HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

NHL Center Ice & Canadiens

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-08-2011, 11:13 AM
  #1
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
NHL Center Ice & Canadiens

A general question for people here: How has everyone's experience been with getting Habs games on NHL Center Ice?

I have moved to the US this year and so will no longer just get RDS like I used to. Anyone have any idea of how many of the games I am likely to see with Center Ice and of those will they be in HD?

Do they ever show the RDS feed or only English feeds?

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 11:26 AM
  #2
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 9,249
vCash: 500
I had NHL CI in the US a few years ago. You will only get RDS feed if no English feed is available. Otherwise you will get away team's feed most of the time.

As far as watching games in HD goes, it was pretty bad at the time. There were 2-3 games in HD per night, and most of the time it wasn't Montreal. This might have improved by now and you have more HD feeds available. Might also depend on your service provider, I was with Dish Network back then.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 11:31 AM
  #3
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
A general question for people here: How has everyone's experience been with getting Habs games on NHL Center Ice?

I have moved to the US this year and so will no longer just get RDS like I used to. Anyone have any idea of how many of the games I am likely to see with Center Ice and of those will they be in HD?

Do they ever show the RDS feed or only English feeds?
I've had CI since '00. I think they showed every Hab game last year, in the past there might be one or two games that aren't on. Most of the time you have to put up with the away announcers (it's really painful to listen to so many homer announcers, especially when it's boston) For whatever reason, most of the games are not in HD, I hope that changes, makes zero sense not to have all the games in HD. If it's a TSN or CBC they will be in HD, but if it's a local broadcast chances are it won't.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 12:43 PM
  #4
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I've had CI since '00. I think they showed every Hab game last year, in the past there might be one or two games that aren't on. Most of the time you have to put up with the away announcers (it's really painful to listen to so many homer announcers, especially when it's boston) For whatever reason, most of the games are not in HD, I hope that changes, makes zero sense not to have all the games in HD. If it's a TSN or CBC they will be in HD, but if it's a local broadcast chances are it won't.
I concur with this; I have NHL Center Ice through Directtv and you get the away games and it sucks. (Worst Homer Teams are Boston, Ottawa and actually Bob Cole when Tor-Montreal plays).

Unfortunately if the game is on TSN or CBC and also on american channel, you get the USA homer broadcast.

But hey, you get to watch the Habs, almost every game!

Can't wait to GET STARTED!

With Sid out for a bit, I think we are just as good as Washington and Boston when healthy.

LET'S GO HABS!!!!!!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:06 PM
  #5
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ
 
Mr San Diego Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego/Anchorage
Country: United States
Posts: 661
vCash: 500
Every Hab game was on TV last season through the Center Ice package, the NHL channel (usually Sat night game on CBC or weekday game TSN) or VS (only 1 game last season if I remember correctly).

I also have DirecTV.

There has been a big increase in the number of HD games per day with DirecTV the last couple of seasons (although from what I hear DirecTV has more HD games then Dish or Cable).

The only downer that continues to irritate me is that the TSN and CBC games shown through the Center Ice package are still not in HD. Only get the HD feeds for those channels when the NHL channel picks up that individual game. I hope this changes this season but have not heard any news on this (sure it is a money issue).

Over the past 2 seasons, the occasional Sportsnet HD game will be shown through the Center Ice package but it’s not an everyday occurrence…yet.

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:12 PM
  #6
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr San Diego Hab View Post
Every Hab game was on TV last season through the Center Ice package, the NHL channel (usually Sat night game on CBC or weekday game TSN) or VS (only 1 game last season if I remember correctly).

I also have DirecTV.

There has been a big increase in the number of HD games per day with DirecTV the last couple of seasons (although from what I hear DirecTV has more HD games then Dish or Cable).

The only downer that continues to irritate me is that the TSN and CBC games shown through the Center Ice package are still not in HD. Only get the HD feeds for those channels when the NHL channel picks up that individual game. I hope this changes this season but have not heard any news on this (sure it is a money issue).

Over the past 2 seasons, the occasional Sportsnet HD game will be shown through the Center Ice package but it’s not an everyday occurrence…yet.
I used to have directv and will likely go back when I move, but for the past few years i've been stuck with comcast. They don't have that many games in HD but all the TSN and CBC are HD at least.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 02:33 PM
  #7
Ford Prefect
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 795
vCash: 500
I got the CI package through Rogers in Toronto. I kept it only through the conclusion of the NFL season (was a package deal) and then switched over to RDS. They carried all the games, but the issue was they rarely (1 in 8-10 games) aired in HD. It was frustrating, because you knew that it was being aired by the local broadcaster in HD in their market. Some teams, like Edmonton, had all their games aired in HD. I saved myself $25 a month and got the HD content from RDS

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:58 PM
  #8
Kobe Armstrong
Registered User
 
Kobe Armstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,389
vCash: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I've had CI since '00. I think they showed every Hab game last year, in the past there might be one or two games that aren't on. Most of the time you have to put up with the away announcers (it's really painful to listen to so many homer announcers, especially when it's boston) For whatever reason, most of the games are not in HD, I hope that changes, makes zero sense not to have all the games in HD. If it's a TSN or CBC they will be in HD, but if it's a local broadcast chances are it won't.
yes they showed all but one or two, and after boston the worst announcers are buffalo and carolina, simply unbearable.

Kobe Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:59 PM
  #9
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,769
vCash: 500
I have Center Ice but haven't watched any games yet. For some reason I get RDS in Ontario, so if Habs games are on there I'll be watching them in French when we play Boston. Jack Edwards is unbearable.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:01 PM
  #10
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,545
vCash: 500
So... if I am in Montreal, I won't catch RDS's feed?

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:08 PM
  #11
matCH penalty
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,077
vCash: 500
I've got it on DirecTV. Yeah, it blows here in the states. The American feeds suck, apart from Detroit. Hope you like muting the TV and streaming Team 990, particularly on NESN games. In the time I've had Centre Ice, I've gotten RDS precisely once, for a game against the Blue Jackets. The feed broke halfway through the first period and never came back on. When I called to complain, I had to waste fifteen minutes explaining that I knew RDS was in French, and that wasn't what I was calling to complain about.

NHLN-US is also not airing as much HNIC as last year, for some stupid reason. Depending on who the opposing team is, you might get an SD CBC feed from PEI on saturdays. Or you might end up with FSN Whatever listening to a guy with more hair gel than hockey knowledge and a career ECHL goalie talk over the game while failing to be funny in twenty minute intervals. Or NESN, which is proud to announce it will have at least three digits worth of brain cells between its on-air talent for the 2011-2012 season.

Nothing will stop me from buying it every year I'm here. But ****, I'd do terrible, unspeakable things for RDS.


Last edited by matCH penalty: 09-08-2011 at 08:13 PM.
matCH penalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:32 PM
  #12
speed11
Registered User
 
speed11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country:
Posts: 4,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by matCH penalty View Post
I've got it on DirecTV. Yeah, it blows here in the states. The American feeds suck, apart from Detroit. Hope you like muting the TV and streaming Team 990, particularly on NESN games. In the time I've had Centre Ice, I've gotten RDS precisely once, for a game against the Blue Jackets. The feed broke halfway through the first period and never came back on. When I called to complain, I had to waste fifteen minutes explaining that I knew RDS was in French, and that wasn't what I was calling to complain about.

NHLN-US is also not airing as much HNIC as last year, for some stupid reason. Depending on who the opposing team is, you might get an SD CBC feed from PEI on saturdays. Or you might end up with FSN Whatever listening to a guy with more hair gel than hockey knowledge and a career ECHL goalie talk over the game while failing to be funny in twenty minute intervals. Or NESN, which is proud to announce it will have at least three digits worth of brain cells between its on-air talent for the 2011-2012 season.

Nothing will stop me from buying it every year I'm here. But ****, I'd do terrible, unspeakable things for RDS.
same for Cablevision. only HD games are on nhl networks or VS/NBC...and not to mention prices keep climbing year after year.

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:39 PM
  #13
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
if you get nhl centre ice you will get every habs game. you will get EVERY game.

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:41 PM
  #14
Qui Gon Dave
Registered User
 
Qui Gon Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cheshire, England
Country: England
Posts: 8,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I've had CI since '00. I think they showed every Hab game last year, in the past there might be one or two games that aren't on. Most of the time you have to put up with the away announcers (it's really painful to listen to so many homer announcers, especially when it's boston) For whatever reason, most of the games are not in HD, I hope that changes, makes zero sense not to have all the games in HD. If it's a TSN or CBC they will be in HD, but if it's a local broadcast chances are it won't.
I know this discussion is about the TV version of CI, but do you know if it's true that the online version provides viewers the choice to choose which audio feed they get? I think that's what I heard last year. Hopefully if true, that feature makes it to ESPN360 this year because some of the feeds out there are truly painful to listen to.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:42 PM
  #15
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,779
vCash: 500
If you get centre ice you might have to watch Boston - Montréal games with Edwards as the commentator.

Pretty sure you'll commit suicide.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:49 PM
  #16
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,621
vCash: 500
I prefer Game Center because it lets you watch English Canadian feeds when they are available, and because of PS3 I can watch on my TV anyway. Sadly neither Center Ice or Game Center has RDS regularly.

But you will get every game, so there's that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
If you get centre ice you might have to watch Boston - Montréal games with Edwards as the commentator.

Pretty sure you'll commit suicide.
When I have to watch NESN I mute it. I can handle most terrible commentators, but not Edwards.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 10:05 PM
  #17
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
If you get centre ice you might have to watch Boston - Montréal games with Edwards as the commentator.

Pretty sure you'll commit suicide.
People, you gotta learn how to improvise...

1) Start streaming
2) Mute sound of video
3) You activate 98,5fm radio to catch some good quality description
4) ??????
5) Profit!!

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 11:01 AM
  #18
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ
 
Mr San Diego Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego/Anchorage
Country: United States
Posts: 661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by matCH penalty View Post
I've got it on DirecTV. Yeah, it blows here in the states. The American feeds suck, apart from Detroit. Hope you like muting the TV and streaming Team 990, particularly on NESN games. In the time I've had Centre Ice, I've gotten RDS precisely once, for a game against the Blue Jackets. The feed broke halfway through the first period and never came back on. When I called to complain, I had to waste fifteen minutes explaining that I knew RDS was in French, and that wasn't what I was calling to complain about.

NHLN-US is also not airing as much HNIC as last year, for some stupid reason. Depending on who the opposing team is, you might get an SD CBC feed from PEI on saturdays. Or you might end up with FSN Whatever listening to a guy with more hair gel than hockey knowledge and a career ECHL goalie talk over the game while failing to be funny in twenty minute intervals. Or NESN, which is proud to announce it will have at least three digits worth of brain cells between its on-air talent for the 2011-2012 season.

Nothing will stop me from buying it every year I'm here. But ****, I'd do terrible, unspeakable things for RDS.
Why does it “blow” in the states? Because YOU don’t like the announcers? (and saying Detroit has the only good announcers in the States is a joke of a statement…but I digress).

The OP was asking about Hab games and their availability on the Center Ice package.
Like I and others have stated already, every single Hab game was on TV last year so I fail to see how the package (using DirecTV) in the states “blows”.

Who cares if some announcers suck? Make fun of them and enjoy the Hab game.
Its crazy, but within a short period of time, people have lost sight of the fact that just 4 years ago a handful of Hab games wouldn’t even be shown on the package. Today, all are on TV.

That is a win for this Hab fan.

And yes Edwards sucks…but sports in supposed to be about entertainment and that guy will at least have me yelling at the TV after his ridicules comments.

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 11:11 AM
  #19
OpenIceHit
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,323
vCash: 500
I'll be in the US also starting next week and until next summer. Do you know if they show the preseason games on Center Ice?

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 11:15 AM
  #20
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ
 
Mr San Diego Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego/Anchorage
Country: United States
Posts: 661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
I'll be in the US also starting next week and until next summer. Do you know if they show the preseason games on Center Ice?
They are not included
If you get the expanded sports package on DirecTV, the regional sports feeds are included. They sometimes will show preseason games but not very many.

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 11:17 AM
  #21
OpenIceHit
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr San Diego Hab View Post
They are not included
If you get the expanded sports package on DirecTV, the regional sports feeds are included. They sometimes will show preseason games but not very many.
Thanks for the info.

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 12:12 PM
  #22
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
You guys don't know the meaning of painful until you've watch a Habs @ Boston game on UPN back in the day

Worst announcers ever.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 12:38 PM
  #23
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
I know this discussion is about the TV version of CI, but do you know if it's true that the online version provides viewers the choice to choose which audio feed they get? I think that's what I heard last year. Hopefully if true, that feature makes it to ESPN360 this year because some of the feeds out there are truly painful to listen to.
I never had the online version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
If you get centre ice you might have to watch Boston - Montréal games with Edwards as the commentator.

Pretty sure you'll commit suicide.
I usually just down the volume down real low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
People, you gotta learn how to improvise...

1) Start streaming
2) Mute sound of video
3) You activate 98,5fm radio to catch some good quality description
I actually never thought of this for the Habs but have done if for the Dogs (can not listen to anyone else call a game in the AHL). Will have to try but usually the radio is a second or two behind or vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
I'll be in the US also starting next week and until next summer. Do you know if they show the preseason games on Center Ice?
They don't on comcast CI. I think it has to do with the baseball package being on the same channels.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 01:02 PM
  #24
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 3,119
vCash: 500
I have CI and after years of only the odd Habs game on TV, I'm just happy to be able to watch them all the time. But I do mute the sound when Jack@ss Edwards announcing.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 03:08 PM
  #25
DenverHabsFan
Registered User
 
DenverHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
A general question for people here: How has everyone's experience been with getting Habs games on NHL Center Ice?

I have moved to the US this year and so will no longer just get RDS like I used to. Anyone have any idea of how many of the games I am likely to see with Center Ice and of those will they be in HD?

Do they ever show the RDS feed or only English feeds?
Where are you moving in the US? You could just maintain a Bell TV account in Canada and bring your receiver with you. Perfectly legal. You need to be in the northern half of the US to get the HD channels on sat 82. Here in Denver, I had to upgrade to a 30" dish to get decent reception.

DenverHabsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.