HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Another Brick in the Wall Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2012, 07:58 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Schneider put up .960+ in a series where Lu went sub .900... again. Goalies can't score goals but they can allow less and give your team a better chance to win.
Right, and that .960 SVP really took us far. As a matter of fact, I just read somewhere that because of that the NHL is considering overturning the loss to the Kings and awarding the Cup to the Canucks. Afterall, it's not about how many games you WIN, it's just all about what happens during a game that matters, right?

11-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Scurr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Right, and that .960 SVP really took us far. As a matter of fact, I just read somewhere that because of that the NHL is considering overturning the loss to the Kings and awarding the Cup to the Canucks. Afterall, it's not about how many games you WIN, it's just all about what happens during a game that matters, right?

A better save % will lead to more wins. You know, like Jonathan Quick or Tim Thomas.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:03 PM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Schneider put up .960+ in a series where Lu went sub .900... again. Goalies can't score goals but they can allow less and give your team a better chance to win.
Bang on.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:04 PM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
A better save % will lead to more wins. You know, like Jonathan Quick or Tim Thomas.
It's funny that he took that spin on games won when his argument was destroyed

Old
11-29-2012, 08:04 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Offense is the problem and we need to address this. Either we're going to start the rebuild and bring in futures, or we're going to try to win the Cup and bring in a player (like Lupul) who will have an impact now. Either way, we won't win with either goalie until we improve our offense because the personnel we have right now have proven they aren't capable of getting it done.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:10 PM
sunnyvale420

Could someone please post the interview where Louongo said "it's time to move on"? I ask because i remember reading it, and i also remember the context being that it's time to move on from interviewers constantly speculating on where he'll go, time to move on from a dissapointing end to the season in preparation for the next... I get the sense that Luongo knows he will be traded at some point (his contract sure implys it) but he's not going to handcuff gillis by doing a rick nash impersonation. His wife is from Florida and she obviously calls the shots if you read between the lines. With her pressuring him to move back to florida to be with family I would guess that Lou has given Gillis a small list of teams that he would waive for. The catch being that Lou is content to live and play in Van until Gillis is able to find the best deal with a team on Lou's list, so it may be a while.

BTW does anyone remember the details in Luongo's contract? IIRC Lou has an option in year 4 to give a list of teams he'd leave for, and the club has an option in year six to expand the number of teams to trade to?

Old
11-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Those were different games played different ways. The Canucks took lots of penalties, played looser defensively and made more mistakes. Preventing goals isn't all about goaltending, though it does play a huge part. Pretty sure Luongo was our best player in one of those games and the other he played well enough that the team in front of us could have won.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:25 PM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

I think it is irrelevant talking about keeping Luo because for intents and purposes, the organization is now committed to Cory. Too many burnt bridges with Luo to see him return next year as the starter, whether fairly or unfairly.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:34 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvale420 View Post
Could someone please post the interview where Louongo said "it's time to move on"? I ask because i remember reading it, and i also remember the context being that it's time to move on from interviewers constantly speculating on where he'll go, time to move on from a dissapointing end to the season in preparation for the next... I get the sense that Luongo knows he will be traded at some point (his contract sure implys it) but he's not going to handcuff gillis by doing a rick nash impersonation. His wife is from Florida and she obviously calls the shots if you read between the lines. With her pressuring him to move back to florida to be with family I would guess that Lou has given Gillis a small list of teams that he would waive for. The catch being that Lou is content to live and play in Van until Gillis is able to find the best deal with a team on Lou's list, so it may be a while.

BTW does anyone remember the details in Luongo's contract? IIRC Lou has an option in year 4 to give a list of teams he'd leave for, and the club has an option in year six to expand the number of teams to trade to?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcnELWHTefU

Starts around 10 min mark.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Nuck Bonino

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCanuck View Post
I think it is irrelevant talking about keeping Luo because for intents and purposes, the organization is now committed to Cory. Too many burnt bridges with Luo to see him return next year as the starter, whether fairly or unfairly.
I could see Lu coming back if we fire AV

Old
11-29-2012, 08:45 PM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler is Bestler View Post
I could see Lu coming back if we fire AV
I see Luo getting moved before AV getting fired.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:00 PM
skywarp75

Quote:
did you even watch the games? by your tone it seems as if you didnt. In the first 2 games against LA, Luongo was the only Canuck that even appeared to be trying.... was clearly our best player in those games.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:06 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp75 View Post
did you even watch the games? by your tone it seems as if you didnt. In the first 2 games against LA, Luongo was the only Canuck that even appeared to be trying.... was clearly our best player in those games.
Nope. According to him Luongo is the reason we aren't two time cup champs. He's probably going to blame Luongo for Schneider losing this year.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Or maybe his combined save percentage speaks louder than the noise in his PK save percentage, as studies have shown, and he continues to put up impressive numbers?

Numbers aside, Schneider looks better. He's more athletic, better technically and is a much more stable personality. The numbers only back up what I see with my eyes.

I know I can never win this argument with you, you'll just move the needle. I can see it now "Lu would have done that if the team would have scored some goals or played better defensively".

Quote:
Offense is the problem and we need to address this. Either we're going to start the rebuild and bring in futures, or we're going to try to win the Cup and bring in a player (like Lupul) who will have an impact now. Either way, we won't win with either goalie until we improve our offense because the personnel we have right now have proven they aren't capable of getting it done.

Like clock work

Old
11-29-2012, 09:35 PM
CanuckLuck

Quote:
Nope. According to him Luongo is the reason we aren't two time cup champs. He's probably going to blame Luongo for Schneider losing this year.
So I suppose it makes more sense to blame the Sedins instead, right?

Old
11-29-2012, 09:40 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
So I suppose it makes more sense to blame the Sedins instead, right?
Well when the team puts up 1.6 goals per game on average over the past 10 playoff games, I think it's fair to blame our franchise forwards. Especially since those franchise forwards were liabilities in the SCF.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Well when the team puts up 1.6 goals per game on average over the past 10 playoff games, I think it's fair to blame our franchise forwards. Especially since those franchise forwards were liabilities in the SCF.
Yet the goalie that would be lights out at home but played worse then John Garrett in Boston wasn't one himself? I guess we should have just started the back up on the road instead of Lu cause we knew Lu was going to crap the bed on the road, we didn't know what we'd get from Schneider! Oh wait yes we do: consistency.

Last edited by Scottrockztheworld*: 11-29-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old
11-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1815
Quote:
Henrik was easily our best skater in the LA series. He was everything you'd want a captain to be. PPG, unshakeable, and always giving 110%. We were simply unlucky. Injuries to our key players and a red-hot Quick.

Obviously we need to improve our offense, but the Sedins are not the problem here.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:15 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Henrik was easily our best skater in the LA series. He was everything you'd want a captain to be. PPG, unshakeable, and always giving 110%. We were simply unlucky. Injuries to our key players and a red-hot Quick.

Obviously we need to improve our offense, but the Sedins are not the problem here.
Luck/Bounces were only part of the reason. You cannot with a straight face say the team was playing well for the last 2 months leading up to the playoffs. Hell, it was lucky that we won the presidents trophy playing how we did most nights.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:22 PM
canucksfan

When it comes to the Bruins series, the offence sucked, the defence sucked and the goaltending sucked. Can't blame one player.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:54 PM
SunshineRays

Sportsnet Daren Millard opinion:

Q: what are your thoughts on the leafs possibly getting luongo once the lockout ends, realistic? What would leafs give up?
A: I have heard bozak and kadri and I think luongo is a leaf post lockout

We're hearing Bozaks name wayyyy to often IMO. Gross. I can't even stomach the thought of him in an orca uniform.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:30 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post

Henrik was alright in the LA series, but that isn't saying much. He was outplayed by LA's captain, but unlike Brown Henrik had no one else who showed up.

The Sedins, IMO, were a huge problem in the 2011 playoffs. Their offense was very sub par for 3 of the series, and their defense was downright embarassing. In game 7 of the SCF, for example, they were the only line to get scored on. The Sedins aren't the type of players who raise the level of their play in the playoffs, and in fact they haven't even brought the same level of play/production from the regular season to the playoffs. Having said that though, none of our other forwards do either.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:33 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post

Q: what are your thoughts on the leafs possibly getting luongo once the lockout ends, realistic? What would leafs give up?

We're hearing Bozaks name wayyyy to often IMO. Gross. I can't even stomach the thought of him in an orca uniform.
I would probably become an Oilers fan if the Canucks blow it by dumping Luongo for Bozak and Kadri. And then I'll laugh when this organization becomes the next Calgary Flames, because that's what would happen if we make a stupid trade like this.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:36 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Henrik was alright in the LA series, but that isn't saying much. He was outplayed by LA's captain, but unlike Brown Henrik had no one else who showed up.

The Sedins, IMO, were a huge problem in the 2011 playoffs. Their offense was very sub par for 3 of the series, and their defense was downright embarassing. In game 7 of the SCF, for example, they were the only line to get scored on. The Sedins aren't the type of players who raise the level of their play in the playoffs, and in fact they haven't even brought the same level of play/production from the regular season to the playoffs. Having said that though, none of our other forwards do either.
Let's ignore they were playing against Boston's best forward and defense lines, their support (Edler and Ehrhoff) were injured, one barely able to do much more than skate and the only other offensive line was crippled due to injury. Toss in the fact Henrik was injured to boot and you see why they struggled.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:37 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post

I won't support any deal that has Bozak come our way. Any trades that involves picks, prospects, or projects as the centerpieces are not worth excepting.

Quote:
Henrik showed some real virtue in that series. I wasn't too gung-ho on the Sedins in the playoffs before that but Henrik really has evolved since just 2011. He's learnt some things that you need to have to be successful and if this lockout is sorted out this year, I think he'll lead us to a Cup.

Closed Thread