HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Doug Gilmour's non-retirement in 2001

Old
11-24-2012, 05:47 AM
FelixPotvin29GOAT

vCash: 500
Doug Gilmour's non-retirement in 2001

Rewatching Buffalo-Pittsburgh game 7 from 2001, It was mentioned at the beginning of the broadcast that if the Sabres did not advance (which they didn't), it would be Doug Gilmour's final NHL game, having prior to the contest announced his intentions to retire at the end of the season.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2001/...our010512.html Here's an article further discussion the matter. I'm just curious if anyone knows what led to him relenting on this decision and coming back for two more seasons?

FelixPotvin29GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Big Phil

I don't know what the reasons were, but he ended up doing well for Montreal in 2001-'02 for a 38 year old. He still holds the record for the best reaction from anyone after having the glass shatter (smashing the penalty box door closed and just sitting there as nothing happened while the glass drapes all over him).

I honestly don't remember any announcement at the time. Gilmour was no longer an integral figure in the NHL and it was obvious he was on his way out, so maybe I just didn't pay attention.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Timmer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
He still holds the record for the best reaction from anyone after having the glass shatter (smashing the penalty box door closed and just sitting there as nothing happened while the glass drapes all over him)..
It always annoyed me that he was ejected from that game. He slammed the gate and the glass blew up. If it hadn't have broken, nothing would have happened.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Bexlyspeed

i think he just kind of back tracked on his retirement statement when the habs made him an offer, i dont remember exactly what happened though. i do know i went to the final game of the 2001 season in buffalo just because i thought it would be his last NHL game.

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 04:03 PM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

I can remember something about this. It's amazing about how good Gilmour still played in his last playoff run (10 pts. in 12 games)

11-27-2012, 04:19 PM
davebenj

Just a guess, but the Sabres lost an absolute heart breaker of a series so maybe he didn't want that game 7 to be his last memory. I'm probably wrong though and the real answer is because he got bored and missed playing or something like that.

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote