HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Why don't the bigger markets have their own outdoor classic every year?

Old
11-24-2012, 07:14 AM
I am Canadian
Have faith.

vCash: 500
The Winter classic is much more about the exposure of the sport rather than ticket sales.

I am Canadian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:13 AM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... that would be terrific, though hasnt it been awhile since the Rideau's been safe enough to skate on much less hold up to substantial weight & re-top surfacing of the natural ice to bring it up to scratch? Parliament Hill would also be a great setting, portable bleachers, could jam as many as 50,000+ into the area fairly safely actually. Love to see the Flames play the Oilers on Lake Louise. The Canucks vs Toronto in the Harmony Bowl up at Whistler. All kinds of unique & interesting locations across the US rather than stadiums where you could charge an arm & leg, overnight packages, sponsorships etc.
Out of curiosity, where? I think in Canada, there are three obvious locations for 'out-of-the-box' Winter Classics: Whistler, Banff & the Rideau Canal.

AFAIK, the Rideau is usually safe enough to skate on from late Dec to mid Feb, but I could be wrong. But obviously, as you say, I doubt it would be safe enough to hold up other substantial weight that would come with hosting an NHL game there.

But in the US, what kind of ideas are there?

I know some people were throwing out the National Mall in DC for when Washington hosts the Winter Classic. That could be pretty cool.

saffronleaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
Out of curiosity, where? I think in Canada, there are three obvious locations for 'out-of-the-box' Winter Classics: Whistler, Banff & the Rideau Canal.... But in the US, what kind of ideas are there?... I know some people were throwing out the National Mall in DC for when Washington hosts the Winter Classic. That could be pretty cool.
... most cities in the US have potential sites either right within the city itself or within driving distance of historical significance, natural beauty; and or possible man made venues that would make for a fantastic location in which to stage an outdoor game beyond the rather mundane & controlled environment of a roofless stadium with lousy sitelines....

... for example, Columbus could host an outdoor game in Ohio at a unique location (we have the technology to stage a game anywhere, at anytime and in any climate including a desert environment), call it the "Battle of Buffington" (the only major engagement in that state during the Civil War) playing up their nom de guerre; or perhaps take that concept to Tennessee; call it the "Battle of Shiloh" with the Preds hosting the Blue Jackets.

Full on week long events including Civil War re-enactments, a steady stream of Blue Grass, Country Music & Rockabilly (and Im talking quality acts, none of this crap they throw at us in Vegas during the Awards Ceremonies etc), Elvis Impersonators, vintage auto show, in other words, go nuts. Actually reach out & touch the interests of the local communities rather than holding the game at a stadium, about 100 yards or more from the boards & glass to the gallery seating. Get up close & personal with fans.

Whats the problem here? These half assed Winter Classics are anything but. Wheres the mighty NHL's imagination? They could treble revenues on that one event alone if they even had a clue. Make serious in-roads in capturing the hearts & minds of potential fans, actually grow the game...

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post

AFAIK, the Rideau is usually safe enough to skate on from late Dec to mid Feb, but I could be wrong. But obviously, as you say, I doubt it would be safe enough to hold up other substantial weight that would come with hosting an NHL game there.
The Canal is drained every winter, to 6"-12".
IF (and its a big if), the area were to crash through, the drop would
hardly be significant.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:23 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Yes, and on a rare ocassion they might invite one of those second-class markets to participate,... wouldn't that be nice. Hey, the second-class markets could eventually perhaps have their own outdoor classic, and perhaps then the winners of both classics could face each other.
Hey, Buffalo hosted it!

The reason to not have multiple outdoor games per year is simple:
One makes it an annual event, and special. Multiple games make it "just another outdoor game."

The NHL desperately needs hype.

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote