HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Morgan Rielly discussion thread.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:30 AM
Larcos_Unal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
theres a very underrated defenceman on our team that could be considered our franchise player.
komi? liles?

Larcos_Unal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:42 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcos_Unal View Post
komi? liles?
Your very close

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:45 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Kessel is good but Mogilny he is not.
Still the same type of player which is what the poster was saying, that we needed to acquire a Mogilny.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:52 AM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
the highest Mogilny ever finished in the scoring race was 7th in 92-93.

Kessel finished 6th last year.

Rielly deserves a shot at camp, and probably the 9 games(could this be changed in a lockout shortened season?) but should ultimately be in the W where he can dominate his peers.

Funk Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:54 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I thought of Kessel when I typed it...but didn't want to enrage such a volatile group, especially during a lockout.

Truth is, Kessel is very much what Mogilny was for this team. Mind you, Mogilny was older but surrounded by FAR better players.

Peak to peak, Mogilny is the superior player, no doubt about it. But they have similarities: pure snipers, all offense, great speed and puck handling, both inconsistent at times.

Kessel's a really good player. It's too bad many Leaf fans don't appreciate him as much as they should.
Meh, who cares what some of these people say/think most don't know a thing about hockey anyway, at least it doesn't come off that way.

People here like to jump before thinking about what they're doing. You can compare play styles and people will jump on you for saying that said player will be as good as other said player, when in reality it's not even close to the point that you were trying to convey.

IE-Some people observed that Gardiner had the same style as Niedemeyer(great skater, puck-handling, vision etc), then people got bent out of shape because they assumed that they meant that Gardiner was the same caliber of player as Niedemeyer.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Meh, who cares what some of these people say/think most don't know a thing about hockey anyway, at least it doesn't come off that way.

People here like to jump before thinking about what they're doing. You can compare play styles and people will jump on you for saying that said player will be as good as other said player, when in reality it's not even close to the point that you were trying to convey.

IE-Some people observed that Gardiner had the same style as Niedemeyer(great skater, puck-handling, vision etc), then people got bent out of shape because they assumed that they meant that Gardiner was the same caliber of player as Niedemeyer.

Gardiner and Niedermeyer also have another similar trait: Both are/were overrated

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:50 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
Gardiner and Niedermeyer also have another similar trait: Both are/were overrated
How so?

Old
12-12-2012, 11:36 AM
diceman934

Reilly looked great yesterday .....he is getting better by the day..

I say that he stays with the Leafs all season.....far to good to not keep him.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Cor
LL Legend

vCash: 0
If he gets traded, keep in the WHL, if not, I'd give him strong consideration to stay

Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:47 AM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
If he gets traded, keep in the WHL, if not, I'd give him strong consideration to stay

I watched Morgan play a lot over the pass 3 years, but he has developed past the WHL now.

After watching him yesterday, I say that there is no way to not take him.....he makes the Leafs instantly a much better team.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Cor
LL Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
I watched Morgan play a lot over the pass 3 years, but he has developed past the WHL now.

After watching him yesterday, I say that there is no way to not take him.....he makes the Leafs instantly a much better team.
Sure, but if he gets traded to a memorial cup contender, why not let him go there and perhaps add a memorial cup to his name?

Old
12-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Sure, but if he gets traded to a memorial cup contender, why not let him go there and perhaps add a memorial cup to his name?
if its true that he instantly makes the leafs a better team, they have no choice but to take him to toronto. though i don't think anyone is capable of making that determination just from watching him play junior hockey.

i'd also have to think that any memorial cup-contending team that might trade for rielly would want to know the leafs' plans for him before making a trade. they couldn't possibly make a big trade like that, giving up very important future assets, and end up with nothing if the leafs bring rielly up right away.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:50 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Technically Moose Jaw is in contention. They're in the playoff picture at the moment. Him leaving doesn't help though

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Cor
LL Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing View Post
Technically Moose Jaw is in contention. They're in the playoff picture at the moment. Him leaving doesn't help though
Doubt they win a game while he is gone TBH.

Pretty much every team makes the playoffs win the WHL... only 2 teams don't. So making the playoffs isn't really the same. Only like the top 5 teams truely have a realistic shot

Old
12-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
Please explain.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
How so?
He just said so.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWantACup View Post
If there is a season Burke says he will invite Rielly to camp do you agree?
He can bring him to camp, but the kid needs to finish his year with his team.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:28 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
if its true that he instantly makes the leafs a better team, they have no choice but to take him to toronto. though i don't think anyone is capable of making that determination just from watching him play junior hockey.

i'd also have to think that any memorial cup-contending team that might trade for rielly would want to know the leafs' plans for him before making a trade. they couldn't possibly make a big trade like that, giving up very important future assets, and end up with nothing if the leafs bring rielly up right away.
I am giving you my opinion.....but listen to what others within the NHL say......Morgan is ready....playing more games in the WHL will not improve his skill set. He will make them instantly better in my opinion and this has nothing to do with watching him play in the WHL I came to this conclusion while watching the Subway series and the World Jr camp.....

Old
12-12-2012, 04:48 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Idk about u guys but I'd rather rielly stay in mj so he can play for the marlies in the playoffs

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:50 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Idk about u guys but I'd rather rielly stay in mj so he can play for the marlies in the playoffs
I'd rather see him playing for the Leafs and helping them make the playoffs.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Stephen

Quote:
I would't mind seeing him win a Memorial Cup for a WHL club...

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
I'd rather see him playing for the Leafs and helping them make the playoffs.
I don't see the point of Rielly playing in the NHL is a shortened season. As good as all rookies are, they make mistakes and get sheltered minutes down the stretch.

I'd much rather see him getting top minutes in the WHL than see him benched in key situations on the Leafs, get 2nd pairing PP minutes if any and 10-12 minutes playing time.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:18 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Who cares really. It's probably up to Rielly anyways whether he decides to stay or not.

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
I am giving you my opinion.....but listen to what others within the NHL say......Morgan is ready....playing more games in the WHL will not improve his skill set. He will make them instantly better in my opinion and this has nothing to do with watching him play in the WHL I came to this conclusion while watching the Subway series and the World Jr camp.....
wow, you came to that conclusion by watching 2 games against a russian team you know almost nothing about, and a team canada scrimmage? that's some amazing scouting.

its one thing to argue he'd be better off playing in the nhl for his own development, its another thing to argue he'd instantly make the leafs a better team. that's an incredible leap of faith.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:34 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
wow, you came to that conclusion by watching 2 games against a russian team you know almost nothing about, and a team canada scrimmage? that's some amazing scouting.

its one thing to argue he'd be better off playing in the nhl for his own development, its another thing to argue he'd instantly make the leafs a better team. that's an incredible leap of faith.
To be fair, wouldn't the only reason he'd make the team be because they're better with him than with any of the NHL-calibre players he'd be beating out for that job?

IBeL13f is online now   Reply With Quote