HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXV: The word is... give me a minute.... "Omnishambles"... "Omnishambles"

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-27-2012, 11:25 PM
  #926
madhi19
Registered User
 
madhi19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cold and Dark place!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
Alvarez quoted that "It's not government's job to keep kids off the street" thing, I don't think that should be part of the question, the question should be whether the hockey team actually keeps the kids off the street moreso than alternative options.

Of course, I'm just an ideologue.
How in the hell is a pro hockey team going to keep the kids off the street? After school activities and community center will do that.

madhi19 is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:27 PM
  #927
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW
 
Concordski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,821
vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
How in the hell is a pro hockey team going to keep the kids off the street? After school activities and community center will do that.
I agree, but Alvarez doesn't seem to grasp that the government does need to keep kids off the street.

Concordski is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:27 PM
  #928
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
I haven't watched the whole meeting but is this still true? Is Glendale really going to commit $300 million without knowing who they're committing it to?
Yes, he was asked straight up tonight by Scruggs if he would his name his investors.

He sternly replied "No, I will not" and that was it.

jfb392 is online now  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:27 PM
  #929
cutchemist42
Registered User
 
cutchemist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,727
vCash: 500
Why do cities fall for the "save the hot dog jobs" reasoning every time....

cutchemist42 is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:27 PM
  #930
JordanStaal#1Fan
Registered User
 
JordanStaal#1Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Asbestos, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,611
vCash: 50
How can a lame duck council vote for such a deal especially when the "future" administration has been elected by saying they wouldn't approve the deal.

I know it is legitimate for them to vote on such a matter, but morally speaking, it seems wrong to me. Hopefully the team is saved for good and it doesn't end up bankrupting the city. As much as I want to see the Nordiques come back, I don't want hockey fans to suffer the way I did in 1995 and I certainly don't want a city go bankrupt over a hockey team.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:29 PM
  #931
htpwn
Registered User
 
htpwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Poland
Posts: 12,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Yes, he was asked straight up tonight by Scruggs if he would his name his investors.

He sternly replied "No, I will not" and that was it.
Sad.

Scruggs seems to be the only one who gets it.

No emergency clause, meaning it can be challenged in a referendum.

htpwn is online now  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:29 PM
  #932
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman
 
Acesolid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Why do cities fall for the "save the hot dog jobs" reasoning every time....
Well it kinda makes sense in most situations. Since jobs are jobs.

But in this case this city's finances are soooooo bad, they are litterally trading cops and firemen and libraries for hot dog stands jobs!

Acesolid is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:30 PM
  #933
cutchemist42
Registered User
 
cutchemist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,727
vCash: 500
And now everyone can get back to their cars and drive home to Phoenix and Scottsdale and other cities after encouraging a city down this path....

cutchemist42 is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:30 PM
  #934
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW
 
Concordski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,821
vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
Well it kinda makes sense in most situations. Since jobs are jobs.

But in this case this city's finances are soooooo bad, they are litterally trading cops and firemen and libraries for hot dog stands jobs!
x1000 times this.

Concordski is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:30 PM
  #935
LPHabsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,368
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
Did the mayor just go on record suggesting the fact that this is a subsidy rather than an arena agreement?

LPHabsFan is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:31 PM
  #936
Zednik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 1,044
vCash: 500
I still think Bettman will pull the plug.

Zednik is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:31 PM
  #937
silvercanuck
Registered User
 
silvercanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,051
vCash: 500
cant believe they are going to continue to drag this out. Hockey will never work in the desert. It has never worked in the desert.

silvercanuck is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:31 PM
  #938
1UP
Registered User
 
1UP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
Well it kinda makes sense in most situations. Since jobs are jobs.

But in this case this city's finances are soooooo bad, they are litterally trading cops and firemen and libraries for hot dog stands jobs!
And 23 hockey players, a coach, a GM...

1UP is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:32 PM
  #939
McRib
2nd Rate Fan
 
McRib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,420
vCash: 500
Honestly, it doesn't surprise me. This vote wasn't the "big question." To me there are two questions left; does the JIG have the money (and who are his investors?) and when does Goldwater speak up?

It isn't my place to criticize a city that I don't pay taxes to on what they should do with their money. However, I do think that it is wrong to cut fire budgets, police budgets, and whatever else to keep a professional sports franchise in your city. But again, if Glendale wishes to do that, best of luck.

To those wanting stable ownership in Glendale: Greg Jamison will not offer you stable ownership.

McRib is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:33 PM
  #940
cutchemist42
Registered User
 
cutchemist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,727
vCash: 500
I think the mayor insinuated what the tax increase was exactly for, bring on the referendum. Where actual citizens will vote.....

cutchemist42 is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:33 PM
  #941
GF
Registered User
 
GF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPHabsFan View Post
Did the mayor just go on record suggesting the fact that this is a subsidy rather than an arena agreement?
Yes she did.

Next hurdles:
-referendum
-new council
-GJ needs to find his money
-GWI

They're probably saved until summer. Maybe longer, it's Glendale after all.

GF is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:33 PM
  #942
go_leafs_go02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,719
vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
Yes she did.

Next hurdles:
-referendum
-new council
-GJ needs to find his money
-GWI

They're probably saved until summer. Maybe longer, it's Glendale after all.
nah.

two weeks.

go_leafs_go02 is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:33 PM
  #943
objectiveposter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 309
vCash: 500
why are they still talking coyotes if it already past?

objectiveposter is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:34 PM
  #944
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW
 
Concordski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,821
vCash: 663
Did that guy just imply that the Yotes were more valuable than the Library and Public Pool?

Concordski is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:34 PM
  #945
LPHabsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,368
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
I think the mayor insinuated what the tax increase was exactly for, bring on the referendum. Where actual citizens will vote.....
I think the mayor also just laid the groundwork for a GWI lawsuit on the subsidy thing as well......

LPHabsFan is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:34 PM
  #946
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,937
vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
And now everyone can get back to their cars and drive home to Phoenix and Scottsdale and other cities after encouraging a city down this path....
This is what pisses me off the most. They would rather listen to a bunch of outsiders rather than their own residents.

Puckschmuck* is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:34 PM
  #947
halligan10
Registered User
 
halligan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Palm Harbor
Country: United States
Posts: 386
vCash: 500
I think your right. Too much smoke over the desert right now.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednik View Post
I still think Bettman will pull the plug.

halligan10 is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:34 PM
  #948
silvercanuck
Registered User
 
silvercanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,051
vCash: 500
haha let's praise council for dooming this city.

silvercanuck is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:35 PM
  #949
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pacific NW
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
I haven't watched the whole meeting but is this still true? Is Glendale really going to commit $300 million without knowing who they're committing it to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Yes, he was asked straight up tonight by Scruggs if he would his name his investors. He sternly replied "No, I will not" and that was it.
And there you have you your answer htpwn (thx jfb392).
Doesnt get any riskier. $300M+ leap into the unknown.

Killion is online now  
Old
11-27-2012, 11:35 PM
  #950
htpwn
Registered User
 
htpwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Poland
Posts: 12,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Honestly, it doesn't surprise me. This vote wasn't the "big question." To me there are two questions left; does the JIG have the money (and who are his investors?) and when does Goldwater speak up?

It isn't my place to criticize a city that I don't pay taxes to on what they should do with their money. However, I do think that it is wrong to cut fire budgets, police budgets, and whatever else to keep a professional sports franchise in your city. But again, if Glendale wishes to do that, best of luck.

To those wanting stable ownership in Glendale: Greg Jamison will not offer you stable ownership.
Not when... if.

Does Goldwater do anything or were they all hot air?

htpwn is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.