HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Ranger...what are his intentions?

Old
02-02-2013, 04:05 PM
mapleleaf979

vCash: 500
Paul Ranger...what are his intentions?

I think there is only 2 things that could be going on right now. Im very surprised the media isnt looking into what he plans to do. Talent is not the issue, I believe he is better than Fraser who is up with the big club.

1) There could be mutual interest in waiting out the season to make sure Ranger is ready to re-commit the next several years in the NHL.

2) He wants to become a free agent and maximize the money he would make next year from the highest bidder and or they disagree on his contract value/term right now.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:13 PM
lordsithis

Didn't Ranger say he didn't want to be in the NHL any longer?

lordsithis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Morlu

He wants to play for Toronto. He lives here. He wants one full year in AHL and will sign with the big club next year

Morlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I think there is only 2 things that could be going on right now. Im very surprised the media isnt looking into what he plans to do. Talent is not the issue, I believe he is better than Fraser who is up with the big club.

1) There could be mutual interest in waiting out the season to make sure Ranger is ready to re-commit the next several years in the NHL.

2) He wants to become a free agent and maximize the money he would make next year from the highest bidder and or they disagree on his contract value/term right now.
I read somewhere that he wants to bring up his game to be a top-4 defenseman which he feels he has not yet attained. Does not want to be a spare part if he makes the move to the NHL. Also he is comfortable right now playing for the Marlies and involved with a youth team near where he lives. Seems the Leafs are willing to accommodate his wishes and are probably hoping this gesture is appreciated when it comes to the NHL. He is already a free agent insofar as the NHL is concerned, able to sign with any one. Everyone walks to his own drummer and his story is actually refreshing....wishing him well in his hockey future.

Parkdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:19 PM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlu View Post
He wants to play for Toronto. He lives here. He wants one full year in AHL and will sign with the big club next year
yep!!!

IBLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:19 PM
JackBurton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlu View Post
I would tend to agree. He may just want to be sure that he's ready physically, mentally, and emotionally to play hockey at its highest levels again. After quitting the NHL at such a young age, he may also want to make sure his heart is in it, that he actually wants to work and play again, as to not sign a contract and then disappear a second time.

JackBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

He missed playing, but it's entirely possible he doesn't want to go back to the NHL again. He might well be perfectly happy being low-key playin competitive but comparatively invisible hockey with the Marlies, rather than the different social life and fan/media spotlight of the NHL.

Whatever he ends up doing - even if it does end up being a ressurected NHL career - he's earned my respect.

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

he intends to live forever! so far, so good

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:13 PM
contour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
he intends to live forever! so far, so good
His name sounds like a superhero.

Paul Ranger, The Lone Avenger.

contour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Morlu

He has a concussion right now I believe. So I'm guessing he'll be out of the Marlies line up for awhile.

Morlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:41 PM
number72

My guess is Ranger is playing one year in the AHL to get his game back. Then next year he will move to the NHL to the team offering the best opportunity.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Brody
$$

vCash: 560
If he signs in the NHL, it better be with us :p

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 07:09 PM
satyr9

OP sounds like an overprotective dad, what are your intentions towards my Maple Leafs Mr. Ranger? lol, I'm guessing it's a remnant from Brian Berard's defection.

I have no knowledge, but it sounds like he missed hockey after quitting and is taking it slow, he'll play Marlies to see if he can commit to a full season of professional hockey and all the stuff that I'm assuming Ranger doesn't like that goes with it. If he's still happy he'll sign where he's happy. I'd say the odds are good that he wants to play where he lives (meaning for the Leafs), but IMO he owes us nothing. If he decides he wants to play in the KHL or Miami or wherever, that's fine with me. I really respect Ranger for making some tough choices while trying to be happy. Of course, in some ways I find it incomprehensible (playing professional hockey sounds like a nice gig to me), but I still respect the hell out anyone who can make tough choices like that.

satyr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:09 PM
CellarDweller0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsithis View Post
Didn't Ranger say he didn't want to be in the NHL any longer?
How do you know this? Link please.

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Paul "Walker Texas" Ranger

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote