HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix LXV: The word is... give me a minute.... "Omnishambles"... "Omnishambles"

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2012, 06:01 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
I know you're just messenger A "bank in Chicago" is a bit odd-Banks are multinational chains, it makes it sound like a indy bank in CHI wants to own a NHL franchise-doesn't care which?

Aren't banks the ones who are being (some would say) almost ridiculously tight for not losing money, yet they are going to buy a team in the short term at very least is going to be a money loser?

Something doesn't compute here..
Agreed. For the past 3 years there hasn't been a bank on this planet willing to give / loan any of the potential buyers the money to buy this team, and now we are suppose to believe an actual bank is going to buy the team? Not buying it.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:47 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
I know you're just messenger A "bank in Chicago" is a bit odd-Banks are multinational chains, it makes it sound like a indy bank in CHI wants to own a NHL franchise-doesn't care which?

Aren't banks the ones who are being (some would say) almost ridiculously tight for not losing money, yet they are going to buy a team in the short term at very least is going to be a money loser?

Something doesn't compute here..

And wanting to own a team right now, with all the CBA stuff going on-not to mention the legal hurdles it's going to probably go through after Tuesday's vote....

They're throwing good money after bad, just because they want "a" NHL team seemingly for the hell of it......

Anyone else find the timing of this McGuire "scoop" just a little bit convenient-just days before the vote?
Maybe I should be more specific about what McGuire said. Asked if Jamison had the money to buy the Coyotes, he referenced a conversation he had with Jamison's financiers (and I think he said the conversation was "yesterday" from the date of the podcast), whom he described as "a couple of guys from a bank in Chicago" or thereabouts. It's me that said "a bank in Chicago" because I was in a hurry.

His further insinuation was that they, not Jamison, were the people who were bullish on owning a hockey team.

I really don't know a great deal about Jamison and what's going on with Phoenix, just came across this interview and figured I'd post it.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:52 PM
wpgallday1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
.... Larry Hagman died yesterday of cancer at 81.
God damn IMDB. RIP Larry Hagman.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Maybe I should be more specific about what McGuire said. Asked if Jamison had the money to buy the Coyotes, he referenced a conversation he had with Jamison's financiers (and I think he said the conversation was "yesterday" from the date of the podcast), whom he described as "a couple of guys from a bank in Chicago" or thereabouts. It's me that said "a bank in Chicago" because I was in a hurry.

His further insinuation was that they, not Jamison, were the people who were bullish on owning a hockey team.

I really don't know a great deal about Jamison and what's going on with Phoenix, just came across this interview and figured I'd post it.
So, I wonder if Jamison will show up at the Glendale council meeting. If so, I wonder if he will now be willing to disclose the third party to the lease agreement. Maybe he'll just say "a couple of guys with a Chicago bank". That should be enough for Clark et al.

Remember, the city council is being asked to approve an agreement between the City of Glendale, the "Arena Manager" (Jamison) and the "Team Owner". They might vote in favor of a $320 million agreement without even knowing the identity one of the parties to the agreement.

Old
11-24-2012, 07:12 PM
aqib

People use the term "bank" and "banker" to just about any company that handles money or person the handles or invests money for a living. Just like everyone calls analysts "accountants." There was this episode of Friends in which Joey says to Chandler "and you call yourself an accountant" chandler responds "No I don't" and it turned out no one knew what he did for a living.

That being said there have been 1,004 mystery buyers. If Knack flips and votes no then this thing can close the book on Glendale on Tuesday, otherwise we go to OT

Old
11-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgallday1960 View Post
God damn IMDB. RIP Larry Hagman.
.... IMDB is about as reliable as Mike Sunnucks.

Old
11-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
People use the term "bank" and "banker" to just about any company that handles money or person the handles or invests money for a living. Just like everyone calls analysts "accountants." There was this episode of Friends in which Joey says to Chandler "and you call yourself an accountant" chandler responds "No I don't" and it turned out no one knew what he did for a living.

That being said there have been 1,004 mystery buyers. If Knack flips and votes no then this thing can close the book on Glendale on Tuesday, otherwise we go to OT
I sort of wonder what the NHL might do if city council votes this down. I wouldn't be shocked if the NHL came up with another deal that was more palatable. At least, they would if they are as committed to the market as they say they are, and they ought to be.

Old
11-24-2012, 08:42 PM
TheLegend
43rd TankBuster Wing

"Banking the Chicago way!!"

Man you guys have short memories.....

Hulsizer was brought up as an investor within Jamison's group about 3-4 months ago.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:36 PM
dronald

For anyone who remembers me it's been a while. Anyways, has anything happened yet?

