HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Would you rather win 1 Stanley Cup or 5 Hart Trophies if you were a player?

View Poll Results: Would you rather win
1 Stanley Cup 163 48.95%
5 Hart Trophies 170 51.05%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-22-2012, 01:37 PM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
Nowhere in the OP's post does it say that the Stanley Cup winner is a 4th line scrub or a passenger/floater. Is every player who hasn't won 5 Hart trophies a scrub nobody who was riding on coattails?

The vast majority of Conn Smythe winners have never won a Hart trophy. I guess they're all passengers, floaters, guys that had other people carry them, guys that rode the coattails of others.
I think it is fair to assume that the player winning the Cup would not be an impact player on NHL. At least this is what i read (and obviously many other as well)

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:40 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
I think it is fair to assume that the player winning the Cup would not be an impact player on NHL. At least this is what i read (and obviously many other as well)
Why? There's lots of quality 2nd liners and even 1st liners that won't win a Hart Trophy. Just because you don't win a Hart doesn't mean you're a slouch. Consider that for the duration of the 1980's only Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier(89-90) and Mario Lemieux (87-88) won the Hart Trophy. Think about all the amazing players from that era that never won a Hart.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:43 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Based on the OP's intended argument, it's easily the other way around. And the people picking cups obviously have never played sports. Sorry as an athlete, I'd want to be the best player I can be, not ride coat tails of better players to win a team award, just to be a "winner".
Really? Cause I've been a #1 goalie on many teams, and I've won many championships in my minor hockey league life and I've won many individual awards. And I will tell you right now that nothing, absolutely nothing felt better than winning with my teammates.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:47 PM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
Why? There's lots of quality 2nd liners and even 1st liners that won't win a Hart Trophy. Just because you don't win a Hart doesn't mean you're a slouch.
I was basing it more on the fact that it is what makes this question interesting. Cause clearly if you are 1st/2nd line star in the NHL you will have a long and financially great career. Winning the 5 Hart's means you will have all the benefits from there (money, fame etc) and winning the Cup is more about just achieving the ultimate goal in hockey, without having great career.

At least this is how i find the question more interesting.

Old
11-22-2012, 01:48 PM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
You enter the game and the league to get the cup. That's your goal from Day one, not the Hart trophy, not the ross, not the vezina. Every kids' dream is to get into the NHL and win the cup, not get into the NHL and get the Hart Trophy.
EXACTLY THIS!!

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:50 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Personally I rather win the Stanley Cup because it's the main goal of every NHL player.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:58 PM
LilySmoov

In order of what I'd want:

1a) To be an impact player on the Cup-winning team.
1b) To have 5 Harts.

3) To be a scrub on a Cup-winning team.

Nothing about #3 appeals to me.

LilySmoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:02 PM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilySmoov View Post
In order of what I'd want:

1a) To be an impact player on the Cup-winning team.
1b) To have 5 Harts.

3) To be a scrub on a Cup-winning team.

Nothing about #3 appeals to me.
That is very good way to put it. I like this too.

Old
11-22-2012, 02:02 PM
darglor

I'd take the cup, easily. No kid is playing street hockey with his friends, dreaming of winning the hart trophy.

Imagine the most ridiculously insane summer of your lifetime which is a non-stop party with 30 of your best friends and your family, all celebrating the successful achievement of a common goal. That beats the heck out of a snooty awards party where people politely clap for you and you've got no one to truly share the experience with; no one has the same euphoric feelings you do at that moment.

darglor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Triple Minor
Optimus Reim

If you win 5 Harts..you'll always think, "man, I wish I won a cup"

If you win the cup, you'll never think "man, i wish i won the Hart"

Triple Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Howard Beale

Wayne Gretzky
Gordie Howe
[insert your name here]

That would be the list of players with 5 Hart Trophies.

Howard Beale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:33 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
I'd bet the majority of Hart wanters are half drunk youngsters that don't really understand the value of the SC.

I like your Marino comparison, he will always be the super duper QB who couldn't win s*** when it mattered. He'll spend the rest of his life wishing he won the SB, Eli Manning will spend his knowing he won it all, twice.
Yes, of course that must be it, we must all be inebriated, immature idiots who don't value the Stanley Cup like you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
As voted by hockey writers.

It's clearly a difference in personality. Not good or bad either way, but one of those half full / half empty things. If 99 never won a Cup, his Harts would be afterthoughts.
So you're trying to tell me that Gretzky's career after being traded is meaningless..? I bet you'd find a lot of people who beg to differ..

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:40 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Are you kidding? Dan Marino is much more of a legend than Big Ben or Eli will ever be.

Hockey (like football) is a team sport. One player doesn't win a cup. A team does.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:41 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeRowan View Post
If you win 5 Harts..you'll always think, "man, I wish I won a cup"

If you win the cup, you'll never think "man, i wish i won the Hart"
If you win the cup, most likely people will forget who you are in a decade or two

If you win 5 Harts, you'll be remembered for the rest of NHL history

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Okay, to clarify my previous answer, if I was a scrub that played 4 minutes a game then I would rather have the Hart trophies, because my contribution did not mean much to the Cup win. However, if I was even a 3rd liner who mucked it up and contributed to the cup win then definitely the cup.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:06 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
Would you rather be Trent Dilfer or Dan Marino?

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 150
I'd rather be a winner than valuable in the regular season.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:35 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Call me selfish, but i'd rather be the guy who won 5 Harts without a second thought. The only players who ever won 5+ were freaking Gretzky and Howe. So going down as probably a top 10 player of all time would only undermine the fact that you never won a cup.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:45 PM
zzoo

Wowww, I'm really shocked to see the pick.
In my opinion, the choice is so obvious, and it's not even close:

Choice: either be a player like Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Gordie Howe
Or
Be a player like Jordan Nolan (L.A.), Shawn Thornton, Adam Burish (Chicago) or Craig Adams (Pittsburgh).

OMG, it's really hard to understand some choice.

I'd pick 1 Hart over 1 Stanley. If the choice is Conn Smythe, then the question becomes more reasonable.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:50 PM
LilySmoov

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
I'd rather be a winner than valuable in the regular season.
I'd rather be a legend and go down as one of the greatest to ever play the sport than ride on the coattails of others to success.

There are many different ways to frame it.

LilySmoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:55 PM
zzoo

I want to be a much better player than Jagr (1 Hart), Forsberg (1), Yzerman (0)or Orr (3), even though I have no Cup at all.

Stanley Cup is awarded to the best team while Hart is awarded to the best player. While a player greatly contributes to team success, no player is bigger than the team. The team wins the cup, not the player.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 04:18 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Wow, I can't believe the majority of the ppl picked the Hart trophies over the Cup.

The cup is the only reason you play hockey. Anyone who picks the Harts is ridiculously selfish.
Exactly what I mean by holier than thou and insulting. So if someone disagrees with you, they have a personality defect, brilliant.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
Really? Cause I've been a #1 goalie on many teams, and I've won many championships in my minor hockey league life and I've won many individual awards. And I will tell you right now that nothing, absolutely nothing felt better than winning with my teammates.
You ever been a backup goalie an entire season playing a couple games maybe once half a dozen games, and having to sitting on the bench that gold medal game?

Obviously if you're a #1 goalie on a championship team it's about as rewarding as it gets, as for backup goalies, you don't think they'd take 5 seasons where they were starting 1st string, and being the best at their position for that duration?

Sky04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 04:22 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I bet people taking the 5 Harts because of the money are the same people *****ing about the greed that caused the lockout.
Funny thing is that 90% people who complain about greed whether it be in sports or in corporate America would act exactly the same in those situations. However people have an outlook from their vantage point and are complaining now because they're not in that position.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 04:25 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
The question really is: Do you want to be a passenger, a nobody, a floater, a guy that has other people carry him or do you want to make things happen and be a difference maker?

Really, the answer is easy. In my line of work it is like being a sales executive or a sales assistant. Do you want to be the assistant on the million dollar deal or do you want to be the guy that makes the deal happen?

Being an achiever > than riding on the cottails of others.
Actually, the difference isn't anything like that. Your sales asst didn't grow up dreaming of being an asst on a million dollar deal. That deal won't be something they can talk about for the rest of their lives.

BTW, the "difference maker" in your anecdote didn't make the difference that they really wanted to make.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote