HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Offseason Madness the 7th: Jose Reyes edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2012, 06:30 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Pedrioa is awesome. HE stirs the drink in BOS. Wasn't he AL MVP 2 years ago?

Edit: Just googled him. HIs carreer is even more impressive than I remembered. MVP was in '08.
Not to take away from Pedroia, because he's still very useful player and most teams would love to have him, but that was a pretty iffy MVP selection. I believe it was a down year in general in terms of there being a single standout player in the AL, but Joe Mauer probably should've gotten the nod over Pedroia.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
11-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Someone correct me if I'm wrong anywhere here.

From what I can tell, the team has 2-4 roster spots to fill, most likely all bench players (one middle infielder and probably a utility guy), for the 25-man roster. This is the roster I see us starting with otherwise:

Lineup:
Jose Reyes SS
Melky Cabrera LF/RF
Jose Bautista RF
Edwin Encarnacion DH/1B/3B ( @ 3B )
Brett Lawrie 3B
Colby Rasmus CF/LF
Emilio Bonifacio 2B/3B/SS/OF
Adam Lind 1B
J.P. Arencibia C

Bench:
John Buck C
Rajai Davis LF

Other:
Maicer Izturis 2B/SS/3B (I heard a few people state Izturis might start in Buffalo?)
David Cooper 1B (Almost certain to start in the minors from what I've read)
Anthony Gose CF/RF (Could he start in the minors, too?)
Travis d'Arnaud C/1B (Likely to get the Lawrie treatment - AAA until July/August?)

Starting Rotation
Mark Buehrle SP
Brandon Morrow SP
Josh Johnson SP
Ricky Romero SP
J.A. Happ SP/RP

Bullpen
Sergio Santos RP/CP
Darren Oliver RP
Casey Janssen CP/RP
Brett Cecil RP/SP (is Cecil likely to ever start another game?)
Esmil Rogers RP

One of the following 3 will probably get the last bullpen spot barring any more signings:
Joel Correno RP
Steve Delabar RP
Aaron Loup RP

If Gose, Cooper and Izturis all start the season in the minors, then that's 22 players on the team and only 2 bench players including Buck. I'd imagine Gose will get a roster spot to start the season, though that's just my personal ignorant opinion, as I'm unaware of the general consensus on that likelihood from the experts/insiders, and I still find it hard to believe we'd put Izturis in the minors, so perhaps just a singular additional pitcher/bench signing would do it.

Is any of this accurate? Is there anyone I haven't listed here that has a reasonable chance at a roster spot that's already in the system? Might we go with a 12-man bullpen regardless?

Old
11-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Not to take away from Pedroia, because he's still very useful player and most teams would love to have him, but that was a pretty iffy MVP selection. I believe it was a down year in general in terms of there being a single standout player in the AL, but Joe Mauer probably should've gotten the nod over Pedroia.
Fair. I'll always take Pedroia's complete game and deep set of intangibles at a shallow position like 2B any day, but on a strict single-season performance basis, Mauer should have been right there.

And yeah, while Wright (who said Murphy??) is great depth to have, pitching's too important. I think I have to hope Hamels can put together another strong year, and take of 3/4 of my infield and my top two starters that way.

I'll still have my work cut out for me in addressing the outfield and a third starter in the first few rounds, but there should depth to work from with these positions covered off.

Old
11-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Eyedea
96 from the left

vCash: 350
Maicer Izturis won't be in Buffalo, his half(?) brother will.

Delabar will be in the bullpen, and you also forgot Brad Lincoln.

Old
11-27-2012, 06:46 PM
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone

Quote:
Kind of had that Spud Webb winning the slam dunk contest feel.

I think his size has endeared him to many people.

Old
11-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Maicer Izturis won't be in Buffalo, his half(?) brother will.
Oh. Julio Izturis. I see now why I was confused.

Quote:
Delabar will be in the bullpen, and you also forgot Brad Lincoln.
Hmm. I suppose I did, though I thought it was almost a certainty that Lincoln would being starting at AAA for the whole year. Does that mean it's likely they'll go with a 12-man bullpen?

Old
11-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Eyedea
96 from the left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
Hmm. I suppose I did, though I thought it was almost a certainty that Lincoln would being starting at AAA for the whole year.
Don't know if he has any options, but what made you think that?

He's much more suitable in the pen, and even though he has had trouble (in his small tenure) with the Jays he'd still be a good option for a middle relief role.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:02 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Oh. Julio Izturis. I see now why I was confused.

Hmm. I suppose I did, though I thought it was almost a certainty that Lincoln would being starting at AAA for the whole year. Does that mean it's likely they'll go with a 12-man bullpen?
Cesar Izturis whom the Jays just signed.

And no Lincoln won't be in AAA. I doubt we go with a 12-man bullpen... Santos may not be ready to start the season, pre-season injuries etc. should help sort out the over abundance

Old
11-27-2012, 07:03 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Kind of had that Spud Webb winning the slam dunk contest feel.

I think his size has endeared him to many people.
Not as much as David Eckstein though Eckstein built the entire back half of his career out of that flukey World Series MVP and the fact that being a 4'11 albino hobbit who throws like a 10 year old and chokes up on the bat as if he's in his first year of tee-ball gives baseball people the warm fuzzies the same way normal people react to kittens.

Quote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong anywhere here....
*snip for space*
The expected roster right now looks like:

Rotation
1) Johnson
2) Morrow
3) Buehrle
4) Romero
5) Happ

Bullpen (presuming Oliver returns and Loup is odd man out because he has options.)
LH Cecil
RH Lincoln
LH Oliver
RH Rogers
RH Delabar
RH Janssen
RH Santos

Lineup
SS Reyes
LF Cabrera
RF Bautista
1B/DH Encarnacion
3B Lawrie
CF Rasmus
DH/1B ??? (Lind right now, I guess)
2B Izturis
C Arencibia

Bench
C Buck
LF/2B/SS/3B Bonifacio
OF Davis
???

So really there are two slots that are really necessary to be addressed. One is what is to be done with teh 1B/DH situation. Does Encarnacion play 1st or DH? And who takes the other spot? Buck? Lind? d'Arnaud? Someone from outside?

The second is that last bench spot (if I did the math right, that should be a 25-man roster above, including the 2 "???" spots). Chances are it goes to another infielder so that Bonifacio has the flexibility to be deployed as an IF or OF without concern that having him play in the outfield leaves teh bench without someone else to be the the IF backup. Internally there's not a lot of options for that right now, except maybe Ryan Goins, who they made room for on the 40-man just recently. Or maybe they decide to use Bonifacio as mostly a utility IF and pinch runner and keep Cooper or Sierra on the bench as emergency bats. Or maybe they sign someone else or make another trade.

Really it's all up in the air right now.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:04 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Cesar Izturis whom the Jays just signed.

And no Lincoln won't be in AAA. I doubt we go with a 12-man bullpen... Santos may not be ready to start the season, pre-season injuries etc. should help sort out the over abundance
Jays never signed Cesar. That was a media screw up. They singed Julio Izturis. I can't remember how he's related to the other two (IIRC two are full brothers and the 3rd is a half-brother, but I don't recall which is which.)

Old
11-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Jays never signed Cesar. That was a media screw up. They singed Julio Izturis. I can't remember how he's related to the other two (IIRC two are full brothers and the 3rd is a half-brother, but I don't recall which is which.)
Maicer Izturis*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maicer_Izturis

Old
11-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Eyedea
96 from the left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
No no no aside from the Maicer Izturis signing, they also signed his younger brother Julio to a minor league deal.

Too many Izturis', too confusing.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
Don't know if he has any options, but what made you think that?

He's much more suitable in the pen, and even though he has had trouble (in his small tenure) with the Jays he'd still be a good option for a middle relief role.
Mostly because he's been a constant starter at the minor league level, though I now see I misread his baseball-reference page and thought he was only entering his 5th pro season (ie: he's a young 27), and was still a developable "prospect". Now I see this will be his 7th full professional season, and he didn't play a single game one year (2007), so he's entering his 8th year since his first pro season.

Quote:
I was under the impression that Santos was already well on his way to being ready for spring training and thereby opening day. AFAIK, he's definitely going to return sometime early in the season, so that should still be a certain roster spot to be taken eventually. It seems like you're more likely to put a player who would spend most of the rest of the season in the minors on your roster for that period than sign a free agent to fill that spot.

Quote:
So really there are two slots that are really necessary to be addressed. One is what is to be done with teh 1B/DH situation. Does Encarnacion play 1st or DH? And who takes the other spot? Buck? Lind? d'Arnaud? Someone from outside?

The second is that last bench spot (if I did the math right, that should be a 25-man roster above, including the 2 "???" spots). Chances are it goes to another infielder so that Bonifacio has the flexibility to be deployed as an IF or OF without concern that having him play in the outfield leaves teh bench without someone else to be the the IF backup. Internally there's not a lot of options for that right now, except maybe Ryan Goins, who they made room for on the 40-man just recently. Or maybe they decide to use Bonifacio as mostly a utility IF and pinch runner and keep Cooper or Sierra on the bench as emergency bats. Or maybe they sign someone else or make another trade.

Interesting. I notice you didn't mention Gose at all. Does that mean my assumption that he's likely spend at least the start of the year in the minors was accurate? And since d'Arnaud was mentioned, that means they might consider playing him now instead of waiting for July/August to call him up like they did with Lawrie?

Quote:
Cesar is the half brother according to this.

Quote:
With the second installment of the Freeway Series set to begin on Friday, any hard feelings associated with the southland clash do not extend to a certain pair of brothers.

Angels infielder Maicer Izturis and his half-brother Cesar, who plays third base for the Dodgers, will take full advantage of the semi-annual meeting. With both teams having a rare coinciding day off, Cesar Izturis and his wife and son will drive down Thursday from Los Angeles to Maicer's home in Irvine to visit with his wife and daughter.
The last line of that article makes me wonder if Cesar, who is a free agent right now, might sign eventually, too.

Quote:
Being able to once again play on the same field as his half-brother, Maicer Izturis said he's been missing out on just one thing while playing baseball throughout his life.

"It would be great if someday we played on the same team," he said.

Last edited by Leafsdude7: 11-27-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old
11-27-2012, 07:22 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Not as much as David Eckstein though Eckstein built the entire back half of his career out of that flukey World Series MVP and the fact that being a 4'11 albino hobbit who throws like a 10 year old and chokes up on the bat as if he's in his first year of tee-ball gives baseball people the warm fuzzies the same way normal people react to kittens.

The expected roster right now looks like:

Rotation
1) Johnson
2) Morrow
3) Buehrle
4) Romero
5) Happ

Bullpen (presuming Oliver returns and Loup is odd man out because he has options.)
LH Cecil
RH Lincoln
LH Oliver
RH Rogers
RH Delabar
RH Janssen
RH Santos

Lineup
SS Reyes
LF Cabrera
RF Bautista
1B/DH Encarnacion
3B Lawrie
CF Rasmus
DH/1B ??? (Lind right now, I guess)
2B Izturis
C Arencibia

Bench
C Buck
LF/2B/SS/3B Bonifacio
OF Davis
???

There's no way they go righty, righty, lefty, lefty, lefty. Flip Romero and Morrow most likely.

I also think Lind should be strictly DH if we don't get another DH. He seems to perform better when he's not thinking about defensive responsibilities and Encarnacion did a fine job there.

Quote:
I never saw that... either way whichever Izturis it is won't be with the big club.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:23 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
haha this is confusing everybody

Old
11-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
No no no aside from the Maicer Izturis signing, they also signed his younger brother Julio to a minor league deal.

Too many Izturis', too confusing.
As per this article, I think we should start referring to the group of them "Izturii".

Quote:
In any event, all of this raises another urgent question, one worthy of the democratic process: "Izturises" or "Izturii"?
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...eball/21098565

Quote:
There's no way they go righty, righty, lefty, lefty, lefty. Flip Romero and Morrow most likely.
I disagree. Flip Johnson and Buehrle. I don't think Romero has any claim to pitch head of Morrow after last year, and I sure as hell would riot if Morrow was our 4th starter. Morrow and Buehrle should battle for the opening day start and Johnson and Romero should be battling for 3rd, with Johnson holding a slight advantage to start.

Quote:
I also think Lind should be strictly DH if we don't get another DH. He seems to perform better when he's not thinking about defensive responsibilities and Encarnacion did a fine job there.
I tend to agree. Encarnacion is a serviceable 1B and Lind has only played about a full season combined at that position, and has already gotten a couple injuries that appear to be related to playing 1B.

Quote:
I never saw that... either way whichever Izturis it is won't be with the big club.
It's definitely Julio.

Quote:
haha this is confusing everybody
Yahoo!, Google, Wikipedia, baseball-reference and a host of other sites still list Cesar Izturis as Jays property, not to mention many of the original articles are still up with notes at the top of them noting the error.

