HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Why do people have outdoor cats?

Old
11-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

vCash: 270
Cats like the outside.

Plus, people don't always want their home to smell like urine and cat feces

Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 12:52 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
To rid the neighborhood of mice and other rodents.

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post
Why do people have indoor cats, weren't animals destined to be outside?

I live on 1.5 acres with no actual cars around my house, why should I keep the cat indoors all of the time, no litter box to clean, and not an abundance of cat hair everywhere.

I guess if you lived in an aparment complex or beside a highway having a cat outdoors would be silly, but it all depends on where you live.
Yeah, it does depend where you live. We live in the suburbs of a large town and our cat is allowed out, however our friends in Texas who also live in similar style suburbs do not let their cats out. Their reason being they could be attacked by something like a rattlesnake or a coyote, while in the UK we have no such dangerous animals except for the mythical black panther that roams Gloucestershire.

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
People own outdoor cats because they are lazy and ****** pet owners.
you must or will be a fun dad for your kids...

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
Cats like the outside.

Plus, people don't always want their home to smell like urine and cat feces
If your home smells like urine and feces then you may want to think about cleaning the litter box I never smell anything bad from my cat.

Anyway, I have a fat cat that I adopted and he was an indoor cat at the time. Before that he had been a stray and he's got the battle scars to prove it. I live in a quiet neighborhood without much traffic so I started transitioning him back into going outside. First I'd take him out with a leash and show him around, then I'd come out with him off the leash and follow him around. Now I can trust him to go out on his own and he doesn't cross the road and doesn't go any further than the next door neighbour's yard. He doesn't bug anyone and he enjoys the fresh air and the exercise is helping him lose weight, too. I think it's silly to have a cat and keep it inside 100% of the time just like I think it's silly to have a cat you never let in the house. There's a good balance you can strike. In my mind, cats need to be outside some times.

My old cat who lives with my mom now goes out all the time (backyard is all farm field) and he was like a dog. You could open the door and call his name and watch him come running across the field to you.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
I think the same way about people who force their cats to sit inside all day.

Why bother having a cat if it doesn't have the freedom to roam as it sees fit? Keeping a cat inside keeps it lazy, socially unstable, and (from what I've seen) hard to control. A cat who's not completely mentally inept will live a very long life even as an outdoor cat. My current cat is close to 15, and has been free to go outside whenever it wants. I am not a terrible pet owner, and my cat is treated better than most cats out there. When it wants inside, it comes inside. When it wants outside, it goes outside. Not to mention my cat stays perfectly fit, rather than lots of the giant indoor cats you see due to lack of exercise.

That being said, I do live in a small town (6000ish people), so I can understand why people in the heart of down-town in a city could not want a cat to be outside, but in that scenario I would just not choose a cat as a pet. Cats are town/farm pets, not indoor/city pets.

For the record, I class an outdoor cat as a cat who goes outdoors when it chooses, not as one who's not allowed in. If a cat isn't allowed in, I have problems with that, but I won't go into that right now.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
You could open the door and call his name and watch him come running across the field to you.
Our cat only does that when my mum says "Want dinner?!"

Old
11-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
Our cat only does that when my mum says "Want dinner?!"
At first to get him back in we had to use this special tin that came with cat treats in it to lure him back in. When you opened the lid it played the meow mix song

Old
11-22-2012, 02:29 PM
SlowShot

The worst are the outdoor cats who have to kill everything. During the summer I end up having at least 5 cats roam around my house killing birds and possums. They end up roaming in my back yard or on top of my house making my dogs go nut. Sadly both my dogs got hip problems or else they would both be having lunch. I've got cougars, coyotes and bears in the area, but they generally stay deep in the forest away from the housing areas.

Hoping to get a pellet gun this winter to take care of this problem next spring. I'm sorry but I value a Blue Jays live just as much as a cat.

SlowShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:36 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowShot View Post
The worst are the outdoor cats who have to kill everything. During the summer I end up having at least 5 cats roam around my house killing birds and possums. They end up roaming in my back yard or on top of my house making my dogs go nut. Sadly both my dogs got hip problems or else they would both be having lunch. I've got cougars, coyotes and bears in the area, but they generally stay deep in the forest away from the housing areas.

Hoping to get a pellet gun this winter to take care of this problem next spring. I'm sorry but I value a Blue Jays live just as much as a cat.
Yeah, it's terrible having animals working exactly as nature intended.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 02:44 PM
SlowShot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
Yeah, it's terrible having animals working exactly as nature intended.
When they have hardly no natural predators thanks to human development, so I believe a cull in my area might be necessary . We do it for every other animal, but since cats are cute nobody cares that they wreak havoc on bird population.

Some bird populations might never recover due to how many outdoor cats there are. On Vancouver Island I saw a report that in one area they are losing 80% of their bird population due to way too many outdoor cats.

Old
11-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:

Dogs don't actually eat cats you know... unless they are very aggressive wild dogs or are starving

They'd also have a hard time catching one even with healthy hips

Old
11-22-2012, 03:04 PM
SlowShot

Quote:
Dogs don't actually eat cats you know... unless they are very aggressive wild dogs or are starving

Tell that to my grandparents Sheppard, things enjoyed cats on more than one occasion.

Though your right my fat Bernese Mountain Dog ain't catching nobody, and my pound rescue is afraid of pylons and bongs, yet always attempts to wrestle the largest dog at off leash parks so she's kind of a wildcard.

FWIW i'm not a cat hater, I just am worried about the cat population getting out of control.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
FWIW i'm not a cat hater, I just am worried about the cat population getting out of control.
And the correct way of dealing with this is to buy a pellet gun and kill them?

Hopefully you don't meet anyone in your life who dislikes you and thinks the same way.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:23 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

If you live in the country or the 'burbs, letting a cat roam is no big deal.

We had cats that roamed, and some lived past 16 years.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:
Tell that to my grandparents Sheppard, things enjoyed cats on more than one occasion.

Though your right my fat Bernese Mountain Dog ain't catching nobody, and my pound rescue is afraid of pylons and bongs, yet always attempts to wrestle the largest dog at off leash parks so she's kind of a wildcard.

That's an exception rather than the rule. I doubt you could find many other people who could say their dog ate a cat.

Dogs would very rarely eat a cat, like I said usually only if they are wild and/or starving. Only hunting dogs would have the physical ability to catch one and even then they are usually only trained to maim or injure, and definitely wouldn't eat it unless starving.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Stansfield*

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
I've put up flyers warning people if no one claims the cat, I'm giving it to someone who can take care of it.
LOL. I also abduct other people's cats when they don't claim ownership for them at my personal convenience.

Stansfield* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Horse
Go Canucks!

My cat is an indoor/outdoor cat, we've had her for 17+ years now.

She LOVES being outside. My parents house backs onto the UBC endowment lands and she loves running through the grass, chasing bugs, watching the fish in our pond, and the gazillion different things a cat can do outside but not inside. How would you like being inside all the time? Probably not very much. Try not leaving you apartment for even a few days, life sucks with no fresh air. She was an indoor cat for a week when we first got her and she went nutty inside (jumped off 2nd story railing, down to the first floor).
There's three cats at my barn who are outdoor cats too. They catch a ton of mice, they look much happier than the average apartment cat to me.
My old roommate had a cat who was only indoor, he would cry everyday about wanting to go outside, it was pretty sad and depressing.

Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 07:35 PM
Ibrahim
I Am A God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
And what's the deal with airline peanuts? Am I right?
What's the deal with corn nuts? Is it corn or is it a nut?

Ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 07:43 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stansfield View Post
LOL. I also abduct other people's cats when they don't claim ownership for them at my personal convenience.
Just wanted to make sure it didn't just wander into our apartment complex.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 07:51 PM
tape to tape

Quote:
Depends on the dog. I had a dog that was very good at catching and killing ground hogs and raccoons. He would grab the animals by the neck and shake them until their neck was broke. The problem was, once the dog knew we approved of him killing these animals, he couldn't make the distinction between other animals of the same size, namely cats.

Quote:
Absolutely ludicrous statement. The dog I previously described killed many cats. He was a well fed dog too. Many times I would have to crawl into the dogs hide out in the shrubs and take the dead cat away from him before he ate it.

tape to tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tape to tape View Post
Depends on the dog. I had a dog that was very good at catching and killing ground hogs and raccoons. He would grab the animals by the neck and shake them until their neck was broke. The problem was, once the dog knew we approved of him killing these animals, he couldn't make the distinction between other animals of the same size, namely cats.

Absolutely ludicrous statement. The dog I previously described killed many cats. He was a well fed dog too. Many times I would have to crawl into the dogs hide out in the shrubs and take the dead cat away from him before he ate it.
Like you just said it depends on the dog, what breed was it? Most do not have the speed or agility to catch a healthy cat, depending on the terrain of course, in an open field the dog would be more likely to catch it. It sounds like you had a pretty aggressive dog, most only chase cats and other animals for fun.

And like I said to the last poster, it's an exception rather than a rule. Not many dog owners can say their dog has killed a cat.

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 11-22-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old
11-22-2012, 08:11 PM
tape to tape

Quote:
Like you just said it depends on the dog, what breed was it? Most do not have the speed or agility to catch a healthy cat, depending on the terrain of course, in an open field the dog would be more likely to catch it. It sounds like you had a pretty aggressive dog, most only chase cats and other animals for fun.
This dog was a mutt and we paid nothing for him. We never had him fixed either. Medium sized black dog with white feet, probably had some collie in him.

tape to tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

This bragging and arguing about dogs killing cats is just a little ridiculous and cliche.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 09:15 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
I think the same way about people who force their cats to sit inside all day.

Why bother having a cat if it doesn't have the freedom to roam as it sees fit? Keeping a cat inside keeps it lazy, socially unstable, and (from what I've seen) hard to control. A cat who's not completely mentally inept will live a very long life even as an outdoor cat. My current cat is close to 15, and has been free to go outside whenever it wants. I am not a terrible pet owner, and my cat is treated better than most cats out there. When it wants inside, it comes inside. When it wants outside, it goes outside. Not to mention my cat stays perfectly fit, rather than lots of the giant indoor cats you see due to lack of exercise.

That being said, I do live in a small town (6000ish people), so I can understand why people in the heart of down-town in a city could not want a cat to be outside, but in that scenario I would just not choose a cat as a pet. Cats are town/farm pets, not indoor/city pets.
I tend to agree, but considering the amount of cats kept in cages at shelters on any giving day that are a week or two from being put down, being able to give them a stable home even in a small apartment is a blessing. I would say:

Indoor/outdoor cat > barn cat > indoor cat > feral cat > shelter/dead cat.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote