HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix LXV: The word is... give me a minute.... "Omnishambles"... "Omnishambles"

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2012, 11:51 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
I think kdb has dibs with his Route 66 filk...
Locked and ready:

11-27-2012 Phoenix LXVI: Get Your Kicks On Thread LXVI

But, damn - 30 pages in a day. Seems like old times. Just a placeholder for the intro for now.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:52 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee78 View Post
I actually think that this is incorrect. I think they have 30 days to submit their petition for a referendum. You then need a number of days to setup the referendum vote and to execute on that.

I would anticipate that this would drag the date well beyond the Jan 31st deadline. Depending on how long it would take to get the signatures, they could even submit the referendum petition prior to the deal being signed by Skeete. Either way I think this comes back to a vote by the new council. I just don't see, given all of the hurdles that we know exist out there, that this gets wrapped up be Jan 31st or the 15th for that matter when the new council comes in an overturns this vote.
I'm pretty sure we learned last time during deadline disputes that theyve got thirty days from tomorrow to have their signatures in. Pretty sure we learned that the number of signatures needed will no longer be based on the Scruggs race but the Weiers race. This means they'll need to collect two or three times what they managed to collect last time.

I could most definitely be mistaken. I usually am.

11-27-2012, 11:54 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
So now can a sale be done in the lockout environment?
Yup. The sale of the Ducks to Samuelli was announced and later closed, all during the Lockout in 2005.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:54 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by preissingg View Post
Sounds like this guy here's got it all figured out.
Too lazy, drunk, and tired to put in the IIRCs all over the place. Please forgive me.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:55 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
The thing is, in a referendum, all those Coyotes fans from Phoenix, Scottsdale, etc - guess what? they have no vote, and no say in a matter that involves Glendale Taxpayers.
It won't get to the ballot. They failed absolutely miserably last time to gather a significantly smaller amount of required signatures.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Evil Doctor
Damn you Taylor Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Locked and ready:

11-27-2012 Phoenix LXVI: Get Your Kicks On Thread LXVI

But, damn - 30 pages in a day. Seems like old times. Just a placeholder for the intro for now.
Yes!

(Of course I'm going to use the Depeche Mode version in my head with Dave Gahan on vocals. Beatmasters mix, natch')

Old
PeeBee78

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I'm pretty sure we learned last time during deadline disputes that theyve got thirty days from tomorrow to have their signatures in. Pretty sure we learned that the number of signatures needed will no longer be based on the Scruggs race but the Weiers race. This means they'll need to collect two or three times what they managed to collect last time.

I could most definitely be mistaken. I usually am.
No I think you are right. However, I think he's going to have a lot more support collecting those signatures.

I think they can get this to a referendum, and if they do, they start all over because the 60 days will easily expire.

Old
silvercanuck

Can the new council pass a motion to reverse this vote?

This is gonna be like Obama taking over the oval office after Bush ran the economy into the ground. If you were on the new council why would you even want to walk into a mess like that? I feel for the new council.

This will be bad. Very very bad.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:57 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
Yes!

(Of course I'm going to use the Depeche Mode version in my head with Dave Gahan on vocals. Beatmasters mix, natch')
I just can't seem to get enough of this saga.

I wonder what that banging noise at the council meeting was.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:57 PM
xtra

So if Skeete knows that the new council doesn't want this thing signed and knows the people don't want it, why the heck would he sign the deal for the city? wouldn't you just wait and see what the next council wants offically since they come in jan anyways?

Old
11-27-2012, 11:58 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
It won't get to the ballot. They failed absolutely miserably last time to gather a significantly smaller amount of required signatures.
This issue has made far more noise and attracted more attention than the last time. It appears like more Glendale residents are more aware of the seriousness of this situation. This time around, I think it could stand to become a real threat to Jigmeister's deal.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:59 PM
SugarKane88
Non-Registered User

This guy's favorite song is:

Old
11-27-2012, 11:59 PM
PeeBee78

Quote:
That was before they had to shut down essential services, fire cops and firemen, and raise taxes to support this.....

They are already working to recall Knaack.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:04 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
This issue has made far more noise and attracted more attention than the last time. It appears like more Glendale residents are more aware of the seriousness of this situation. This time around, I think it could stand to become a real threat to Jigmeister's deal.
They'll need significantly more than double what they collected last time. Jones is one hundred and nine years old, sleeps seventeen hours a day, and collects signatures by sitting out front of a library. A library in Glendale Arizona. This is not what I would hang my hopes on as an opponent of this agreement.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:04 AM
aqib

for the next thread title I liked the one someone suggested about: Please don't poop on me.

As for the petition drive, I think if they get the folks behind the sales tax repeal to join them they can get it done

Old
11-28-2012, 12:05 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
They'll need significantly more than double what they collected last time. Jones is one hundred and nine years old, sleeps seventeen hours a day, and collects signatures by sitting out front of a library. A library in Glendale Arizona. This is not what I would hang my hopes on as an opponent of this agreement.
Who said I'm hanging all my hopes up on this? There are plenty of other more legitimate and realistic hurdles to scuttle the deal

Old
11-28-2012, 12:12 AM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Why do they need twice the amount of signatures now? Does it go up over time or because of the vote?

Old
11-28-2012, 12:14 AM
yotesreign

Quote:
And aren't they cutting those library hours down by half this week?

Too bad they can't use out of state signatures, they'd have 34 million already...

there outta be a law!

Old
11-28-2012, 12:15 AM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Some interesting things still being discussed by the council, though they don't involve hockey.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:16 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
Why do they need twice the amount of signatures now? Does it go up over time or because of the vote?
It's 5% of however many votes were cast in the previous mayoral race. Scrugg's ran unopposed last time and nobody bothered to vote. There was a more legitimate mayoral race this time, and as a result more people voted. Twice(ish) as many people.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:17 AM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
Some interesting things still being discussed by the council, though they don't involve hockey.
IKR? Racial profiling, stopping rental cars with people in them wearing Leafs or Oilers jerseys.

It's just wrong!

Old
11-28-2012, 12:17 AM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

The "Freeloader" guy needs to learn how to behave, according to an old lady.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:19 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Who said I'm hanging all my hopes up on this? There are plenty of other more legitimate and realistic hurdles to scuttle the deal
Certainly not me. Where do you see that accusation in my post?

And I agree. There are several worries that are legitimate hurdles. Will Don Fehr nuke the entire league? Does Jamison actually have the dough? What legal challenges might be presented and by who?

Old
11-28-2012, 12:19 AM
objectiveposter

vCash: 50
Quote:
why do they need more signatures this time?
also Jones probably has the name and phone number of those that signed the petition last time... also last time he started late

Old
11-28-2012, 12:20 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 5113
Good news for Yotes fans.... if they're not also Glendale taxpayers.

That town's going under in a few years.

Closed Thread