HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Referees & Rules

Old
01-21-2013, 05:08 PM
fryer98

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
That's the problem with this thread, all the different jurisdictions have varying rules.
I agree. The other problem is, unless video is shown here, we can't say exactly how we would have called a play or how it should have been called.

fryer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:26 AM
finnishdman

Quote:
I'm pretty sure a 2+10 for diving does not exist in the rules of any governing body
Here in Finland, some refs give automatically a 10 min misconduct for diving.

finnishdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:20 AM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryer98 View Post
I agree. The other problem is, unless video is shown here, we can't say exactly how we would have called a play or how it should have been called.
And of course the player will be massively biased and what they post is probably completely different to what actually happened

- ixcuincle
Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Malreg

Can a linesman override another linesman on an off-side call?

The scenario:

Player is skating the puck towards the zone, gets taken down against the boards shy of the blue line. His teammate that was trailing him picked up the puck and continued the rush while the player who fell down is sliding towards the blue line.

The linesman on the blue line had to back into the zone a few feet to avoid the player that was sliding forward. The teammate that picked up the puck carried the puck in before the other players body was completely over the line, and the linesman waved off the off-side. The back linesman, who was all the way across the ice and at the far blue line blew the play off-side after the one who was closest to the play waved it off.

His explanation was that he judged that the closest linesman was no longer in the right position to make the call so he called it offside.

Thoughts?

My reaction was if the nearest linesman was no longer in position to make the call(he had to move all of 5 feet into the zone to avoid the player), then why did he wave it off in the first place?

Malreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:43 PM
mbhhofr

Make the call only if the Linesman, who is responsible for the blue line is out of position and UNABLE to make the call. The Linesman who is on the other side of the ice shouldn't make a habit of doing it.

In how you describe it, the Linesman, who's line it was, was able to make the call and he waved it off.

You also state that the player's body was not completely across the line. The player's skates determine whether it's an offside or not. If both of his skates were not completely over the line, while he was sliding into the zone, he was not offside. If one skate is in the zone and the other skate is in contact with the ice and not completely over the line, when the puck is carried across the line, he is not offside. If one skate is in the zone and the other skate not completely over the line, but not in contact with the ice, when the puck is carried across the line, then he is offside.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malreg View Post

The scenario:

Player is skating the puck towards the zone, gets taken down against the boards shy of the blue line. His teammate that was trailing him picked up the puck and continued the rush while the player who fell down is sliding towards the blue line.

The linesman on the blue line had to back into the zone a few feet to avoid the player that was sliding forward. The teammate that picked up the puck carried the puck in before the other players body was completely over the line, and the linesman waved off the off-side. The back linesman, who was all the way across the ice and at the far blue line blew the play off-side after the one who was closest to the play waved it off.

His explanation was that he judged that the closest linesman was no longer in the right position to make the call so he called it offside.

Thoughts?

My reaction was if the nearest linesman was no longer in position to make the call(he had to move all of 5 feet into the zone to avoid the player), then why did he wave it off in the first place?
There is nothing in the rules that says you can't, but you shouldn't do it. If your partner has clearly waved it off, you should not discredit them, it makes them look stupid and you should always back them up. If your partner does not make any signal and is out of position, go ahead and call it.

I just let my partner do their own thing and call their own line, even if the benches moan that he's missed something and it looks offside from my position I will just say not my call. Of course I come down to cover the line when I have to.

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 01-22-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old
01-22-2013, 03:05 PM
TheGreatOutlaw

Last night in beer league we went to a 7 round shootout. We had to score to tie. It was 5-4 them. The ref closet to the goalie called it a goal,but the head ref half way across the rink at center ice said it was no goal. The go did not count and we got hosed. The puck hit the top crossbar and went downward, which I always thought it was a goal on the motion. The ref who waived no goal plays with several players on the team on a different night and team. We approached the league commissioner and he said there is not anything he can do. Does this seem like a correct call or logical?

TheGreatOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatOutlaw View Post
Last night in beer league we went to a 7 round shootout. We had to score to tie. It was 5-4 them. The ref closet to the goalie called it a goal,but the head ref half way across the rink at center ice said it was no goal. The go did not count and we got hosed. The puck hit the top crossbar and went downward, which I always thought it was a goal on the motion. The ref who waived no goal plays with several players on the team on a different night and team. We approached the league commissioner and he said there is not anything he can do. Does this seem like a correct call or logical?
That's BS, referee on the goal line has to make the decision.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:16 PM
TheGreatOutlaw

That is what we said.

TheGreatOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:38 PM
fryer98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malreg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post
The Linesman who is on the other side of the ice shouldn't make a habit of doing it.
Quote:
There is nothing in the rules that says you can't, but you shouldn't do it.
This is always a tough situation and discussed with refs often. In the end, you want to have the CORRECT call be made on the ice.

I hate to say it but the situation of the game and my partner would be factors in this. Also, as stated, I wouldn't make a habit or doing it at all. If I was the back linesman in the situation above and I was 100% sure it was offsides, I would blow the play dead and make the correct call. If I was anything less than 100% sure on my call, I would let my partner's call stand.

On the other side of the situation, if I was the linesman making the call at my line and my partner blew it dead saying he was 100% sure on his call, I would be fine with him doing so. I know a lot of other refs that would not agree with me on that one though and would be upset someone discredited their call.

fryer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

bumping the thread to share this

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/0...il-of-cookies/