HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Portland Winterhawks investigation

Old
11-29-2012, 07:23 PM
mapes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Rimouski has paid players under the table and gotten help in recruiting players... Some legal.

I expect a Q team to go down next, likely QC, but Rimouski, SJ, Moncton and Halifax are on that list.
Why would Halifax be on that list?

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:05 PM
jfb392

The WHL has released another statement:
Quote:
After the WHL became aware that the Portland Winterhawks had entered into an undisclosed player agreement which contravened WHL Regulations, the WHL commissioned international accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers to conduct an independent investigation to determine whether there were any additional benefits extended to players during the past five seasons. The independent investigation identified 54 violations involving 14 players which have occurred over the past five seasons.
http://whl.ca/article/whl-statement-...land-sanctions

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:07 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

If a Q team gets nailed , it'll be Quebec.

LGM has publically thrown shots at Patrick Roy and the Remparts for "buying" players..

As far as Rimouski goes , that was more of an issue of the past not the present...

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:19 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Because Jonathan Drouin's family gets a weekly stipend for him to play in Halifax.... And because he was bought off.

You can bet that Nate got an education too... I don't care if he is the hometown boy, he got what he wanted.. Halifax wasn't the only team he would of played for.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:21 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
If a Q team gets nailed , it'll be Quebec.

LGM has publically thrown shots at Patrick Roy and the Remparts for "buying" players..

As far as Rimouski goes , that was more of an issue of the past not the present...
Most likely.

Moncton and SJ are 3 and 2 on the list...

Rimouski has done it as recently as DeLuca, this was confirmed to me by someone with great knowledge of his situation.

Also don't be surprised if the Sting get nailed too, they've done it, and recently.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:33 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Because Jonathan Drouin's family gets a weekly stipend for him to play in Halifax.... And because he was bought off.

You can bet that Nate got an education too... I don't care if he is the hometown boy, he got what he wanted.. Halifax wasn't the only team he would of played for.
I'm 80% sure he didn't. Drouin though that wouldn't surprise me about the weekly pay.
Agree with WildCats if it's anyone in the Q it's Qc.

[mod]

Last edited by Hammer Slammer: 12-01-2012 at 01:02 PM.
shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:51 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
I'm 80% sure he didn't. Drouin though that wouldn't surprise me about the weekly pay.
Agree with WildCats if it's anyone in the Q it's Qc.

This made me laugh, feel the same way
It's highly possible that he didn't, but I don't believe it simply because his parent know how to play poker... He could of gotten a lot and I don't see him not having gotten anything. He certainly had reason for playing in Halifax though.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:54 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
It's highly possible that he didn't, but I don't believe it simply because his parent know how to play poker... He could of gotten a lot and I don't see him not having gotten anything. He certainly had reason for playing in Halifax though.
Well he's been dreaming of playing there since he was a little kid . But who's knows, if he said that he would only play for Halifax then maybe ya something could be up but I doubt it. But neither of us really know.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 10:43 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
this is kinda off topic - but i thought it was weird that halifax drafted eichel as their first round pick this past year...esp. given it seemed pretty obvious that he was going to ntdp. i know he has a late b-day (so will have an extra development b/w finishing ntdp and getting drafted)...but halifax must have thought they'd be able to do something to either get him to not go to the ntdp or go to the Q rather than the ncaa if they were willing to use a first round pick on him

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:51 AM
Fast Tony DeNiro

The only thing the WHL has said specifically about the situation, is two things the Winterhawks DID NOT do. They did not pay players to join the team, and they did not bend or break any scholarship rules.

Those are the two biggies. If the Hawks didn't do either of those things what could they have possibly done to get hammered this hard with a punishment? Windsor was accused and found guilty of paying players, and their punishment is a slap on the wrist compared to Portland's.

Fast Tony DeNiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:33 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
The only thing the WHL has said specifically about the situation, is two things the Winterhawks DID NOT do. They did not pay players to join the team, and they did not bend or break any scholarship rules.

Those are the two biggies. If the Hawks didn't do either of those things what could they have possibly done to get hammered this hard with a punishment? Windsor was accused and found guilty of paying players, and their punishment is a slap on the wrist compared to Portland's.
I swear it was Portland who said that, and not the Dub.

No way they get hit that hard for the little things.. Plus the Dub needs to look like the good guys here.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:
I swear it was Portland who said that, and not the Dub.

No way they get hit that hard for the little things.. Plus the Dub needs to look like the good guys here.
No, it was the league who said that:

It should also be noted through the course of the investigation there was no evidence of any payments or enhanced education benefits provided to players that would be contrary to WHL Regulations as previous media reports indicated.

The Western Hockey League will not make any further public comments on this matter.

That comment was from the league's news release found here:http://www.whl.ca/article/whl-sancti...erhawks/132721

Yesterday they did comment further:http://www.whl.ca/article/whl-statem...land-sanctions

Looks like an amputation of writing hand punishment for writing bad checks imo. Portland was guilty of many infractions but they were all minor type things not the 2 biggies as Fast Tony said above.
From the latest press release: "54 violations involving 14 players which have occurred over the past five seasons"

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:20 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Dufresne View Post
No, it was the league who said that:

It should also be noted through the course of the investigation there was no evidence of any payments or enhanced education benefits provided to players that would be contrary to WHL Regulations as previous media reports indicated.

The Western Hockey League will not make any further public comments on this matter.

That comment was from the league's news release found here:http://www.whl.ca/article/whl-sancti...erhawks/132721

Yesterday they did comment further:http://www.whl.ca/article/whl-statem...land-sanctions

Looks like an amputation of writing hand punishment for writing bad checks imo. Portland was guilty of many infractions but they were all minor type things not the 2 biggies as Fast Tony said above.
From the latest press release: "54 violations involving 14 players which have occurred over the past five seasons"
I still don't buy it.. 54 is a lot ya, but given their punishment... There has to be more.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

oh and apparently there is more now......I guess there may now be more punishment for the Winterhawks for the team releasing confidential details of the penalty to everyone!!!!! This keeps getting better and better!!!!!. I thought it was very odd how Portland released a few of the infractions right away to the press.

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:35 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
They have to play short handed for the rest of the year?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:29 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Wow.. That Dub is coming down hard.

Old
11-30-2012, 07:08 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
WHL is better for NHL development. Alot of NHL teams prefer their prospects playing major junior. So if they can get 4 years of schooling paid for and also play at a higher level, its pretty common sense to me if I were the player
Nah, both have the pros and cons.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:15 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I disagree.. CHL is better. High caliber of play, they get used to the pro grind.

Old
11-30-2012, 09:04 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

And in college you have much more time working on your weaknesses.

It's closer than you think.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Skinnyjimmy08

Quote:
Well the Pro is that you get to live the college life hahah and have a full ride. As far as hockey goes CHL is a FAR better route for preparing for NHL and it's a stronger league obviously too. And thats a known fact.

Old
12-01-2012, 01:36 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
Well the Pro is that you get to live the college life hahah and have a full ride. As far as hockey goes CHL is a FAR better route for preparing for NHL and it's a stronger league obviously too. And thats a known fact.
Huh? Don't understand how you can talk in absolutes, it's all contingent on the player himself. Different routes address different needs for different individuals..

puckfan13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:45 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Huh? Don't understand how you can talk in absolutes, it's all contingent on the player himself. Different routes address different needs for different individuals..
Seriously, just because one is "stronger" doesn't make it the better route. Totally agree with you.

Old
12-01-2012, 04:23 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
And in college you have much more time working on your weaknesses.

It's closer than you think.
CHL teams are on the ice almost everyday...

Old
12-01-2012, 04:24 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Seriously, just because one is "stronger" doesn't make it the better route. Totally agree with you.
Me too, sometimes there's an NCAA player, and a CHL player, if they go opposite they bust.

Old
12-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

Aaaaaand Portland was fined another $25,000 haha... for their press release after the word came out they had been punished. This is very entertaining!!!!!