HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who would you keep? Zbad, Silf or Stoner?

View Poll Results: Who would you keep?
Jakob Silfverberg 48 45.28%
Mika Zibanejad 32 30.19%
Mark Stone 26 24.53%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 500
It was Brennan that said your list.

Quote:
2011 first-round pick Mika Zibanejad, winger Nick Foligno and goalie Ben Bishop.
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../19896396.html

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
I remember Stone being mentioned by someone in Ottawa...

Trying to remember who.
Even if so I'm pretty sure adding Stone to that deal was a "hell no" from our side.

I wouldn't be surprised if internally the Sens think Stone has a shot to be the best of the 3. Like a realistic shot.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:51 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Thanks, Qward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Even if so I'm pretty sure adding Stone to that deal was a "hell no" from our side.

I wouldn't be surprised if internally the Sens think Stone has a shot to be the best of the 3. Like a realistic shot.
Yea. If I'm recalling it right the initial proposal was Zibanejad+1st+Foligno. They wanted Stone and Ottawa just would not add him. They altered it with Bishop instead of the first to fit their goaltending need and I'm pretty sure we were supposed to add another mid-teir prospect.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Canuckman44

Not even worth a vote. Keep them all.

Canuckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:06 AM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckman44 View Post
this person has it correct.

DylanSensFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckman44 View Post
I wouldn't lose sleep if we had to lose one of the Swedes!

Rocket Richard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Tuna99

Quote:

I think Stone is the best prospect out of the 3 - he may not be the fastest or the sexiest, but I just think there is an intangible part to his game that the other don't have - he is a take command big game player with sweet hands and a will to win that will mean he is on the ice in the final minutes of games to finish them out - to me Stone has that Joe Sakic quality to him, a quiet player but a player who over 82 games and playoffs gets better and better and despite what other stars are on your team he's always at the center of good things happening

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
I think Stone is the best prospect out of the 3 - he may not be the fastest or the sexiest, but I just think there is an intangible part to his game that the other don't have - he is a take command big game player with sweet hands and a will to win that will mean he is on the ice in the final minutes of games to finish them out - to me Stone has that Joe Sakic quality to him, a quiet player but a player who over 82 games and playoffs gets better and better and despite what other stars are on your team he's always at the center of good things happening
Not to rain on Stone's parade, but he isn't close to Silf or Zibby IMO.

Stone hasn't been shooting the puck nor has he used his size to his advantage.

Not saying he hasn't made some smart plays, he definitely has, but he just seems passive overall with his game.

I hope Stone develops as the year progresses, but he needs to improve greatly to be considered ahead of a number of current B-Sens.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Step
GO SENS GO

Keep them all But I'd pick Silfverberg if I had to choose only one.

Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Tuna99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post

Not saying he hasn't made some smart plays, he definitely has, but he just seems passive overall with his game.

I hope Stone develops as the year progresses, but he needs to improve greatly to be considered ahead of a number of current B-Sens.
He has to shoot more no question - maybe he is more of a playmaker then shooter, I think he wants to get his linemates and teammates points and goals so they make it to the NHL - he's that type of player, puts the team first and is that type of teammate, but for sure he has to shoot more.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

These guys have 3-5 years to develop into what their likely gonna be for the long haul. Were pretty aware of what Stone's capable of and given his production and play with the 3rd line, PKing and NO PP time...he's been quite impressive thus far.

Just wouldn't count out the one of the 3 that has the best hockey sense. Sometimes late round guys do pass 1st and 2nd rounders...but it usually doesn't happen by the time said players are 19-21.

Old
11-27-2012, 03:04 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
He has to shoot more no question - maybe he is more of a playmaker then shooter, I think he wants to get his linemates and teammates points and goals so they make it to the NHL - he's that type of player, puts the team first and is that type of teammate, but for sure he has to shoot more.
No one in Binghamton is trying to help others get to the show at expense of their own play. I think anyone that's watched Brandon would tell people that typically, Stone is a passer.

He's also gonna be BIG dude as he fills out.

Old
11-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post
Stoner. Not even close.
Zibanejad. Very close.

Emerica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 03:05 PM
craig27

Quote:

I know stats don't tell everything, but, however Stone is playing, his stats seem to indicate he is producing just as well as either Silf or Zibby. Perhaps the inflated +/- is because he is playing against weaker competition, but it is still impressive.

GP G A PTS +/- PTS/GM SHOTS
Jakob Silfverberg RW 16 3 6 9 0 0.56 51
Mika Zibanejad C 16 1 6 7 -3 0.44 39
Mark Stone RW 10 1 5 6 +6 0.60 10

So maybe is unfair to say he isn't even close.

craig27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 03:12 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig27 View Post
I know stats don't tell everything, but, however Stone is playing, his stats seem to indicate he is producing just as well as either Silf or Zibby. Perhaps the inflated +/- is because he is playing against weaker competition, but it is still impressive.

If he's playing lighter competition, you could say it's evened out by playing with lesser linemates and not playing much powerplay.

Old
11-27-2012, 03:12 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

Silfverberg
Stone
Zibanejad

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
These guys have 3-5 years to develop into what their likely gonna be for the long haul. Were pretty aware of what Stone's capable of and given his production and play with the 3rd line, PKing and NO PP time...he's been quite impressive thus far.

Just wouldn't count out the one of the 3 that has the best hockey sense. Sometimes late round guys do pass 1st and 2nd rounders...but it usually doesn't happen by the time said players are 19-21.
I wasn't discounting any of the three, just responding with my view on what the three have shown so far at the pro level.

Personally I like them all and I very much agree with you that what we are seeing isn't where each will peak.

IMO however, Zibby and Silf are both showing considerable more ice presence and Zibby is only 19 and adjusting to the NA game.

Silf is the oldest at 22 and his skill and maturity are really starting to show and I believe he will be in the top six in Ottawa when the NHL starts again.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 11-27-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old
11-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig27 View Post

IMO he isn't, not yet anyway. I wasn't implying he is a bust as a pro, just stating what I have seen so far.

Production isn't a concern I have for any of them, it takes time, specially for first year players and so many of them together.

I am basing my comments on what I believe made Stone successful in the WHL. There he showed hockey smarts, great shooter of the puck and was physical in gaining ice position.

So far this year he has shown the smarts, but looks to pass rather than shoot and hasn't shown the physical part of his game he uses to create time and space for himself.

When Mark starts to use both his physical and mental tools, I have no doubt he will be a very good pro.

But I was clear, my comments were based on "so far".

Old
11-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
If he's playing lighter competition, you could say it's evened out by playing with lesser linemates and not playing much powerplay.
Not sure your rationale really make a case for Stone, he has been playing with Grant who does have the most goals on the team.

However Richardson hasn't been line matching as far as I can tell, so Stone is out against top competition as well as the others.

I hope I haven't conveyed a message that I think Stone is playing poorly, he isn't. IMO he just isn't utilizing all his strengths yet, and when he does he will provide a significant boost to the offense of the B-Sens.

Old
11-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Not sure your rationale really make a case for Stone, he has been playing with Grant who does have the most goals on the team.

However Richardson hasn't been line matching as far as I can tell, so Stone is out against top competition as well as the others.

I hope I haven't conveyed a message that I think Stone is playing poorly, he isn't. IMO he just isn't utilizing all his strengths yet, and when he does he will provide a significant boost to the offense of the B-Sens.
Maybe if Stone was playing with Silfverberg or Zibanejad they would have the most goals

What I actually think is, either one of these guys could come out on top. And it's way to early to tell with definitive statements as things can change so much in the coming years. I think in cases like this, you almost have to go with the most proven and I think that's Silfverberg. But I could see how others could feel strongly about the other two as they grow up.

Old
11-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
No one in Binghamton is trying to help others get to the show at expense of their own play. I think anyone that's watched Brandon would tell people that typically, Stone is a passer.

He's also gonna be BIG dude as he fills out.
Stone is definitely a very unselfish player, but players don't score 78 goals over two season by not shooting when the opportunity is there.

My observation this year, Mark isn't shooting when he is the guy in the best position, he passes. He is averaging just one SOG/Game.

I also agree he is going to be a big man when he physically matures, however he is 6'3" and 203 lbs now and isn't playing to his size.

Old
11-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Maybe if Stone was playing with Silfverberg or Zibanejad they would have the most goals

What I actually think is, either one of these guys could come out on top. And it's way to early to tell with definitive statements as things can change so much in the coming years. I think in cases like this, you almost have to go with the most proven and I think that's Silfverberg. But I could see how others could feel strongly about the other two as they grow up.
Nope, those two couldn't put the puck in the ocean if they were standing on the dock. Only joking!!

100% agree.

Old
11-27-2012, 05:08 PM
General Granny*

Hard question. I have an easier question. Who would have kept when all of them were at the age of 19 years old. People tend to forget that Zibby isnt as old as the other two and hasn't had any time to develop, Silverberg didn't really break out until last season, same with Stone.

Silver is the better player right now but he wasn't as good as the other two when he was their age. So I take Zibby and Stone based on potential but Silver is the safer pick.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 05:24 PM
18Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
Hard question. I have an easier question. Who would have kept when all of them were at the age of 19 years old. People tend to forget that Zibby isnt as old as the other two and hasn't had any time to develop, Silverberg didn't really break out until last season, same with Stone.

Silver is the better player right now but he wasn't as good as the other two when he was their age. So I take Zibby and Stone based on potential but Silver is the safer pick.
When they were 19 everyone would have picked Zibby.

18Hossa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post

Jordan Staal > Claude Giroux at 19.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote