HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Who do you think is trying harder to get the game back on the ice?

View Poll Results: Who's trying harder to get the game back on the ice?
NHL 97 58.79%
NHLPA 68 41.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-23-2012, 09:42 AM
The Phil

vCash: 500
Neither side is doing enough, and that's why there will be no hockey this year.

The Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:25 AM
questhockey

I never voted as I am not sure if Phoenix gets a vote (IMO they shouldn't)
Also, I am not sure if the NHLPA so far has taken an actual legal/documented vote on any NHL proposal.
Over last 2 days with the Hamrlik/Neuveirth comments, I am not sure the top $$ makers/Fehr are keeping the lower wage earners in dark. It's funny to me once the proposal went public, a couple players started speaking out against Fehr. Seems odd to me.
Unfortunately I am not well informed enough to partake in the poll.

questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:35 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
Where is the even option? I don't think the owners like losing money any more than the players.
Because that option would make no sense as an answer to the question.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Ari91

Where is the 'equal' option? When both sides are trying to negotiated on their own terms, I'd say they're putting in equal amount of effort, or lack there of to get a deal done. The NHL's strategy seems obvious to me, the PA doesn't want to appear weak by willingly negotiating the way the league hoped they would. That's the strike against the PA. The league knows they have a good chance at ending this stuff if they simply offer the proposal that they are truly looking to accept but they don't want to make the first move. That's the strike against the NHL. Both sides deserve the losses they are currently suffering and unfortunately, the game has to suffer alongside them.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelvl View Post
Jeremy Jacobs took Ray Bourque to arbitration and allowed countless valuable players to hold out during his reign of terror in Boston. He only cares about getting a good business deal, he cares very very little about getting the game back on the ice.
I have to agree with this, and I am sure there are other cutthroat owners who are in Jacobs corner.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:19 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
I chose the NHL. IMO the PA has yet to propose an agreement that has linkage to HRR. The NHL cancelled a season last tiem to get linkage, not sure why the PA kept insisting on no linkage for months and months. It was never gonna happen.

Nice to see their lastest at least links on revenue growth. Its a start.

cheswick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:36 AM
darglor

vCash: 50
I don't see how you can say the PA is making the most efforts when they're the ones that refused to negotiate for a whole season and then took 67 (I think?) days into the lockout to finally produce their first serious offer...

darglor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:24 PM
ovenbaked

I choose neither

Putting the game back on the ice is on the back burner from what i see.

ovenbaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:30 PM
rschile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrthebest View Post
I do not understand how anyone can say a group, that finally gave its first complete official proposal 2 months into a lockout, is try to get a labor negotiation completed.
yea Im pretty sure I heard about a couple proposals from the nhlpa the last few months but i guess they were test proposals lol? but yea wait 2 months in for your first official proposal.. the players may be trying but they dont know what theyre doing and the owner have all the time and money in the world

rschile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Frek
WE SEE RED!

vCash: 679
I voted NHL just because they seem to be putting more effort into this. Often times the impression given by Fehr is that he actually wants this to continue.

That said though, it takes 2 to tango and I really sincerely hope that both sides suffer significant financial losses when this is all said and done.

Frek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:59 PM
hyster110

i say neither as both are looking out for their own interests and not the collective interest in the game

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Clark Gillies
HFBoards Sponsor

I do not see the players having any intention of getting back to playing hockey.
They are without a doubt the ones holding this back.

Clark Gillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:59 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Both?

Owners are holding strong now on economics and make whole...
Players are holding strong on the contractual rights...

Both want some give in the others stance.

In meanwhile, once you peel away all the rhetoric, PR, and doom n gloom each side has to present publicly... they have managed to compromise and find common ground on a tonne of issues and issues in a numerous range of categories or areas of the CBA.

They are close.. they are both doing their parts... and now they are both buckling down and holding strong to the parts of the CBA both sides are most passionate about or find to be the most important...

Up until this this most recent proposal by the PA.. i had been frustrated by their insistence of guaranteed raises and de-linkage... Everyone and their dog saw that as a non-starter.

(Actually no... i found their 3rd proposal of the package of 3 they presented as finally the step displaying a point of mov't towards a real resolution.)

So up until then, it was apparent to me that players were gonna push and use the season deadline as their pressure for a favorable resolution..

But i think both sides are now down to the grind of these negotiations... we'll see what happens..

Last edited by DL44: 11-23-2012 at 04:05 PM.
DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:03 PM
GordonGraham

PA for sure

Why do you think the league doesnt wanna go to arbitration

League is taking back money, cutting contracts lenght, capping raises, later arbitration and offers nothing in exchange

Some players are breaking party line and saying they wanna play all you hear from the owners is we support gary not even 1 is questionning him

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelbackMontage View Post
Neither side is doing enough, and that's why there will be no hockey this year.
and that's the bottom line. both sides need to ask themselves if the credibility of the league and sport is less important then my bank account and pride.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Right now I would say the PA, but overall throughout this whole process I've liked the NHL's effort more.

Not that either side has been in that much of a hurry though.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:05 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Right now I would say the PA, but overall throughout this whole process I've liked the NHL's effort more.

Not that either side has been in that much of a hurry though.
That's the illogical part for me...
The nonchalant effort put forth by the PA just prior to the Nov 2nd/82 gm deadline was where i emotionally disconnected.. that was where it went into mindboggling territory for me. none of the numbers i ran indicated that they were far enough apart to justify missing a week of hockey.

They refused to table a formal presentation on contractual issues knowing that once they did, it meant the back and forth was on at that point. they've always had the end game set as the brink of season cancellation, and knew they wanted/needed to delay that part of the back-n-forth as late as possible so the league would also have the same pressure to give....

So on principle and strategy, i understand the PA's frustrating approach... but on economics - its just nonsensical on both parties to be missing this much of the season.
i.e. this next block of cancellations is valued at about another $180-200 million loss for the league and the players... And they are just $182mil apart in their economic portions of their latest proposals...
ah well..
Contractual rules apparently DO hold a real dollar value that both sides have weighed into their equations...

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:47 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
This is a separate poll to the other, which asked whose side you were on. This question is extremely directed- regardless of who you support, who do you think is making a bigger effort to negotiate and, ultimately, get the game back playing?
Neither party.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:05 PM
HockeyShack

vCash: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
PA for sure
Why do you think the league doesnt wanna go to arbitration

League is taking back money, cutting contracts lenght, capping raises, later arbitration and offers nothing in exchange

Some players are breaking party line and saying they wanna play all you hear from the owners is we support gary not even 1 is questionning him
MOD
The NHL has already offered ... Better Doctors, Travel, Hotels etc. Or do you not consider that them giving on anything?

I feel both are at fault, neither side has produced something that is fair. Although the NHL did produce something that would have saved the whole season, the players didn't do that until this week. (and that wouldn't mean 82 games)

Last edited by Fugu: 11-23-2012 at 11:17 PM. Reason: address the post please
HockeyShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Habs Junkie

The FANS

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote