HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Most underrated (on HF) players ON YOUR TEAM

Old
11-30-2012, 05:06 PM
tapas

vCash: 500
reimer and grabovski

tapas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:06 PM
hairylikebear
RIP HFStars

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
He's not elite... People seem to confuse being a very good starting goalie with being elite
People seem to misunderstand that Lehtonen is better than just a "very good starting goalie."

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:11 PM
CanuckLuck

Burrows.

He only garners negative criticisms but only contributes positively for the team.

CanuckLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:15 PM
lboogie42*

many devils fans would say elias. which is a good choice. but im gonna say zajac. guy is so underrated for all that he does.

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Machinehead
Girardi's Corgi

vCash: 50
I'm gonna say Anton Stralman. He doesn't get any recognition since Columbus scrapped him but he's clicked with the Rangers and become a more than serviceable player.

He joined late but finished the season on pace for about 28 points and play vastly improved defense. That's great off your third pair.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:33 PM
whooers

Hemmer for sure, guy has had **** luck with injuries, I'm confident he'll show what he's capable of once NHL hockey resumes.

Hall too, some HF'ers critique of him is laughable

whooers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Rals

Nicklas Backstrom. He's a top 5 centre in league, no one gives him that kind of love.

Rals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Ginger Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rals View Post
Nicklas Backstrom. He's a top 5 centre in league, no one gives him that kind of love.
But he was picked over both Sedins and Zetterburg for Sweden's #1 forward

Ginger Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:03 AM
seafoam
Halcyon Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rals View Post
He's not better than Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos. Tavares, or Giroux. Sorry, definitely top ten though.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:10 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiTzLaMia View Post
But he was picked over both Sedins and Zetterburg for Sweden's #1 forward
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
He's not better than Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos. Tavares, or Giroux. Sorry, definitely top ten though.
In no order:
Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, H.Sedin, Thornton, Toews, Spezza, Tavares, Giroux

That's eleven off the top of my head. Not even sure that would be my top ten if I sat down and really thought about it.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

For the , I'd say Stralman or Callahan. Callahan is a 30-goal scorer who should be seriously considered for a Selke in the future. Most HF Rangers fans think he's Jesus but he's not valued very highly in the rest of HF.

Definitely Koivu for the . He's definitely up there with B Richards and Toews, but I never see any talk of him on here. Brodziak too, a third line center who had a 22/22 year and we got him for a fifth round pick. He drops the gloves when needed, is good defensively and on the PK, and can step into the top six when needed.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:55 AM
The Nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
For the , I'd say Stralman or Callahan. Callahan is a 30-goal scorer who should be seriously considered for a Selke in the future. Most HF Rangers fans think he's Jesus but he's not valued very highly in the rest of HF.

Definitely Koivu for the . He's definitely up there with B Richards and Toews, but I never see any talk of him on here. Brodziak too, a third line center who had a 22/22 year and we got him for a fifth round pick. He drops the gloves when needed, is good defensively and on the PK, and can step into the top six when needed.
I doubt Callahan wins a Selke

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:05 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post

I think HF rated Koivu above Brad Richards in last best C poll.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:08 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
In no order:
Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, H.Sedin, Thornton, Toews, Spezza, Tavares, Giroux

That's eleven off the top of my head. Not even sure that would be my top ten if I sat down and really thought about it.
Add Kopitar then there are Getzlaf, E. Staal, Benn, B. Richards and M. Richards who i put in the same category.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:13 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
In no order:

Beyond Crosby, Malkin and Stamkos, the order will differ from one season to another. Z had his Conn Smythe season, Toews had his Conn Smythe, H.Sedin had his Art Ross, Backstrom had his 100pt campaign, Kopitar had his Stanley Cup. Etc. No exact science there.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:23 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Add Kopitar then there are Getzlaf, E. Staal, Benn, B. Richards and M. Richards who i put in the same category.
You just proved how true it is that Backstrom is underrated. Benn? Seriously? The guy's claim to fame is a 63 point season, at 0.89 points per game. Backstrom over the course of 5 seasons, playing since he was 20 has played at a career pace of 1.01 points per game. Both players started out in the NHL as a 20 year old, through 3 seasons Benn has scored 160 points at a pace of 0.71 points per game. Backstrom in his first 3 seasons scored 258 points at 1.05 points per game. Backstrom is absolutely in the upper echelon of NHL centers, top 5 is debatable because of how many elite centers there are right now but he's definitely up there.

