HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How long did it take you?

Old
10-28-2012, 12:57 PM
ausername1

vCash: 500
How long did it take you?

About how long would you say it took for you to honestly become a decent skater? Not an amazing skater, but good enough to get the job done (transitions, decent backwards skating, etc.) and not embarrass yourself.
I guess I'm wondering because I doubt myself a lot and for many reasons I can't practice as much as I would like to. Just hope I'm not behind where I should be, haha.

ausername1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausername1 View Post
About how long would you say it took for you to honestly become a decent skater? Not an amazing skater, but good enough to get the job done (transitions, decent backwards skating, etc.) and not embarrass yourself.
I guess I'm wondering because I doubt myself a lot and for many reasons I can't practice as much as I would like to. Just hope I'm not behind where I should be, haha.
I went about once a week to open skate for about 4 months and really tried to practice things, not just skate around. Between that and a 10 week Beginners hockey class that started around month three, i felt quite comfortable. Some things still cause me trouble of course, but i don't feel like i'm embarrassing myself.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Ozz

Don't get too hard on yourself. Whatever your specific weakness is, focus on that and do not shy away.

Me, I literally hit the ice the first time when I was 8 and took off flying. Skating backwards with ease came sometime later when I started playing and was instructed accordingly. A year or so later I was in a pro hockey school and gained better skills and techniques yet.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 03:19 PM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Not long at all, but I started as a kid. Everyone is different, just takes time and work.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 07:21 PM
CanucksSayEh

six months of twice a week public skating to feel comfortable at drop in.

CanucksSayEh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 07:34 PM
do0glas

I think I had a set of very fortunate circumstances.

Firstly I've played soccer/indoor soccer my whole life, so the conditioning was in place from day 1.

Secondly, I used to aggressive inline growing up. So just skating in roller blades has always been second nature.

The only thing I had to learn we're hockey stops, and I'm probably top 3 in speed on my team because of all that.

Move me up a league to silver A and it might be completely different.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Hank4Hart

honestly, wrap yourself top to bottom with bubble wrap so you aren't afraid to fall.

once you over come the fear of falling its easy peasy

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 08:44 PM
shello
@WShello9

I've only been skating/playing for 3 years (started at 14, never skated before), and now I'm the best on my team after not being able to skate even forward. But I've had a lot of luck playing at the very least once per week a year (summer time sometimes 3) and playing with various major junior players. This past summer I've really focused on my weakness which is my backwards skating since I've primarily focuses on my forward skating and what I was good at instead of my weaknesses. It's coming around, not as good as I want it to be, but I don't think it'll ever be as good as I'd like haha.

Last edited by shello: 10-28-2012 at 10:47 PM.
shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 08:45 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausername1 View Post
It depends what you consider a decent skater. I'd say it took two years of *skating* (basically from the first time I put on skates) before I felt comfortable playing a game of hockey. It took time to learn crossovers, basic backwards skating, etc etc.

In total I think it took eight years before I became a good skater who could do crossovers, tight turns, quick stops and starts, smooth transitions, etc etc.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 08:56 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I had the very basics of skating (basically, going around the rink in a circle) from childhood, but started skating with the goal of playing hockey as an adult, so it sounds like we are on a similar path.

It took probably 6 months from the first serious steps until I was no longer the worst player on the ice during low C-league games. BUT -- that was about 2 months after I started adult hockey lessons.

The lessons are key. Seriously. Don't waste your money doing laps at the rink unless you're also getting some kind of professional instruction. It's like trying to teach yourself anything else... it could literally take years to get "good", and you still won't have strong fundamentals. A few weeks of lessons and you'll build your confidence and skill set to a better level than spending a year trying to learn it yourself.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 10:28 PM
rp2323

started skating outdoors in January of this year. Before that i was just capable of skating circles and snow plow style stops. Had only skated maybe 3 times in the prior 15 years!

Now with about 3 hours per week outdoors in Dec - Feb, about 25 powerskating sessions, and 7 games, I'd call myself a competent beginner. Much more competent than where i'd have guessed where i'd be at 9 months in

in entry level beer league i can get up and down the ice relatively quickly, stay in position on the wing and cover my man, and have chipped in with a a hand full of points.

I doubt I be anywhere near where i am with out organized powerskating / hockey skills sessions. the basics come naturally with time but the small skills and pointers on skating, shooting passing, stick handling etc... are invaluable.

Take an organized class and get out there.

rp2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 06:19 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

What do you do in power skating classes? I have been meaning to start going to those. It's mostly kids with a handful of adults at the classes, I've been told.

The rinks site says its not a learn to skate class, the rink manager said I'd be fine at the classes, but it really depends upon how well they expect me to do things.

I'm pretty good on going counterclockwise...three years of short track taught me to turn left and stop that way really well. Going the other direction, backwards, tight turns...not so much. I know I'm getting better but I also know I could get better faster with some more serious guidance.

Also, there are lots of things I can get during drills, but then during games it all goes out the window. I assume that a lot of it is muscle memory, and once I stop having to think about certain things, they'll be natural enough that I do them in games.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 06:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I played as a kid so I could skate forwards, backwards, and balance fairly well as an adult, but it took many months to learn enough to be okay in games. Skating lessons (group) helped a ton.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Propane Nightmares
Sinister Rouge

I'd say about 6 months of public skating twice a week, though I didn't start playing hockey until after longer than a year

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Now that I've had some coffee...

I started out able to skate forwards and backwards after a 10-year layoff (wasn't ever any good as a kid). I could kind of stop on one side, not very well.

It took maybe 5-6 skates before I could stop on both sides and get more comfortable.

Probably 10-15 skates before I was comfortable doing forward crossovers.

After maybe 30-40 skates I took some skating classes and that helped out with backwards crossovers, turns, transitions, etc.

After six years, I pretty much feel like I'm an okay skater, but not that great. I lack speed and am not always confident with my edges. I can't take tight power turns and usually avoid backwards crossovers in game situations. I really don't get much opportunity to practice anymore...

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Suddenly7

I been skating since I was five. When I finally got back into hockey after a 8 year break. It took a good year to get back. You really just need to practice and get use to switching back and forth when you play pick up and in games.

Suddenly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 06:35 AM
Kulluminati

I can't remember exactly but I began taking skating lessons when I was 5 and began playing organized hockey when I was 8 or so, therefore I can't tell you exactly how long it took me since I was a child.

But, I have a couple friends who took up skating as adults and it took them about a year to become 'decent'. I would say it depends on your drive, one of my buddies was lazy and only made an effort to go to fun skates like once every two weeks, he's still a pretty bad skater. The other friend took two adult skating classes and went to fun skate with his girlfriend once a week and he is now a pretty decent skater, he still doesn't look 100% natural but he's having fun playing in a D level rec league.

One thing I want to add is don't be embarrassed if you're not coming along as fast as you thought you would, skating is like learning to walk all over again... it comes natural to no one, especially as an adult. No one steps onto the ice for the first time, and then within a year, is cutting the ice up like Marian Gaborik lol. Embarrassment can hold you back a lot, don't be shy to enroll in a adult skating class, they help teach you new ways to improve and drills that you can practice on your own time (if you happen to be someone who is willing to go to fun skates) and you can make huge improvements and become a much better skater MUCH faster. I don't know how good or bad you are right now, but once you think you got the handle on skating, go to some stick and pucks and just practice everything you learned except with a hockey stick and a puck. Good luck, and cheers!

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

vCash: 270
I wasn't a decent skater until Midget first year, and I started in Peewee. So, like 4-5 years of playing hockey until I wasn't a bad skater.

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 12:10 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminati View Post
One thing I want to add is don't be embarrassed if you're not coming along as fast as you thought you would, skating is like learning to walk all over again... Embarrassment can hold you back a lot...
That's absolutely true and I hope the total-newbies here take it to heart.

It takes courage to start skating as an adult. You are going to be obviously, visibly bad at it for a while. Kids get a free pass for being wobbly and falling down all over the place, whereas adults need to have enough self-confidence and personal security to know that nobody's really judging them because everyone in the rink understands how hard it is to learn.

The upside is that you really do get a lot of respect from experienced players if you stick with it. Again, it takes a lot of courage to get out there and make the necessary mistakes and keep showing up and improving.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Probably about 6 months or so of Lessons, went from Grade 1 (The very basics) to Grade 10 (Fancy Figure Skating crap, obviously adjusted cos I had Hockey Skates).

I like to think I'm alright at skating, got a good hustle when I need to... My weakness I'd say is maneuvers based off my left skate, so crossovers to the right and stopping on my left... Although I'm more comfortable doing it with a stick, purely for the sake of it being something to lean on...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Me, I literally hit the ice the first time when I was 8 and took off flying.
I'm kind of the same way, skating has always just come naturally to me. I'm not a great skater because I only started skating regularly (on ice) at around age 28, but I never had to struggle the way some other beginners did at that age. I guess those few trips to the ice rink as a kid really paid off.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:16 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Took me about 1-2 years. First year I played hockey on average about 3-4 times a week, so I picked up the natural movements quickly. But I didn't learn how to skate backwards well until after the 1st year. I remember how bad I was. Never saw video of myself back then, but I can only imagine how god awful I must have looked when I was skating. My dad took some video of me during my league game and I noticed I am a very adept skater now. Not necessarily the fast, but very fluid, patient, and agile. Those are 3 words I'd never thought I'd be able to use for myself when I first started playing 6 years ago.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:51 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Miss Misery

vCash: 100
Probably about a couple years after starting the sport at age 16.

Since I started at that age I'm basically an adult rec player at best and have never worked hard on transitions and such, so even 11+ years later I still occasionally lose an edge or lose my balance completely and go flying and can't stop left foot forward unless I'm at low speed, but I'm confident enough in my abilities.

Primrose Everdeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Oh_so_saad

i saw hockey on tv when i was 4. I said dad i wanna play that. He bought me rollerblades within a week i was skating around stickhandling a tennis ball with a broom. I would say by the age of 6 i was a strong skater for a kid my age. i then took powerskating lessons for about 7 years. I am now 25 and when i play d-1 mens hockey the skaters are equal and i have to play a sound game. if i shandbag in the lower divisions i can skate circles around people literally end to end

Oh_so_saad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 05:37 AM
AussieFlyersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
Probably about 6 months or so of Lessons, went from Grade 1 (The very basics) to Grade 10 (Fancy Figure Skating crap, obviously adjusted cos I had Hockey Skates).

I like to think I'm alright at skating, got a good hustle when I need to... My weakness I'd say is maneuvers based off my left skate, so crossovers to the right and stopping on my left...
I would say I'm the same, Literally put on my first pair of skates about six months ago. Taking lesson and skating on average 3 times a week I'm now in one of the advanced hockey classes at my local rink. My left (clockwise) still sucks though, and still have a long way to go but I'm pleased with my progress thus far.

AussieFlyersFan is offline   Reply With Quote