HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

The inevitable Republican civil war: Who survives and what becomes of the Republicans

Old
11-22-2012, 11:35 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Too bad there is no such thing as a 'private life'.

If you feel there is, by all means, go ahead and define it.

Interesting. What's your argument?
Define 'Too' , define 'bad' , define 'there' , define 'is' , define 'no' , define 'such' , define 'thing' , define 'as' , define 'a' , define 'private' , define 'life'.

Define 'If' , define 'you' , define 'feel' , define 'there' and 'is' again just to be sure , then define 'by' , define 'all' , define 'means' , define 'go' , define 'ahead' , define 'and' , define 'define' and to conclude please define 'it'.

Then if you have time , define any combination of those words as a concept.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:10 PM
ddawg1950

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Doug Stanhope.
For some reason I just saw this and had to google him, specifically his wikiquotes.

Why haven't I heard of this guy?

He's like me...well, with wit and talent, I mean.

Thanks for the steer.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:39 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I won't presume to speak for him, but since I share the same opinion, I'll comment:

"Pro-abortion" makes it sound like the person in question wants others having abortions. Personally, as someone who'd be considered "pro-choice" (although I think the topic is sufficiently complex so as to not merit such simplistic pigeonholing of viewpoints), I would love it if there wasn't a single abortion performed, ever. But that's not realistic, and so I strongly advocate it being a legal procedure which is available in a safe, sterile, monitored environment. As part of being someone who is pro-choice but does not want to see abortions performed, I think a comprehensive approach to birth control and sex education is necessary, to inform people as to what options are available and the best ways to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

A big problem is that there is a sizable chunk of the "pro-life" crowd who are really "anti-sex unless it's for the purposes of procreation".
This!

Pro-Life Crowd is actually; the Pro-Fetus Crowd. Many of them don't give a damn what happens to that fetus when it becomes a baby and many of them aren't against gun control and the death penalty. They aren't Pro-Life. They are Pro-Fetus. Pro-Proto-Human.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Too bad there is no such thing as a 'private life'.

If you feel there is, by all means, go ahead and define it.
As it relates to pregnancy and abortion I go with the Hon. Gordon O'Connor (Minister of State and Chief Government Whip, Conservative Party of Canada said this during the debate on the Woodworth motion to amend the Criminal Code and change the defintion of when a person becomes a human being... and he was speaking for the Harper government.
The Supreme Court has also declared that the right to liberty guarantees a degree of personal autonomy over important decisions intimately affecting private life. The decision of whether or not to terminate a pregnancy is essentially a moral decision, and in a free and democratic society, the conscience of the individual must be paramount and take precedence over that of the state.
Within the free and democratic society of Canada, if one has a world view based on a personal moral code that is somewhat different from others, then live according to those views as long as they are within the current laws. On the other hand, citizens who are also living within the reasonable limits of our culture and who may not agree with another's particular moral principles should not be compelled to follow them by the force of a new law.
http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublicati...=5524696#T1800

It is difficult to envision a situation that encompasses "private life", personal autonomy and the right to liberty more than a woman's bodily integrity.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:04 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
I read an article about Jeb Bush fairly recently, and it said that one thing people are not considering about Bush is that his wife is quite a private person and isn't all that enthusiastic about being in the public eye, let alone doing stump speeches like wives of presidential candidates usually do. Now it's possible that the Bushes could get around that by having various members of the extended Bush family speak instead, but a lot of people think that she is happy is south Florida with a tight group of Spanish-speaking friends, and would be very reluctant to support a presidential bid by her husband.
if true its amazing the effects wives may have had on recent presidential history, since the stated reason for Daniels not running was his reluctance to expose his wifes private life to scrutiny.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
if true its amazing the effects wives may have had on recent presidential history, since the stated reason for Daniels not running was his reluctance to expose his wifes private life to scrutiny.
I don't recall this being as big a deal prior to Hillary Clinton. It seems like she set the modern template for the candidate's wife to be engaged and for the other party and their supporters to attack her over it.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:27 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 800
To me it would be a better life situation for a United States President to be single instead of being married with children.It's a bit like a hockey coach , your mind can be 100% focused on the job and when you get out you can truly relax.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I don't recall this being as big a deal prior to Hillary Clinton. It seems like she set the modern template for the candidate's wife to be engaged and for the other party and their supporters to attack her over it.
I hate this aspect of modern politics. Not only do I not care whether the wives give speeches... I don't want to see them at all. Nor their kids. It sickens me to see politicians' families being used as stage props.

That being said, the president is the most powerful person in the world. It's not realistic that he'd be able to keep his family out of the spotlight.

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:40 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
For some reason I just saw this and had to google him, specifically his wikiquotes.

Why haven't I heard of this guy?

He's like me...well, with wit and talent, I mean.

Thanks for the steer.
Stanhope is amazing. Glad you enjoy!!!

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 08:48 PM
jarmoismyhero

Not sure if it has been talked about but Saxby Chambliss is the latest to come out against the ******** pledge of the almighty Grover Norquist...The new house also has 16 new republicans who have not signed the pledge...The senate has one new memeber who did not sign it...You also have Graham in senate who is not going along with it...Hope more follow so this guy can go away and hopefully the republicans can start getting back to business.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:54 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmoismyhero View Post
Not sure if it has been talked about but Saxby Chambliss is the latest to come out against the ******** pledge of the almighty Grover Norquist...The new house also has 16 new republicans who have not signed the pledge...The senate has one new memeber who did not sign it...You also have Graham in senate who is not going along with it...Hope more follow so this guy can go away and hopefully the republicans can start getting back to business.
Surprised to see Chambliss speak out on it. Good on him. Hopefully that leads some more to come out and disavow Grover.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Here's what Norquist said in response: "If he wants to change his mind and become a tax increaser so we don't have to reform government, he needs to have that conversation with the people of Georgia."

What a complete piece of garbage. None of the Republicans who are spurning his moronic pledge are doing so because they want to keep government spending constant or growing; they're just refusing to rule out any increase in taxation or closure of loopholes. Norquist should be thrown into a gulag and forced to do hard labor in North Dakota.

Ilkka Sinisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:14 AM
jarmoismyhero

Quote:
Here's what Norquist said in response: "If he wants to change his mind and become a tax increaser so we don't have to reform government, he needs to have that conversation with the people of Georgia."

What a complete piece of garbage. None of the Republicans who are spurning his moronic pledge are doing so because they want to keep government spending constant or growing; they're just refusing to rule out any increase in taxation or closure of loopholes. Norquist should be thrown into a gulag and forced to do hard labor in North Dakota.
Maybe I am just being to naive but I feel as if now is the time good ole Grover gets told to f off by more and more conservatives. They see how big of a dbag this guy is and his sway over voters is not what it used to be.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:50 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmoismyhero View Post
Maybe I am just being to naive but I feel as if now is the time good ole Grover gets told to f off by more and more conservatives. They see how big of a dbag this guy is and his sway over voters is not what it used to be.
Various sources have said that anyone who reneges on the pledge will be primaried.

Should be an interesting battle.

Old
11-24-2012, 01:30 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I also have hope that some Republicans will be more reasonable on gun control.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 06:49 AM
Masao

The republicans control most of the governorship of the states as well as the US House. So, they lost two presidential elections in a row, and two years ago they crushed the democrats in the mid-terms.

I think they might be thinking a bit short term if they want to just re-change their whole image just because of a presidential loss when over 50 million people voted for their guy.

Masao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:10 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao View Post
The republicans control most of the governorship of the states as well as the US House. So, they lost two presidential elections in a row, and two years ago they crushed the democrats in the mid-terms.

I think they might be thinking a bit short term if they want to just re-change their whole image just because of a presidential loss when over 50 million people voted for their guy.
The sad fact is, no Republican presidential candidate ever got more than 300 Electoral College vote since 1988 (the closest you ever got was 286 with Bush in 2004), where as every single Democratic President-elect broke through that number. Since.

The demographic simply ain't in favor of the Republicans, and it's not going to improve. If the Republicans don't do something about their self-image and what they stand for, they set themselves for a future where the only way to win is through hair-thin margin.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:17 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
The sad fact is, no Republican presidential candidate ever got more than 300 Electoral College vote since 1988 (the closest you ever got was 286 with Bush in 2004), where as every single Democratic President-elect broke through that number. Since.

The demographic simply ain't in favor of the Republicans, and it's not going to improve. If the Republicans don't do something about their self-image and what they stand for, they set themselves for a future where the only way to win is through hair-thin margin.
Yep. Not only that, but since the electoral college decides the election, which states did the GOP not win this year that they might win in 2016 without seriously changing their ways? Virginia, Florida, Ohio... maybe. Not much of a strategy to hope to God* you win a few more of the close states, while assuming Arizona and North Carolina won't become more Democratic. It's not as if any of this year's blue states are going to become more white and rural.

* Which I have no trouble believing is their strategy!

Old
11-24-2012, 09:42 AM
ddawg1950

^^

And as Jeb Bush recently pointed out, Texas is in line to become a blue state in the next few years.

If the demographics do change to that extent, the GOP will have to go into a witness protection program.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
^^

And as Jeb Bush recently pointed out, Texas is in line to become a blue state in the next few years.

If the demographics do change to that extent, the GOP will have to go into a witness protection program.
It's not going to happen. The GOP aren't idiots; there is a lot of money flowing into that party. They'll wise up and find a platform where they can win.

Ilkka Sinisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:54 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
It's not going to happen. The GOP aren't idiots; there is a lot of money flowing into that party. They'll wise up and find a platform where they can win.
Oh, I sure hope so. It would be a good thing if they modernise and abandon some of the most idiosycratic ideologies they currently hold.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

People will scoff due to his name, but George P. Bush is an exciting young prospect for the GOP in both Texas and eventually nationally.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Probably at least 40 percent of the GOP base are idiots. I cannot possibly imagine them reconciling all their problems with their base within the next four years. Eight years, maybe. And even then, how quickly are people going to buy into the new GOP? They've been pursuing the Southern Strategy since 1968 - I doubt they can turn on a dime and expect the electorate to turn on a dime at the same time.

Edit: Keep in mind that Limbaugh et al so far have shown no willingness at all to change their positions or even their rhetoric. Krauthammer things Romney's problem was that he's a Northeastern liberal. A big chunk of the GOP base gets their marching orders from these guys.