HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rakhshani to SJ

Old
11-23-2012, 11:24 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Rakhshani to SJ

SJ fans say their team wants to get younger and faster.

Any interest in Rhett Rakhshani? The 5'10 winger has good speed and skill. He had two good seasons in the AHL, before going to play for HV71 Jonkoping this season. He's their leading scorer with 9 g and 12 assists.HV71 Jonkoping sits atop the SEL standings.

There was no place for Rhett Rakhshani in the isles top 9 and with Nino/Nelson/KK headed to the AHL, he was being bumped down the prospect depth chart at Bridgeport. Imo that's probably why he choose to play in Europe instead of the AHL this season.

So, SJ fans, a 3rd for Rakhshani?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 500
A guy that is 24, drafted in the 4th round, and can't crack the lineup right now is not going to get a 3rd round pick. He's a throw-in for a larger deal or worth a similar prospect from the Sharks' side or a 6th round pick.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

I never thought of him as being fast.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 01:01 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
A guy that is 24, drafted in the 4th round, and can't crack the lineup right now is not going to get a 3rd round pick. He's a throw-in for a larger deal or worth a similar prospect from the Sharks' side or a 6th round pick.
He's proven he can score at the AHL level. In both of his full AHL seasons, he led his team in pts. He's also proving he can score in a the SEL, leading his team in pts and to the top of the standings.

He's caught up in a numbers game with the NYI organization: he's not bumping any of the top 6 players out of their spots and lacks the size or grit that Ullstrom/Cizikas/Martin bring to the 3rd line.

Old
11-23-2012, 01:04 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
He's proven he can score at the AHL level. In both of his full AHL seasons, he led his team in pts. He's also proving he can score in a the SEL, leading his team in pts and to the top of the standings.

He's caught up in a numbers game with the NYI organization: he's not bumping any of the top 6 players out of their spots and lacks the size or grit that Ullstrom/Cizikas/Martin bring to the 3rd line.
That doesn't really matter much. If he can't crack the Islanders, his value will not be more than what he was drafted at. I'd say you could get a 5th round pick at best as of right now.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:

So if he can't crack the Islanders' lineup, what makes you think he can crack San Jose's? Like I said, he can have all the pre-NHL accomplishments he wants, if he's not making a big club at 24, his value is diminished from his draft spot.

Old
11-23-2012, 01:38 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
That doesn't really matter much. If he can't crack the Islanders, his value will not be more than what he was drafted at. I'd say you could get a 5th round pick at best as of right now.

At 5'10 Rhett would need to play top 6 mins on LI. Which top 6 player would he have bumped?

Moulson coming off 3 straight seasons, of at least 30 goals?
KO, coming off a career high 24 goals season and providing aggressive board play?
Grabner, who's scored 54 goals over the last 2 seasons?
Tavares?
Nielsen, coming off a 47 pt season and going up against other team's top lines?
Bailey, who Snow indicated will get a long look at 2nd lw?

Old
11-23-2012, 01:41 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Not an SJ fan, but they have Thornton, Pavelski, Clowe, Marleau, Couture, Havlat. Who would have to be dumped?

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 01:41 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
So if he can't crack the Islanders' lineup, what makes you think he can crack San Jose's? Like I said, he can have all the pre-NHL accomplishments he wants, if he's not making a big club at 24, his value is diminished from his draft spot.
Jared Spurgeon was a small, skilled NYI blueline prospect, who the team liked but had no room for. Too many similar blueline prospects.

He's looked pretty nice in Minn. top 4, since leaving the isles organization.

That ' if he can't make the isles' argument, doesn't really hold up when you consider team prospect depth and team needs.

Old
11-23-2012, 01:43 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
At 5'10 Rhett would need to play top 6 mins on LI. Which top 6 player would he have bumped?

KO, coming off a career high 24 goals season and providing aggressive board play?
Tavares?
Therefore he'd also have to play top-6 minutes in SJ, which obviously isn't happening.

Ergo, thanks-but-no-thanks.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 01:44 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Not an SJ fan, but they have Thornton, Pavelski, Clowe, Marleau, Couture, Havlat. Who would have to be dumped?
According to SJ fans, they need to add some youth and some speed.

I've no idea which Sharks are closing in on unrestricted free agency, which ones would be trade bait to fill other team needs or how their team salary structure shapes up.

Rhett for a 3rd, is hardly a major deal.

Old
11-23-2012, 01:47 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Therefore he'd also have to play top-6 minutes in SJ, which obviously isn't happening.

Ergo, thanks-but-no-thanks.
Alright, we'll chalk this one up to another NYI/SJ thread, that fans can't agree on.

Old
11-23-2012, 01:56 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:

Tavares?
So he's a small, limited player that has to have top 6 minutes. And you somehow think he has value?

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 01:57 PM

A 3rd seems pretty unlikely for a guy who would possibly clear waivers.

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 02:05 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
So he's a small, limited player that has to have top 6 minutes. And you somehow think he has value?
The same player who led his AHL team in scoring in 2010-2011 and 2011-2012.
The same player who currently leads his SEL team in scoring, in 2012-2013.

Yes, I think a 3rd is fair, considering he looks NHL ready and has nothing left to prove at either the AHL level and looks so good in the SEL.

There is a 12% chance, of that 3rd rounder making it to the NHL and contributing.

Good thing I didn't ask for a 2nd
http://proicehockey.about.com/od/pro...ft_success.htm

Old
11-23-2012, 02:12 PM
startainfection

i originally thought the isles were going to use rhakshani as a stop gap between PaP and strome or who ever eventually is ready for that, i think he is capable of being a very good support player

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 02:42 PM
seafoam

vCash: 1000
I can see him having a Parenteau-like career where he bounces around the minors for a while before getting an oppurtunity on a team with a weak top six. I can see Phoenix giving us a late pick replace Steve Sullivan if we don't have a season.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Jared Spurgeon was a small, skilled NYI blueline prospect, who the team liked but had no room for. Too many similar blueline prospects.

He's looked pretty nice in Minn. top 4, since leaving the isles organization.

That ' if he can't make the isles' argument, doesn't really hold up when you consider team prospect depth and team needs.
Spurgeon was also 21 when he left the Islanders, not 24 with next to no NHL experience. Vastly different cases. But the concept that he'd make the Sharks club when he can't crack the Isles is a bit baffling. Where would he fit because it won't be in the top six and they've got plenty of players like him that can competently fill in the bottom six if they don't get someone in free agency.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:07 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
The same player who led his AHL team in scoring in 2010-2011 and 2011-2012.
The same player who currently leads his SEL team in scoring, in 2012-2013.

Yes, I think a 3rd is fair, considering he looks NHL ready and has nothing left to prove at either the AHL level and looks so good in the SEL.

There is a 12% chance, of that 3rd rounder making it to the NHL and contributing.

Good thing I didn't ask for a 2nd
http://proicehockey.about.com/od/pro...ft_success.htm
I'd rather keep him. We could use the depth, especially when the games start up again and guys like Nino and possibly Nelson get called up.

IMO having him as a possible safety net is more important than another 3rd rounder. A 2nd rounder maybe, since we lost ours, but not a 3rd. Just doesn't seem too necessary.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:53 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Spurgeon was also 21 when he left the Islanders, not 24 with next to no NHL experience. Vastly different cases. But the concept that he'd make the Sharks club when he can't crack the Isles is a bit baffling. Where would he fit because it won't be in the top six and they've got plenty of players like him that can competently fill in the bottom six if they don't get someone in free agency.
Spurgeon developed in juniors, while Rakhshani went to college.

And Shark fans have said they want to add youth and speed. Isles/Shark fans have discussed Grabner to SJ proposals, but that's not likely to happen, with the isles losing Parenteau's scoring and with Grabner's 2nd and 3rd yrs yrs being very team friendly. I thought Rakhshani to SJ was a trade that could benefit both teams and was realistic.

Rakhshani hasn't made the isles because he has not been able to bump any of the top 6 out of the way and he lacks the size/ grit the isles want in the bottom 6. That doesn't mean he doesn't have promise. It means that like Spurgeon, his way is blocked on the depth chart.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:56 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I'd rather keep him. We could use the depth, especially when the games start up again and guys like Nino and possibly Nelson get called up.

IMO having him as a possible safety net is more important than another 3rd rounder. A 2nd rounder maybe, since we lost ours, but not a 3rd. Just doesn't seem too necessary.
I doubt Rakhshani leaves his SEL team for Bridgeport.
From what someone posted, the players over in Europe can make $250,000.

That's gotta be a lot more appealing then riding the AHL buses and making $60,000-$70,000.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:57 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Spurgeon developed in juniors, while Rakhshani went to college.

And Shark fans have said they want to add youth and speed. Isles/Shark fans have discussed Grabner to SJ proposals, but that's not likely to happen, with the isles losing Parenteau's scoring and with Grabner's 2nd and 3rd yrs yrs being very team friendly. I thought Rakhshani to SJ was a trade that could benefit both teams and was realistic.

Rakhshani hasn't made the isles because he has not been able to bump any of the top 6 out of the way and he lacks the size/ grit the isles want in the bottom 6. That doesn't mean he doesn't have promise. It means that like Spurgeon, his way is blocked on the depth chart.
We want young and fast NHL players not AHL players. Rakhshani wouldn't displace any of our top 6 players anyway.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
So why would it be any different in SJ? Who would he bump out? Minnesota obviously had a need for a guy like Spurgeon, and just because this scenario happened once recently involving your team doesn't mean it's bound to happen for every prospect facing the same challenge.

Ludicrous Speed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:28 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
I doubt Rakhshani leaves his SEL team for Bridgeport.
From what someone posted, the players over in Europe can make $250,000.

That's gotta be a lot more appealing then riding the AHL buses and making $60,000-$70,000.
True, but his chance to play in the NHL is arguably one injury to a top-6 winger away. Unless he thinks the better route would be to tear up the SEL for a few years and hope an NHL team takes a chance on him, which I suppose is possible. Personally I think he'd be smart to go the Bridgeport route for at least another year, and if it doesn't work out then he can head back to Sweden. He's only 24, so he has a lot of time.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:35 PM
BruinsBtn

I've watched him play a few times and he's a good prospect. If he could have stayed healthy, I think he would be in the NHL.

I'd toss at third out there for sure.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote