HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ilya Kovalchuk to play in Russia - KHL Lockout Thread Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 11:21 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Even attempting to put together forward lines without Kovy is pretty frightening.

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson
Tedenby-Josefson-Butler
CBGB
Janssen-Sestito-Barch/Harrold
Without Kovy, Whitney and Pesonen and possibly Anderson would get a chance.

But seriously guy, just relax and come back Monday when this is resolved.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Devils86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
Things have changed since. He's in now.
Bigger shock is how does Deron Quint make any all star team

Old
01-09-2013, 11:22 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

He's on the All Star game roster.

Also, if he stays the rest of the season, Devils can void his contract. Will they? Who knows. He could be convinced to come back next year. Kovalchuk might be feeling bad leaving his team in mid-season when they are battling for 1st place. It is kind of a dick move to do although contracts are contracts.

I think if he misses one regular season NHL game because he's in Russia Devils should void the deal and move on. But they may not. They may desire to have him next year and just get through these 4 months as best as they can

Old
01-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils86 View Post
Since when has common sense ever mattered? Common sense also says hes a Russian. feels more comfortable home will make more money and will stay. Ever been to St Petersburg? Neither have I but my SIL has and she said its one of the most beautiful places shes ever been. Not sure there is a huge Russian community in Alpine
There would be only one thing that makes Kovalchuk to stay in Russia. His wife and kids asking for it.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
That was hours ago, he was proven wrong.
It's more that the KHL website updated its list. Chesnokov is a fair guy, he's more reliable than Slava. The KHL wants to take big advantage of this drama.

They would troll the **** out of their mothers if needed. Wait and see.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:33 AM
None Shall Pass
Got Carter

Solution: call up Bergforz

Old
01-09-2013, 11:38 AM
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist

OMGZ Call up Zharkov!

Old
01-09-2013, 11:38 AM
I Hate Tie DOMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by None Shall Pass View Post
Solution: call up Bergforz
Maybe we can sign Zharkov to a contract to come back this year even though he is signed to a KHL deal.

That will teach them right?!?!

Old
01-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brovalchuk View Post
Simple conjunction with Medvedev's statements paint a picture that he is waiting to decide. Add in the cryptic quotes from his agent and that scenario seems to be the most plausible.
Medvedev's statements are the only ones that I'm not debating. Its obvious what his message was. But you can't just assume that side is the true story because other quotes/translations support it when there are just as many going against it. There are too many statements on both sides of the spectrum and how to interpret them is purely speculation off of hidden clues that don't exist, the ambiguity of the translation, and really however you want it spun to create the biggest story. The only comments we can really read into is Medvedev, because he's pretty clear he wants to act like his league is on par with the NHL. But he's not the one making decisions on what players stay or go, so its kind of a moot point.

Quote:
Trust me, I love Kovy. Favorite player, there is a reason he is part of my username and my avatar. Its not so much his quotes that get me, its all the surrounding quotes. Medvedev's crazy rant last night. Grossman being unable to shed any light on the matter. Until Kovy flying back to NJ I am going to worry about it because, due to media sensationalism or not, there is a reason to worry.
Medvedev is going to go on his rant because he's trying to make his league look more legitimate by comparison. He's in a position where he can get away with such a brash statement because he doesn't have to play the same international PR war the NHL would (being the top league trying to draw in all of these young players from all over the world). Not sure if he's done something similar before, but he easily could if he wanted with no repercussions. Grossman can't say anything until its 100% certain/settled. The worst thing he can do is say something definitively without it being so, even if it will be in a few days. All agents operate this way (unless there are a few that just don't know how to deal with the media). If the plan is for Kovy to play in the ASG then hop a plane back to NJ, it doesn't look good to say that because it makes it look like Kovy is taking his time coming back. This is the kind of question he has to answer once a CBA is ratified, but right now he technically has no obligation to do so. Why should he be bullied into making a more definitive statement by the media/TG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
If by some weird circumstance, Kovy were to stay in Russia for the remainder of the year and maybe even longer, for whatever reason... would cancelling his contract be a option for Lou and the ownership?

This is not a scenario I want BTW, just curious to see how it would brake down.
Would be interesting to see what path the Devils take. They could suspend him without pay (and he can't go anywhere else in the NHL, much like Nabakov and the Islanders). Could void the contract and it would be subject to the NHL when, if ever, he could come back and go to any team in the league. If the Devils wanted, I'm sure they could sue him for breach of contract as well. Obviously that would be the lengthy, messy, complicated, yet highly intriguing path, but hopefully the whole thing never materializes in any sense.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Devilsfanatic0421
"You're next"

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/klj76k

Old
01-09-2013, 11:46 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic0421 View Post
Quote:
Vladimir Shalaev, KHL Hockey Operations VP on Kovalchuk: "Kovalchuk received an offer [to play in the All Star Game] and is going to Chelyabinsk. Because the lockout is not officially over, the CBA will not be signed until Sunday. This is being reported by respected North American websites, including TSN and NHL.com. Ilya's contract in the KHL is still valid. Then why not go to the All Star Game? We are a little disappointed that other NHL stars hurried to go back. We reached out to clubs and to players. Asked them to stick around. But NHL GMs requested them to come back as quickly as possible, and they [players] listened. The fact that NHL training camps will open on Saturday? No player is required to attend them. There is no signed CBA - there are no employer-employee relationships. Does this mean that Kovalchuk will stay with SKA until the end of the season? Don't rush to conclusions. Everything will become apparent on Sunday."
Far too late for that.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:48 AM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

Finally, a well translated version. That makes it sound much more favorable as to Kovy just waiting for Sunday to be over and then he will return.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Finally, a well translated version. That makes it sound much more favorable as to Kovy just waiting for Sunday to be over and then he will return.
Agreed

Old
01-09-2013, 11:51 AM
devilsblood

I advocate Kovy playing in the AS game over there.

I also don't mind him using this whole situation as leverage in an attempt to get NHL'rs in the next Olympics.

Missing camp doesn't bother me at all given he's in game shape.

I'd even go as far as to say I wouldn't mind him missing a couple games. I mean I'd rather he be back for the start, but a couple games I can forgive without much thought.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Devilsfanatic0421
"You're next"

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsblood View Post

I also don't mind him using this whole situation as leverage in an attempt to get NHL'rs in the next Olympics.

I'd even go as far as to say I wouldn't mind him missing a couple games. I mean I'd rather he be back for the start, but a couple games I can forgive without much thought.
F that.

ASG fine, but no longer than that.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Captain Lou

Send a message via AIM to Captain Lou
This has all the makings of a Lou/Kovy big middle finger to the NHL, making them look like an even bigger bush league in response to the lockout (Kovy) and the penalties imposed on us because of the Kovy contract (Lou). Lou's quotes speak volumes by what he isn't saying. Same with Grossman.

Kovy will play in the game and then return and come to camp on Monday.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:58 AM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsblood View Post

WHAT?! Not a chance am I ok with a player who has a contract with 1 team skipping games to play for another team. Especially in a condensed season where every game is so important.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:03 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

No, money down!

Old
01-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
O_o

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItVeryMuch View Post
No, money down!
J.G. Wentworth?

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
01-09-2013, 12:14 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
WHAT?! Not a chance am I ok with a player who has a contract with 1 team skipping games to play for another team. Especially in a condensed season where every game is so important.
Contract? NHL just told a couple hundred guys with contracts that they will not be playing nor getting paid for a couple months.

And Im not saying I'm cool with Kovy lolly gagging in Russia, but if there is a legit situation going on, wether it be ASG or something else, I'm not gonna get bent over a couple games.

But I fully expect him back by opening night. This was a hypothetical opinion.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Fayne Staley
Devils drafting sux

Pavel Lysenkov ‏@plysenkov

Quote:
Kovalchuk, Burke... Can I make one more BREAKING NEW? Pavel Datsyuk will play on KHL All Stars Game in Chelyabinsk (12-13 Jan).

Old
01-09-2013, 12:16 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Kovalchuk, Burke... Can I make one more BREAKING NEW? Pavel Datsyuk will play on KHL All Stars Game in Chelyabinsk (12-13 Jan).

Now it's Detroit's turn to

Old
01-09-2013, 12:26 PM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

https://twitter.com/plysenkov/status/289072669536706560

And the story continues.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:26 PM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Lou View Post
This has all the makings of a Lou/Kovy big middle finger to the NHL, making them look like an even bigger bush league in response to the lockout (Kovy) and the penalties imposed on us because of the Kovy contract (Lou). Lou's quotes speak volumes by what he isn't saying. Same with Grossman.

Kovy will play in the game and then return and come to camp on Monday.
Don't forget Lou being seemingly shouldered out of this round of CBA negotatiations as well...

Although I think it's tin-foil hat territory to suggest Lou is pulling any strings here. I think he, like most of us, is simply waiting until the CBA is official, Kovy has his moment in the Russian sun, and things return to status quo on Monday.

Besides, while I don't advocate treating any player above/different than another... this situation can pass the red-face test with respect to the timing of the game and the signing of the CBA. And at the end of the day, a happy Kovy is a productive Kovy.

Closed Thread