HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jonasen

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2003, 06:40 PM
LeServ

vCash: 500
Jonasen

He couldn't have had a better opening night for Tri-City. Hat trick and first star.

Old
09-20-2003, 06:55 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Woo... Beat me to it. I was going to post the same thing.

Go Yonny!

Old
09-20-2003, 07:42 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
wasn't he a Rockstrom pick?

Old
09-20-2003, 08:19 PM
LeServ

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
wasn't he a Rockstrom pick?
Absolutely. Right after he was drafted I was at this fan thing with Sather and I asked him about Jonasen. Said Rockstrom liked him a lot. Personally, he had no idea who the kid was. They've been raving about him in Tri-City. Said he skates like a western Canadian kid. He's quick, has a good shot and mainly hits everything in sight.

Old
09-20-2003, 08:54 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

another pretty good pick by sather. God i hope he is a diamond in the rough!

Old
09-20-2003, 08:56 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar jar links
another pretty good pick by sather. God i hope he is a diamond in the rough!
Sather is not the one who picks these players, he doesn't even know who they are up until the day of the draft

Old
09-20-2003, 09:18 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Sather is not the one who picks these players, he doesn't even know who they are up until the day of the draft
Well, he does get the last word. I understand he is not picking the players but if he vetoes somebody the scouts and tom renny would have to pick somebody else. Sather did a fantastic job with the scouting department. He clearly trust his scouts and renney.

Old
09-20-2003, 09:43 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar jar links
Well, he does get the last word. I understand he is not picking the players but if he vetoes somebody the scouts and tom renny would have to pick somebody else. Sather did a fantastic job with the scouting department. He clearly trust his scouts and renney.
Niklas Lidstrom, Sergei Federov, Alexei Kovalev, Mattias Norstrom, Niklas Sundstrom, Sergei Zubov, Sergei Nemchinov, Vlad Konstantino, Kim Johnsson, Henrik Lundqvist, Ivan Baranka, Tomas Kloucek, Johan Holmqvist, Fedor Tyutin, Marek Zidlicky

all were Rockstrom picks, not the GM picks, Rockstrom picked the players

I'll eat my foot if he ever vetoes a Rockstrom pick but in actuality he hasn't nor will he ever nor should he ever and unless I'm mistaken he doesn't even draft the players like you imply, Tom Renny does, Sather just manages it

Old
09-20-2003, 09:46 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
all were Rockstrom picks, not the GM picks, Rockstrom picked the players

I'll eat my foot if he ever vetoes a Rockstrom pick but in actuality he hasn't nor will he ever nor should he ever and unless I'm mistaken he doesn't even draft the players like you imply, Tom Renny does, Sather just manages it
Yes, but Sather hired these guys and put them in charge. If we are going to bash the heck out of Sather for making bad picks, then we must at least give credit where credit is due.

Old
09-20-2003, 09:47 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Yes, but Sather hired these guys and put them in charge. If we are going to bash the heck out of Sather for making bad picks, then we must at least give credit where credit is due.
no he didn't, they were already here before Sather

and if you think Sather is so good with hiring talent scouts, check out what he did in Edmonton after the Gretzky era

Old
09-20-2003, 09:56 PM
Barnaby

Quote:

and if you think Sather is so good with hiring talent scouts, check out what he did in Edmonton after the Gretzky era
I'm not saying Sather is a God, but we have all seen huge threads with people naming all of Sathers bad picks. Now he drafts some good players, and he shouldn't get any credit? I am by no means a Sather fan, but how can this guy win?

Old
09-20-2003, 09:58 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
I'm not saying Sather is a God, but we have all seen huge threads with people naming all of Sathers bad picks. Now he drafts some good players, and he shouldn't get any credit? I am by no means a Sather fan, but how can this guy win?
when has "he" drafted anyone bad for NYR?
don't ever remember seeing a thread about it either

he doesn't Draft these Rangers players so he doesn't deserve credit for either side

Old
09-21-2003, 12:00 AM
Edge

i will give him credit where credit it due here.

He has picked some projects and some kids who have good fundamentals with what they do.

Whether they play in the NHL remains to be seen, now if only there was a motivation factor for them.

Old
09-21-2003, 04:45 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
when has "he" drafted anyone bad for NYR?
don't ever remember seeing a thread about it either

he doesn't Draft these Rangers players so he doesn't deserve credit for either side

You must be new around here.On this board and every other Ranger fan board,every draft pick selected by the Rangers under Glen Sather is dissected in ten different ways ten minutes after the pick is made.When some fans disagree with the selection of the player,they blame Sather.You haven't seen it.Look more carefully.You must have missed the Herb Hammond and Martin Madden love fest threads.

Christer Rockstrom suggests or gives his opinion when they discuss the players.Not only the European players.Rockstrom sees the North American players also in different tournaments the US and Canada play in Europe.Tom Renney and Don Maloney would travel at least twice during the season to look at various European and North American players playing in the under 18 WJC and WJC held during the holidays.Renney had the final say on all selections.Maloney will handle those duties this season.

Old
09-21-2003, 07:08 AM
LeServ

Let's just say Sather has the good sense to listen to Christer. Rockstrom has a great record of finding unheralded kids who become major talents. I think in his later years in Edmonton he invested the same kind of faith in some lousy scouts (Pendergast?).

Old
09-21-2003, 08:48 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
You must be new around here.On this board and every other Ranger fan board,every draft pick selected by the Rangers under Glen Sather is dissected in ten different ways ten minutes after the pick is made.When some fans disagree with the selection of the player,they blame Sather.You haven't seen it.Look more carefully.You must have missed the Herb Hammond and Martin Madden love fest threads.
prove it by finding me those threads that's the only way I'll be convinced, just because I registered a new nick doesn't mean I'm new around here. nice try

Old
09-21-2003, 11:08 AM
Fletch

There has been some Sather bashing...

in terms of his drafting, although much of it has been centered around Edmonton, post-TGO. Several picks have been questioned, but I think for the most part there's a bit of excitement surrounding some of his picks, including Blackburn, Tutin, Murray and now Staals. But the real criticism lies, and Edge alluded to this, in how they get to the NHL. Obviously none of his picks are older than 21 years old (except for Zidlicky, and he's not even with the Rangers any longer), so not many have been 'blocked' by the aging vets, but we'll see what happens if Tutin looks like an NHLer in December, or Murray's showing no ill-effects over surgery and looks as though he can contribute, or Staals and Moore (not a Sather pick, but he's still miraculous here) are tearing it up in the AHL, or Blackburn has an under 2.00 GAA and over .920 save %...what happens then? To next season?

Old
09-21-2003, 11:54 AM
NYR469

Quote:
rockstrom is one of the only scouts that was here before sather and regardless sather is responsible for him still being here, over 3 years he could have easily let him go if he wanted...

basically the point that Barnaby was trying to make is that either sather is responsible for the picks or he isn't...either renney is responsible for the picks or he isn't...either rockstrom is responsible for the picks or he isn't, etc

you can't pick and choice who is responsible based on the results and say it is sather fault when they don't work out and thanks to rockstrom when they do work out...

either sather gets no blame for the bad picks or he also gets credit for the good ones

Old
09-21-2003, 11:56 AM
ddheyman

Quote:
prove it by finding me those threads that's the only way I'll be convinced, just because I registered a new nick doesn't mean I'm new around here. nice try
This has nothing to do with "trying" ... it is a statement of fact that on this board Sather is castigated for every pick he makes and anything that doesn't work out is his fault. Conversely it is inappropriate to state that he should get no credit as a GM for drafting players that may turn out to be NHL caliber.

I don't like Sather. Period. But you can't have it both ways. Either he gets ultimate credit for drafting and development (something we have terrible at) or he takes the blame. He can't get the blame and receive no credit. Doesn't work like that (except of course on Ranger boards).

Old
09-21-2003, 11:57 AM
NYR469

rockstrom has plenty of guys that didn't work out too

Old
09-21-2003, 12:05 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
rockstrom has plenty of guys that didn't work out too
you sather lovers are ridiculous

first you're crediting him for not firing Rockstrom

then you're trying to bring down Rockstrom's value by saying plenty of his picks haven't worked out.. how ignorant of a statement is that

every scout has picks that don't turn out but only the great scouts have picks that do turn out and turn INTO the Federovs, Lidstroms and Kovalevs of the world

you would be hard pressed to find any other scout who even has as good of a record as Rockstrom

Old
09-21-2003, 12:08 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddheyman
I don't like Sather. Period. But you can't have it both ways. Either he gets ultimate credit for drafting and development (something we have terrible at) or he takes the blame. He can't get the blame and receive no credit. Doesn't work like that (except of course on Ranger boards).
well if you read my previous post you would see that I said he doesn't deserve credit for any of his picks, good or bad

Old
09-21-2003, 12:44 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

sather does deserve credit for not firiing rockstrom. its rare for a gm to keep people that the previous regime hired. it wasnt a no brainer to keep rockstrom. sather also deserves credit for not trading away the next amonte or weight. the guy sather traded that has done anything is york. but i would take poti over york 6 days a week and twice on sunday

Old
09-21-2003, 02:15 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Rockstrom is considered a genius in terms of scouting. It was completely atypical of Jackass NOT to fire him, especially considering the stellar picks the Sather regime made in the past... Steve Kelly, Jason Bonsignore, etc. Any team can get a Daigle with all the talent and none of the heart every once in a while, but how many GMs had as much staying power as Sather with the absolutely atrocious drafting record?

Old
09-22-2003, 12:38 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

Nice try?If you have been here for a while as you claim,then your memory must going if you don't remember any of the criticism directed towards the Rangers drafts under Glen Sather.

Closed Thread