HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Would you rather win 1 Stanley Cup or 5 Hart Trophies if you were a player?

View Poll Results: Would you rather win
1 Stanley Cup 163 48.95%
5 Hart Trophies 170 51.05%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-22-2012, 11:08 AM
wedge

vCash: 500
playing ball hockey, when I score 4 goals in a game and we lose, I'm mad. When I score 1 goal and we win, I'm happy. So I guess I'd take the Stanley Cup because of that.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:09 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
playing ball hockey, when I score 4 goals in a game and we lose, I'm mad. When I score 1 goal and we win, I'm happy. So I guess I'd take the Stanley Cup because of that.
And if you have no impact on the game?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:13 AM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
well, the choice wasn't between being the best of the best and being the worst while being lucky enough to win one cup.

1 goal in a game of ball hockey is really average. Scores tend to be something like 10-8. I goal in a 10-8 victory isn't a huge impact. 4 goals in a 10-8 loss is good but.. you still lose. I'll take the win. I hate losing.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:14 AM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
When you don't get the big prize...the accolades are pointless. Everyone has a role a team. The '4th line scrubs' are the most important players in the playoffs. They're the Sidney Crosby's and Alex Ovechkin's for that period. You don't win the cup with dangles and fancy stick moves. You win with cup with hard-nosed, gritty play.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:14 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
I remember of my hockey dream as a kid. I pictured sitting on the bench, not really even sweating, bidding my time as a legitimate player on my team scores the OT winner. Then I hop of the bench and pretend that I am a true part of this championship. Nobody caring who I am, but at least I have my name engraved among the many on the cup.

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:16 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
When you don't get the big prize...the accolades are pointless. Everyone has a role a team. The '4th line scrubs' are the most important players in the playoffs. They're the Sidney Crosby's and Alex Ovechkin's for that period. You don't win the cup with dangles and fancy stick moves. You win with cup with hard-nosed, gritty play.
except that they're not

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:31 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
All right.

How many 4th liner has a Conn Smythe?

TAnnala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I remember of my hockey dream as a kid. I pictured sitting on the bench, not really even sweating, bidding my time as a legitimate player on my team scores the OT winner. Then I hop of the bench and pretend that I am a true part of this championship. Nobody caring who I am, but at least I have my name engraved among the many on the cup.
While you may not dream of it as a kid, when you grow older you tend to realize that everyone has a significant impact on the game. Even though you're not getting the attention, every player has his place. Being a role player on a team has an effect on the game that you seem to just not get. Everyone wants to be good, but not everyone can be the best. As a role player who wins the cup, you have no regrets with your career when all is said and done. You weren't a superstar, but you did the best with what you had and it all culminated in reaching the ultimate goal. If you win the hart 5 times, but never win you know you were a great player, but you were never actually on top of the hockey world and absolutely everyone will know it.

Also, for those who are saying someone in that situation might helpless if he doesn't win are simply wrong. Winning 5 hart trophies (Winning one won't happen if you don't make the playoffs in today's game) means you are the best player in the world. All eyes are on you to perform when it matters most and your team is depending on you to come through. When you don't win it, it shows you fell short in that situation, multiple times.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:40 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Then maybe a team should fill each line with those types of players. Look at every cup winner they all had a plethora of talent. Even the so called weak teams. You replace the grinders most of those teams will still win the cup.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:41 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Well 5 Harts implies I'm a hell of a individual asset worth a tonne of money so I'll take that option

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Metalcommand

I'd rather be Kris Draper grinding mofo's down winning 4 cups then for example Mats Sundin toiling away and never even being close to touch the Cup even though you were star player.

Metalcommand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:50 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreator View Post
The 4th liner will have his name on the cup.
The 5 time Hart winner will have his name in the HHOF.

Take your pick.
The 4th liner will have his name on the SC IN THE HHOF.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:52 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
You what I think I agree with you. I originally voted for the Cup, but I'm thinking from a fan perspective. As a player I think it would be better for the harts because you are going to make a ridiculous amount of money.
What if you were playing in the 40s?

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Hawkaholic

Wow, I can't believe the majority of the ppl picked the Hart trophies over the Cup.

The cup is the only reason you play hockey. Anyone who picks the Harts is ridiculously selfish.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 12:18 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Would you rather win 1 Olympic Gold or 5 Olympic Bronze?

Pretty easy for me, I go with the cup. Just for the memories of a cup run and how hard it is to win one.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Ogopogo*

The question really is: Do you want to be a passenger, a nobody, a floater, a guy that has other people carry him or do you want to make things happen and be a difference maker?

Really, the answer is easy. In my line of work it is like being a sales executive or a sales assistant. Do you want to be the assistant on the million dollar deal or do you want to be the guy that makes the deal happen?

Being an achiever > than riding on the cottails of others.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

I bet people taking the 5 Harts because of the money are the same people *****ing about the greed that caused the lockout.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

You enter the game and the league to get the cup. That's your goal from Day one, not the Hart trophy, not the ross, not the vezina. Every kids' dream is to get into the NHL and win the cup, not get into the NHL and get the Hart Trophy.

11-22-2012, 12:46 PM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

A cup. Even if you don't win a Hart trophy, you can still get into the HOF, as long you won a cup.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 12:56 PM
nowhereman

If I had 5 Harts, I'd probably be making 10 million dollars a year. The Stanley Cup is nice and all but retiring with 100 million dollars in the ol' bank account will dull the pain. And this is coming from someone who's played a higher level of hockey than probably 95% of the people on these boards, so it's not like I don't love the game or know what it's like to compete.

But I guess the question is a bit loaded... am I a cup-winning fourth liner, riding the coattails of the Crosbys and Malkins of the world, or am I a five million dollar a year first/second-liner who is making major contributions to my team? If it's the later, maybe I go with the cup.

Last edited by nowhereman: 11-22-2012 at 01:02 PM.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Oilception

This is a really interesting poll because nobody seems to be somewhere in the middle, most people are picking the Stanley cup easy or 5 Harts east

I would go with the 5 Harts personally. it would suck not having a cup but my mark on hockey would be a lot bigger with 5 Harts than just another grinder who won a cup.

Also the fame and money from being the best would be nice

Oilception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:13 PM
nowhereman

Quote:
Do you watch a lot of playoff hockey?

Sidney Crosby scored 15 goals and 31 points, took over 300 faceoffs, killed penalties, played in all situations, etc. on route to the cup. Sidney Crosby was the Sidney Crosby for that period, not Craig Adams. The year before that, Zetterberg was the best player on his team and, the year before that, it was future HHOFers Pronger, Neidermayer, and Selanne who led their team to glory, along with future stars Perry and Getzlaf. Hell, Pronger, Shannon, Carter, Parros, etc. barely played.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:22 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
5 Harts, not even close.

I would take a Cup over 1 hart, but 5?

Bottom line is that 25 players win a Cup ring every single year. They only hand out one Hart.. and to get 5 of them would mean I'd be an NHL immortal. Plus, if I'm playing at an MVP level then chances are I'll have a horse in the race ever year so to speak.

Would you rather be an "Oh yeah, remember him" dime a dozen guy who is one of hundreds to win a Cup or would you rather be an all time great and a player the hockey world will never forget?

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:28 PM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

I have been thinking about this a bit more. Here is my take on this. I originally voted 5 Harts BTW.

I reckon the Cup and Olympic gold are the two things young kids dream on and work to achieve. If it turns out that they are good enough to win a Hart on the way even nicer. But the Cup/Gold is the goal.

Keeping that in mind, i think every single player would answer this question with Cup. Mainly due to two reasons.

1st. You would get hammered on how selfish you are if you would admit your goal to be 5 Hart's.

2nd. 5 Hart's is a feat that basically can't be dreamed on. Since it is so ridiculously out of reach for basically every player.

5 Hart's is very easily much, much more impressive feat than 1 Cup. Even if you would be a key contributor on your teams Cup. That is the reason i voted for it. But, i guess i would want the Cup more, but if i would be thinking it rationally i should choose the 5 Hart's.

One question with two answers for me.

Heart says Cup, brain's say 5x Hart.

TAnnala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:31 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
The question really is: Do you want to be a passenger, a nobody, a floater, a guy that has other people carry him or do you want to make things happen and be a difference maker?

Really, the answer is easy. In my line of work it is like being a sales executive or a sales assistant. Do you want to be the assistant on the million dollar deal or do you want to be the guy that makes the deal happen?

Being an achiever > than riding on the cottails of others.
Nowhere in the OP's post does it say that the Stanley Cup winner is a 4th line scrub or a passenger/floater. Is every player who hasn't won 5 Hart trophies a scrub nobody who was riding on coattails?

The vast majority of Conn Smythe winners have never won a Hart trophy. I guess they're all passengers, floaters, guys that had other people carry them, guys that rode the coattails of others.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote