HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OKC Barons @ Texas Stars, Wednesday 11/21 6:30PM MDT

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2012, 12:05 AM
scid14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
I watched the game.
Okay, that answers my question then.

For anyone that didn't watch it. There is still a player in Rajala, he just needs the right situation. Obviously he needs to add some weight but he is not afraid of contact by any means.

Old
11-22-2012, 12:24 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by scid14 View Post
Okay, that answers my question then.

For anyone that didn't watch it. There is still a player in Rajala, he just needs the right situation. Obviously he needs to add some weight but he is not afraid of contact by any means.
Agreed, he didn't shy away from contact at all, not sure why Tiger said that he was avoiding contact.
I remember him playing unafraid in the WHL as well.
It's obvious that he really needs to bulk up but he seems to have the right attitude.

Old
11-22-2012, 12:47 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
You missed my point. The NHL is full of big d-men who are also much more mobile than an average AHL defenseman. To have any kind of success in the bigs, Rajala will have to go to dangerous areas and I don't think he can handle the punishment physically. For this reason, avoiding the contact is pretty much a matter of survival for him. This is very different from Paajarvi, whose problem is mental.
That's a whole different point than what you said last time.

Small skilled players can succeed at the NHL level. But it isn't very common, hence the reason why he fell so much on draft day.

Old
11-22-2012, 02:30 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Schultz has a ridiculous wrister. It's just flat out ridiculous for a defenseman to have that kind of release with that kind of accuracy.

It's basically Letang-level, if Schultz can ever develop the kind of defensive game Letang has, watch out.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
11-22-2012, 03:40 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Schultz has a ridiculous wrister. It's just flat out ridiculous for a defenseman to have that kind of release with that kind of accuracy.

It's basically Letang-level, if Schultz can ever develop the kind of defensive game Letang has, watch out.
Letang is quite overrated defensively IMO. Perhaps the weakest of the Pens top4 in the past couple of years. They tend to leak goals as it is, but in terms of defensive ability in the past 2-3 years:

Michalek
Orpik
Letang

And lo and behold. These have been his partners for the majority of that time. Gives him the semblance of a top-notch defender, when if anything he's average.

For Schultz I'd be hoping for a D-game built on awareness and speed like a Niedermeyer in his prime (also overrated) and someone like Brian Campbell right now (vastly underrated).

Old
11-22-2012, 09:54 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
9 points out of 10 in our last 5 games played. Pretty good
Fire Nelson

Old
11-22-2012, 09:58 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Dont look at Lander's stats.
Haha. Touche.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Petro Points

Rajala had a good first game but wasnt anything spectacular. He should be a valuable AHLer once the NHL season resumes and our big guns are back in Edmonton.

Hartikainen, Arcobello and Eberle would be my 3 stars from last night.

Old
11-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Letang is quite overrated defensively IMO. Perhaps the weakest of the Pens top4 in the past couple of years. They tend to leak goals as it is, but in terms of defensive ability in the past 2-3 years:

Michalek
Orpik
Letang

And lo and behold. These have been his partners for the majority of that time. Gives him the semblance of a top-notch defender, when if anything he's average.

For Schultz I'd be hoping for a D-game built on awareness and speed like a Niedermeyer in his prime (also overrated) and someone like Brian Campbell right now (vastly underrated).

Have to disagree with this strongly. From what I've seen of Letang, he is by far the Penguins best dman. He controls the game and tempo from the back end, and while not the prototypical 6'4" stud dman, plays a pretty good physical game and is good enough in his own end. I think he's been overworked the last couple years because of the Pens lack of depth on the blueline, if anything.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
all i ever take away from these games is that the Barons, particularly their star players, don't play at full intensity for long stretches, or that they're just not worried/don't care. I mean some do, but definitely not all of them. Justin Schultz really is fantastic though. He looks like a guy who easily has top pairing potential at the next level. I just hope after his 2 year deal is up he gets extended by the Oil. Oh, and Hall looks RUSTY.
Why would you bring this up as a concern? He projects to be their best defenceman, by far. The chances of the Oil not extending this kid is probably as close to 0 as you can get.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:27 AM
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor

Has anybody been able to get the game videos to work from the Oilers site? I tried 3 different browsers to watch the highlites. I get interviews and stuff, but not the actual goal highlites.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:53 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
Has anybody been able to get the game videos to work from the Oilers site? I tried 3 different browsers to watch the highlites. I get interviews and stuff, but not the actual goal highlites.
I couldn't get that working either. I just followed the youtube link on the Barons website

Old
11-22-2012, 12:00 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post

It would obviously be great, but at the same time I hope (and think) that they will continue to let him play his game to further improve his already amazing offensive upside.

In my perfect world he'll become a 'E.Karlsson - season 11/12' type of player (and in my even more perfect world he'll be paired with Klefbom who'll provide for rock solid back-cover... But there are too many if:s involved when talking about young D-men, and especially Klefbom who's yet to try out his game in NA).

Old
11-22-2012, 12:25 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Rajala had a good first game but wasnt anything spectacular. He should be a valuable AHLer once the NHL season resumes and our big guns are back in Edmonton.

Hartikainen, Arcobello and Eberle would be my 3 stars from last night.
yeah his wrister is crazy really... it doesn't seem like its that hard, but just really accurate and he has an ability to get it on net from the point .... which is a very underappreciated skill, this was lidstrom's best PP skill IMO (no, i'm not comparing him to lidstrom, lol)... whats nice is that he doesn't *just* have a wrister, he makes smart plays in the offensive zone as a whole, and his passing, while not elite, is more than adequate... schultz will get some PP points on the oilers, no question about that

his defence isn't terrible at the AHL level either, in fact i would argue his positioning is extermely good for a rookie AHLer, and he uses his stick very well... all the reports about his stick work being very good were not exaggerated

i have fantasties of klefbom and him being a fanstastic pairing in 2-3 years from now... schultz playing the offensive role and klefbom being the defensive rock.... a smid-schultz pairing could also be used in the same manner.... we got really lucky with schultz, really lucky

Old
11-22-2012, 12:47 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
yeah his wrister is crazy really... it doesn't seem like its that hard, but just really accurate and he has an ability to get it on net from the point .... which is a very underappreciated skill, this was lidstrom's best PP skill IMO (no, i'm not comparing him to lidstrom, lol)... whats nice is that he doesn't *just* have a wrister, he makes smart plays in the offensive zone as a whole, and his passing, while not elite, is more than adequate... schultz will get some PP points on the oilers, no question about that

his defence isn't terrible at the AHL level either, in fact i would argue his positioning is extermely good for a rookie AHLer, and he uses his stick very well... all the reports about his stick work being very good were not exaggerated

i have fantasties of klefbom and him being a fanstastic pairing in 2-3 years from now... schultz playing the offensive role and klefbom being the defensive rock.... a smid-schultz pairing could also be used in the same manner.... we got really lucky with schultz, really lucky
Luck + Hall, RNH, Yakupov, Eberle...

Old
11-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
Luck + Hall, RNH, Yakupov, Eberle...
+ Kruger's jedi powers

Old
11-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post

Klefbom-Schultz
Smid-Petry

IMO that is a solid top 4 and the "smallest" guy is Schultz at 6'2" tall. That and all 4 are good skaters. Later on add in a guy like Marincin and defense looks like a strength instead of a weakness IMO.

11-22-2012, 04:00 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Klefbom-Schultz
Smid-Petry

IMO that is a solid top 4 and the "smallest" guy is Schultz at 6'2" tall. That and all 4 are good skaters. Later on add in a guy like Marincin and defense looks like a strength instead of a weakness IMO.
They need a veteran in there capable of playing 20-25 minutes against tough competition.

Smid is solid. Petry is still developing and will have his ups and downs in the course of the season.
Schulz should be good for 20 minutes of hockey at the NHL level with lots of PP time, but may struggle defensively.
Klefbom has yet to play a game in the NHL or AHL for that matter. He may do well for all we know, but chances are he will struggle in his first season.

I think signing a veteran like R. Regehr (UFA in 2013) would go a long way to improving this young defence.

Petry-Regehr
J.Schulz-Smid
N.Schulz-Klefbom
Potter

No need to rush Marincin--let him play at least 2, better 3 full seasons in the AHL.

Old
11-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Mmm Regehr

Just to replace Sutton

Old
11-22-2012, 04:07 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Klefbom-Schultz
Smid-Petry

J.Schultz must of grown a inch since he went to the Barons.

IMO Klefbom will most likely start out in the AHL next year and will be a call up. Too much youth and inexperience for the Oilers D to start the season. N.Schultz will most likely be traded towards the end of the season and Klefbom or Marincin will be a called up.

Old
11-22-2012, 04:23 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 448
Quote:
They need a veteran in there capable of playing 20-25 minutes against tough competition.

Smid is solid. Petry is still developing and will have his ups and downs in the course of the season.
Schulz should be good for 20 minutes of hockey at the NHL level with lots of PP time, but may struggle defensively.
Klefbom has yet to play a game in the NHL or AHL for that matter. He may do well for all we know, but chances are he will struggle in his first season.

I think signing a veteran like R. Regehr (UFA in 2013) would go a long way to improving this young defence.

Petry-Regehr
J.Schulz-Smid
N.Schulz-Klefbom
Potter

No need to rush Marincin--let him play at least 2, better 3 full seasons in the AHL.
While I'd take Regehr, it's wishful thinking to think he can play 20-25 this year, let alone in 13-14.

Old
11-22-2012, 05:28 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
While I'd take Regehr, it's wishful thinking to think he can play 20-25 this year, let alone in 13-14.
Agreed. At this point, we'd be getting him for bottom pairing duty and to step in when injuries occur

Old
11-22-2012, 06:09 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Agreed. At this point, we'd be getting him for bottom pairing duty and to step in when injuries occur
Has he regressed so much? I was under the impression he was still a solid top 4 guy.

P.S. Just looked up Regehr's stats from last season. He was 5th in total ice-time PG on the Buffalo team averaging over 18 minutes per game. Granted Buffalo has some great defensemen ahead of him, his +/- does seem to indicate he's no longer the player he used to be. Oh well, I guess he'd still be a good addition to the bottom pairing.

Last edited by tiger_80: 11-22-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old
11-22-2012, 06:27 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Who knows, the Barons site has him at 6'2 (as does eliteprospects). But the Oilers and most others have him at 6'1. I'd almost take the Barons word for it since they're likely the only ones who have actually measured him recently...

Old
11-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post

IMO Klefbom will most likely start out in the AHL next year and will be a call up. Too much youth and inexperience for the Oilers D to start the season. N.Schultz will most likely be traded towards the end of the season and Klefbom or Marincin will be a called up.
By the time these clowns settle and divvy up the cash, the young guys on the farm will be seasoned vets.

Closed Thread