HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Why Does EVERYONE Want Lecavalier So Bad?

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2006, 11:31 PM
The Big Chill

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Big Chill
Why Does EVERYONE Want Lecavalier So Bad?

Why is everyone offering proposals for Vinny Lecavalier? I doubt he will even go anywhere, and you are offering up HALF of the core of your team to get your mitts on a guy that isn't even that good.

Pointless thread, I just wanna know why people are giving an arm and a leg, plus another arm and a leg (to the third degree) to get this guy. Honestly, I'd rather go after St. Louis. He's going to want a fat contract, but he is small and fast and has great vision. Besides that, he can shoot the puck well.

IMO, Vinny is overrated. I would NOT want him, at least not for what everyone is offering to give up. I wanna know what I am not seeing in this guy that everyone else is.

This guy may be a proven NHLer but I'm not gonna offer up a 1st, three decent/pretty good players, and a goaltender to get him...

Your thoughts? Somebody fill me in.

Last edited by The Big Chill: 06-10-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old
06-10-2006, 11:44 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

not even that good?

Old
06-10-2006, 11:47 PM
The Big Chill

Yes, not even that good.

I would go after guys like Elias or Gaborik before I would ever go after Lecavalier.

Trash me all you want.

Old
06-10-2006, 11:47 PM
boredmale

give me richards and his contract over Lecavalier anyday

Old
06-10-2006, 11:51 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Why?

Because he's 26 years old, he's big (6'4" 210 lbs.), and performs well in the playoffs.

Old
06-10-2006, 11:55 PM
MathMan

And there's a perception that Tampa needs to free up cap space.

The perception may not be shared by Jay Feaster, however.

Old
06-10-2006, 11:58 PM
CronoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89
Why?

Because he's 26 years old, he's big (6'4" 210 lbs.), and performs well in the playoffs.
... and he's got dreamy eyes.

Seriously, lots of people seem to have man-crushes on Vinny. I like the guy as a hockey player. I think he's worthy of a 1st line, but not franchise centerman (yet). He's good, but lots of people overrate him just a little bit.

Old
06-11-2006, 12:07 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

it's not that everyone wants him that bad. fans in montreal are just doing him a favor, granting his obvious desire to don the bleu blanc et rouge

Old
06-11-2006, 12:17 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89
performs well enough in the playoffs.
Fixed that for you. Vinny is a player I like but he doesn't necessarily step up his game during the playoffs.

06-11-2006, 12:18 AM
richardn

I would love to have Vinny but trading for him would do the Leafs no good because we would be trading away all of our young talent to get him and then have no money left to get players to play with both Sundin and Vinny. Vinny is a very explosive player who can take control of a game at any time. This is why people want him so bad. His point production is not up to everyone's expectations but anybody who has seen him play would be out of their mind to think that he is not amung the top Centers in the NHL. I personally would rather trade to get Marleau who is 2.5 million cheaper and about the same, Marleau may even be better.

Old
06-11-2006, 12:33 AM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM sabre fan
Why is everyone offering proposals for Vinny Lecavalier? I doubt he will even go anywhere, and you are offering up HALF of the core of your team to get your mitts on a guy that isn't even that good.

Pointless thread, I just wanna know why people are giving an arm and a leg, plus another arm and a leg (to the third degree) to get this guy. Honestly, I'd rather go after St. Louis. He's going to want a fat contract, but he is small and fast and has great vision. Besides that, he can shoot the puck well.

IMO, Vinny is overrated. I would NOT want him, at least not for what everyone is offering to give up. I wanna know what I am not seeing in this guy that everyone else is.

This guy may be a proven NHLer but I'm not gonna offer up a 1st, three decent/pretty good players, and a goaltender to get him...

Your thoughts? Somebody fill me in.

Thank you.

He is a good player, but he isn't worth a whole heck of a lot to me anyway. I would begin to trade off solid young prospects for him because his cap hit is too much for what he provides (70-80 points?).

Good leader, good enough* in the playoffs as a poster above pointed out...but I'd much rather go after a cheaper alternate then go after Lecavalier.

Old
06-11-2006, 12:33 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM sabre fan
You may not like him, but Lecavalier is a franchise center...and they aren't exactly easy to find.

Old
06-11-2006, 12:39 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Everyone = Montreal fans.

Old
06-11-2006, 12:44 AM
Spetzky

Send a message via MSN to Spetzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19
You may not like him, but Lecavalier is a franchise center...and they aren't exactly easy to find.
Brad Richards vs. Vincent Lecavalier. Lecavalier =/= Team's Franchise Center

Old
06-11-2006, 12:45 AM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice
Fixed that for you. Vinny is a player I like but he doesn't necessarily step up his game during the playoffs.
I don't know about that. The only times he's struggled in the playoffs were against New Jersey in 03 and when Peca was shawdoing him in 04 against the Isles. Those are the two negatives on his playoff resume (every player has them), but other than that he's played well in the playoffs and been one of the Lightning's best players.

I agree with Sensguy's post, it's really only been Montreal fans who have been making proposals for him.

Old
06-11-2006, 12:55 AM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
So many 'star' players are overrated that the 'stars' in the league in general are skewed. What really is an NHL star?

Old
06-11-2006, 01:14 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02
I don't know about that. The only times he's struggled in the playoffs were against New Jersey in 03 and when Peca was shawdoing him in 04 against the Isles. Those are the two negatives on his playoff resume (every player has them), but other than that he's played well in the playoffs and been one of the Lightning's best players.
I don't disagree with that. The examples you cited are being ineffective but what I was saying is he plays well enough. He puts up good numbers but not great numbers and his performances in the playoffs are a mirror image (he will have a few games where he is just truly dominant however). The poster I was quoting was giving examples of why someone would trade for Lecavalier mentioning the playoffs. I am of the opinion he doesn't and hasn't done anything extrordinary to be considered a playoff performer over a guy like Thornton who is regarded on this board as a playoff choker.

Old
06-11-2006, 01:21 AM
not quite yoda

"Vincent Lecavalier is the Micheal Jordan of hockey"

-Art Williams

Old
06-11-2006, 01:25 AM
Coug555

I've always thought he kinda looks like a donkey?

Old
06-11-2006, 05:04 AM
Noutaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
"Vincent Lecavalier is the Micheal Jordan of hockey"

-Art Williams
Case closed.

Old
06-11-2006, 05:08 AM
pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Attack
So many 'star' players are overrated that the 'stars' in the league in general are skewed. What really is an NHL star?
A player in Dallas.

Old
06-11-2006, 08:04 AM
Sens Rule

With his contract offering up a ton for Lecavalier doesn't make sense. The thing with Lecavalier is that he always leaves you wanting more. He is a great player. One of the better forwards in the NHL. But when you watch him play you think "why isn't he the best player in the league". He has every tool you can possibly imagine. He, in my opinion hasn't got the max from his talent and probably never will I guess. I'm not saying he doesn't try or care but there just is something keeping him from the maximum utilization of his massive talent. So many years into his career it seems he won't ever really put it all together. If he does he'll get 40 goals and 100 points every single year until he is 35.

Old
06-11-2006, 08:22 AM
gars59

cause he is the next jean beliveau

Old
06-11-2006, 09:20 AM
The Big Chill

I agree that it is mostly all Montreal fans who are overpaying. But here's my take on it (what I would offer):

To Buffalo: Vincent Lecavalier

To Tampa: Marty Biron, Max Afinogenov, MAYBE a late pick if needed

Buffalo gets this "skilled center who is explosive and has all the tools you need." They also dump salary.

Tampa gets a great number one goalie, since Grahame is inconsistent? They also get a winger with great hands and good vision when he decides to not be fancy with it. A hell of a wristshot too.

I don't think this is overpayment or underpayment. This is what I would do. I'm not trying to make this a "homer trade" either.

Old
06-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Can we please have a Lecavalier thread for the offseason rather than having atleast one thread a day pop up about him?

We could leave it open for the offseason and close it down when Lecavalier is still on the Lightning the day of opening night.

Closed Thread