HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Ilya Kovalchuk to play in Russia - KHL Lockout Thread Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

vCash: 500
I'm glad the Burke thing is causing the media to shift away from the Kovalchuk BS. We won't stop hearing about Burke, and being fired for days!

Old
01-09-2013, 03:16 PM
holikwillfindyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I'm glad the Burke thing is causing the media to shift away from the Kovalchuk BS. We won't stop hearing about Burke, and being fired for days!
as someone who doesnt pay much attention to the clown show going on in toronto, why is burke's firing such a huge deal?

Old
01-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by holikwillfindyou View Post
as someone who doesnt pay much attention to the clown show going on in toronto, why is burke's firing such a huge deal?
It seemed kinda unexpected, and out of nowhere. Plus it's Toronto, and the big media market there will pump it up. That might be part of it at least.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
I don't blame Kovalchuk if he doesn't want to come back right away. He went from a league that was actively and unanimously preventing him from playing and getting paid to a league where he's beyond a superstar and a household name. This was probably the first time Kovy's ever been on a team that's marketed him as he SHOULD be marketed. Compare that to the sour taste that the NHL has likely left in lots of player's mouths (pause) and it can't make coming back very easy, especially to play a shortened season where he and his team probably won't be as successful.

Seriously, this is the least the league deserves and I wish more players had made some serious threats to not come back. Sucks that we'd be the victims, but I'd deal with it, and I'm sure Kovy would too.

Last edited by Hockey Sports Fan: 01-09-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old
01-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Cowbell232

And you guys are making it worse by picking up a post many pages back that was ignored.

Do. Not. Feed. The. Trolls.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Not really. TSN did the Burke thing for a bit. But they keep bringing up Kovy/Visnovsky.

A lot of headlines today.

yay hockey

Old
01-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
And you guys are making it worse by picking up a post many pages back that was ignored.

But they have the cutest look in their eyes when they see all of the snacks I have

Old
01-09-2013, 03:36 PM
davebenj

This wouldn't worry me so much if I didn't read that he thought about requesting a trade less than half a year after he signed his big contract with the Devils because of Maclean. That said, I won't panic yet until he misses time.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebenj View Post
This wouldn't worry me so much if I didn't read that he thought about requesting a trade less than half a year after he signed his big contract with the Devils because of Maclean. That said, I won't panic yet until he misses time.
Hell, even I thought about requesting a trade when MacLean was our coach.. Kovy has the right coach here who should be around for a while

Old
01-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Jersey Fresh
Video Et Taceo

At the end of the day this whole thing could be so easily diffused with one four word statement either from Kovy himself or his agent which is what pisses me off. Either you're thinking of staying or you're not, but saying nothing seems so pointless. At least Datsyuk left no room for controversy. Love Kovy...but come on man.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:46 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by holikwillfindyou View Post
Because Toronto.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:50 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
But they have the cutest look in their eyes when they see all of the snacks I have

I don't think CB appreciates you swiping all of his slim jims unless you "need a little excitement".

Anyway, back on-topic :

The only thing I fear from Kovy going to the KHL Allstar game is GETTING HURT.

Aside from that, I see nothing wrong with him going there and then coming back in time for camp.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

You would think Ovechkin, and his big mouth would be the one over there still giving cryptic messages. Kovy's words about the lockout were pretty moderate compared to Ovechkin, and Bryzgalov.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:58 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
I don't think CB appreciates you swiping all of his slim jims unless you "need a little excitement".

Anyway, back on-topic :

Aside from that, I see nothing wrong with him going there and then coming back in time for camp.
if he hasnt been injured in league play up until now i highly doubt he will in an ASG. also, i agree that there nothing wrong with him playing for the fans then coming back after.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:00 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
You would think Ovechkin, and his big mouth would be the one over there still giving cryptic messages. Kovy's words about the lockout were pretty moderate compared to Ovechkin, and Bryzgalov.
I read somewhere Ovechkin came back early cause he was rehabbing a minor injury.

And the Burke thing is a big deal because it's Toronto, but it's also a big deal because it's Burke. Whatever you may think of him he's a big name in hockey circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post

He'd probably be more likely to get hurt in camp than in an All-Star game.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:01 PM
AZNDevil
Yay band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post

This .gif, I love it.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:02 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post

He'd probably be more likely to get hurt in camp than in an All-Star game.
Well gee....thanks for thinking "happy thoughts" there, pal.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
With Lou and Brian's relationship I hope Lou doesn't plan on retiring this summer.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:03 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
I don't blame Kovalchuk if he doesn't want to come back right away. He went from a league that was actively and unanimously preventing him from playing and getting paid to a league where he's beyond a superstar and a household name. This was probably the first time Kovy's ever been on a team that's marketed him as he SHOULD be marketed. Compare that to the sour taste that the NHL has likely left in lots of player's mouths (pause) and it can't make coming back very easy, especially to play a shortened season where he and his team probably won't be as successful.

Seriously, this is the least the league deserves and I wish more players had made some serious threats to not come back. Sucks that we'd be the victims, but I'd deal with it, and I'm sure Kovy would too.

Um, did he sign a contract with the NHL, or the New Jersey Devils?

Who have only bent over backwards for him as they got nailed for trying to squeeze his $100M in (which he would not sign without), and then had to ram through a second contract the same way, which caused a full blown *labor negotiation* for ONE PLAYER. Then after that, he still waffled about coming over.

That cost the team money and draft picks. Then a month into the deal, because the coach was mean to him, he wants out, and his MOM has to get him to honor his deal? C'mon.

Now you have this ******** and you say it's because of the lockout, well what the **** do the Devils have to do with that? Hell, no one was sure they even had an owner until a couple of days ago, and he's a pariah with the league. The players themselves had very little to say (of course, other than Kovy).

And you say it would be okay for him to walk under those circumstances? The Devils have bent over backwards for this guy time and time again, so if he doesn't show, what do we add to the cost of that? Damage to the product on the ice, finanicial damage, more hockey asset damage in order to get a player to replace him?

It's not going to fly. If he's not there for the first game, the Devils, for all they've done for him, they would have had it paid forward in spades and they deserve to do whatever it is in their power to make him suffer for it.

The end. Yeah, they got one tangible thing out of the deal, but other than that, it's the gift that kept on giving. There's another guy they could have signed starting on 7/1/10, but I won't get into that.

He's got to show up, and if he doesn't, he'll be one of the biggest ingrates in professional sports history.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
I read somewhere Ovechkin came back early cause he was rehabbing a minor injury.

And the Burke thing is a big deal because it's Toronto, but it's also a big deal because it's Burke. Whatever you may think of him he's a big name in hockey circles.
Yes I read that about Ovechkin with the minor injury.

And yeah Burke probably would have made some significant news even if he was GM, and fired from another team.

Was this move really expected though? I heard for months now he would probably get canned had they missed the playoffs this year.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:07 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
Um, did he sign a contract with the NHL, or the New Jersey Devils?

Who have only bent over backwards for him as they got nailed for trying to squeeze his $100M in (which he would not sign without), and then had to ram through a second contract the same way, which caused a full blown *labor negotiation* for ONE PLAYER. Then after that, he still waffled about coming over.

That cost the team money and draft picks. Then a month into the deal, because the coach was mean to him, he wants out, and his MOM has to get him to honor his deal? C'mon.

Now you have this ******** and you say it's because of the lockout, well what the **** do the Devils have to do with that? Hell, no one was sure they even had an owner until a couple of days ago, and he's a pariah with the league. The players themselves had very little to say (of course, other than Kovy).

And you say it would be okay for him to walk under those circumstances? The Devils have bent over backwards for this guy time and time again, so if he doesn't show, what do we add to the cost of that? Damage to the product on the ice, finanicial damage, more hockey asset damage in order to get a player to replace him?

It's not going to fly. If he's not there for the first game, the Devils, for all they've done for him, they would have had it paid forward in spades and they deserve to do whatever it is in their power to make him suffer for it.

The end. Yeah, they got one tangible thing out of the deal, but other than that, it's the gift that kept on giving. There's another guy they could have signed starting on 7/1/10, but I won't get into that.

He's got to show up, and if he doesn't, he'll be one of the biggest ingrates in professional sports history.
rep'ed

Old
mattpol

I just emailed Jay Grossman and told him what I think of this situation, and would encourage you to do the same. You can find his email address here: http://www.nhlpa.com/inside-nhlpa/ce...-an-agent?ln=G

Old
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Can we, at least, wait for him to say he doesn't want to come back before we get our panties in a bunch about him not wanting to come back?

Old
01-09-2013, 04:08 PM
apice3*

Kovy is the Devils biggest troll. He's just having fun with the media, I think. He's probably cracking up back home.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
With Lou and Brian's relationship I hope Lou doesn't plan on retiring this summer.
NOOOOOO!!!!!

Don't give anyone like Lou or Brian any ideas!

You're a pretty powerful person Scotty. I still credit you with putting the muzzle on Barch's twitter!

Closed Thread