HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marian Gaborik at 2013 Draft

Old
11-21-2012, 11:45 PM
Dactyl

vCash: 500
as a ranger fan i would rather hang onto gabs for that last year

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:47 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Martinez can definitely have an argument for being the center piece in the trade IMO. His possession numbers are quite good. I think he can be a sustainable fixture on the top 4 for the long haul on the Rangers. I don't think he's that top 4 guy yet though. Fan of King as well to be the 3rd line C of the future as well. Williams can take Gaborik's spot on the first line.
I think if theres a season this year Alec will be ready for top 4 mins by the time hes traded to you. If not he ll be ready in a year to move up which i think would suit your teams needs.

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 12:08 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
No way in hell. Firstly, it puts the Sharks way over the salary cap. Secondly, hell no to Gaborik, we already have our own glass-man in Havlat, and thirdly, Gaborik is not going to put the Sharks over the top. They're done trading good prospects and 1sts at this point.

Just no.
I was just gauging the barometer value. San Jose has the perfect set of assets to acquire Gaborik, so I merely used them as an example of a package that can be offered for him.

Gaborik has missed 26 games in 3 seasons with the Rangers. His reputation as 'glass-man' is way overblown. In the same time frame, Havlat has missed 2x as many games.

I don't really see the comparison between Gaborik and Havlat either, they are very different players.

I think Gaborik would fit real well with San Jose as they are in some need of a winger with speed and finishing ability. He would be great alongside Thornton. He is certainly a piece that can put them over the top, I just don't see many holes on the Sharks.

Obviously there is risk involved in trading a first rounder for a rental, but Doug Wilson hasn't backed down from these trades before. See Rivet, Guerin and Campbell.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 12:15 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
I was just gauging the barometer value. San Jose has the perfect set of assets to acquire Gaborik, so I merely used them as an example of a package that can be offered for him.

Gaborik has missed 26 games in 3 seasons with the Rangers. His reputation as 'glass-man' is way overblown. In the same time frame, Havlat has missed 2x as many games.

I don't really see the comparison between Gaborik and Havlat either, they are very different players.

I think Gaborik would fit real well with San Jose as they are in some need of a winger with speed and finishing ability. He would be great alongside Thornton. He is certainly a piece that can put them over the top, I just don't see many holes on the Sharks.
Holes? Jeez, the Sharks have holes. The entire third line, for starters. The #4D spot (I'm not counting on Stuart to be top-4). Questionable starting goaltending. Coaching. Boyle aging. Clowe potentially leaving.

Trust me. As someone who watches every Sharks game, the Sharks are not a Gaborik away from a Cup.

I agree that Havlat and Gaborik are much different players (other than speed). That wasn't actually the point. Imagine both Havlat and Gaborik get hurt. That's $12M on the IR. That can't happen.

Also, Gaborik is a lefty, so that's no good for Thornton.

Anyway, I happen to be really high on Hertl (I watch a fair amount of his Czech Extraliga games) and I also think that the Sharks 1st will be in the 12-18 range, where there is quite a bit of talent in this particular draft. And lastly, I expect Jason Demers to rebound and be a solid #4 defenseman. He's a really talented kid who had way too much thrown against him last season (injuries, competing with Justin Braun, being in the doghouse because the coach loves vets, being played on his off-side sometimes, and playing mostly with the human anchor known to the masses as Colin White0.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
As usual one thing is being overlooked here. Gaborik really wanted to be in New York and likes being there. He has a NTC and will probably only waive it for just a couple teams. What will they give and who are they? Why would Gaborik after help making New York relevant again accept the move? So other guys can get paid, I doubt that very much. Even if he rides it out and gets no shot at being there in two years he still gets two cracks at the cup and then can pick his next destination. I don't see any way he waives his NTC.
Thank you.

He just bought an apartment in New York, and has no desire to leave, and the Rangers have no reason to let him go

Tanner Glass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Trade him to NJ

Devils Trap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Assuming Gaborik waives for MIN, the team he betrayed, how about Setoguchi/Bouchard, Coyle/Larsson/Zucker, a first (assuming we have a season, top-10 protected) a 2nd and a 3rd if the first gets protected, and Brodziak?

If this was on draft day, I'd give NYR MIN's entire draft other than the first. I wouldn't want to trade our first in a draft better than 2003.

As a Rangers fan, I wouldn't want to see Gaborik go, but as a Wild fan, I'd scream like a little girl (assuming we don't sell the farm).

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 08:37 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Why are we worrying about this now? You don't think the Rangers are gonna take a run at the cup with Gaborik?

Reading way too much into the future.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 08:40 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

If Phoenix can free up a little cap space, they should - and prolly will - leap at the opportunity to get a guy like Gaborik for cents on the dollar (and let's be real here, if the Rangers do move Gabby, there is no way it will be for full value).

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 08:45 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Rangers View Post
Assuming Gaborik waives for MIN, the team he betrayed, how about Setoguchi/Bouchard, Coyle/Larsson/Zucker, a first (assuming we have a season, top-10 protected) a 2nd and a 3rd if the first gets protected, and Brodziak?

If this was on draft day, I'd give NYR MIN's entire draft other than the first. I wouldn't want to trade our first in a draft better than 2003.

