HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Adam Larsson vs Ryan McDonagh

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have moving forward and why?
Adam Larsson 107 56.32%
Ryan McDonagh 83 43.68%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-24-2012, 02:48 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
I have to agree with this. Numerous times many Rangers have suggested without Lundqvist, they would be a fringe play-off team or so along the lines. If that's true, then all the three #1 d-mans and solid forward group are hardly contributing anything, amirite?
Players can progress, you know?

This past season, the Rangers had the 2nd best defense pairing in the league after Suter-Weber and one of the best 2nd pairing d-man in Del Zotto who proved to be a gamebreaking talent on the back-end. They are still a playoff team the past year with Biron, however the years before that not even close. Lundqvist carried offensively/defensively inept teams for every other year of his career. This year, the defense eased him in, hence his career year statistically speaking.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Kershaw

As for the poll, I'd take McDonagh. Larsson has to be really damn good to surpass McDonagh after his monster sophomore season. He can reach that level maybe one day.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:53 PM
SMantzas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Didn't Brodeur just increase the size of his pads?
Still not nearly as big as Lundqvist, while being an inch taller

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
I don't think that's possible.

Devils' goalie Martin Brodeur tweaks leg pads and has won 4 of his last 5 starts

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Prove it.

Old
11-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Jersey Fresh
Video Et Taceo

Quote:
I didn't know it was impossible to have a great goalie and great defensemen at the same time.
Cause that's totally what he said.

Jersey Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Hynh

Short term I think McDonagh fits the Oilers better but long term Larsson would be more useful. The Oilers are weaker on LHD than RHD at the moment but they have an abundance of LHD prospects coming up.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:23 PM
lboogie42*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Prove it.
dont need to. play it by eye and u can see the difference. besides broduer accomplished himself as the best goalie to ever play by using the smallest sized pads allowed for all of his career. he didnt make a name by using huge pads like lundqvist did, he did it with skill. also if hes 40 years old and moves alot slower whats wrong with increasing the size a bit

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:50 PM
blue425

I'm more curious as to who the fans of the other 28 teams would pick.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:07 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
I have to agree with this. Numerous times many Rangers have suggested without Lundqvist, they would be a fringe play-off team or so along the lines. If that's true, then all the three #1 d-mans and solid forward group are hardly contributing anything, amirite?
What solid forward group? Callahan, Gaborik, and Richards once in awhile?

As for the Lundqvist pads thing I think it's absurd. The Devils have 3 Cup, 5 conference championships, and arguably the best goalie of all time career-wise. It would be such a tragedy if we had the better goalie right now, that they have to come up with excuses as the why the guy who just won the Vezina isn't as good as Fatso.

And maybe Staal isn't a "true #1" because he doesn't have the offense. Girardi and McDonagh certainly are. When you're putting up 30 points and playing elite defense you're a #1.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lboogie42 View Post
dont need to. play it by eye and u can see the difference.
I don't see it.

Quote:
besides broduer accomplished himself as the best goalie to ever play by using the smallest sized pads allowed for all of his career. he didnt make a name by using huge pads like lundqvist did, he did it with skill. also if hes 40 years old and moves alot slower whats wrong with increasing the size a bit
Yeah Marty's career is very impressive. He is the 3rd best goalie of all time and it's asinine to compare him with Lundqvist career wise.

Old
11-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

And by the way, when HF was polled on it I do believe all three Rangers D-men in question made the top 30, and there's 30 teams, so do the math...

Old
11-24-2012, 05:20 PM
lboogie42*

Quote:
Yeah Marty's career is very impressive. He is the 3rd best goalie of all time and it's asinine to compare him with Lundqvist career wise.
3rd best? whos 1st and 2nd? broduer holds most of the records for goalies.

Old
11-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Hasek and Roy

Old
11-24-2012, 05:21 PM
SMantzas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
And by the way, when HF was polled on it I do believe all three Rangers D-men in question made the top 30, and there's 30 teams, so do the math...

It's settled then

Anyway, McDonagh is in the top 30, but I dont see how Staal and Girardi are:

Timonen, Letang, Streit, Subban, Markov, Chara, Myers, Phaneuf, Karlsson, Kulikov, Green, Pitkanen, Byfuglien, Enstrom, Weber, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Seabrook, Keith, J. Johnson, Kronwall, Tyutin, E Johnson, Suter, Edler, Hamhuis, Visnovsky, Doughty, Yandle, OEL, Burns, Boyle, Campbell, J Bo, Giordano

Last edited by SMantzas: 11-24-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old
11-24-2012, 05:25 PM
lboogie42*

Quote:
Hasek and Roy
i guess thats somewhat reasonable. still think martys better tho.

Old
11-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:

It's settled then
I'm not using as evidence, all I'm asking is that HF pick one and stick with it.

It's the same **** with lots of teams/players. Shea Weber: 3rd defensively, 8th offensively, #1 overall

Old
11-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Hynh

Quote:
Useless records like wins, shutouts and GAA. Compare him to his peers and you see that Brodeur's greatest asset was consistency, rather than being exceptional.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...y-vs-his-peers

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Aliens

On a serious note, I think many Nyr fans are having trouble differentiating between #1 dmen and minute eating defenseman
I think you have the answer here. Minute eating is not synonymous with being a #1.

Quote:
Didn't Brodeur just increase the size of his pads?
Yes, but I believe they are still the smallest in the league relative to his height.

Lundqvist's pads are perfectly legal, and he'd be an excellent goalie even without them, but when they look so outsized at a glance, Devils fans are going to make fun of them. Nature of the rivalry.

Quote:
That doesn't make them all #1s. Not every team has a true #1. Bad teams don't. Hell, even some good teams don't. The Devils just went to the Cup Final and they don't have a #1.

Also, when you are using HF polls to prove a point in a discussion thread for another HF poll, don't be surprised if people laugh at you. Not exactly the most scientific survey you're quoting there.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:35 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
That doesn't make them all #1s. Not every team has a true #1. Bad teams don't. Hell, even some good teams don't. The Devils just went to the Cup Final and they don't have a #1.

Also, when you are using HF polls to prove a point in a discussion thread for another HF poll, don't be surprised if people laugh at you. Not exactly the most scientific survey you're quoting there.
Like I said, the only point I'm proving is that HF doesn't know which way is up. In one thread they all make the top 30. In another thread none of them are #1's.

Old
11-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2810
Quote:
dont need to. play it by eye and u can see the difference. besides broduer accomplished himself as the best goalie to ever play by using the smallest sized pads allowed for all of his career. he didnt make a name by using huge pads like lundqvist did, he did it with skill. also if hes 40 years old and moves alot slower whats wrong with increasing the size a bit
Except Brodeur didn't wear the smallest pads his entire career, so you don't know what the **** you're talking about.

If Brodeur is using bigger pads because he's "alot slower," shouldn't that mean he's using skill he doesn't have anymore to win? Yet apparently he can do that, but Lundqvist can't. Great logic.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Don't turn this into a Brodeur vs Lundqvist argument please.Marty is Marty and Devils fans know how good Lundqvist is.

To be honest, It will be cool to sign him when Marty retires.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Like I said, the only point I'm proving is that HF doesn't know which way is up. In one thread they all make the top 30. In another thread none of them are #1's.
It didn't seem like that was what you were trying to prove. You made the controversial claim that the Rangers have three #1 defencemen, numerous posters disagreed, then you cited an HF poll in support of your assertion, and now you're deriding the validity of something you brought up. This is mystifying to me.

Maybe your definition of a #1 defenceman differs from mine, but I don't think there's any way it can reasonably be said that the Rangers have three of them.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 06:04 PM
SMantzas

Quote:
Except Brodeur didn't wear the smallest pads his entire career, so you don't know what the **** you're talking about.

If Brodeur is using bigger pads because he's "alot slower," shouldn't that mean he's using skill he doesn't have anymore to win? Yet apparently he can do that, but Lundqvist can't. Great logic.
Lundqvist has had to reduce his pad size before, just saying. Still a hell of a goalie though

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...tin_brode.html

"According to the NHL, one in five goalies have to wear smaller pads than they had been wearing. Henrik Lundqvist of the Rangers had to reduce the length of his pads by a half-inch."

Old
11-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
It didn't seem like that was what you were trying to prove. You made the controversial claim that the Rangers have three #1 defencemen, numerous posters disagreed, then you cited an HF poll in support of your assertion, and now you're deriding the validity of something you brought up. This is mystifying to me.

Maybe your definition of a #1 defenceman differs from mine, but I don't think there's any way it can reasonably be said that the Rangers have three of them.
This was my argument in support of my claim, with a slight retraction.

Quote:
And maybe Staal isn't a "true #1" because he doesn't have the offense. Girardi and McDonagh certainly are. When you're putting up 30 points and playing elite defense you're a #1.
I think Staal is arguable because he's a black hole offensively. The question is whether his defense is good enough. I don't see an argument for McDonagh and Girardi not being #1's

The poll thing was just more so me having a "what is this, I don't even..." moment.

I hope you are no longer mystified. Or if you are, I hope it's by my dashing good looks and not my posting