HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Another Brick in the Wall Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-29-2012, 07:58 PM
  #401
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,999
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Schneider put up .960+ in a series where Lu went sub .900... again. Goalies can't score goals but they can allow less and give your team a better chance to win.
Right, and that .960 SVP really took us far. As a matter of fact, I just read somewhere that because of that the NHL is considering overturning the loss to the Kings and awarding the Cup to the Canucks. Afterall, it's not about how many games you WIN, it's just all about what happens during a game that matters, right?


__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 08:02 PM
  #402
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Right, and that .960 SVP really took us far. As a matter of fact, I just read somewhere that because of that the NHL is considering overturning the loss to the Kings and awarding the Cup to the Canucks. Afterall, it's not about how many games you WIN, it's just all about what happens during a game that matters, right?

A better save % will lead to more wins. You know, like Jonathan Quick or Tim Thomas.

Scurr is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 08:03 PM
  #403
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Schneider put up .960+ in a series where Lu went sub .900... again. Goalies can't score goals but they can allow less and give your team a better chance to win.
Bang on.

LiquidSnake* is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 08:04 PM
  #404
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
A better save % will lead to more wins. You know, like Jonathan Quick or Tim Thomas.
It's funny that he took that spin on games won when his argument was destroyed

LiquidSnake* is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 08:04 PM
  #405
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,999
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
A better save % will lead to more wins. You know, like Jonathan Quick or Tim Thomas.
Offense is the problem and we need to address this. Either we're going to start the rebuild and bring in futures, or we're going to try to win the Cup and bring in a player (like Lupul) who will have an impact now. Either way, we won't win with either goalie until we improve our offense because the personnel we have right now have proven they aren't capable of getting it done.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 08:10 PM
  #406
sunnyvale420
Registered User
 
sunnyvale420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 593
vCash: 500
Could someone please post the interview where Louongo said "it's time to move on"? I ask because i remember reading it, and i also remember the context being that it's time to move on from interviewers constantly speculating on where he'll go, time to move on from a dissapointing end to the season in preparation for the next... I get the sense that Luongo knows he will be traded at some point (his contract sure implys it) but he's not going to handcuff gillis by doing a rick nash impersonation. His wife is from Florida and she obviously calls the shots if you read between the lines. With her pressuring him to move back to florida to be with family I would guess that Lou has given Gillis a small list of teams that he would waive for. The catch being that Lou is content to live and play in Van until Gillis is able to find the best deal with a team on Lou's list, so it may be a while.

BTW does anyone remember the details in Luongo's contract? IIRC Lou has an option in year 4 to give a list of teams he'd leave for, and the club has an option in year six to expand the number of teams to trade to?

sunnyvale420 is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 08:22 PM
  #407
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,227
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Schneider put up .960+ in a series where Lu went sub .900... again. Goalies can't score goals but they can allow less and give your team a better chance to win.
Those were different games played different ways. The Canucks took lots of penalties, played looser defensively and made more mistakes. Preventing goals isn't all about goaltending, though it does play a huge part. Pretty sure Luongo was our best player in one of those games and the other he played well enough that the team in front of us could have won.

Reverend Mayhem is online now  
Old
11-29-2012, 08:25 PM
  #408
MajorCanuck
Cup Please
 
MajorCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 689
vCash: 500
I think it is irrelevant talking about keeping Luo because for intents and purposes, the organization is now committed to Cory. Too many burnt bridges with Luo to see him return next year as the starter, whether fairly or unfairly.

MajorCanuck is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 08:34 PM
  #409
SunshineRays
Registered User
 
SunshineRays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvale420 View Post
Could someone please post the interview where Louongo said "it's time to move on"? I ask because i remember reading it, and i also remember the context being that it's time to move on from interviewers constantly speculating on where he'll go, time to move on from a dissapointing end to the season in preparation for the next... I get the sense that Luongo knows he will be traded at some point (his contract sure implys it) but he's not going to handcuff gillis by doing a rick nash impersonation. His wife is from Florida and she obviously calls the shots if you read between the lines. With her pressuring him to move back to florida to be with family I would guess that Lou has given Gillis a small list of teams that he would waive for. The catch being that Lou is content to live and play in Van until Gillis is able to find the best deal with a team on Lou's list, so it may be a while.

BTW does anyone remember the details in Luongo's contract? IIRC Lou has an option in year 4 to give a list of teams he'd leave for, and the club has an option in year six to expand the number of teams to trade to?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcnELWHTefU

Starts around 10 min mark.

SunshineRays is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 08:39 PM
  #410
Nuck Bonino
Registered User
 
Nuck Bonino's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,273
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCanuck View Post
I think it is irrelevant talking about keeping Luo because for intents and purposes, the organization is now committed to Cory. Too many burnt bridges with Luo to see him return next year as the starter, whether fairly or unfairly.
I could see Lu coming back if we fire AV

Nuck Bonino is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 08:45 PM
  #411
MajorCanuck
Cup Please
 
MajorCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler is Bestler View Post
I could see Lu coming back if we fire AV
I see Luo getting moved before AV getting fired.

MajorCanuck is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 09:00 PM
  #412
skywarp75
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
A better save % will lead to more wins. You know, like Jonathan Quick or Tim Thomas.
did you even watch the games? by your tone it seems as if you didnt. In the first 2 games against LA, Luongo was the only Canuck that even appeared to be trying.... was clearly our best player in those games.

skywarp75 is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 09:06 PM
  #413
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,999
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp75 View Post
did you even watch the games? by your tone it seems as if you didnt. In the first 2 games against LA, Luongo was the only Canuck that even appeared to be trying.... was clearly our best player in those games.
Nope. According to him Luongo is the reason we aren't two time cup champs. He's probably going to blame Luongo for Schneider losing this year.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 09:24 PM
  #414
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Or maybe his combined save percentage speaks louder than the noise in his PK save percentage, as studies have shown, and he continues to put up impressive numbers?

Numbers aside, Schneider looks better. He's more athletic, better technically and is a much more stable personality. The numbers only back up what I see with my eyes.

I know I can never win this argument with you, you'll just move the needle. I can see it now "Lu would have done that if the team would have scored some goals or played better defensively".

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Offense is the problem and we need to address this. Either we're going to start the rebuild and bring in futures, or we're going to try to win the Cup and bring in a player (like Lupul) who will have an impact now. Either way, we won't win with either goalie until we improve our offense because the personnel we have right now have proven they aren't capable of getting it done.

Like clock work

Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 09:35 PM
  #415
CanuckLuck
Registered User
 
CanuckLuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Nope. According to him Luongo is the reason we aren't two time cup champs. He's probably going to blame Luongo for Schneider losing this year.
So I suppose it makes more sense to blame the Sedins instead, right?

CanuckLuck is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 09:40 PM
  #416
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,999
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
So I suppose it makes more sense to blame the Sedins instead, right?
Well when the team puts up 1.6 goals per game on average over the past 10 playoff games, I think it's fair to blame our franchise forwards. Especially since those franchise forwards were liabilities in the SCF.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 09:51 PM
  #417
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Well when the team puts up 1.6 goals per game on average over the past 10 playoff games, I think it's fair to blame our franchise forwards. Especially since those franchise forwards were liabilities in the SCF.
Yet the goalie that would be lights out at home but played worse then John Garrett in Boston wasn't one himself? I guess we should have just started the back up on the road instead of Lu cause we knew Lu was going to crap the bed on the road, we didn't know what we'd get from Schneider! Oh wait yes we do: consistency.


Last edited by Scottrockztheworld*: 11-29-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 10:11 PM
  #418
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,871
vCash: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Well when the team puts up 1.6 goals per game on average over the past 10 playoff games, I think it's fair to blame our franchise forwards. Especially since those franchise forwards were liabilities in the SCF.
Henrik was easily our best skater in the LA series. He was everything you'd want a captain to be. PPG, unshakeable, and always giving 110%. We were simply unlucky. Injuries to our key players and a red-hot Quick.

Obviously we need to improve our offense, but the Sedins are not the problem here.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 10:15 PM
  #419
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Henrik was easily our best skater in the LA series. He was everything you'd want a captain to be. PPG, unshakeable, and always giving 110%. We were simply unlucky. Injuries to our key players and a red-hot Quick.

Obviously we need to improve our offense, but the Sedins are not the problem here.
Luck/Bounces were only part of the reason. You cannot with a straight face say the team was playing well for the last 2 months leading up to the playoffs. Hell, it was lucky that we won the presidents trophy playing how we did most nights.

timw33 is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 10:22 PM
  #420
canucksfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 27,111
vCash: 500
When it comes to the Bruins series, the offence sucked, the defence sucked and the goaltending sucked. Can't blame one player.

canucksfan is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 10:54 PM
  #421
SunshineRays
Registered User
 
SunshineRays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 864
vCash: 500
Sportsnet Daren Millard opinion:

Q: what are your thoughts on the leafs possibly getting luongo once the lockout ends, realistic? What would leafs give up?
A: I have heard bozak and kadri and I think luongo is a leaf post lockout

We're hearing Bozaks name wayyyy to often IMO. Gross. I can't even stomach the thought of him in an orca uniform.

SunshineRays is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 11:30 PM
  #422
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,999
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Henrik was easily our best skater in the LA series. He was everything you'd want a captain to be. PPG, unshakeable, and always giving 110%. We were simply unlucky. Injuries to our key players and a red-hot Quick.

Obviously we need to improve our offense, but the Sedins are not the problem here.
Henrik was alright in the LA series, but that isn't saying much. He was outplayed by LA's captain, but unlike Brown Henrik had no one else who showed up.

The Sedins, IMO, were a huge problem in the 2011 playoffs. Their offense was very sub par for 3 of the series, and their defense was downright embarassing. In game 7 of the SCF, for example, they were the only line to get scored on. The Sedins aren't the type of players who raise the level of their play in the playoffs, and in fact they haven't even brought the same level of play/production from the regular season to the playoffs. Having said that though, none of our other forwards do either.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 11:33 PM
  #423
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,999
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Sportsnet Daren Millard opinion:

Q: what are your thoughts on the leafs possibly getting luongo once the lockout ends, realistic? What would leafs give up?
A: I have heard bozak and kadri and I think luongo is a leaf post lockout

We're hearing Bozaks name wayyyy to often IMO. Gross. I can't even stomach the thought of him in an orca uniform.
I would probably become an Oilers fan if the Canucks blow it by dumping Luongo for Bozak and Kadri. And then I'll laugh when this organization becomes the next Calgary Flames, because that's what would happen if we make a stupid trade like this.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 11:36 PM
  #424
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,576
vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Henrik was alright in the LA series, but that isn't saying much. He was outplayed by LA's captain, but unlike Brown Henrik had no one else who showed up.

The Sedins, IMO, were a huge problem in the 2011 playoffs. Their offense was very sub par for 3 of the series, and their defense was downright embarassing. In game 7 of the SCF, for example, they were the only line to get scored on. The Sedins aren't the type of players who raise the level of their play in the playoffs, and in fact they haven't even brought the same level of play/production from the regular season to the playoffs. Having said that though, none of our other forwards do either.
Let's ignore they were playing against Boston's best forward and defense lines, their support (Edler and Ehrhoff) were injured, one barely able to do much more than skate and the only other offensive line was crippled due to injury. Toss in the fact Henrik was injured to boot and you see why they struggled.

Bourne Endeavor is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 11:37 PM
  #425
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,227
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Sportsnet Daren Millard opinion:

Q: what are your thoughts on the leafs possibly getting luongo once the lockout ends, realistic? What would leafs give up?
A: I have heard bozak and kadri and I think luongo is a leaf post lockout

We're hearing Bozaks name wayyyy to often IMO. Gross. I can't even stomach the thought of him in an orca uniform.
I won't support any deal that has Bozak come our way. Any trades that involves picks, prospects, or projects as the centerpieces are not worth excepting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Henrik was alright in the LA series, but that isn't saying much. He was outplayed by LA's captain, but unlike Brown Henrik had no one else who showed up.
Henrik showed some real virtue in that series. I wasn't too gung-ho on the Sedins in the playoffs before that but Henrik really has evolved since just 2011. He's learnt some things that you need to have to be successful and if this lockout is sorted out this year, I think he'll lead us to a Cup.

Reverend Mayhem is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.