HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Why is this (regarding emergency backup goalies)?

Old
11-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Flyerfan4life

vCash: 500
Why is this (regarding emergency backup goalies)?

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...d=35&id=189874

hopefully the vid link works..

im curious why an emergency backup goalie can only be used once ???

what is the reasoning behind not allowing an emergency callup to ever be used again ?

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-19-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:17 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
The video didn't relate to the question. Are you asking why goalies who are emergency callups can't be used a second time? If so, a goalie who signs one-day contract per NHL rule must have no prior NHL experience because of waiver rules. Once a player signs the one-day pact, he becomes a professional and loses eligibility as an amateur. This "emergency recall" is separate from a goalie already in the system who temporarily replaces a goalie on the NHL roster.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-21-2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: clarification
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Flyerfan4life

sorry yea the video mentioned what i asked about..

i didnt put 2 n 2 together i guess..

still it seems weird that a player can only be used once in that role.

but i guess theres no lack of beer league goalies looking for a chance to be a star for a nite.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:38 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
I would be interested to learn if an emergency call up ever got a chance to play!

11-20-2012, 12:43 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I would be interested to learn if an emergency call up ever got a chance to play!
I'm sure MSE can answer. I'm pretty sure coaches have suited up in the past, right? I don't know if it's happened under the current rules, but it would still be possible since most coaches should be outside the waiver rules by this point.

11-20-2012, 09:24 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
There have been instances in Flyers' history where emergency goalies dressed for games. These are among them though there are others, too:

In 1968 at LA: Dennis Roy, an NHL off ice official in Los Angeles where he was on the staff of the Canadian Consulate, served as the Flyers' backup after both Doug Favell and Bernie Parent (who played the entire game) had the flu. Roy wore number 1, which was Favell's number at the time.

In 1972, Bruce Gamble suffered a heart attack during a game and never played again. The team was on a west coast trip. The Flyers searched for a goalie and signed Russ Gillow who was with his WHL team. He was the Flyers' backup for one game at the Oakland Seals.

Late in 1990 against NJ: Dave Settlemyre, the team's trainer, was the backup goalie because scheduled starter Ken Wregget suffered a pulled left hamstring in warmups which sidelined him the rest of the season. Pete Peeters played the entire game.

The team's first game after Pelle Lindbergh died, Bob Froese was injured earlier in the week which meant recall Darren Jensen played against Edmonton. The emergency recall goalie and backup that night was Mike Bloski but he was in the minors prior to being backup until Froese returned.

To answer the question of actually playing, when the Caps dressed their website editor for a game a couple or so years ago, I seem to recall an attached reference mentioned that he would have been the first to play which he did not. So, my guess is that since the NHL went to the two-goalie system in the mid-1960s, it hasn't happened.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Flyerfan4life

i thought the vancouver canucks had a emergency beer league guy who actualy got a chance to play..

maybe im remembering it wrong thou

Old
11-20-2012, 10:42 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
i thought the vancouver canucks had a emergency beer league guy who actualy got a chance to play..

maybe im remembering it wrong thou
Chris Levesque, a back-up goalie for UBC, was called up in an emergency capacity in 2003. Dan Cloutier was injured in the morning practice and the Canucks would have re-called a goalie from the farm, but the Manitoba Moose were on the east coast. Levesque almost got the chance to play when Johan Hedberg made a ill-advised rush to play a puck 20 feet in front of his net and was injured in a collision; he stayed in the game after a couple minutes of on-ice treatment, though.

Levesque didn't looked thrilled at the prospect of having to replace Hedberg.

11-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Chris Levesque, a back-up goalie for UBC, was called up in an emergency capacity in 2003. Dan Cloutier was injured in the morning practice and the Canucks would have re-called a goalie from the farm, but the Manitoba Moose were on the east coast. Levesque almost got the chance to play when Johan Hedberg made a ill-advised rush to play a puck 20 feet in front of his net and was injured in a collision; he stayed in the game after a couple minutes of on-ice treatment, though.

Levesque didn't looked thrilled at the prospect of having to replace Hedberg.
ahh yea that sounds like the story i was remembering

Old
11-21-2012, 03:00 PM
kicksave27

As a beerleague goalie, it would be a cooll story to dress for a game, participate in warmups, get a jersey, maybe a photo or something the the locker room, but I would definitely be praying that I didn't have to go in. I have no delusions of grandeur, it would be an unmitigated disaster. The fans would actually be hoping for Leighton after the 1st.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote