HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Hockey Memorabilia - Any Collectors?

Old
11-29-2012, 02:34 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

vCash: 500
Hockey Memorabilia - Any Collectors?

Anyone collect in here? I want to start. Only things I have are personal.

Neal Brotens Hockey stick - Neal Broten tapped me after a North Stars game on the way back to the locker room. Gave me his stick.

Game Puck - My golden b-day Jan 12 1992, got my only puck from a game. Deflection over the boards from Brian Bellows.

Met Center - I was at the last North Stars game at the met. It was destroyed after the game. I took part of a seat and the numbers attached from several rows.

That's all I have, but I want to start with more. Other than ebay, anyone have any good places to start?

Thanks

FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 03:13 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

I have a ton of stuff. Lots of autographed pictures, pucks etc.

Some neat things though.

I have a complete set of original 61 Sheriff hockey coins. I've got a player contract from the Montreal Canadians with Sam Pollack's signature on it. I've got a Bobby Orr Thermos from the early 70s. I've got a bunch of Sabre stuff, football stuff and various things.

Its hard to get now like any "antique" because everyone thinks its worth more than it is. So you end up paying high prices.

I tend to gravitate towards pieces that are good for displaying either on a wall or shelf so I mostly focus my dollars on things like that.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Elever
Hth

I collect hockey cards (Upper Deck Series 1/2 base sets and cards of notable retired players). That's actually how I got into hockey history.

And I like "digitally" collecting THN magazines plus special editions of hockey magazines like Forecaster Pool Preview, Future Watch, Draft Preview, etc...it's how I keep a type of scrapbook of each season.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 05:18 PM
jkrx

I know there is a flyers fan here who has a whole basement filled with collectables. Its a true testament to the team he holds dear.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 05:59 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

I have an unused official NHL trade form stolen from the New York Islanders table at the 2006 NHL entry draft.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 06:12 PM
SealsFan

I used to collect game-worn jerseys back in the 70's, but in a moment of temporary insanity and financial need, sold them all. I had some killer items that would be in high demand today, such as:
Oakland Seals first year Bert Marshall home dark green
California Seals Len Frig road teal
LA Kings original design home and road gold/purple
Atlanta Flames home white
Pitt. Penguins Mario Faubert road blue (last year before changing to black/gold colors)

WHA:
Alberta Oilers first year road orange Bob Fitchner
Indianapolis Racers road blue
Chicago Cougars road yellow

If no name listed its because I don't remember the player's name.

Just typing this out is making me sad....

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 06:21 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

I've got a few things. I use to collect Lemieux / Penguins stuff, so tons of cards, posters, etc.

I've got a Lemieux signed jersey. Nothing personal, just bought it.

I've got a stick from I think the 1981 Blues signed with about 15-20 players.

My dad worked at the Kiel center for awhile. I've got about 5 broken sticks from Blues players and I think one (Helm) still intact. I also have 5 practice pucks, but they just look like regular black pucks.

dr robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 06:24 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
I have an unused official NHL trade form stolen from the New York Islanders table at the 2006 NHL entry draft.
That's actually pretty awesome.

I've had to opportunity to meet pretty much every Pens player since around 2003 and have a ton of signed jerseys, pictures, pucks, and stuff on my walls, the best of which are a personalized picture and Rimouski jersey from Crosby.

A couple of my favorite oddball items are
-A puck used by Ville Nieminen (my favorite player) to score a goal in the 04 Western Conference Finals
-Michal Rozsival's locker name plate from Mellon/Civic arena
-A game used Jagr stick blade from a 1998 game vs Phoenix where he had 2 goals.
-A large (3 by 6 ft) piece of ceiling from the Civic arena that was in the team store that has the names and enlarged signatures (printed out, not actually signed) of 4 players. Since it's so big, I've been thinking of cutting it down into sections so I can actually display it instead of having it sit in my garage.
-A TV from Mario's owner box in Mellon arena, which my grandma uses at her house.
-A notorized eligibilty and entrance form for the 2004 NHL draft (No, I wasn't an actual legitimate prospect, it was a gag gift from a coach, I was an above average high school player and very below average college player). I'm pretty sure they did away with them in the last CBA since any joe, like me, could enter the draft if they sent in the paperwork.

Last edited by SomeDude: 11-29-2012 at 06:34 PM.
SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Gunnin54

Anybody got any Patrick Roy stuff????

Gunnin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:29 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
That's actually pretty awesome.

I've had to opportunity to meet pretty much every Pens player since around 2003 and have a ton of signed jerseys, pictures, pucks, and stuff on my walls, the best of which are a personalized picture and Rimouski jersey from Crosby.

A couple of my favorite oddball items are
-A puck used by Ville Nieminen (my favorite player) to score a goal in the 04 Western Conference Finals
-Michal Rozsival's locker name plate from Mellon/Civic arena
-A game used Jagr stick blade from a 1998 game vs Phoenix where he had 2 goals.
-A large (3 by 6 ft) piece of ceiling from the Civic arena that was in the team store that has the names and enlarged signatures (printed out, not actually signed) of 4 players. Since it's so big, I've been thinking of cutting it down into sections so I can actually display it instead of having it sit in my garage.
-A TV from Mario's owner box in Mellon arena, which my grandma uses at her house.
-A notorized eligibilty and entrance form for the 2004 NHL draft (No, I wasn't an actual legitimate prospect, it was a gag gift from a coach, I was an above average high school player and very below average college player). I'm pretty sure they did away with them in the last CBA since any joe, like me, could enter the draft if they sent in the paperwork.
I'm nosey and curious. Instead of being "that guy that....." I'm assuming you have family ties to the club?

Old
11-29-2012, 09:08 PM
mco543

Most of my best memorabilia is basketball related (my favorite basketball players are cheaper to collect) but from hockey I have the following

Game used and signed Sandis Ozolinsh stick
Game used and signed Brian Bellows stick from the '93 Canadiens
Game used and signed Marcus Ragnarsson stick
Signed Felix Potvin authentic jersey
Team signed Florida Panthers jersey from '96
Signed John Vanbiesbrouck Panthers hat
Signed Grant Fuhr St. Louis Blues mini goalie mask
Signed Panther promos from Valeri Bure, Peter Worrell, and Oleg Kvasha
A set of arena give away Panther bobble heads from 2002
Ulf Samuelsson arena give away Pittsburgh Penguins bobble head
A ton of autographed and game used cards with just about every high end Felix Potvin insert that was released during his playing career.

I think that's all of it, I may be missing a couple things but that is all the stuff that comes to mind right now.

mco543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:34 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshNsoClean View Post
I'm nosey and curious. Instead of being "that guy that....." I'm assuming you have family ties to the club?
Well, with meeting the players, I do know a long time employee, but the civic arena stuff came from the sales and auctions when they gutted it.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 10:14 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Back in the mid 50's through 60's pre-expansion in the waning days of the 06 the neighbour across the street was the GM of the hotel in Toronto where the majority of the visiting clubs stayed when in town playing the Leafs. He had a son my age, and the stuff that kid got handed to him through his old man you wouldnt believe. Team signed game used Northland & CCM sticks; pucks; jerseys; gloves; helmets; elbow pads; socks; heck, I seem to remember him receiving someones pants one time. Signed souvenir programs, tickets, cocktail napkins from the Hot Stove Lounge. You name it, he had it, basement full. No idea whatever became of any of it. This kid had so many sticks I remember him using some of them for road hockey & shinny, signed by Lord only Knows, then actually CUT DOWN to his all of 4'11" height.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 10:18 PM
MonsterSurge

I collect racing things mostly, but I have a Wheeling Nailers game puck that I almost got beamed with. Does that count?

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:37 AM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I collect hockey cards (Upper Deck Series 1/2 base sets and cards of notable retired players). That's actually how I got into hockey history.

And I like "digitally" collecting THN magazines plus special editions of hockey magazines like Forecaster Pool Preview, Future Watch, Draft Preview, etc...it's how I keep a type of scrapbook of each season.
Just ordered a box of series 2, will be here tomorrow. I haven't opened a pack of cards in 20 years lol. Thanks man

Old
11-30-2012, 01:38 AM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
Well, with meeting the players, I do know a long time employee, but the civic arena stuff came from the sales and auctions when they gutted it.
Very cool man. Be thankful and I'm sure you are. People would die to be in your shoes.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:40 AM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Back in the mid 50's through 60's pre-expansion in the waning days of the 06 the neighbour across the street was the GM of the hotel in Toronto where the majority of the visiting clubs stayed when in town playing the Leafs. He had a son my age, and the stuff that kid got handed to him through his old man you wouldnt believe. Team signed game used Northland & CCM sticks; pucks; jerseys; gloves; helmets; elbow pads; socks; heck, I seem to remember him receiving someones pants one time. Signed souvenir programs, tickets, cocktail napkins from the Hot Stove Lounge. You name it, he had it, basement full. No idea whatever became of any of it. This kid had so many sticks I remember him using some of them for road hockey & shinny, signed by Lord only Knows, then actually CUT DOWN to his all of 4'11" height.
That's crazy how he got all of that. I'm sure he worked out some kind of deal for them staying there and in return they hooked him up. Very cool.

