HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Looking for stick advice

Old
02-24-2013, 09:15 PM
PlayBall
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Looking for stick advice

Hi guys. Have been browsing this section of the forum since stumbling on it about a week ago and decided to sign up ask my questions.

What would you look for in the ultimate ball Hockey stick? I know it needs to be different for ball hockey. Also it is on a dek hockey court so the stick wear isn't really any worse than ice. I won't spend in the 300 dollar range but more around 100-165

I'm 6 feet, 155. Play forward, like a Bolland/Clarkson/Vanek type but really clean. Here's what I'm thinking/wondering so far

- Higher stick lie, 6 or 7 because not on skates so less height and different angle and I handle pretty upright as well.

- Probably 55 flex, 65 flex at most. Open to opinions but I want a quick release and not make the mistake of a stick that is too stiff.

- Would a low kick or mid kick be better? I'm guessing a low-kick would keep the ball from flying skywards alot better but I'm not sure

- I want the release to be quick so I think a mid/toe curve would work nicely however I don't like when the ball spins because it really ****s my long range shots up and I've got a nice slapshot. If you've played you know what I mean, a good shot can suddenly spin wide. How can I have shots not spin randomly, but instead go where I want? (such as this image, notice how the ball barely spins once despite it's momentum)

Also, what do you guys think of Hockeymonkey? I was thinking of trying their mystery stick package where you get two top brand sticks for about the price of one. I live in Canada and as far as I know, they ship there now.

Thanks for everyone's responses, I will take in all the answers. These are all the questions I can think of at the moment

Last edited by PlayBall: 02-26-2013 at 01:48 AM. Reason: added more information
PlayBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:32 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayBall View Post
Hi guys. Have been browsing this section of the forum since stumbling on it about a week ago and decided to sign up ask my questions.

What would you look for in the ultimate ball Hockey stick? I know it needs to be different for ball hockey.

I'm 6 feet, 155. Play forward, like a Bolland/Clarkson/Vanek type but really clean. Here's what I'm thinking/wondering so far

- Higher stick lie, 6 or 7 because not on skates so less height and different angle and I handle pretty upright as well.

- Probably 55 flex, 65 flex at most. Open to opinions but I want a quick release and not make the mistake of a stick that is too stiff.

- Would a low kick or mid kick be better? I'm guessing a low-kick would keep the ball from flying skywards alot better but I'm not sure

- I want the release to be quick so I think a mid/toe curve would work nicely however I don't like when the ball spins because it really ****s my long range shots up and I've got a nice slapshot. If you've played you know what I mean, a good shot can suddenly spin wide. How can I have shots not spin randomly, but instead go where I want? (such as this image, notice how the ball barely spins once despite it's momentum)

Also, what do you guys think of Hockeymonkey? I was thinking of trying their mystery stick package where you get two top brand sticks for about the price of one. I live in Canada and as far as I know, they ship there now.

Third question, can you heat composite one piece sticks? I am using this stick, the vector 120 to do it. I bought it years ago because it was 40$ and had a completely flat blade, like a pro stock stick or something. This article tells me you can here but I'd like your opinions

Thanks for everyone's responses, I will take in all the answers. These are all the questions I can think of at the moment

best ball hockey stick, something for like 80 bucks if you want a composite, otherwise go wood. its ball hockey, not worth it to damage a 300 dollar stick

hockeymonkey, their mystery package is just that you could get two SE16s or get a couple mid level sticks. that and you do not get a choice of flex or curve, so all in all not worth it

as for heating composites, NO

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:58 PM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
best ball hockey stick, something for like 80 bucks if you want a composite, otherwise go wood. its ball hockey, not worth it to damage a 300 dollar stick

hockeymonkey, their mystery package is just that you could get two SE16s or get a couple mid level sticks. that and you do not get a choice of flex or curve, so all in all not worth it

as for heating composites, NO
I won't spend 300 but I want a quality composite. It's dek hockey flooring and I haven't noticed any substantial wear when I've played before. Because of my size I could probably get an intermediate and save some money.

Have you done the mystery package deal? When I went to the reviews they were all good. So that surprises me. Though this was on HM's website so maybe the comments were filtered.

And are you sure you can't heat them? From what I found there were some saying you could just not to the extremes like a wooden blade.

PlayBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:10 PM
AIREAYE

IMO the best option is to use a shaft + blade combo. That way, you can experiment with different curves, have the ability to replace a blade (or shaft) if it breaks without replacing the entire stick and even have the ability to adjust balance (which is more important than just raw weight) with the use of end plugs. Regarding curves, if you buy a wood or ABS blade and know how to do it, you could create curves yourself.

Curve, and length is completely personal preference, no argument there.

IMO flex isn't as relevant playing ball hockey as in ice because a ball will not offer enough resistance to warrant the stick's loading and releasing. Most of the velocity will come with the right technique coupled with the preferred curve and a stiff blade. With that reasoning, I firmly believe that kickpoint is also irrelevant.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:52 AM
17of26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
IMO the best option is to use a shaft + blade combo. That way, you can experiment with different curves, have the ability to replace a blade (or shaft) if it breaks without replacing the entire stick and even have the ability to adjust balance (which is more important than just raw weight) with the use of end plugs. Regarding curves, if you buy a wood or ABS blade and know how to do it, you could create curves yourself.

Curve, and length is completely personal preference, no argument there.
I agree with this - I am a huge fan of two piece sticks. You definitely do not need to buy a high end one piece composite for ball hockey. With the light weight of the ball, you're simply not going to need the features of a high end stick unless you just really want an extremely lightweight stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
IMO flex isn't as relevant playing ball hockey as in ice because a ball will not offer enough resistance to warrant the stick's loading and releasing. Most of the velocity will come with the right technique coupled with the preferred curve and a stiff blade. With that reasoning, I firmly believe that kickpoint is also irrelevant.
This is true for the most part. I played Dek hockey for 15 years before starting ice hockey and I used a wide variety of wooden sticks and shaft/blade combos (including aluminum shafts).

The only time I had a problem was when I tried an intermediate 50 flex shaft (at the time, I didn't know that sticks even had a flex rating). This was the only time I ever felt a stick flex while shooting and it took quite a bit of the power out of my shots. I used it in warm-ups once and went back to my 100 flex Easton zBubble.

Last edited by 17of26: 02-25-2013 at 08:59 AM.
17of26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well I've never played ball hockey but since you asked...

Balls don't fly like pucks. They don't fly flat like frisbees. You can scoop them too. So a lot of ice and roller ideas go out the window. I know when I shot around in a tennis court, I couldn't take a wrist shot, only snap and slap shots.

I'd probably run a P88 or other neutral mid curve. The ball probably gets up quick enough without loft.

You want something durable too, and probably a two-piece so you can replace the blade. Full ABS blades suck, but I don't know which composites today are very durable. I can tell you I had an old Bauer XXXX tapered blade that I used to play on a tennis court with my kid and the bottom wore down maybe 1/4" and it was still plenty usable.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote