HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Portland Winterhawks investigation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-29-2012, 07:23 PM
  #126
mapes
Registered User
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 21,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Rimouski has paid players under the table and gotten help in recruiting players... Some legal.

I expect a Q team to go down next, likely QC, but Rimouski, SJ, Moncton and Halifax are on that list.
Why would Halifax be on that list?

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:05 PM
  #127
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,112
vCash: 500
The WHL has released another statement:
Quote:
After the WHL became aware that the Portland Winterhawks had entered into an undisclosed player agreement which contravened WHL Regulations, the WHL commissioned international accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers to conduct an independent investigation to determine whether there were any additional benefits extended to players during the past five seasons. The independent investigation identified 54 violations involving 14 players which have occurred over the past five seasons.
http://whl.ca/article/whl-statement-...land-sanctions

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:07 PM
  #128
WildcatMapleLeafs28
Registered User
 
WildcatMapleLeafs28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,946
vCash: 500
If a Q team gets nailed , it'll be Quebec.

LGM has publically thrown shots at Patrick Roy and the Remparts for "buying" players..

As far as Rimouski goes , that was more of an issue of the past not the present...

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:19 PM
  #129
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Why would Halifax be on that list?
Because Jonathan Drouin's family gets a weekly stipend for him to play in Halifax.... And because he was bought off.

You can bet that Nate got an education too... I don't care if he is the hometown boy, he got what he wanted.. Halifax wasn't the only team he would of played for.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:21 PM
  #130
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
If a Q team gets nailed , it'll be Quebec.

LGM has publically thrown shots at Patrick Roy and the Remparts for "buying" players..

As far as Rimouski goes , that was more of an issue of the past not the present...
Most likely.

Moncton and SJ are 3 and 2 on the list...

Rimouski has done it as recently as DeLuca, this was confirmed to me by someone with great knowledge of his situation.

Also don't be surprised if the Sting get nailed too, they've done it, and recently.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:33 PM
  #131
shello
@WShello9
 
shello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ile-Perrot, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Because Jonathan Drouin's family gets a weekly stipend for him to play in Halifax.... And because he was bought off.

You can bet that Nate got an education too... I don't care if he is the hometown boy, he got what he wanted.. Halifax wasn't the only team he would of played for.
I'm 80% sure he didn't. Drouin though that wouldn't surprise me about the weekly pay.
Agree with WildCats if it's anyone in the Q it's Qc.

[mod]


Last edited by Hammer Slammer: 12-01-2012 at 01:02 PM.
shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:51 PM
  #132
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
I'm 80% sure he didn't. Drouin though that wouldn't surprise me about the weekly pay.
Agree with WildCats if it's anyone in the Q it's Qc.





This made me laugh, feel the same way
It's highly possible that he didn't, but I don't believe it simply because his parent know how to play poker... He could of gotten a lot and I don't see him not having gotten anything. He certainly had reason for playing in Halifax though.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:54 PM
  #133
shello
@WShello9
 
shello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ile-Perrot, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
It's highly possible that he didn't, but I don't believe it simply because his parent know how to play poker... He could of gotten a lot and I don't see him not having gotten anything. He certainly had reason for playing in Halifax though.
Well he's been dreaming of playing there since he was a little kid . But who's knows, if he said that he would only play for Halifax then maybe ya something could be up but I doubt it. But neither of us really know.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 10:43 PM
  #134
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Why would Halifax be on that list?
this is kinda off topic - but i thought it was weird that halifax drafted eichel as their first round pick this past year...esp. given it seemed pretty obvious that he was going to ntdp. i know he has a late b-day (so will have an extra development b/w finishing ntdp and getting drafted)...but halifax must have thought they'd be able to do something to either get him to not go to the ntdp or go to the Q rather than the ncaa if they were willing to use a first round pick on him

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:51 AM
  #135
Fast Tony DeNiro
Registered User
 
Fast Tony DeNiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
The only thing the WHL has said specifically about the situation, is two things the Winterhawks DID NOT do. They did not pay players to join the team, and they did not bend or break any scholarship rules.

Those are the two biggies. If the Hawks didn't do either of those things what could they have possibly done to get hammered this hard with a punishment? Windsor was accused and found guilty of paying players, and their punishment is a slap on the wrist compared to Portland's.

Fast Tony DeNiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:33 AM
  #136
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
The only thing the WHL has said specifically about the situation, is two things the Winterhawks DID NOT do. They did not pay players to join the team, and they did not bend or break any scholarship rules.