Old
11-30-2012, 07:37 AM
mbhhofr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Back in the mid 50's through 60's pre-expansion in the waning days of the 06 the neighbour across the street was the GM of the hotel in Toronto where the majority of the visiting clubs stayed when in town playing the Leafs.
Royal York?

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:06 AM
SealsFan

Speaking of hockey cards, I want to know who's got one of these:

Because me and my buddies would buy packs of Topps 71-72 cards every morning on the way to school until we all had the entire set in duplicates.... except for this one card!!!! Pretty slick of Topps to keep this one out of circulation so we'd keep buying and buying!

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:40 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
I have way too much Penguins stuff to list (tshirts, jerseys, hats, DVD's, etc.). The highlights of my collection would have to be my autographed Malkin puck that my fiancee got me this past Valentine's Day...and this little something I bought a month and a half ago at the local collectible shop.

It's a framed and signed photo of Mario celebrating his 500th goal on October 26th 1995.

As you can see in the right hand bottom of the picture only 166 copies of this signed print were made. And mine is number 27 out of 166.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:48 AM
CaptBrannigan

I have over 120 hockey jerseys, ranging from replica to game worn, spanning international to minor leagues to the NHL.

Also have a jersey signed by all members of 2004 Lightning Cup champ team and probably 50+ autographed cards. In my grandparents' attic I found an Atlanta Flames hat, never worn.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:15 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
I have some cards from the early 90's.
Boat loads of Mcfarlane hockey figures.
at least a dozen hockey related books
a bunch of jerseys
probably 10 hockey pictures hanging on my basement walls

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Habsfan18

I'm assuming publications count as memorabilia. If so, my collection of The Hockey News would be my most special items. It currently numbers at over 2,000 issues.

I have a signed Habs jersey from pretty much the entire 2010-2011 roster.

I own a seat cushion from the Habs/Flames Heritage Classic, that was given to me by a buddy who attended the game.

I also have a signed Dany Heatley rookie card, which he signed for me in person at Bob Hartley's hockey camp. This was actually 1 week before his big accident.

My dad is a huge Pens fan, and has a crapload of memorabilia from the Lemieux years down in his man cave.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 11-30-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 06:09 PM
justsomeguy

Don't collect so much as accumulate.

Have a few small pieces of The Forum and MLG somewhere. Kept my ticket stubs from the Centennial game and the press credentials from the few games I've been accredited for.

Have a few autographs, mainly because they were offered and I didn't want to offend by saying "No thanks". Only autograph I ever asked for was from Roch Carrier who was kind enough to sign a $5 bill for me a couple years ago. Only ones I ever bought was a series of Habs signed postcard sized B&W photos from 1968 or 69. The heros of my childhood. Basically bought the set to have a JC Tremblay autograph.

What I do value more than autographs or other memorabilia are the tapes of the conversations I've had with former players, most of them from the 40s, 50s and 60s and the ongoing contact I've been fortunate enough to maintain with some of the guys. Much prefer memories to memorabilia.

Also value the contacts I've made and kept with a lot of the guys producing hockey history scribblings, both online and between hard covers.

justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 08:03 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

I have about 30 jerseys, probably split halfway between replicas and gameworn.

some of the notable ones, or at least the ones that I can remember:
Signed Lemieux away jersey (2000-07 gold stripes)
Signed Crosby WC 08 jersey (non-game worn)
Signed Recchi away jersey (80s-92 version)
Signed Orpik #29 jersey (not game worn, not even Orpik himself knows where his rookie jersey is)
Game worn Simon Despres 2009 rookie tournament jersey (his first ever Penguins jersey)
Game worn Simon Despres and Joe Morrow 2011 Prospect Camp jerseys
Game worn Matt Murley jersey
Game worn Ric Jackman jersey

Game worn Dupuis skates, which are probably some of the most comfortable skates I've ever worn.
Game worn and signed Jay Caufield skates, which he recognized the skates almost 20 years after he last wore them.

Signed game used sticks from Taglianetti, Dupuis and Letang (x2).

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote