HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

2014 horse racing talk (thread is locked as of August 27, 2014)

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2013, 10:16 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1688
Shanghai Bobby -- remember him? -- won in the third race at Belmont. Headed for the Breeders' Cup, either the Dirt Mile or Sprint. Those are better suited distances for him.

Old
09-25-2013, 06:50 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Richard's Kid was retired.

Departing will take a break after the Oklahoma Derby

Old
09-28-2013, 05:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

It goes without saying how good Royal Delta is, but 1/5 vs. Princess of Sylmar? C'mon...

Would love to see that rematch in a few weeks.

Old
09-29-2013, 10:37 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^ As of now, Wise Dan and Game on Dude should be 1-2 in some order...

Quote:
Should we consider Princess of Sylmar as one of the contenders for Horse of the Year?

The 3-year-old filly, winner of the Alabama Stakes at Saratoga in her last start, was the star of Super Saturday at Belmont Park, winning her fourth consecutive Grade 1 race in the Beldame Invitational Stakes.

In doing so, she handily defeated reigning two-time Eclipse champion Royal Delta in a powerful performance in the prestigious Beldame.

When 5-year-old Royal Delta cruised to the lead heading into the far turn, she looked on the way to her third consecutive Grade 1 win, her last coming in the Personal Ensign at Saratoga.

But Princess of Sylmar was stalking to her outside, and when she joined Royal Delta in the stretch, the Alabama winner drew off to win by two lengths in a sparkling 1:47 4/5 for 1 1/8 miles.

Royal Delta, favored at 1-to-5, had no answer for her younger rival in the final sixteenth of a mile.

Princess of Sylmar locked up her title as 3-year-old filly champion in the Beldame, defeating older rivals in her first such encounter.

Princess of Sylmar has now captured the Kentucky Oaks, Coaching Club American Oaks, Alabama and Beldame in succession.
http://www.saratogian.com/articles/2...5789624211.txt

Old
09-29-2013, 06:56 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Departing will take a break after the Oklahoma Derby
Entry: Departing.

See: Royal Delta.

Wasn't a good weekend to be a 1-5 shot or a 1-9 shot.

The OK Derby winner paid -- check out these prices -- $8.80 to win, $4.20 place, $30 to show. You don't see that every day.

Old
09-29-2013, 07:35 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

There was some sort of chaos at Belmont at the end of the card. A horse, the favorite, lost a shoe, and they didn't see it until they got to the gate. So, they just circled the horse around announced that the horse was running for purse money only, and then they rang the bell and ran the race. Bettors in pick 5's and pick 6's didn't have a chance to change their bets, and got stuck with the favorite who didn't run well. Meanwhile, the horse with the lost shoe (the favorite), wins the race. So, bettors who picked the horse were put on a different horse they couldn't change or refund, watch the horse they picked to win the race.

Simon Bray must have had the horse because he was pretty pissed off on Twitter.

Old
09-29-2013, 07:53 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

After all that, Shanghai Bobby is now retired. I retract my previous statement!

Quote:
Just as he was making his comeback, the 2012 2-year-old champion has suffered a setback that will end his racing career.

Coolmore announced Sunday that Shanghai Bobby was retired to due to a suspensory ligament injury he sustained while winning the Aljamin Stakes on Sept. 20. The son of Harlan’s Holiday was coming off a nearly six-month layoff in the six-and-a-half furlong race at Belmont.
Quote:
Shanghai Bobby, owned by Starlight Racing and Susan Magnier, Michael Tabor and Derrick Smith, will stand at Ashford Stud in Kentucky.

“It’s very disappointing as he ran really well off the layoff and we were looking forward to going back to Santa Anita with him for the Breeders’ Cup Sprint or the Dirt Mile,” trainer Todd Pletcher said in a release. “He was a really great two-year-old, undefeated in five starts over five different distances ranging from 4½ furlongs to 1 1/16 miles. He displayed his brilliant speed in the Hopeful and Champagne and then showed tremendous courage to win the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile.”
http://inthemoneypost.com/shanghai-bobby-retired/

Old
10-05-2013, 04:35 PM
kducks
Duck Off

vCash: 800
Yeah baby....vcash!

