HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Offseason Madness the 7th: Jose Reyes edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2012, 12:26 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
While I haven't had the time to assemble the kind of mega-thread that I had in last year's off-season, I have kicked around putting together a season retrospective and awards thread for us. But then there was that whole silly little trade that Anthopoulos pulled with the Marlins that kind of sidetracked that.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
11-27-2012, 01:44 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

So.........is it April yet?

Old
11-27-2012, 01:58 AM
KingTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
So.........is it April yet?
So sick, Im beyond pumped for the season but it's soooo far away

Old
11-27-2012, 02:29 AM
Paladin2799

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
For the Marlins it's never been a fantasy sports lineup-shuffling mentality. Its been that every few years they try to go for it by amassing a bunch of name players, then after a couple of years (and twice so far a WS win) they turn around and say they can no longer justify spending that kind of money and they burn the roster to the ground. Rinse and repeat.
Not only that but for the smaller market teams it is very similar to playing in a cap environment. You cant just throw money at people, you need to get people on their entry level deals in order to get the best production for them at the best dollar. The marlins have always been about that.

You simply cannot keep allstars on your roster when signing them to market rate will eat up 30-50% of your payroll for the entire team. The best move is to move them to someone who can pay that rate and pick up some top end prospects in order to keep your team performing and playing well.

The beckett/lowell for ramirez/sanchez trade is a great example of exactly what the marlins have been trying to do with these trades for years. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. They trade players who are due for a raise that they cannot feasibly expect to pay, and hope to recoup a couple great young players that can play well for cheap. It is almost as if people have never played a MLB management game where they arnt the redsox or the yankees. I have to make trades like this all the time when playing as the bluejays as well.

I dont know why the marlins went on that big spending spree, but its clear that they have gone back to their old ways. *shrugs*

Old
11-27-2012, 04:00 AM
KingTY

Oliver was on XM radio yesterday, still hasnt decided yet. It depends on his wife and kids, family's situation. AA's been texting him quite often.

Funny, Oliver said "if there was room for him" - no sorry Cordero is coming back lol

Old
11-27-2012, 07:19 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

So....?
Quote:
Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that the Royals have had discussions about trading top prospect Wil Myers for either James Shields or Jon Lester.

11-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
This Coaching Staff has AA's finger prints all over it, Gibbons is just a talking head for the Company Line, and it's so obvious this Coaching staff was put together by A.A.

Can any one tell me when a bunch of Big Contracts for Propects has ever worked, the latest being the Dodgers who added big time at the Deadline and fell off the Cliff.
It worked masterfully in the NHL this past year. LA trades Schenn and Simmonds for M.Richards and then trades J.Johnson and a 1st for J.Carter.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:11 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
So....?
I'd actually want to see that happen. The Red Sox rotation looks pretty terrible right now, and without Lester they'd be in big trouble.

Of course they could go out and sign Sanchez, Jackson etc... but even still. Myers looks like he's going to be pretty solid, but from our perspective I like it.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:24 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
It worked masterfully in the NHL this past year. LA trades Schenn and Simmonds for M.Richards and then trades J.Johnson and a 1st for J.Carter.
In a cap system, no less.

Thing is, there is rarely a trade with this many guys involved. It has only happened like 5 times (despite free bird saying he has seen them many times) and prospects in baseball aren't like prospects in hockey. It is much harder to judge how they will be and we kept all of our top prospects.

We came out the clear winners and money means nothing to us, the fans. Free agents don't go to a losing team and the only way to bring them in is to win. This trade opens up the doors to possibly spend next winter with a good season.

You mine as well add Cabrera to the list of guys traded here in that deal. The money sent to us allowed us to sign him. So that trade did that for us, as well.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Scion

I have no idea why Kansas City would trade an inexpensive top hitting prospect with years of controllability for two years of James Shields, or a declining Jon Lester. It makes absolutely no sense, but such is the Dayton Moore way it seems.

Last edited by Scion: 11-27-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old
11-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
I'd actually want to see that happen. The Red Sox rotation looks pretty terrible right now, and without Lester they'd be in big trouble.

Of course they could go out and sign Sanchez, Jackson etc... but even still. Myers looks like he's going to be pretty solid, but from our perspective I like it.
The Red Sox are in trouble short term regardless, but adding Wil Myers would set them up beautifully moving forward. Myers projects to be a 30 HR bat with good contact, and on base skills for the next decade. He is as good a hitting prospect as there is in the minor leagues presently.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:47 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
I have no idea why Kansas City would trade an inexpensive top 2 hitting prospect with years of controllability for two years of James Shields, or a declining Jon Lester. It makes absolutely no sense, but such is the Dayton Moore way it seems.
Either way I'd rather the prospect stay in KC.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:50 AM
mapes

Quote:
I have no idea why Kansas City would trade an inexpensive top 2 hitting prospect with years of controllability for two years of James Shields, or a declining Jon Lester. It makes absolutely no sense, but such is the Dayton Moore way it seems.
Kansas needs to continue building within. They were doing a great job.

Not sure why Tampa would do it either TBH. Red Sox are terrible right now, Yanks are on the downtrend and Orioles, who knows. Jays are on the upswing but the powerhouses of the division are changing. Rays have a team that can win and be a contender for a playoff spot. Dealing one of their top pitchers.. I duno, especially for an unknown (his minor league stats are great but you never know). Now might not be the time to do it. Tampa can win by their pitching alone.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:52 AM
Scion

Quote:
Andy Pettitte is close to formally announcing he's going to pitch again in 2013, ESPN.com's Buster Olney reports. Furthermore, the free agent left-hander is close to finishing a new contract with the Yankees, according to Olney. The deal is expected to be worth a bit more than $10MM, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter). Joel Sherman of the New York Post suggests the deal will likely be for $10-11MM (Twitter link).

Pettitte, who is now represented by Excel Sports Management, pitched well in 12 regular season starts this past season before making two quality starts in the postseason. He posted a 2.87 ERA with 8.2 K/9, 2.5 BB/9 and a 56.3% ground ball rate in 75 1/3 regular season innings in 2012, while earning $2.5MM.

If the Yankees complete a deal with Pettitte, their rotation will look considerably stronger than it did earlier in the month. They have also signed Hiroki Kuroda, who joins C.C. Sabathia, Phil Hughes and Ivan Nova in the team's rotation. David Phelps and even Michael Pineda could also contribute as starters.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...Ybm6MeAO0xl.99

Quote:
The Yankees are optimistic about completing a deal for Mariano Rivera this week, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports (on Twitter). The free agent reliever would likely earn more than Andy Pettitte, who is expected to return on a one-year deal worth $10-11MM. Joel Sherman of the New York Post and Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com also say the Yankees are optimistic about signing their longtime closer this week (Twitter links).

Rivera, who turns 43 this week, appeared in just nine games before tearing his ACL in May. He considered retirement after his two-year, $30MM contract expired before deciding to return. Rivera, the all-time leader in saves, has remained effective beyond his 40th birthday. He posted a 1.87 ERA with 7.8 K/9 and 1.5 BB/9 from 2010-12, his age 40, 41 and 42 seasons. Rivera is an SFX client.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#YyeuXEkZgs652Bca.99

Old
11-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Kansas needs to continue building within. They were doing a great job.

Not sure why Tampa would do it either TBH. Red Sox are terrible right now, Yanks are on the downtrend and Orioles, who knows. Jays are on the upswing but the powerhouses of the division are changing. Rays have a team that can win and be a contender for a playoff spot.
I think it makes a great deal of sense for Tampa Bay, they desperately need offensive assistance, and James Shields is likely out of their payroll range once he hits FA. Wil Myers by comparison is inexpensive and controllable for the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Dealing one of their top pitchers.. I duno, especially for an unknown (his minor league stats are great but you never know). Now might not be the time to do it. Tampa can win by their pitching alone.
The upside, and potential surplus value Myers provides mitigates that risk.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Either way I'd rather the prospect stay in KC.
Likewise.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:00 AM
pavelbure604

Hey, how rich is the Blue Jays owner in comparison with the rest of the league? Could they be a heavy spender like the Yankees, Dodgers, etc?

Old
11-27-2012, 09:00 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

It's no joke how old the yankees are.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:05 AM
Dwight K Schrute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelbure604 View Post
Hey, how rich is the Blue Jays owner in comparison with the rest of the league? Could they be a heavy spender like the Yankees, Dodgers, etc?
let's put it this way... if they wanted to spend 1billion annually on the roster they could. I don't really know much about them beyond that. Some company named rogers or something.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Who were the coaches last time gibbons managed the jays? Was gibbons hired mid season and thus inherited the coaches whIch were already in place?

Now he got to choose his own somewhat?

Thanks
Last time he inherited his staff, since he was named manager mid-season. This time around, by his own words, he picked the staff himself. The only spot that's left, bullpen coach, he's leaving largely to Pete Walker so that Walker can have a good relationship with the guy rather than forcing some random guy on him who may not work so well.

Also, did anyone read the MLBTR chat yesterday? It was on the AL East, so there's a lot of solid points about the Jays in there. One thing that caught my eye was the possibility of Lincecum being a target for our rotation. I'd be interested depending on the price and how much $$ SF would eat, because he's not a $20M pitcher anymore IMO.

Here's the link: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...t-al-east.html

Old
11-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelbure604 View Post
They could outspend both those teams, probably combined. However, they don't want to waste money on overpaid players that won't take them to the top, so there's always been the "when you find a good fit, the money will be there" type agreement, and it seems like it was true.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:28 AM
The Man in White

vCash: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
let's put it this way... if they wanted to spend 1billion annually on the roster they could. I don't really know much about them beyond that. Some company named rogers or something.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity_concept

Old
11-27-2012, 09:38 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
I have no idea why Kansas City would trade an inexpensive top hitting prospect with years of controllability for two years of James Shields, or a declining Jon Lester. It makes absolutely no sense, but such is the Dayton Moore way it seems.
I wouldn't do it for Lester but James Shields, maybe... if you feel like you could re-sign after those years. He's been incredibly durable over his career as well.

Personally, if I were the Royals, I would try trading Billy Butler for pitching instead. His value will likely never be higher, Tampa needs a 1B/DH and maybe you try to see if you can get James Shields off their hands.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
Scott Feldman is on the verge of signing a one-year deal with the Chicago Cubs.http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...eldmsc01.shtml

That's too bad. I kinda wanted the Jays to get him to be some extra depth and fill that CV role.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:42 AM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
I wouldn't do it for Lester but James Shields, maybe... if you feel like you could re-sign after those years. He's been incredibly durable over his career as well.

Personally, if I were the Royals, I would try trading Billy Butler for pitching instead. His value will likely never be higher, Tampa needs a 1B/DH and maybe you try to see if you can get James Shields off their hands.
well butler can play DH at least...cannot play 1b for any extended period of time.

he bad. real bad.

Closed Thread