HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

One documentary and one book that don't get the attention they deserve

Old
09-29-2012, 04:06 PM
DisgruntledGoat

vCash: 500
One documentary and one book that don't get the attention they deserve

The documentary: CBC's The New Ice Age: A Year in the Life of the NHL

I thought this was ****ing brilliant, and I'd love to see the concept re-visited. A top-to-bottom 'behind the scenes' examination of the NHL from the boardroom, to the draft floor, to training camp.

Its funny how it kind of came out and then kind of disappeared from popular memory and popular conversation. Personally, this is far more interesting to me than finding out what Alex Ovechkin's house looks like on the much more famous 24/7.

You can watch the first part here:

The book: Roy MacGregor's Road Games: A Year in the Life of the NHL

Coincidentally, follows the same idea: following the NHL through the 1992-93 season, but this focuses more on the storylines and controversies that arise throughout the regular season and playoffs. 1993 was a pretty eventful year with Lemieux's battle with cancer, a big influx of European stars, the Dan Quinn sexual assault scandal, and Lindros. Very compelling, and well-written. I've always thought it should be considered one of the real classics of hockey writing, but I'm not sure its remembered at all.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 11:28 PM
Jinsell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
The documentary: CBC's The New Ice Age: A Year in the Life of the NHL

I thought this was ****ing brilliant, and I'd love to see the concept re-visited. A top-to-bottom 'behind the scenes' examination of the NHL from the boardroom, to the draft floor, to training camp.

Its funny how it kind of came out and then kind of disappeared from popular memory and popular conversation. Personally, this is far more interesting to me than finding out what Alex Ovechkin's house looks like on the much more famous 24/7.

You can watch the first part here:

The book: Roy MacGregor's Road Games: A Year in the Life of the NHL

Coincidentally, follows the same idea: following the NHL through the 1992-93 season, but this focuses more on the storylines and controversies that arise throughout the regular season and playoffs. 1993 was a pretty eventful year with Lemieux's battle with cancer, a big influx of European stars, the Dan Quinn sexual assault scandal, and Lindros. Very compelling, and well-written. I've always thought it should be considered one of the real classics of hockey writing, but I'm not sure its remembered at all.
Haven't seen the documentary but I read Road Games: A Year in the Life of the NHL in university and I think it may be one of my favourite hockey books out there. It is excellent.

Jinsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 01:39 AM
LeBlondeDemon10

Net Worth

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 12:31 PM
angrymnky

Liked part one. Hope more shows up.

angrymnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Kloparren
Hth

I was watching that Year In The Life vid part 1 and enjoyed it. Pretty good stuff, nothing ground breaking outside of the phone conversations between GM's and stuff. I can't believe Bill Watters the guy who's losing more and more credentials in media was the Leafs GM lol. Also Milbury's trading philosophy.....meh. Although not trading that pick worked out better for him, too bad he messed it up and moved Luongo.

Any more stuff from the 90s or early 2000's would be great btw. I know ESPN did a The Season on the Colorado Avalanche in that 03/04 season, two part documentaries which were an hour long.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 04:27 AM
MarkusNaslund19

Always been a big fan of both. Great picks.

MarkusNaslund19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 05:20 AM
PhilaFlyers

Another very underrated doc:
Hockey Nomad Goes to Russia

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Kloparren
Hth

I wanted to make a new thread focusing on hockey history clips online (not necessarily documentaries) but a mod will probably just merge that so I'll post in here. A separate thread for posing clips and documentaries outside of the one's everyone knows would be nice though. I wanted to start it due to this one I found, it's a very recent panel discussing the '72 summit series, not a documentary.:

This is part 1 of Cherry's first Rock Em Sock Em videos. Rest are up on YT. It's from 1989.

This is a short documentary about the Nordiques called Conflict On Ice from the 70s:
This is about the Quebec Nordiques from the 70s:
http://www.nfb.ca/film/just_another_job/

We have a valuable resource to watch these online so it would be nice if they could be indexed in a thread for everyone to learn about the game's past.

The famous docs that are up on youtube in their entirety:, Hockey A People's History (10 parts), Legends of Hockey (focus on many many star players and their bio), Broadstreet Bullies, NHL Expansion 1967, A Year in the Life of the NHL Part 1 (I don't think 2 was ever made), Do you Believe In Miracles: The Story of the 1980s US Mens Hockey Team, The Original 6 NHL era, Summit On Ice (this one is up on Netflix not Youtube but there are plenty of Summit Series vids up on there)

The 4 main movies I believe all made by CBC are The Rocket, Net Worth (older one from 1995 but great film, about Ted Lindsay and the formation of the PA), Canada-Russia Summite '72, and The Don Cherry Story (I'm fairly sure that much of the last one is exagerrated and more fictional than the rest).

This is Dick Irvin for "Hockey Magazine" talking about old hockey clips in an old hockey clip:

Old
12-06-2012, 11:23 PM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 613
Thanks for all the good tips guys!

Here is one about Mario Lemieux, Penguin made and gutsily called "Mario Lemieux-The Best. Ever." It's quite a highlight-reel i must say although also a timeline and some of his teammates, Mike Lange and narrator Paul Steigerwald is there all the time to comment on what we see.

Last edited by Darth Yoda: 12-06-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:20 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
Another very underrated doc:
Hockey Nomad Goes to Russia

In part two we see a twelve year old Evgeni Kuznetsov! Just a bit into this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT3M_...utu.be&t=2m20s

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Big Phil

I remember CBC's "A Year in the Life of the NHL". I can remember taping every one of those segments on VHS. I loved them. The crazy thing about that is you can look back at stuff. This was in 1998 and they profiled an up and comer and it was Jarrett Stoll. I will never forget the comment they made saying: "A lot of people say he's the next Wayne Gretzky". The rest of the documentary was good too. Lots of following Ron Wilson and the Capitals.

As for documentaries not mentioned yet I would say "Forever Rivals". It was done in 1996 and profiled the all-time rivalry of the Habs and Leafs. It featured former player interviews and recapped the whole career of each franchise and the big moments when they faced each other. Really well done.

Books for me would be "Let's Talk Hockey 50 Wonderful Debates." A classic popcorn read type of book. Easy to read, and like a candy store for hockey junkies.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:17 PM
thom

A cbc movie staring Al Waxman called NET WORTH very well done telling the story about players fighting for a union.Detroit redwings players like Ted Linsday and others trying to fight then Gordie Howe doing nothing and acting like a sheep.The movie is taken from a best selling book in canada.Al Waxman is very good

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
A cbc movie staring Al Waxman called NET WORTH very well done telling the story about players fighting for a union.Detroit redwings players like Ted Linsday and others trying to fight then Gordie Howe doing nothing and acting like a sheep.The movie is taken from a best selling book in canada.Al Waxman is very good
I'll bet neither Donald Fehr or Bob Goodenow watched that movie. This is what a REAL fight for survival against the owners looks like. The movie might be a little too hard on Howe as well. Yes he could have stood up with Lindsay a bit more, but this was a different time. Gordie was brainwashed by the owners. It wasn't as if he was the only player in the NHL who was against a union. In the end no one wanted one, just Lindsay.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Kloparren
Hth

^ That movie is the reason why my avatar atm features Terrible Ted (and I'm an Avs fan).

Anyways, this is a documentary I found recently called Stanley Cup A Century of Magic from 1993.

And a short clip of the Flyers:

Old
12-10-2012, 11:53 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Road Games probably influenced my view of the NHL more than any other book. I still re-read it from time to time.

The book "Home Game: Hockey and Life in Canada" which MacGregor wrote together with Ken Dryden in 1990 I believe always felt sort of like a prequel to it. That's also a very insightful book though it is more philosophical and more about Canadian society than about the inside workings of the league - though a number of intriguing chapters deal with those too.

Those books are extremely valuable if you want to understand the current NHL. Though Dryden and MacGregor aren't unbiased and I disagree with them on some points, they are both insiders and those books were written at the pivotal time of NHL modernization when expansion, the "Southern strategy" and, by 1993, Gary Bettman had entered the picture.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:51 AM
Canadarocks

I LOVE Net Worth! I think I sometimes weird people out because I reference it so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I'll bet neither Donald Fehr or Bob Goodenow watched that movie. This is what a REAL fight for survival against the owners looks like. The movie might be a little too hard on Howe as well. Yes he could have stood up with Lindsay a bit more, but this was a different time. Gordie was brainwashed by the owners. It wasn't as if he was the only player in the NHL who was against a union. In the end no one wanted one, just Lindsay.
I don't think it's so much that they didn't want a union as much as they didn't understand what a union was. This was the 1950s after all, around the time of MacCarthyism. Jack Adams and Bruce Norris didn't help by basically outright lying.

I think the biggest problem with the treatment of Gordie Howe was that it makes it look like he ended the association himself. The book just states that all the players on the Red Wings rejected it.

Bob McGowan's book on hockey arguments says that, in the past NHL players were like soldiers fighting for the crest on their uniforms while today they see themselves as business partners and that they're in they're in this together regardless of what team they're on. Whether that's actually true or not, Net Worth seems to have that same viewpoint and shows the time when the shift started.

First there's the basic premise of enemies from rival teams uniting against a common enemy-the management. Then there's the scene where the Toronto Maple Leafs vote to unionize. Conn Smythe tells them that the team is like a family and not to let "this rabblerouser" jeapordize it. Ted Lindsay responds by saying "We're a family. The players." They vote to unionize.

I think the film is biased and it most notably shows by omission. For example, Jack Adams refers to the Montreal Canadians as "Frogs" twice and that's surely a way to make him seem unsympathetic. Meanwhile, Ted Lindsay never says anything like that and apprently did a lot in real life (I'm not sure about off the ice though and he never played the Canadiens in the film). It also shows the unhappy fates of Busher Jackson and Doug Harvey with the implication that it was all the owners fault. I'm sure they didn't help but those two guys had a lot of other problems that contributed.

The bad guys were all kind of cartoonish but that also made them quite funny. I especially like the guy who played Bruce Norris. Even in scenes where he's not the focus, you can see him acting. I love the way he looks so bored at the meetings when they're talking about management stuff. The film doesn't explicitly state it but you get the impression that he's a spoiled lazy rich kid whose father left him a hockey team that he doesn't really care about except to collect money from. He hates having to go to those boring meeting and would rather just get drunk so he's perfectly fine with letting his corrupt brother run things. However, when it looks like things will actually affect him, he steps things up and actually does a decent job.

Wow, I wrote a lot! When i get talking about that movie, I have a hard time stopping.

Canadarocks is offline   Reply With Quote