Old
10-06-2013, 08:01 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Boo yeah!

A nice performance today in Kentucky by Emollient. She keeps her trend of following losses with victories.

Impressive and yet another from the Unbridled collection. She is headed for the Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Turf in November.

Another steady ride from Mike Smith, too.

--------------------------------------

I don't like the sound of this...

http://www.equibase.com/racingnews/article/View.cfm

Quote:
Gomez Taken Off Mounts After Latest Absence
10/10/2013 5:26 PM ET

Garrett Gomez, who took off his six riding assignments at Santa Anita Park Oct. 6 due to a missed flight from Kentucky, will be off his mounts for the remainder of the week pending a hearing before track stewards.

Gomez won two races at Keeneland Oct. 5, but failed to make his flight to return to Southern California where two of his other mounts won the following day at Santa Anita.

"He's going through personal problems," said his agent, Tony Matos. "He texted me yesterday and said he didn't want to ride for a while."

Gomez is a two-time Eclipse Award winner in 2007-08 as the nation's leading rider and winner of the Shoemaker Award for outstanding performance by a jockey in the 2005, 2007, and 2008 Breeders' Cup World Championships. The 41-year-old Gomez has been dogged by personal issues throughout his career, however. He missed most of June and July during the Betfair Hollywood Park and Del Mar meetings because of alcohol-related issues.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-10-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old
10-18-2013, 09:21 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/br...show-saturday/

Quote:
In honor of the 30th running of the Breeders’ Cup World Championships, NBC Sports Network will televise on Saturday “Daily Racing Form Presents Breeders’ Cup 30-1: Greatest Moments in Breeders’ Cup History.” The one hour telecast (5:30-6:30 p.m. ET/2:30 p.m.-3:30 p.m. PT) captures the indelible accomplishments of the horses and individuals who graced the Breeders’ Cup with the greatest drama and excitement since the event’s inception in 1984.

Produced by Breeders’ Cup, The Hennegan Brothers and NBC Sports, “30-1” brings to life a dramatic countdown of the top 30 moments in Breeders’ Cup history, reliving the magnificent performances from the likes of Alysheba in the “Midnight Classic”, Sunday Silence battling Easy Goer, Cigar’s great campaigns in the 1990’s, the “Three-Peat” of Goldikova and the dramatic Classic runs of the incomparable racemare Zenyatta.
This deserves to rate especially considering earlier events that day.

"Almost forgotten by the bettors..." That never gets old.

Old
10-18-2013, 09:47 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Think this one will be up there:

Old
10-19-2013, 07:25 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^ That was #1 on the BloodHorse list which was limited in years (maybe a 10-year range) but finished #5 on the DRF list which included every year.

About the DRF list...
  • Lukas's 1-2 finish in 1994 was 28th (too low).
  • Street Sense in 2006 was #24 (far too low) and one awesome memory for me.
  • Bailey's win on a 133-1 shot finished 23rd. Again, should have ranked higher.
  • My selection didn't make the list -- they didn't ask me (insert smiley) -- but his baby girl did, twice. Halfbridled ranked for female jockey winning (#26) and Mandella's 4-wins on one card (#13).
  • Blame beating Zenyatta was #2 but the analysis without mentioning Gomez was asinine. Especially considering he was removed from the track on a stretcher a couple days earlier. To me, that is similar to being removed from the ice on a stretcher in Game 6 of a hockey series then returning for Game 7 and scoring the winning goal. Zenyatta got #1 for winning another race. Whatever. I got annoyed by how Go Go was forgotten in #2 but he's remembered here:

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-19-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old
10-20-2013, 11:05 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Dullahan has died. He was just retired due to a tendon injury. Last night his colon ruptured and could not be saved.

Old
10-23-2013, 08:37 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I don't think that's the draw. If it is, it's a week ahead of time and 13 horses just happened to draw in alphabetical order

Old
10-23-2013, 08:43 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^ Yeah, I just realized that. Doh. I made the change. I saw that he is listed last on the Breeders Cup homepage, too, which doesn't appear in true alphabetical order ( http://www.breederscup.com/contenders/119 ).

Quote:
LEXINGTON, Ky. – Wednesday’s sixth race at Keeneland, a two-turn, 1 1/16-mile turf maiden race, was declared a no contest by track stewards after Hall of Fame jockey Calvin Borel was unseated as the field passed by the stands the first time.

Borel broke a leg in the fall, his fibula, according to tweets and Facebook messages posted later in the day by his wife, Lisa. She did not specify which leg, but messaged that doctors at University of Kentucky Medical Center, where he was treated hours after the fall, did not diagnose a concussion or any soft-tissue injuries.

The determination to declare the race a no contest was made for the safety of the fallen Borel, who was initially motionless and being treated by medical personnel as the race continued. Although Borel was somewhat past the finish line, he was still in jeopardy, in a position so close to the end of the race.
http://www.drf.com/news/keeneland-bo...ses-no-contest

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-23-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old
10-28-2013, 03:27 PM
Valrico Gold

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/br...show-saturday/

This deserves to rate especially considering earlier events that day.

"Almost forgotten by the bettors..." That never gets old.
You're right. A fantastic race. Winner saved every inch once he maneuvered in from the bad post.
As I mentioned prior, all I could remember from that day was how cold it was.

Old
10-28-2013, 03:29 PM
Valrico Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Think this one will be up there:

But I think I prefer this moment.

Old
10-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Valrico Gold

Just scanned the PP's for the Classic and Mile.
Both brutally difficult races to handicap.

I don't care how good Wise Dan's form is, he could easily get beat by several in that field.

Old
10-28-2013, 03:44 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^ Graydar has been scratched from the Dirt Mile. Same injury as his daddy I seem to remember: left hoof quarter crack.

Wise Dan has the 8 post, no one should be complaining about that. Za Approval has the outside, finished 1st or 2nd in his last 5 races. Obviously hasn't won in his last three tries at Santa Anita though has three wins in his last four starts.

Edit... That sentiment is now confirmed, at least initially:
Quote:
Charlie LoPresti on Wise Dan's post 8 for the Mile: "it's good, I'm really happy and fine w/ that. All the speed is to the inside of me."
Source: https://twitter.com/BH_CNovak

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-01-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old
10-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Valrico Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
^ Graydar has been scratched from the Dirt Mile. Same injury as his daddy I seem to remember: left hoof quarter crack.

Wise Dan has the 8 post, no one should be complaining about that. Za Approval has the outside, finished 1st or 2nd in his last 5 races. Obviously hasn't won in his last three tries at Santa Anita though has three wins in his last four starts.

The draws for the Classic and Distaff will be at 7:00 p.m. ET tonight (HRTV).
Only 10 in the mile?
I thought Flotilla had a punchers chance on a firm turf, and Toronado must be injured.
Europe not well represented this year in the mile.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-28-2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Removed paper image seen in earlier post
Old
10-28-2013, 06:19 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^ Yes, Val, 10 in that race. I added a cleaner image to the post above. I removed the scratch sheet with the draws and added a table with morning line odds.

Baffert has 2 and 9 in the Classic. I don't think Game On Dude is a certainty with this field.

Will Take Charge at 12-1 is inviting.

There are six horses entered in the Distaff. That will be tough for the bettors. Royal Delta and Close Hatches pique my interest but there is little to gain.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-01-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old
10-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Valrico Gold

The Mile.

My favorite race, so I'll start here.
Not the strongest BC Mile field.

No Jet Lag is razor sharp and will save ground.
Silentio should be well placed right behind the pace.
Wise Dan

Old
10-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Valrico Gold

The Classic

Game On Dude is a handful when on or near the lead.
Declaration Of War has pointed for this. Good non-turf record.

Old
10-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Valrico Gold

Sprint

Surprisingly weak field.
Secret Circle looks wound up to fire his best.
Majestic Stride may be the best of the longshots.

Old
10-29-2013, 09:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Recurring trend, and showing why the format is stupid: the Distaff is once again the best race. It's been the case the last handful of years aside from Zenyatta running in the big one. And this year there is only 6 horses in it. Although, I think the Classic is better this year than last year. Especially as long as Game On Dude doesn't bounce.

Closed Thread