HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: ...Reticulating Splines...

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
Bylsma Country Club

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
Interval training is one of the most effective ways to lose body fat and preserve, or even gain muscle. Think hill spints or 40 yard dashes. You can do weight training intervals (metcons) as well. Burpees are good too (and you can do them anywhere). Only do them 3 days/week max since you need 48 hours rest in between. The other days you can do steady-state cardio or just take a brisk walk or swim. Keep up the good work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
Nice job, and follow his advice. But make sure you're not eating like crap, either. If you're cutting, diet is going to be like 90% of what your weight-loss comes from. You're never going to out work a **** diet.
Thanks guys, I'll keep all of this in mind.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:14 AM
cassius

Man.. starting to look at owning real estate and I'm already beyond confused. So many different directions that I could go.

1) Pay a boatloat to buy in an up-and-coming area with the hope of future appreciation (Lawrenceville)

2) Spend a lot and buy in an established area that will continue to go up in value (O'Hara Twp)

3) Find an area that is on the upswing and could develop in the next 5-10 years (North Side)

4) Get a good "value" on a house located outside of the city that will most likely hold its value (Forest Hills)

Way too many options.. I'm puzzled.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Man.. starting to look at owning real estate and I'm already beyond confused. So many different directions that I could go.

1) Pay a boatloat to buy in an up-and-coming area with the hope of future appreciation (Lawrenceville)

2) Spend a lot and buy in an established area that will continue to go up in value (O'Hara Twp)

3) Find an area that is on the upswing and could develop in the next 5-10 years (North Side)

4) Get a good "value" on a house located outside of the city that will most likely hold its value (Forest Hills)

I'd say make the decision based on where you WANT to live in the next 5 years. Appreciation of Real Estate is important, but you still have to live in that community/house etc.

As a young guy that likes to go out (from your posts), I'd vote Lawrenceville based on the little I know of those areas. I grew up in Pittsburgh suburbs but have lived in Cleveland the past 8 years. My wife and I recently bought a house in the "Lawrenceville" of Cleveland called Ohio City. It's probably a little more forward in it's resurgence than Lawrenceville but definitely comparable. We got lucky and found the perfect house for us at the perfect time. Desirable properties here sell in less than a week.

Since we bought our house, 2 sets of townhomes (2 bedrooms 1300 sqft) have been built a block up from us. The first set were selling for 170-190 and sold out quickly. The same exact second set is listed at 210-240 just due to high demand. Our families were calling us crazy for buying in the city because of high taxes/poor schools/etc but we didn't care. We realistically aren't going to have kinds in school for at least 5-7 years so we based our decision on

A.) where we wanted to live
B.) the type of property we wanted (house, newly renovated or one that needed work. We found a fairly new home in a historic neighborhood)
C.) the housing market in the area
D.) school district/taxes

So far it looks like a good decision. We love the living in the city. We still have a yard for entertaining and a small garden. And it looks like housing demand in the area is at an all time high so could sell for a decent profit if we needed to in a few years. Just my 2 cents.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:53 AM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I'd say make the decision based on where you WANT to live in the next 5 years. Appreciation of Real Estate is important, but you still have to live in that community/house etc.

As a young guy that likes to go out (from your posts), I'd vote Lawrenceville based on the little I know of those areas. I grew up in Pittsburgh suburbs but have lived in Cleveland the past 8 years. My wife and I recently bought a house in the "Lawrenceville" of Cleveland called Ohio City. It's probably a little more forward in it's resurgence than Lawrenceville but definitely comparable. We got lucky and found the perfect house for us at the perfect time. Desirable properties here sell in less than a week.

Since we bought our house, 2 sets of townhomes have been built a block up from us. The first set were selling for 170-190 and sold out quickly. The same exact second set is listed at 210-240 just due to high demand. Our families were calling us crazy for buying in the city because of high taxes/poor schools/etc but we didn't care. We realistically aren't going to have kinds in school for at least 5-7 years so we based our decision on

A.) where we wanted to live
B.) the type of property we wanted (house, newly renovated or one that needed work. We found a fairly new home in a historic neighborhood)
C.) the housing market in the area
D.) school district/taxes

So far it looks like a good decision. We love the living in the city. We still have a yard for entertaining and a small garden. And it looks like housing demand in the area is at an all time high so could sell for a decent profit if we needed to in a few years. Just my 2 cents.
First of all, congratulations on your new home - that is exciting stuff! I have not been to Cleveland in a while, but that seems like a really cool area to be a part of.

Thanks for sharing your experience too. Your advice is very applicable because I am in a very similar situation (young person living in the city). Right now I'm renting in Lawrenceville, but I definitely want to own something as soon as possible.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
First of all, congratulations on your new home - that is exciting stuff! I have not been to Cleveland in a while, but that seems like a really cool area to be a part of.

Thanks for sharing your experience too. Your advice is very applicable because I am in a very similar situation (young person living in the city). Right now I'm renting in Lawrenceville, but I definitely want to own something as soon as possible.
Thanks man. We closed on it last June so not quite as recent as I lead on (time has really flown by). Yeah the area is pretty decent as far as Cleveland goes. Great Lakes Brewery, 2 other brewpubs and other bars are all within walking distance. The food scene is great, Tremont is close by (which has tons of awesome restaurants) and we're 2 miles from downtown where I work.

The other component to think about is the budget obviously. We got less house for our money here than in the far out suburbs (30 min from the city) but not THAT much less. Plus the only suburbs we wanted to live in are relatively close to the city with great school districts are more expensive than where we are now.

So in my opinion make the decision on where you want to live in the next 5 or so years and then see what's out there. We were renting here for a year and loved the neighborhood. Kind of on a whim, we decided just to test the waters on what it would cost to own a property here. Once we found the right property, we knew we had to jump on it or else we might lose our chance to own the type of property we wanted in this community. My suspicions seemed to have turned out right.

Anyway, good luck on your search.

Last edited by Shady Machine: 03-22-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old
03-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Man, I really want to go back to New Orleans. I loved it there.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:20 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Butternubs View Post
Man, I really want to go back to New Orleans. I loved it there.
The food in New Orleans is fantastic; i love spicy. The people I've encountered there were kind. It's a great place.
The only thing I didn't really enjoy was Bourbon street, it was like a public toilet.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
The food in New Orleans is fantastic; i love spicy. The people I've encountered there were kind. It's a great place.
The only thing I didn't really enjoy was Bourbon street, it was like a public toilet.
I only did Bourbon St. once at night. I had fun, but once was definitely enough for that trip. Their drink specials are ridiculous and basically encourage binge drinking. 3 beers for the price of 1? Seriously? And my girlfriend and I kind of got coaxed into taking ridiculously expensive (and probably liquorless) test tube shots.

The museums I went to there were interesting. The one that had all of the hurricane history was depressing though. Fats Domino's piano is right there in the lobby, completely ruined by the flood waters still caked with mud. That pretty much set the whole tone of that museum. The museum on the opposite side of the cathedral was actually where the Louisiana Purchase was signed. Overall, the price of admission was well worth it.

We also did a steamboat river cruise with a live jazz band. Kind of cliche, but that was great too.

Our favorite place was a restaurant called Crescent City Brewery. They brew their own beer (which is awesome) and had great food. We went one day for lunch (it was $80+, but whatever) and had to go back the next day for drinks at the bar. We made friends with the bartender who was from Syracuse. He overheard us talking about trying oysters (they had an oyster bar right there) and gave us two to try. We actually liked it and ordered a dozen. Another patron we started talking to was working on a movie (this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1272878/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1) and was very friendly. We actually went back the next night for drinks as well.

I'd like to go back this summer too, but should probably save some money.

Some pics:

View from the hotel balcony

Said jazz band

Bourbon St in the day

At night

Beer and oysters

Old
03-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Nice pics! We went into a couple bars that had some decent jazz and blues bands; I do remember the ridiculous drink specials. The popcorn they had sitting out for bar patrons had hot pepper in it. I've never had it before like that. I remember seeing a lot of voodoo themed stuff too. I brought back a voodoo doll that had pins to stick in it.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

Quote:

City income tax is rough. The school millage I believe is low, but the income tax makes up for it. I'm biased, but Edgewood/Forest Hills is a pretty good option if you want to live near the city (or in Edgewood's case practically in the city), but have reasonable taxes.

If you plan to make a lot of money, but own a conservative amount of property by value, then you'd be better off outside of Pittsburgh from a pure tax perspective. On the other hand, if you plan to invest a lot into your property, the lower pittsburgh school tax may be of benefit. This opinion is based on about 3 minutes worth of research, so I may be wrong.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:45 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

vCash: 50
So after living here in Kitchener for 6 months, my fiancee and I finally had the time to visit the main cigar shop here downtown yesterday.

The walk-in humidor they had was ****ing gorgeous. I was in awe.

Ended up buying a Romeo Y Julieta #2 Tubo cigar (one of my favourites) and a pack of 20 Romeo Y Julieta cigarritos. Which are essentially cigarette-sized Cuban cigars. They are perfect for when you don't have the time, energy, etc. to commit to smoking a big cigar. They last about 10-15 minutes.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Florentino Ariza

Quote:

yea...like Shady said, nowhere in there did you say anything about where you would like to live. Just finances - which is fine cause I know you like that stuff, but still.

Old
03-24-2013, 03:04 PM
66-29-33

Don't do what i do. For the past 3 days i've took 2 caffine pills+5 hour energy (so 6 pills+3 drinks total). I've not felt right for the past few hours. I used to live off 5 hour energy, then caffine pills after (untill i was on the verge of a heart attack). I abuse my body so bad for a quick fix of energy because that "high" is ****in amazing! now i'm just a junky with a huge resistance to it taking them everyday because i'm an addict.

Old
03-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Don't do what i do. For the past 3 days i've took 2 caffine pills+5 hour energy (so 6 pills+3 drinks total). I've not felt right for the past few hours. I used to live off 5 hour energy, then caffine pills after (untill i was on the verge of a heart attack). I abuse my body so bad for a quick fix of energy because that "high" is ****in amazing! now i'm just a junky with a huge resistance to it taking them everyday because i'm an addict.
I try not to mess with energy drinks anymore. I used to drink a large Monster Energy before a game to pump myself up. Definitely increases your heart rate and IMO quickens my thinking ( maybe its increased blood flow to the brain? ). Maybe it was my imagination but my on ice decision making was increased - it was addicting. Then I started feeling my lips get numb afterwards and soreness in my jaw muscles. That was enough to stop cold turkey; I don't need a heart attack.

Drink water; you're probably dehydrated.

Old
03-24-2013, 03:50 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
I try not to mess with energy drinks anymore. I used to drink a large Monster Energy before a game to pump myself up. Definitely increases your heart rate and IMO quickens my thinking ( maybe its increased blood flow to the brain? ). Maybe it was my imagination but my on ice decision making was increased - it was addicting. Then I started feeling my lips get numb afterwards and soreness in my jaw muscles. That was enough to stop cold turkey; I don't need a heart attack.

Drink water; you're probably dehydrated.
I once chugged down 3 big bottles of monster energy drink back to back to back. What i got from 5 hour energy is i could think really fast, move really fast, feel like a boss, my legs tingled and felt warm. I was like i was on fast forward on the VCR. Just getting that feeling back is worth it to me. I know i need to stop and give it up cold turkey ( like any addiction).

Old
03-24-2013, 04:47 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

Found my old Fireball yo-yo in my drawer yesterday. So I've been playing with it again. I forgot how fun yo-yo's are.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:03 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

So after our excellent win over Philthy last night, I sat and smoked the Romeo Y Julieta cigar I bought on Saturday.

I haven't smoked a cigar that fresh and enjoyable in ages. It was great.

Closed Thread