Those are the two biggies. If the Hawks didn't do either of those things what could they have possibly done to get hammered this hard with a punishment? Windsor was accused and found guilty of paying players, and their punishment is a slap on the wrist compared to Portland's.
I swear it was Portland who said that, and not the Dub.

No way they get hit that hard for the little things.. Plus the Dub needs to look like the good guys here.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:39 AM
  #137
Andy Dufresne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 1,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I swear it was Portland who said that, and not the Dub.

No way they get hit that hard for the little things.. Plus the Dub needs to look like the good guys here.
No, it was the league who said that:

It should also be noted through the course of the investigation there was no evidence of any payments or enhanced education benefits provided to players that would be contrary to WHL Regulations as previous media reports indicated.

The Western Hockey League will not make any further public comments on this matter.


That comment was from the league's news release found here:http://www.whl.ca/article/whl-sancti...erhawks/132721

Yesterday they did comment further:http://www.whl.ca/article/whl-statem...land-sanctions

Looks like an amputation of writing hand punishment for writing bad checks imo. Portland was guilty of many infractions but they were all minor type things not the 2 biggies as Fast Tony said above.
From the latest press release: "54 violations involving 14 players which have occurred over the past five seasons"

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:20 AM
  #138
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Dufresne View Post
No, it was the league who said that:

It should also be noted through the course of the investigation there was no evidence of any payments or enhanced education benefits provided to players that would be contrary to WHL Regulations as previous media reports indicated.

The Western Hockey League will not make any further public comments on this matter.


That comment was from the league's news release found here:http://www.whl.ca/article/whl-sancti...erhawks/132721

Yesterday they did comment further:http://www.whl.ca/article/whl-statem...land-sanctions

Looks like an amputation of writing hand punishment for writing bad checks imo. Portland was guilty of many infractions but they were all minor type things not the 2 biggies as Fast Tony said above.
From the latest press release: "54 violations involving 14 players which have occurred over the past five seasons"
I still don't buy it.. 54 is a lot ya, but given their punishment... There has to be more.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:00 PM
  #139
Skinnyjimmy08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,266
vCash: 500
oh and apparently there is more now......I guess there may now be more punishment for the Winterhawks for the team releasing confidential details of the penalty to everyone!!!!! This keeps getting better and better!!!!!. I thought it was very odd how Portland released a few of the infractions right away to the press.

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:35 PM
  #140
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,263
vCash: 8345
They have to play short handed for the rest of the year?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:29 PM
  #141
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,166
vCash: 500
Wow.. That Dub is coming down hard.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:08 PM
  #142
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,395
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
WHL is better for NHL development. Alot of NHL teams prefer their prospects playing major junior. So if they can get 4 years of schooling paid for and also play at a higher level, its pretty common sense to me if I were the player
Nah, both have the pros and cons.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:15 PM
  #143
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Nah, both have the pros and cons.
I disagree.. CHL is better. High caliber of play, they get used to the pro grind.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:04 PM
  #144
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,395
vCash: 50
And in college you have much more time working on your weaknesses.

It's closer than you think.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:37 AM
  #145
Skinnyjimmy08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Nah, both have the pros and cons.
Well the Pro is that you get to live the college life hahah and have a full ride. As far as hockey goes CHL is a FAR better route for preparing for NHL and it's a stronger league obviously too. And thats a known fact.

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:36 PM
  #146
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
Well the Pro is that you get to live the college life hahah and have a full ride. As far as hockey goes CHL is a FAR better route for preparing for NHL and it's a stronger league obviously too. And thats a known fact.
Huh? Don't understand how you can talk in absolutes, it's all contingent on the player himself. Different routes address different needs for different individuals..

puckfan13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:45 PM
  #147
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,395
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Huh? Don't understand how you can talk in absolutes, it's all contingent on the player himself. Different routes address different needs for different individuals..
Seriously, just because one is "stronger" doesn't make it the better route. Totally agree with you.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:23 PM
  #148
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
And in college you have much more time working on your weaknesses.

It's closer than you think.
CHL teams are on the ice almost everyday...

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:24 PM
  #149
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Seriously, just because one is "stronger" doesn't make it the better route. Totally agree with you.
Me too, sometimes there's an NCAA player, and a CHL player, if they go opposite they bust.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 06:34 PM
  #150
Skinnyjimmy08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,266
vCash: 500
Aaaaaand Portland was fined another $25,000 haha... for their press release after the word came out they had been punished. This is very entertaining!!!!!

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.