HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Madness the 7th: Jose Reyes edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Estimated_Prophet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Looking through some splits - Lind hit best with people in scoring position. I wonder if having him act as a "second" Bautista would be best. With RISP, Lind's OPS was well over 1.000.

Reyes
Cabrera
Bautista
Edwin
Lawrie
Rasmus
Lind
Arencibia
Bonifacio
I don't think that order works very well with 3 consecutive RH hitters followed by consecutive LH hitters. Lawrie and Rasmus should split the #2 spot depending on the oppositions starter. It puts two very talented young guys in a situation to succeed where they will see a higher ratio of fasballs behind Reyes and in front of Cabrera.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:22 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Looking through some splits - Lind hit best with people in scoring position. I wonder if having him act as a "second" Bautista would be best. With RISP, Lind's OPS was well over 1.000.

Reyes
Cabrera
Bautista
Edwin
Lawrie
Rasmus
Lind
Arencibia
Bonifacio
Lot of RHB in a row there

Old
11-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I hope we fill the #5 spot via free agency or trade. Adding a lefty bat with power could be very beneficial to the offense.

I want to see:

1. Reyes
2. Cabrera
3. Bautista
4. Encarnacion
5. Morneau
6. Lawrie
7. Rasmus
8. Arencibia
9. Izturis

With a bench of Buck, Bonifacio, Davis.
Morneau isn't much better than Lind anymore and what is your plan to dump Lind's unmoveable contract?

Old
11-25-2012, 04:25 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

or......

reyes
cabrera
bautista
encarnacion
morneau / lind whatever
bonifacio
lawrie

rasmus
arencebia

so you got leadoff type guys setting up rasmus arencebia's power

Old
11-25-2012, 04:26 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
I hope we fill the #5 spot via free agency or trade. Adding a lefty bat with power could be very beneficial to the offense.

I want to see:

1. Reyes
2. Cabrera
3. Bautista
4. Encarnacion
5. Morneau
6. Lawrie
7. Rasmus
8. Arencibia
9. Izturis

What do you intend to do with Lind? The guy no one wanted for free last year.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:29 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
or......

reyes
cabrera
bautista
encarnacion
morneau / lind whatever
bonifacio
lawrie

rasmus
arencebia

so you got leadoff type guys setting up rasmus arencebia's power
This fascination with a "rollover" lineup is silly. It doesn't happen and won't happen because it is foolish.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:32 PM
calcal798

Quote:

I want to see:

1. Reyes
2. Cabrera
3. Bautista
4. Encarnacion
5. Morneau
6. Lawrie
7. Rasmus
8. Arencibia
9. Izturis

I think Bonifacio will be starting at 2nd.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:34 PM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:

I want to see:

1. Reyes
2. Cabrera
3. Bautista
4. Encarnacion
5. Morneau
6. Lawrie
7. Rasmus
8. Arencibia
9. Izturis

That line up is just filthy lol I would start Bonifacio though and don't want Morneau but I'd like to see:

SS - JOSE REYES
LF - MELKY CABRERA
RF - JOSE BAUTISTA
1B - EDWIN ENCARNACION
DH - ANYONE
3B - BRETT LAWRIE
CF - COLBY RASMUS
C - TRAVIS D’ARNAUD
2B - EMILIO BONIFACIO

Batting leadoff is the best lead off hitter in the game, batting 2nd is a guy who can come back and win a batting title, batting third is the best power hitter in the game, batting 4th is one of the best clean up hitters in the game, Batting 6th is one of the most exciting young players in the game with huge potential to break out, batting 7th is Colby freakin Rasmus, batting 8th is the best catching prospect in baseball, batting 9th is the fastest player in the MLB. LOL. Unreal.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:36 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Morneau isn't much better than Lind anymore and what is your plan to dump Lind's unmoveable contract?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
What do you intend to do with Lind? The guy no one wanted for free last year.
Taking on Morneau as a salary dump for Lind + a prospect may be able to get it done. The Twins apparently want to move him to open up first base for Mauer so taking on Lind would give them a DH at less than half the cost of Morneau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
I've never seen Bonifacio play, but apparently his defense isn't very good. Plus, didn't AA guarantee Izturis starting time or something?

Old
11-25-2012, 04:39 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

its pot luck if the rollover lineup comes into effect
if bonifacio or lawrie lead off an inning it could work........

Old
11-25-2012, 04:40 PM
shaner89

What an amazing job as has done

Not only do we have a ridic lineup, we have an a,axing starting rotation, and above average pen.

Is it April yet

Old
11-25-2012, 04:45 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

they talk about cabrera maybe sucking without steroids
but they dont talk about him maybe hitting 20+ homers in hitter friendly parks as opposed to kc or sf

Last edited by p.l.f.: 11-25-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old
11-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Izturis was signed to play 2nd. He will see the majority of the playing time and Bonifacio will bounce around the lineup as a utility player. Izturis is a much better defender and will be fine as the #9 hitter.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:50 PM
calcal798

Quote:
I've never seen Bonifacio play, but apparently his defense isn't very good. Plus, didn't AA guarantee Izturis starting time or something?
Well hes got a good bat, and he was playing 2B in Miami. I feel like a guy that had to be included in the Miami deal would definitely be starting somewhere.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
they talk about cabrera maybe sucking without steroids
but they dont talk about him maybe hitting 20+ homers in hitter friendly parks as opposed to kc or sj
I made this point in an earlier post. Cabrera has spent his entire career in pitcher friendly parks and is still young. It isn't like his production spiked in his early to mid 30's. He was expected to be this type of player when he first came up in N.Y. and is right on track when you look at his age and improving #'s. He wasn't doing steroids either people, he was using testosterone which is still in violation of the drug policy but it doesn't have the same dramatic effect of anabolic steroids.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:52 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Izturis was signed to play 2nd. He will see the majority of the playing time and Bonifacio will bounce around the lineup as a utility player. Izturis is a much better defender and will be fine as the #9 hitter.
So ur saying the guy that AA would not have done the deal without will be a utility player?

I guess I am missing something.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:57 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Well hes got a good bat, and he was playing 2B in Miami. I feel like a guy that had to be included in the Miami deal would definitely be starting somewhere.
Izturis has a better career avg and is a good fielder. He may not be the sexy option, but he's a more proven player.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:58 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
I made this point in an earlier post. Cabrera has spent his entire career in pitcher friendly parks and is still young. It isn't like his production spiked in his early to mid 30's. He was expected to be this type of player when he first came up in N.Y. and is right on track when you look at his age and improving #'s. He wasn't doing steroids either people, he was using testosterone which is still in violation of the drug policy but it doesn't have the same dramatic effect of anabolic steroids.
Testosterone is a steroid hormone from the androgen group and is found in mammals, reptiles,[1] birds,[2] and other vertebrates
n men, testosterone plays a key role in the development of male reproductive tissues such as the testis and prostate as well as promoting secondary sexual characteristics such as increased muscle, bone mass, and the growth of body hair.[3] In addition, testosterone is essential for health and well-being[4] as well as the prevention of osteoporosis.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
So ur saying the guy that AA would not have done the deal without will be a utility player?

How does the Kool- Aid taste?

Izturis will start the year as the primary 2nd baseman but Bonifacio will see a fair amount of playing time there as well as in the outfield and possibly at DH.

Old
11-25-2012, 05:01 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Testosterone is a steroid hormone from the androgen group and is found in mammals, reptiles,[1] birds,[2] and other vertebrates
n men, testosterone plays a key role in the development of male reproductive tissues such as the testis and prostate as well as promoting secondary sexual characteristics such as increased muscle, bone mass, and the growth of body hair.[3] In addition, testosterone is essential for health and well-being[4] as well as the prevention of osteoporosis.
I am not debating the advantages of using Testosterone but I know enough people who have used traditional anabolic steroids and Testosterone......there is a significant difference in their respective results.

Old
11-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Paladin2799

I still think Morneau would be a fantastic pickup for the jays.

Clutch veteran bat. If we take him out of the field and just let him focus on being a competant bat in our #5 slot he could be the best pickup we got.

Lind+Buck for Morneau.

Old
11-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
Batting leadoff is the best lead off hitter in the game.
Trout
Bourn
Reyes
Kinsler
Jackson/Gordon

That's at least how I'd put it. Still though, he's one of the most premier players in all of baseball.

Old
11-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:

Can't remember if it was AA directly or Loria who said it (or both) but the trade was a no go if the Marlins didn't include Bonifacio.

Old
11-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 50
Quote:
How does the Kool- Aid taste?

Izturis will start the year as the primary 2nd baseman but Bonifacio will see a fair amount of playing time there as well as in the outfield and possibly at DH.
Why are you being objective on a subject that does not have a definitive answer?

Izturis has more than 1500 innings as a shortstop, nearly 2000 innings as a second baseman, and more than 2000 innings as a third baseman.

That screams super utility player.

And his numbers last season weren't very good: 287 wOBA, while hitting two home runs and slugging .315.

I also find it hard to see AA granting a player a starting role when he wasn't even a starter on his former team.

Bonifacio so far in his career has been versatile (not to the extent of Izturis), but is much more dynamic. His career numbers indicate he is the better baseball player, as well. Izturis has the advantage defensively, but there is nothing to suggest that he cannot replace Bonifacio later on in the game as a defensive replacement. Many teams do this if they have a lead.

Anyway, while people are debating about which one will be in the line-up, there's a very good chance both will be in the line-up at the same time given how versatile they are. Players will need off-days, injuries will inevitably happen, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin2799 View Post
I still think Morneau would be a fantastic pickup for the jays.

Clutch veteran bat. If we take him out of the field and just let him focus on being a competant bat in our #5 slot he could be the best pickup we got.

Lind+Buck for Morneau.
Morneau isn't a very good baseball player anymore.

I would prefer Buck and Lind to him. If both fail to perform, then they are gone at the end of the season and that money can be utilized on an upgrade at 1B/DH, or to use some money on Josh Johnson. If the Jays were to acquire Morneau, they'd have to lock into his contract the next year, regardless of how he performs. This is not a smart risk at this time.

Old
11-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Can't remember if it was AA directly or Loria who said it (or both) but the trade was a no go if the Marlins didn't include Bonifacio.
They wanted Mathis, AA wanted Boni.

Closed Thread