EDIT: As for who is most underrated on my team, not sure if I've posted in this thread but I'd have to say Dion Phaneuf. Dude gets trashed here and people seem to think he's a defensive liability despite the fact that he excelled playing some of the toughest minutes in the entire NHL last season.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 05:46 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
You just proved how true it is that Backstrom is underrated. Benn? Seriously? The guy's claim to fame is a 63 point season, at 0.89 points per game. Backstrom over the course of 5 seasons, playing since he was 20 has played at a career pace of 1.01 points per game. Both players started out in the NHL as a 20 year old, through 3 seasons Benn has scored 160 points at a pace of 0.71 points per game. Backstrom in his first 3 seasons scored 258 points at 1.05 points per game. Backstrom is absolutely in the upper echelon of NHL centers, top 5 is debatable because of how many elite centers there are right now but he's definitely up there.

EDIT: As for who is most underrated on my team, not sure if I've posted in this thread but I'd have to say Dion Phaneuf. Dude gets trashed here and people seem to think he's a defensive liability despite the fact that he excelled playing some of the toughest minutes in the entire NHL last season.
I dont just look at statistics, in addition physicallity and being defensively responsible are what i look for. When factoring in everything i put Backstrom in that category. Each one brings an element that make them incredible players yet just not yet elite. Its no knock on Backstrom, i just see him as a 10-15rather than a 5-10 and there is nothing wrong with that.

Not on my team but overall id say Williams is the most underrated.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Et le But

As other have said Subban is overrated by Habs fans and underrated by everyone else.

Gionta has definitely become underrated somehow.

Plekanec is generally underrated. Among Habs fans there's some who overrate him and just as many who underrate him.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 02:31 AM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
People seem to misunderstand that Lehtonen is better than just a "very good starting goalie."
Then please list me where you'd rank him, because he's not even top 5, and I'd argue there's really only 1 elite goalie right now, and that's Lundqvist

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:14 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Then please list me where you'd rank him, because he's not even top 5, and I'd argue there's really only 1 elite goalie right now, and that's Lundqvist
There's 3 elite, Lundqvist, Quick, and Rinne.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 12:47 PM
cbjbluejackets61
This is neat!

not sure if he would be seen as underrated to anyone else in the league, but for the Blue Jackets, in my opinion.. the most underrated player would be Derek Dorsett

cbjbluejackets61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:35 PM
CraniumCram
Beasts of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
There's 3 elite, Lundqvist, Quick, and Rinne.
That's really not true. Those were the only three that played at an elite level all of last season. When they're not injured or in critical playoff performances, Miller and Luongo are definitely both elite.

CraniumCram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:48 PM
3rdlineglory
Korsi Kevin

On the Rangers board: Stepan. He had a solid sophomore season and everyone was raving about him. He had a lower ppg in the playoffs than in the regular season and now all the love is gone. He still had a better playoff performance than in 2011. Also that slew foot by Orpik definitely did no good for him.

On the main boards: Del Zotto. It seems like people still have the 09-10 Del Zotto in their minds. However, this past season he improved his defense, while posting careers highs in goals and assists. Unfortunately, his defensive meltdown towards the end of the Devils series was the last we saw of him before this stupid lockout.

3rdlineglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Mouse21*

Erik Johnson/Varlamov
both are great.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 02:22 PM
SephF
Patreeky

Ales Hemsky gets no love on HF and is a terrific winger. He was top 10 in PPG as a rightwing since the last lockout before last season started amongst names like Corey Perry, Jarome Iginla, Martin St.Louis etc etc.

Everyone here calls him soft but he's never been one to shy from physical contact and plays a fearless style.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote