HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Another Brick in the Wall Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Leafer would you deal Gunnarsson if you had a replacement coming back?

I don't know about other posters here but I'd be sorely tempted to change gears and make a couple of upgrades to the roster as the return for Luongo rather than taking a handful of good-but-not-great prospects.

Say, Luongo and Ballard for Gunnarsson, and a couple of prospects of the Colborne/Percy/Blacker/Biggs ilk plus a couple of mid round picks.

(I know Ballard's reputation is awful around here but I am convinced he could be a top four defenseman on most other teams - Toronto seems to have a few other players who could play the right beyond Gunnar so the odds of Ballard forming an effective pairing with someone would be pretty high IMO.)

It would give the Canucks six defensemen who could at least moonlight in the top four, and three defensemen who can comfortably play on the right side. Maybe the best defensive depth that we've ever been able to get into the lineup all at once.
I still am reluctant to deal any Dmen. Gunnar is our #2, not knocking Ballard, but he would be a downgrade on an already weak d.

Old
11-23-2012, 05:42 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
If the cap drops to 60m~, then I'm not sure a multi-year 5m+ contract makes sense to bring in. As it stands, the Canucks have to shed Luongo and Ballard without taking any salary back just to be under. It would put them about 2m below. Edit: Oh, and they have to re-sign Higgins, Edler and Lappy. Malhotra and Raymond are also up in the air. Meaning, they need as much _future_ (as in not the current season) cap as they can muster at this point.

It's another reason I've been looking at mostly prospects as a package. They allow for better cost control.
I'm with you. We need to be shedding salary not adding it. Adding Grabo would be nice but we'd be massively screwed long term with just the players we have, the though of trying to fix the RS D or get a top 6 winger..ouch

Old
11-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Alright, if we really want to trade Luongo for a bunch of scrap pieces that won't amount to much, a couple C-level prospects and some draft picks then go ahead. It's a **** return we might as well trade Luo for Florida straight up for Goc.

Who are these scrap pieces and C level prospects?

Old
11-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
No thank you.

Lupul, Finn, 1st for Luongo.
You already said you would deal Luongo straight up for Lupul.

Hard to go back asking for Finn and a 1st now.

Old
11-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
You already said you would deal Luongo straight up for Lupul.

Hard to go back asking for Finn and a 1st now.
Ha!! Busted...Lupul straight up it is!!

Old
11-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
I'm with you. We need to be shedding salary not adding it. Adding Grabo would be nice but we'd be massively screwed long term with just the players we have, the though of trying to fix the RS D or get a top 6 winger..ouch

Yes, it does seem a daunting task: shed 9m in salary _and_ bring in upgrades. Can Gillis do it? He would have to acquire more valued ELCs to stand a chance IMO.

Further, I think Gillis is just going to let Malhotra and Raymond walk at the end of the year. Both are UFA. I can't see either returning. Their money would go to re-upping Higgins, Lapierre and Edler.

Old
11-23-2012, 06:11 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Yes, it does seem a daunting task: shed 9m in salary _and_ bring in upgrades. Can Gillis do it? He would have to acquire more valued ELCs to stand a chance IMO.

Further, I think Gillis is just going to let Malhotra and Raymond walk at the end of the year. Both are UFA. I can't see either returning. Their money would go to re-upping Higgins, Lapierre and Edler.
I am a huge Higgins fan, but he may no longer fit with the kids we bring in. With the lowered Cap I would assume Jensen, Kassian and Shreoder would all have spots, if we pick up Frattin (as you and I both think is likely) where do we play Higgins?

sedin Sedin Bur
Kas Kes Booth
Jensen Shreoder Hansen
Frattin Lappy Weise

I know this sounds like a lot of youth, but by next season, hopefully only Jensen would be rookie status. I like having depth, but with a shrinking cap it may not be an option.

Old
11-23-2012, 06:17 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Who are these scrap pieces and C level prospects?
Bozak
Frattin
Ashton
Finn
Percy
Colborne
Kadri
picks

Do you really see any of those pieces making an impact on the Canucks? Maybe Finn or Percy in 3 or 4 years. 1st round pick won't be an impact player for another 3 years.

I don't see why we want any of those pieces back. We were one win away from winning the Cup 18 months ago. We don't just trade a star goalie for that. I wouldn't make a trade for Luongo for all the pieces I named. Those are quantity pieces that are an easy way out of this ordeal. This team doesn't need quantity pieces, we need quality pieces.

Old
11-23-2012, 06:42 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I still am reluctant to deal any Dmen. Gunnar is our #2, not knocking Ballard, but he would be a downgrade on an already weak d.
Fair enough. You guys will have to package Ballard and Reimer (and one of MacArthur/Kulemin/etc/etc) for a better defenseman, then.

Old
11-23-2012, 06:43 PM
skywarp75

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
I am a huge Higgins fan, but he may no longer fit with the kids we bring in. With the lowered Cap I would assume Jensen, Kassian and Shreoder would all have spots, if we pick up Frattin (as you and I both think is likely) where do we play Higgins?

sedin Sedin Bur
Kas Kes Booth
Jensen Shreoder Hansen
Frattin Lappy Weise

I know this sounds like a lot of youth, but by next season, hopefully only Jensen would be rookie status. I like having depth, but with a shrinking cap it may not be an option.
I have high hopes for Shroeder, but he has a long ways to go before being able to replace what Higgins brings every night.

Old
11-23-2012, 06:59 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp75 View Post
I have high hopes for Shroeder, but he has a long ways to go before being able to replace what Higgins brings every night.
Actually it is Jensen who would be replacing Higgins, two years down the road as a rookie. Shreoder would be replacing essentially Hodgson last season, then himself, when this would happen.

Old
11-23-2012, 07:11 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Bozak
Frattin
Ashton
Finn
Percy
Colborne
Kadri
picks

Do you really see any of those pieces making an impact on the Canucks? Maybe Finn or Percy in 3 or 4 years. 1st round pick won't be an impact player for another 3 years.

I don't see why we want any of those pieces back. We were one win away from winning the Cup 18 months ago. We don't just trade a star goalie for that. I wouldn't make a trade for Luongo for all the pieces I named. Those are quantity pieces that are an easy way out of this ordeal. This team doesn't need quantity pieces, we need quality pieces.
We could always repackage them, especially the 1st.

Old
11-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
We could always repackage them, especially the 1st.
The first perhaps. I don't see any use in the others...maybe we can send them to a team that needs them like Columbus, Anaheim, Edmonton, or Tampa Bay.

Old
11-23-2012, 08:00 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:

Here are our 2013-14 guys under contract for that year. I've put Gaunce in because at least he's under contract.

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alex Burrows ($4.000m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Nicklas Jensen ($0.894m) / XXXXXXX / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
XXXXXX / Brendan Gaunce ($1.088m) / XXXXXX
XXXXXX
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / XXXXXXXX
Keith Ballard ($4.200m) /XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAP PAYROLL: $52,301,667

the 12-13 season would be a $63m cap at the 50% + $8m, god knows what it might be with the lockout. I'm imagining it'd be around the same.

That's $10m for
* Edler (5-6m)
* Tanev (1m)
* 3C ($2m)
* 7D (0.5m)
* 8D (0.5m)
* 4LW (0.5m)
* 4RW (0.5m)
* 13F (0.5m)

Even if we miraculously dump Ballard's $4.2m it is still a horrible squeeze, given Ballard's replacement will probably cost 1.5-2m. All that and we are just standing stilling at best, filling the roster out with 500K plugs.

I might get a few nasty looks but trading Edler is looking like the strongest option. LS D is a position of strength, if we can't afford to keep him without gutting the team in 13-14 maybe we should deal him for a cheap HQ prospect that fits one of those XXXXXX holes [insert Couturier offer here].

Last edited by me2: 11-23-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old
11-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Pseudonymous

Ive brought up trading edler a couple times but i really dont know about that, i think i might change my mind, the guy is 26 and a man's physical strength peaks at like 30. I think hes worth keeping, are we going to be those guys that let people go as soon as they earn big bucks. I think he'll be worth what his next contract will be.

What we need to do is trade Luongo for some youth, we dont need any players to help us right now, we're fine and will challenge again.

We need players coming up on cheap contracts. We can always sign cheap fillers for positions on one year contracts, these types of guys are always available, you want a 3rd line c, pay arnott. next year there will be another guy, maybe by that time, schroeder. Temp replacements until our young guys fill.

I hope we get a high 1st rounder and top prospects a year or two away. I dont want frattin's and bozaks, we have enough

Everybody is so now now now, one or two years isn't a super long time. Hell by the time NHL starts back up, kadri might be an nhl player, hes still developing. And NHL is a joke and taking their sweet time. Prospects develop at a quick rate at this age

Old
11-23-2012, 08:41 PM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
Ive brought up trading edler a couple times but i really dont know about that, i think i might change my mind, the guy is 26 and a man's physical strength peaks at like 30. I think hes worth keeping, are we going to be those guys that let people go as soon as they earn big bucks. I think he'll be worth what his next contract will be.

What we need to do is trade Luongo for some youth, we dont need any players to help us right now, we're fine and will challenge again.

We need players coming up on cheap contracts. We can always sign cheap fillers for positions on one year contracts, these types of guys are always available, you want a 3rd line c, pay arnott. next year there will be another guy, maybe by that time, schroeder. Temp replacements until our young guys fill.

I hope we get a high 1st rounder and top prospects a year or two away. I dont want frattin's and bozaks, we have enough
I think Edler is at his peak physically right now (around 24/25 is when most people are at their physical best), but he still has some ways to go mentally. Hopefully he finds that other side of his game.

Old
11-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCanuck View Post
I think Edler is at his peak physically right now (around 24/25 is when most people are at their physical best), but he still has some ways to go mentally. Hopefully he finds that other side of his game.
Yeah im not sure about that really, maybe forwards or something. But big guys who had to fill out a tall frame, usually are more like 27-28. Just my opinion though. You might appear in better shape but i dont know, something about old man strength (not that 27/28 is old haha)

I think he has plenty of time to mature into a player who is consistent physically and letting go of him at this age will bite us in the ass.

100 bucks says in the next off season or two, everyone is hoping we sign a good D cuz we have a hole and we all know how FA pricetags are, and people will ahve no problem saying go for this guy and that guy... when all along, we could have kept Edler.

This guy was nominated to the all star game. We have him, we can keep him. I dont see why you dont. We have way too much excess crap on this team, get rid of that

Old
11-23-2012, 08:50 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Here are our 2013-14 guys under contract for that year. I've put Gaunce in because at least he's under contract.

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alex Burrows ($4.000m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Nicklas Jensen ($0.894m) / XXXXXXX / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
XXXXXX / Brendan Gaunce ($1.088m) / XXXXXX
XXXXXX
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / XXXXXXXX
Keith Ballard ($4.200m) /XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAP PAYROLL: $52,301,667

the 12-13 season would be a $63m cap at the 50% + $8m, god knows what it might be with the lockout. I'm imagining it'd be around the same.

That's $10m for
* Edler (5-6m)
* Tanev (1m)
* 3C ($2m)
* 7D (0.5m)
* 8D (0.5m)
* 4LW (0.5m)
* 4RW (0.5m)
* 13F (0.5m)

Even if we miraculously dump Ballard's $4.2m it is still a horrible squeeze, given Ballard's replacement will probably cost 1.5-2m. All that and we are just standing stilling at best, filling the roster out with 500K plugs.

I might get a few nasty looks but trading Edler is looking like the strongest option. LS D is a position of strength, if we can't afford to keep him without gutting the team in 13-14 maybe we should deal him for a cheap HQ prospect that fits one of those XXXXXX holes [insert Couturier offer here].
Actually it's a horrible squeeze if you don't dump Ballard, if you do it's quite manageable as you're looking at about $8-9m to fill out the team's depth.

Pencil in Schroeder and Tanev for say $3m combined (probably a pretty generous number) and you've got $5-6m to play with and the only spots on the roster that need to be filled is a guy who plays 14 minutes a night (6D), two guys who play 8 minutes a night (fourth line wingers) and then a bunch of guys who don't even get into the lineup on a regular basis.

No way do you trade a guy like Alex Edler (sure, maybe for Couturier but that's not going to happen) in order to make room for Keith Ballard on your NHL roster.

Old
11-23-2012, 08:56 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Roster that CAN'T move (for positional reasons)
Kessel
JVR (just brought in)
Grabo
Phaneuf
Liles
Gardiner
Gunnar
Komi (i know, but we only have 5 D-men signed right now)
Brown (heart and soul guy, only fighter left)
McClement (just brought in)

Prospects not available:
Reilly

Now, keep in mind i may have missed some and again, some of the nogo's are strictly because we don't have the NHL ready depth.
Those bolded players are untouchable? Are you kidding me?

And Brown is a heart and soul guy? Good grief.

Our heart and soul guy is one that puts up 20+ goals a season and scores clutch goals.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:13 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Actually it's a horrible squeeze if you don't dump Ballard, if you do it's quite manageable as you're looking at about $8-9m to fill out the team's depth.
Roughly $14m, $5.5m Edler (Edler or Garrison plays RS), leaves $8.5m for

* 3c (Schroeder - $1m)
* 2x4th line $1m total
* LS 3rd pair D ($2m)
* 3 spares ($1.5m total)

$3m cap space, maybe enough for some small upgrades but not great.

Quote:
Pencil in Schroeder and Tanev for say $3m combined (probably a pretty generous number) and you've got $5-6m to play with and the only spots on the roster that need to be filled is a guy who plays 14 minutes a night (6D), two guys who play 8 minutes a night (fourth line wingers) and then a bunch of guys who don't even get into the lineup on a regular basis.

No way do you trade a guy like Alex Edler (sure, maybe for Couturier but that's not going to happen) in order to make room for Keith Ballard on your NHL roster.
Keeping Edler over Ballard is no brainer if you can trade Ballard. Depending of the squeeze around the league we might be hard pressed to find a trading partner who doesn't want to dump back on us equal salary. If we send Ballard to the minors it's WORSE since we are still on the hook for the hit - we end up having Ballard's cap hit and his replacements cap hit. A buyout no better, we get the buyout hit and the replacements hit.

I've assumed we have to move him anyway, but if no one wants Ballard I wonder what we'd have to give up with him to get someone to take him.

Last edited by me2: 11-23-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old
11-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Keeping Edler over Ballard is no brainer IF you can trade Ballard. Depending of the squeeze around the league we might be hard pressed to find a trading partner who doesn't want to dump back on us equal salary. If we send Ballard to the minors it's WORSE since we are still on the hook for the hit - we end up having Ballard's cap hit and his replacements cap hit. A buyout no better, we get the buyout hit and the replacements hit.

If no one wants Ballard I wonder what we'd have to give up with him to get someone to take him.
Theres no way in hell you cannot trade ballard. The guy is a fine hockey player. There is no excuse for not letting go of ballard and losing another high end D man unless he got offered a 20 year deal. There are 30 nhl teams, one would want a D who can play in the top 4

I hardly think his salary is a huge deal considering the need teams have for filling holes. I can't count how many people overpay every year. And its not like top 4 D are commonly available. Plus on another team, i think he will earn most of his salary.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Those bolded players are untouchable? Are you kidding me?

And Brown is a heart and soul guy? Good grief.

Our heart and soul guy is one that puts up 20+ goals a season and scores clutch goals.
Guess you totally missed the part were i said "not because of Luongo's value" and "for positional reasons"

Grabo is our best center=not movable

We have 5 NHL defensemen signed so ya, Gunnar and Gardiner are not movable.

Not sure what your "20 point guy" has anything to do with it, Brown is the one guy we have who can fight and chip in some offense.

Again, it isn't because i think they hold amazing value, it's because we don't have replacements. What good is bringing Luongo in if we are left with a center group of Bozak/Connolly/Steckel and McClement? Or a defensive group of 4 NHL defensemen (1 being Komi) and 3 more question marks?

Old
11-23-2012, 09:30 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Guess you totally missed the part were i said "not because of Luongo's value" and "for positional reasons"

Grabo is our best center=not movable

We have 5 NHL defensemen signed so ya, Gunnar and Gardiner are not movable.

Not sure what your "20 point guy" has anything to do with it, Brown is the one guy we have who can fight and chip in some offense.

Again, it isn't because i think they hold amazing value, it's because we don't have replacements. What good is bringing Luongo in if we are left with a center group of Bozak/Connolly/Steckel and McClement? Or a defensive group of 4 NHL defensemen (1 being Komi) and 3 more question marks?
Guess you missed the part where I said 20 goal guy and not point guy.

If you think that a 4th line plug who is trotted out to fight and play 8-10 mins can't be replaced, then I don't know if I can take much of what you say at face value.

You guys have 5 NHL dmen but no NHL goalie. Not sure how hard that is to understand that the Leafs are also dealing from a position of weakness. Including a GM who is all but guaranteed to be fired if he misses the playoffs. If he didn't have such a massive ego, I'd say that he wouldn't jeopardize that teams future.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Guess you missed the part where I said 20 goal guy and not point guy.

If you think that a 4th line plug who is trotted out to fight and play 8-10 mins can't be replaced, then I don't know if I can take much of what you say at face value.

You guys have 5 NHL dmen but no NHL goalie. Not sure how hard that is to understand that the Leafs are also dealing from a position of weakness. Including a GM who is all but guaranteed to be fired if he misses the playoffs. If he didn't have such a massive ego, I'd say that he wouldn't jeopardize that teams future.
Personally...i don't care if your guy has 50 goals. You say the Leafs are dealing from weakness like Burke HAS to trade for Luongo, he doesn't. Of course Brown could be replaced, kind of irrelevent as i doubt he's a part of a Luongo deal.
Bottom line, if the price is so high that it creates more holes than it fills,Burke walks. You move on to other teams and that is that.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:47 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Bozak
Frattin
Ashton
Finn
Percy
Colborne
Kadri
picks

I completely agree with this.