Old
11-24-2012, 09:39 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post

Hulsizer was brought up as an investor within Jamison's group about 3-4 months ago.
ha. We have had 25 new threads in that time. Plus there have been many people brought up as potential investors.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronald View Post
For anyone who remembers me it's been a while. Anyways, has anything happened yet?
... yes, of course I remember you dronald, and your wonderful old avy which I see youve changed. Welcome Back.

... and no, nothing substantive to report, were all still here, waiting, the plane in a holding pattern, still circling Sky Harbour, waiting to either land or the return of the Phoenix Lights I know not. Whichever comes first I suppose.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:45 PM
dronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... yes, of course I remember you dronald, and your wonderful old avy which I see youve changed. Welcome Back.

... and no, nothing substantive to report, were all still here, waiting, the plane in a holding pattern, still circling Sky Harbour, waiting to either land or the return of the Phoenix Lights I know not.
Hm, okay. Seems like the last year of posting has been a waste then, haha.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
... youve' got some catchup ahead of you. No such thing
as a Readers Digest Version available Im afraid.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
It not like bankers never made crappy deal before. Maybe it Goldman Sachs they know a crappy deal when they see one!
GS is not a Chicago bank.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
So, I wonder if Jamison will show up at the Glendale council meeting. If so, I wonder if he will now be willing to disclose the third party to the lease agreement. Maybe he'll just say "a couple of guys with a Chicago bank". That should be enough for Clark et al.

Remember, the city council is being asked to approve an agreement between the City of Glendale, the "Arena Manager" (Jamison) and the "Team Owner". They might vote in favor of a $320 million agreement without even knowing the identity one of the parties to the agreement.
Does the agreement say the team owner has to be the arena manager? If not, could they execute this between COG, GJ, and the NHL and GJ funnels the money to the NHL? Then once the NHL and GJ closes the team owner is GJ?

Quote:
Past 3 years........

Old
11-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Does the agreement say the team owner has to be the arena manager? If not, could they execute this between COG, GJ, and the NHL and GJ funnels the money to the NHL? Then once the NHL and GJ closes the team owner is GJ?
The agreement is between three parties: 1) COG, 2) Arena Manager, 3) Team Owner. So the arena manager doesn't have to be the team owner.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:07 PM
htpwn

Quote:

... as was investors from the Middle East. I don't put any faith into what Sunnucks writes.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:22 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
GS is not a Chicago bank.....
No but it was clarified it was a banker in Chicago and no one was identified, not the individual nor the bank they work for.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Evil Doctor
Damn you Taylor Reed

Chicago Bankers? Sounds like an euphemism...

"Westgate is nice little shopping spot, would be a shame if something happened to it."

"Now just give me the money and the team, and nobody gets hurt..."

Old
11-24-2012, 11:24 PM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
Chicago Bankers? Sounds like an euphemism...

"Westgate is nice little shopping spot, would be a shame if something happened to it."

"Now just give me the money and the team, and nobody gets hurt..."
loll Pretty soon the new investor behind Jamison.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:06 AM
TheLegend
43rd TankBuster Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
ha. We have had 25 new threads in that time. Plus there have been many people brought up as potential investors.
"Many"??? Well if you included all the imaginary ones....

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
... as was investors from the Middle East. I don't put any faith into what Sunnucks writes.
Neither do I. But didn't you hear? Sunnucks seemed to get a lot of his info from this board.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:54 AM
Ernie

No chance that Pierre McGuire actually has a scoop on this. He's the last guy who would be in the know.

That being said, a bank actually controlling a team would be a different scenario than one lending money to an owner. Still unlikely however.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post

Yea, like I said, knew you were just the messenger, wasn't meaning to "shoot" you Thanks for clarifying though. And the vagueness of what you did find out is pretty par for the course with this whole 3 year saga, so no worries

Someone mentioned Hulz-wouldn't that just be a gobsmacker if we found out he's one of the mystery investors? Heck, between Hulz, IEH, maybe JR is back in the picture, and they are the mystery investors, all together!

Can you imagine the reaction on these boards if that were the case?

Old
11-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Whileee

Quote:

Well, this might explain Jamison's reluctance to identify the "Team Owner". The re-entry of Hulsizer into the Glendale / Coyotes mix would be an interesting spectacle.

Old
11-25-2012, 12:26 PM
halligan10

IMO There is no investors...how can GJ or the NHL keep them secret for so long without leaking it..No chance

Old
11-25-2012, 12:26 PM
aqib

Quote:
"Many"??? Well if you included all the imaginary ones....

Neither do I. But didn't you hear? Sunnucks seemed to get a lot of his info from this board.
They ALL turned out to be imaginary. Reinsdorf, ICE Edge, Hulsizer, now Jamison and his band of merry men.

Closed Thread