HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Don Cherry to players: "Smarten up!"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-23-2012, 10:46 AM
  #1
SarcazemKadri
Registered User
 
SarcazemKadri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 740
vCash: 500
Don Cherry to players: "Smarten up!"

Don Cherry provides an article for the star.

For the most part I agree, players are only hurting the cause by insulting Gary personally. Especially with the hats..

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...ers-smarten-up

SarcazemKadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:53 AM
  #2
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke
 
Nazem Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Francais-land
Country: France
Posts: 10,039
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:
P.S.: By the way, Nazem Kadri was player of the week in the American Hockey League. Eleven points in five games. Thank you.


Amazing.

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:58 AM
  #3
guitarist37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 219
vCash: 500
^^^ haha exactly what i was thinking

guitarist37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:01 AM
  #4
AmazedRink
Nifty Mittens,ATTACK
 
AmazedRink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,223
vCash: 500
Woot kadri getting props

AmazedRink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:16 AM
  #5
Antropovsky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post


Amazing.
Don cherry is the man.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:27 AM
  #6
NaiveLeafsFan
Registered User
 
NaiveLeafsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ajax, UofT
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post


Amazing.
What a beauty

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:30 AM
  #7
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK
 
legendinblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,093
vCash: 50
Would you say Don depicts how the average fan feels about this mess?

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:32 AM
  #8
ALine
Registered User
 
ALine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,122
vCash: 500
Yea, all these call outs and the hats are making the players seem very immature. They're trying far to hard to play the victim card, and its makes them come off as shallow. Like Cherry said, the real victims of this lockout are the working class who rely on the game to make a living. The arena staff not working due to empty buildings,etc. Any goodwill the players had amongst fans is fading fast. Some of them are starting to show their true colours.
It will take two parties two hammer out a new deal, the way the players are putting the entire onus on the league will not get a deal done. Don't be part of ther problem, be part of the solution.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:34 AM
  #9
ALine
Registered User
 
ALine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
Would you say Don depicts how the average fan feels about this mess?
I would say so. I would also say Cherry is the man and a true icon and great spokesperson for the sport in general.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:00 PM
  #10
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,857
vCash: 500
This is the worst it has been in terms of a strike/lockout through out all my years of watching hockey. The players are going to have to move, think the owners are pretty set on reducing salaries and sharing.

48 season NJ cup this year? Maybe, the positive is we only have to watch half a season of mediocre hockey for this year's tank. At this stage with what is looking like 3 months lost in the season, I am all for tanking the season and drafting Mackinnon.

Then we can retool by trading Kessel, Lupul, and my favorite no intangible 50 pt player Grabo to contenders to change the chemistry of this losing team.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:13 PM
  #11
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
This is the worst it has been in terms of a strike/lockout through out all my years of watching hockey. The players are going to have to move, think the owners are pretty set on reducing salaries and sharing.

48 season NJ cup this year? Maybe, the positive is we only have to watch half a season of mediocre hockey for this year's tank. At this stage with what is looking like 3 months lost in the season, I am all for tanking the season and drafting Mackinnon.

Then we can retool by trading Kessel, Lupul, and my favorite no intangible 50 pt player Grabo to contenders to change the chemistry of this losing team.
Wow. Let's trade Phil Kessel who just finished 6th in league scoring. You really think it's Phil's fault? Get the team goaltending and they're fine.

Let's trade Phil for magical picks! Picks are so wonderful...

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:17 PM
  #12
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Wow. Let's trade Phil Kessel who just finished 6th in league scoring. You really think it's Phil's fault? Get the team goaltending and they're fine.

Let's trade Phil for magical picks! Picks are so wonderful...
Or we can sign him to a lifelong contract of at least 7M per maybe more if the players win the current bargaining session and tie him up. There are so many variables at work, Getzlaf, Perry, new CBA. Think man instead of the usual standard stoick answer.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:20 PM
  #13
darrylsittler27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,042
vCash: 500
I dont think anyone is blaming Phil.

His value is high and this team is improperly built.You build around a center a number one dman and a top goalie,not a high flying winger.

If we were offered the first or second pick for Kessel this year,I would look at it.Why?Because we are at that point in the rebuild.This team is years away without a number one center.

On the strike,the owners will win.They make their money elsewhere then many lose money in hockey.You want to know who can afford to wait the longest?The owners can.This display by the players says more about them than Bettman.If they think they have the fans sympathy in the middle of a recession,dream on.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:26 PM
  #14
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Or we can sign him to a lifelong contract of at least 7M per maybe more if the players win the current bargaining session and tie him up. There are so many variables at work, Getzlaf, Perry, new CBA. Think man instead of the usual standard stoick answer.
I'm fine with that. He deserves it. We're the richest franchise. I will not accept not giving our best market market value.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:27 PM
  #15
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
His value is high and this team is improperly built.You build around a center a number one dman and a top goalie,not a high flying winger.

If we were offered the first or second pick for Kessel this year,I would look at it.Why?Because we are at that point in the rebuild.This team is years away without a number one center.

On the strike,the owners will win.They make their money elsewhere then many lose money in hockey.You want to know who can afford to wait the longest?The owners can.This display by the players says more about them than Bettman.If they think they have the fans sympathy in the middle of a recession,dream on.
Who says we're building around him? We very well might draft a #1 Centre next June.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:28 PM
  #16
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,449
vCash: 500
Grapes with a beauty of a comment regarding Naz

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:47 PM
  #17
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome
 
LeafsMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Grapes with a beauty of a comment regarding Naz
a great confidence booster for Naz. Gotta love that Don's got his back!

LeafsMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 01:23 PM
  #18
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,208
vCash: 500
I wouldn't trade Kessel for anything outside of the first or second pick. Whatever gets us Mackinnon.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 01:49 PM
  #19
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
His value is high and this team is improperly built.You build around a center a number one dman and a top goalie,not a high flying winger.

If we were offered the first or second pick for Kessel this year,I would look at it.Why?Because we are at that point in the rebuild.This team is years away without a number one center.

On the strike,the owners will win.They make their money elsewhere then many lose money in hockey.You want to know who can afford to wait the longest?The owners can.This display by the players says more about them than Bettman.If they think they have the fans sympathy in the middle of a recession,dream on.
Decent post, you can't trade leftovers and expect to get back a prime rib meal. I congratulate you for atleast be willing to let go of players to get us to the ultimate goal. #logical

I would rather being attached to winning, than be sentimentally attached to players. Obviously this mix hasn't working.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 02:09 PM
  #20
Dayjobdave
Registered User
 
Dayjobdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsMonster View Post
a great confidence booster for Naz. Gotta love that Don's got his back!
I think it's pretty funny that he describes the team's handling of Naz as the worst he has ever seen, while the kid is developing and scoring player of the week honors in the A instead of being locked out and not playing at all

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:01 PM
  #21
Kingstonian84*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
While the NHLPA deserves a lot of the blame for this mess so does the NHL as well. Both sides have been extremely greedy, selfish and outright immature with how they have conducted themselves since negotations began months ago, I don't symptahize with either side.

See heres the thing when (not if) a new deal is reached it will be 50/50 or close to it, so why not settle now and stop all this BS? I really hope both sides learn two key things here: 1) Start negotations a year before the CBA expires 2) Have a binding negotatier to issue a ruling if both sides can't come to an agreement a month after the CBA expires.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:02 PM
  #22
Darcy Tucker
Registered User
 
Darcy Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,373
vCash: 500
lol @ people saying we need to rebuild by trading Kessel whos not even 25 and Grabo whos only 28.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:06 PM
  #23
-DeMo-
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,222
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
While the NHLPA deserves a lot of the blame for this mess so does the NHL as well. Both sides have been extremely greedy, selfish and outright immature with how they have conducted themselves since negotations began months ago, I don't symptahize with either side.

See heres the thing when (not if) a new deal is reached it will be 50/50 or close to it, so why not settle now and stop all this BS? I really hope both sides learn two key things here: 1) Start negotations a year before the CBA expires 2) Have a binding negotatier to issue a ruling if both sides can't come to an agreement a month after the CBA expires.
the league wanted to start negotiating a year ago and the PA said they werent ready, it's the PA's fault they waited till late july to start talking

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:50 PM
  #24
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main
 
indigobuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winnipeg MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
the league wanted to start negotiating a year ago and the PA said they werent ready, it's the PA's fault they waited till late july to start talking
The NHLPA held off the commencement of negotiations until after the current CBA expired in order to force the hand of owners/GMs in resigning as many players to as many possible contracts before the new CBA began. This meant that players were given contracts based on what they were worth under the old CBA, rather than the potential new CBA which appears to be a smaller cap, rollback type CBA where players would get a lot less.

While a lot of people can pomp about being stoic in the face of money over "love of the game" I would be hard pressed to find someone willing to risk millions of dollars and possibly their livelihood in order to make a bunch of people, that otherwise don't care at all about them, happy.

These aren't Oompaloopas at a Chocolate Factory, these are people earning a living.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:01 PM
  #25
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main
 
indigobuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winnipeg MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Or we can sign him to a lifelong contract of at least 7M per maybe more if the players win the current bargaining session and tie him up. There are so many variables at work, Getzlaf, Perry, new CBA. Think man instead of the usual standard stoick answer.
I'm assuming you are agreeing with him? Or you missed the sarcasm? Why else would the potential signing of Perry or Getzlaf or signing Kessel to a $7M/yr multi-year deal mean we should get rid of Kessel.

Would Getzlaf or Perry come to Toronto if the Leafs traded Kessel for picks? I don't think so.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.