Clearly, as per normal, the media is enjoying misleading everyone here.

Last edited by Leafsdude7: 11-27-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old
11-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Interesting. I notice you didn't mention Gose at all. Does that mean my assumption that he's likely spend at least the start of the year in the minors was accurate? And since d'Arnaud was mentioned, that means they might consider playing him now instead of waiting for July/August to call him up like they did with Lawrie?
Barring a trade of at least one catcher, they'll have d'Arnaud start in Buffalo to get a lot of games in, then presumably bring him up mid-season after the point where it would burn a year of his pre-arbitration (however you explain it, I always get confused).

Gose meanwhile is expected to play a full season in AAA to work on his hit tool. The signing of Cabrera, and the availability of Davis and Bonifacio as depth in the outfield, along with Sierra as a call-up option, pretty much assured that Gose will stay in AAA unless he forced their hand with dominant play or another massive rash of injuries hits.

Edit: Gose will get another look-see next September. Imagine having him, Davis, Bonifacio and Reyes all available - that's just obscene team speed.

Last edited by Ohio Jones: 11-27-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old
11-27-2012, 07:42 PM
TieClark

The label #1, 2, 3 etc. for pitchers means absolutely nothing really. It's just the order of the rotation and you can be sure they'll rotate lefty/righty as much as they can. I think Johnson starts... he is the best pitcher on the roster when he has his stuff going and although I'd say Morrow may very well be #2 he'll be the 3rd in line in order to rotate the arms. Beurhle or Romero... either way for #2. TBH though I could even see Romero still starting on opening day... he had a horrible year but he also had a tremendous year 2 years ago and if we're going to win this year we'll need him in form.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:43 PM
weems

Quote:
As per this article, I think we should start referring to the group of them "Izturii".

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...eball/21098565

I disagree. Flip Johnson and Buehrle. I don't think Romero has any claim to pitch head of Morrow after last year, and I sure as hell would riot if Morrow was our 4th starter. Morrow and Buehrle should battle for the opening day start and Johnson and Romero should be battling for 3rd, with Johnson holding a slight advantage to start.

I tend to agree. Encarnacion is a serviceable 1B and Lind has only played about a full season combined at that position, and has already gotten a couple injuries that appear to be related to playing 1B.

It's definitely Julio.

Yahoo!, Google, Wikipedia, baseball-reference and a host of other sites still list Cesar Izturis as Jays property, not to mention many of the original articles are still up with notes at the top of them noting the error.

Clearly, as per normal, the media is enjoying misleading everyone here.
Why would Buerhle have more of a chance to be opening day starter then Johnson?

You do know that Josh Johnson is the better pitcher correct?

Old
11-27-2012, 07:50 PM
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone

Quote:
Coming hime the other night they were screwing around on the radio. Every 20min they would announce the signing of another Izturis.

We had a 7'4" Reliever Izturis Half-brother who could throw fire, but had a 15 pitch count limit.
Then we signed a 4'10" Catcher Izturis cousin who stole 78 bases on 80 tries in A ball.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
The label #1, 2, 3 etc. for pitchers means absolutely nothing really. It's just the order of the rotation and you can be sure they'll rotate lefty/righty as much as they can. I think Johnson starts... he is the best pitcher on the roster when he has his stuff going and although I'd say Morrow may very well be #2 he'll be the 3rd in line in order to rotate the arms. Beurhle or Romero... either way for #2. TBH though I could even see Romero still starting on opening day... he had a horrible year but he also had a tremendous year 2 years ago and if we're going to win this year we'll need him in form.
I disagree somewhat with the bolded. Being the 1st or 2nd starter can mean two or three more starts over a season compared to the 4th or 5th starter, depending on the moves around the all-star break and where you end up at the end of the season in the rotation. I suppose with the inevitable injuries, trades/slumps and whatever else it's arguable just how likely it is to factor in, but I'd still rather do whatever I can to make sure that, if they're healthy, you get your best pitchers into as many games as you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Why would Buerhle have more of a chance to be opening day starter then Johnson?

You do know that Josh Johnson is the better pitcher correct?
Let me preface this with the fact that I've never seen Johnson pitch. I'm going completely by numbers, and from what I see, Johnson is about equal to what Romero was the last 3 seasons before his blow-up last year. IMO (and no matter what you say, this is opinion. I can no more prove that Buehrle is "the better pitcher" than you can prove Johnson is), Buehrle is a more consistent pitcher and more experienced, which makes me want him, with an only slightly worse WHIP through his career, ahead of Johnson on the rotation.

All that said, I'd definitely take Morrow ahead of Buehrle today as our opening starter. He's got the stuff, and last year he showed the control to be a true ace. If you're going to go righty-lefty, I'd go Morrow-Buehrle-Johnson-Romero-Happ/whoever over Johnson-Romero-Buehrle-Morrow-Happ/whoever everytime, though I'd be happy with Buehrle-Morrow-Johnson-Romero-Happ/whoever, too.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:13 PM
TieClark

Quote:
I disagree somewhat with the bolded. Being the 1st or 2nd starter can mean two or three more starts over a season compared to the 4th or 5th starter, depending on the moves around the all-star break and where you end up at the end of the season in the rotation. I suppose with the inevitable injuries, trades/slumps and whatever else it's arguable just how likely it is to factor in, but I'd still rather do whatever I can to make sure that, if they're healthy, you get your best pitchers into as many games as you can.
162 divides into 32.4 so really only the 5th starter would be out a start if all 5 starters remained healthy all year. Add in inevitable injuries and what not and it really doesn't matter in the long run.

Quote:
Let me preface this with the fact that I've never seen Johnson pitch. I'm going completely by numbers, and from what I see, Johnson is about equal to what Romero was the last 3 seasons before his blow-up last year. IMO (and no matter what you say, this is opinion. I can no more prove that Buehrle is "the better pitcher" than you can prove Johnson is), Buehrle is a more consistent pitcher and more experienced, which makes me want him, with an only slightly worse WHIP through his career, ahead of Johnson on the rotation.

All that said, I'd definitely take Morrow ahead of Buehrle today as our opening starter. He's got the stuff, and last year he showed the control to be a true ace. If you're going to go righty-lefty, I'd go Morrow-Buehrle-Johnson-Romero-Happ/whoever over Johnson-Romero-Buehrle-Morrow-Happ/whoever everytime, though I'd be happy with Buehrle-Morrow-Johnson-Romero-Happ/whoever, too.
Johnson when on is one of the best pitchers in the league... like absolutely dominant stuff. Beurhle is an innings eater but he isn't better than Johnson, Morrow or 2 years ago Romero.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Eyedea
96 from the left

Quote:
There's nothing to suggest that RR is equal to JJ, especially through '09-'11.

For his career, JJ averages a whole (entire) earned run below Romero, and if you were to argue the conventional wisdom with Sabre stats, he still beats RR.

We're talking about a guy that was a concensus top 10 pitcher prior to his 2011 injury. His 2012 season was below par for his standards, so look for a breakout from him with the Jays.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:15 PM
weems

Quote:

Besides the fact that anyone that follows baseball closely or has watched the two guys pitch would agree Johnson is the better pitcher here is the two players respective WAR over the past 4 seasons.

-Josh Johnson 17.5 WAR (which ranks 12th overall amongst all MLB pitchers in that time period)

-Mark Buerhle 12.9 WAR (which ranks 28th overall amongst all MLB pitchers in that time period).

Josh Johnson is the better pitcher and has been the past 4 years or so and when you look deeper into the numbers besides just ERA and WHIP you'll see this.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:17 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Coming hime the other night they were screwing around on the radio. Every 20min they would announce the signing of another Izturis.

We had a 7'4" Reliever Izturis Half-brother who could throw fire, but had a 15 pitch count limit.
Then we signed a 4'10" Catcher Izturis cousin who stole 78 bases on 80 tries in A ball.

new FA strategy: see a guy you want the Jays to sign? Have his last name legally changed to Izturis. I can see it now.

Gibbons: "So Alex, there's a pitcher out there I really like and think we should sign."

Anthopoulos: "What's his name?"

Gibbons: "Brandon McCarthy."

Anthopoulos: "Meh. Pass."

Gibbons: "Oh...Ok. Well. There's this other guy I think has a lot of potntial for our rotation. His name is Brandon...uhhh, Izturis."

Anthopoulous: "So then why does this game footage of him show the back of his jersey with "McCarthy" on it?"

Gibbons: "Its' a spelling error."

Anthopoulos: "Oh, ok! Sign him up!"

Closed Thread