As a Rangers fan, I wouldn't want to see Gaborik go, but as a Wild fan, I'd scream like a little girl (assuming we don't sell the farm).
Yes. That deal is basically what you guys got for Burns, which is exactly what we'd be looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
If Phoenix can free up a little cap space, they should - and prolly will - leap at the opportunity to get a guy like Gaborik for cents on the dollar (and let's be real here, if the Rangers do move Gabby, there is no way it will be for full value).
If push comes to shove and we only get low ball offers for our multiple 40+ goal scorer, we'll do some clever accounting with other players for the one year. If he goes, it'll be for the standard price of a 1 year rental.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Yes. That deal is basically what you guys got for Burns, which is exactly what we'd be looking for

If push comes to shove and we only get low ball offers for our multiple 40+ goal scorer, we'll do some clever accounting with other players for the one year. If he goes, it'll be for the standard price of a 1 year rental.
Yup. Burns deal is the barometer for Gaborik value imo.

I'd take Zucker, 1st and Seto.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

So would a Burns for Gaborik deal work? Seeing as Girardi is UFA soon, NYR will need a top right D to replace him if needed.

Just curious, seeing as he is the benchmark for value.
------------------------------------------------------------
I also highly doubt Gaborik will waive for Phoenix. He left Minnesota to play under the spotlight, he wouldn't want to play in a half empty arena.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 09:32 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
So would a Burns for Gaborik deal work? Seeing as Girardi is UFA soon, NYR will need a top right D to replace him if needed.

Just curious, seeing as he is the benchmark for value.
------------------------------------------------------------
I also highly doubt Gaborik will waive for Phoenix. He left Minnesota to play under the spotlight, he wouldn't want to play in a half empty arena.
No, we're trading Gaborik for cap space, not to get a player signed for a huge cap hit, too. We want similar value to what Burns got.

And Girardi is a UFA in 2 years, but so are Callahan and Lundqvist. These players love it here. If they still are at the same level and we pay them a fair price, they won't leave.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 09:41 PM
KidRobot

Send a message via AIM to KidRobot
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
umm... if thats all it takes then as a Caps fan id do it in a heatbeat.

A last first for a full year of Gaborik

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Gaborik
Johansson-Riberio-Brouwer
Chimera-Laich-Wolski

Might not win the cup but atleast we might finally pass the second round. But i highly doubt Gaborik will go for a first round pick only
Something tells me you don't have a grasp on how Gaborik plays in the playoffs.

KidRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:00 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRobot View Post
Something tells me you don't have a grasp on how Gaborik plays in the playoffs.
Something tells me that you don't have a grasp for how it is to play with a torn labrum in your shooting arm.

Old
11-23-2012, 10:22 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Will you please stop making it seem as though the Sharks are interested in dealing their 27 y/o #1D for a 30 y/o left-handed glassman?

Old
11-23-2012, 10:49 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Will you please stop making it seem as though the Sharks are interested in dealing their 27 y/o #1D for a 30 y/o left-handed glassman?
They will when you realize the glass man thing has left Gaborik.

He's missed how many games in NY? Please, do pray tell us. Since you seem to know that he's missed so many over the 3 seasons he's played here.

Old
11-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

From Nucks
Gaunce, Tanev 1st for Gaborik

From Blues
Ponich McRae 1st for Gaborik

From Stars
Matt Fraser Oleksiak 1st for Gaborik

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:52 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
They will when you realize the glass man thing has left Gaborik.

He's missed how many games in NY? Please, do pray tell us. Since you seem to know that he's missed so many over the 3 seasons he's played here.
I've suddenly realized that Gaborik is an ironman! That will make the the Burns proposals go away! Seems logical!

Old
11-23-2012, 11:01 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
I've suddenly realized that Gaborik is an ironman! That will make the the Burns proposals go away! Seems logical!
No more logical than calling him a glassman when he's missed a total of 26 games in 3 years with the Rangers, and played in all 102 of the Rangers games last season.

Last edited by piqued: 11-23-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: unnecessary
Old
11-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Mgd31

I bet the Rangers hold onto to him for that last year for an obvious run at the Cup.

Mgd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:00 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
If the Rangers trade Gaborik, it's because they can't carry his 7.5 million dollar deal and/or his production dipped below the point where they can justify keeping him around at that price point due to injuries or otherwise. Neither one of those things screams "full value."

Also, Brent Burns is a poor comparable because Burns was younger at the time of the deal, plays a more important position and San Jose could name their own price.

And the biggest difference between Phoenix and Minny is that Phoenix is actually a good team. If the Rags asked Gabby to waive his NTC, you'd have to think he'd look long and hard about a squad that's at most a year removed from their Conference Finals with a clear spot for him in the lineup, regardless of where they were located.

Old
11-23-2012, 12:04 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:

You're valuation are completely off. This would be a terrible, terrible deal for the Wild.

Setoguchi for Gaborik is all I would do at this point. And I an not sure I would do that if Setoguchi develops any chemistry with Granlund.

Gaborik is past his prime, and he is basically a 2nd line carry at this point in his career, not a 1st liner. He has always been a solo player, having a hard time developing chemistry with anybody. There is a strong argument that he plays his best hockey with a so-so set-up man center and an energy guy who is willing to dig pucks out of corners for him.

Which is why the Nash pick-up was so fantastic for the Rangers. Nash-Richard-Kreider for a first line. Gaborik on the 2nd.

Last edited by piqued: 11-23-2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: flaming
nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:27 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
It was very idiotic of Nashville.
It's not like they were going to have a lottery pick. They were adding depth for a playoff push , Poile knew it was going to be a late 1st otherwise the deal wouldn't have been made.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:49 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Is everyone making the "Gaborik isn't injury prone" claims ignoring his terrible playoffs, the result of a shoulder injury with a five to six month recovery period?