HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

On the edge - Saskatoon Blades Documentary Series

Old
11-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Alberta tough

vCash: 500
On the edge - Saskatoon Blades Documentary Series

Anyone else watching this show?
Edit. Documentary of the Saskatoon Blades on Sportsnet.

Alberta tough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 07:39 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Have been trying to tell as many people about it as possible. It's fantastic.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Have been trying to tell as many people about it as possible. It's fantastic.
Sure is. Are you on it?

Old
11-23-2012, 07:42 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Sure is. Are you on it?
My voice was in it a few times and I was in the background a few times too. Glad other people finally had a chance to view it tonight.

Old
11-23-2012, 07:44 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

i just put it on. i would have started watching earlier but i didn't realize sportnet in ontario would be showing it - i thought only out west

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 07:56 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

thats gotta be up there on tougher things to do..

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Alberta tough

Anyone who follows Juniors/prospects needs to watch this.

Old
11-24-2012, 07:24 AM
BomaLightDevils

Is their a link for it, or is it to new.

BomaLightDevils is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Mathletic

I recorded the episode last night but haven't watched it yet. Was it the season premier?

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:50 AM
DJOpus

Today on the radio in Vancouver they were discussing the possibility of the Blades not being granted a berth in the Mem Cup if their play continues...there is precedent for that in the OHL (Rangers and Generals granted births ahead of the hosts during the Lindros years).

Don Hay was discussing how much pressure's on the kids given the fact that Sportsnet has been following them all season, the expectations, etc.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 11:28 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
I recorded the episode last night but haven't watched it yet. Was it the season premier?
Yeah last night was episode one of the 8-episode season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Today on the radio in Vancouver they were discussing the possibility of the Blades not being granted a berth in the Mem Cup if their play continues...there is precedent for that in the OHL (Rangers and Generals granted births ahead of the hosts during the Lindros years).

Don Hay was discussing how much pressure's on the kids given the fact that Sportsnet has been following them all season, the expectations, etc.
Well, the Blades have points in 7 of 9 games and are back in a playoff spot. Safe to say anything like this will not be happening.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Mathletic

finally got to watch the show. I really liked it. I'll tune in for the other episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Yeah last night was episode one of the 8-episode season.

Well, the Blades have points in 7 of 9 games and are back in a playoff spot. Safe to say anything like this will not be happening.
Are you the person we see interviewing Lorne Molleken before game 1 or 2 (can't remember)?

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:48 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
finally got to watch the show. I really liked it. I'll tune in for the other episodes.

Are you the person we see interviewing Lorne Molleken before game 1 or 2 (can't remember)?
That's not him, that's Les I believe.

Also, here is a link to a preview clip for everybody, really loved the episode and can't wait for the next one. Thought the pacing and production value was better than it is for Oil Change to be quite honest.

http://vimeo.com/54107213

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:55 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post

Don Hay should honestly shut up, I give 100% full credit to Brodsky/Molleken and whoever let this go through, this was an almost unprecedented look at junior hockey.

To have a vision and open mind to go through with this and let cameras follow the kids around and sit in meetings, etc deserves a lot of credit especially in the world of junior hockey that is full of "tradition" and "unwritten rules" that would otherwise prevent the growth and interest of a great brand of hockey. Shawinigan did it last year and they won the freaking thing. Don Hay pisses me off, he wants to be a control freak over his players which is pretty clear from his stints in coaching in the NHL. The mind games and tactics, etc that Don Hay plays with teenagers at times probably puts about 20 times more pressure on the kids than 2 or 3 cameras could.

Sure Saskatoon stumbled out of the gate but they've been having a pretty good last month and it's going to be a great storyline for this documentary to see these kids/coaches dig themselves out of the hole, it's going to be really compelling and I can't wait personally. The emotions/fragility on display here is some terrific stuff - from the meeting with Cox, to seeing how the pressure of being in the Sutter family can affect a teenager to seeing a draft-eligible goalie heartbroken after letting in 9 goals.

Full credit to the Blades for pulling back the curtain, I know I'm pulling for them now in a certain way even though I'm an Oil Kings fan.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:30 PM
hyster110

is there a link online to watch this? i missed the episode

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Scarecrow Boat

It's about to come on Sportsnet for anybody looking to watch it. I tried to find an online option but there doesn't seem to be one right now.

Edit: First goal by Saskatoon against Prince Albert there's a kid giving 2 middle fingers and mouthing "F you" in the stands as they celebrate. Sick editing Sportsnet.

Last edited by Scarecrow Boat: 11-24-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Ashasx

Gotta give props to Sportsnet. They've given us more actual hockey coverage than anybody during this lockout.

A great episode. Very well done.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:10 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

I can't wait until this gets online.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:09 PM
arsmaster

I just about teared up during the closing scene.

They better buck up or this show will be embarrassing when the league removes them from the memorial cup.

Really good show though.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:17 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Don Hay should honestly shut up, I give 100% full credit to Brodsky/Molleken and whoever let this go through, this was an almost unprecedented look at junior hockey.

To have a vision and open mind to go through with this and let cameras follow the kids around and sit in meetings, etc deserves a lot of credit especially in the world of junior hockey that is full of "tradition" and "unwritten rules" that would otherwise prevent the growth and interest of a great brand of hockey. Shawinigan did it last year and they won the freaking thing. Don Hay pisses me off, he wants to be a control freak over his players which is pretty clear from his stints in coaching in the NHL. The mind games and tactics, etc that Don Hay plays with teenagers at times probably puts about 20 times more pressure on the kids than 2 or 3 cameras could.

Sure Saskatoon stumbled out of the gate but they've been having a pretty good last month and it's going to be a great storyline for this documentary to see these kids/coaches dig themselves out of the hole, it's going to be really compelling and I can't wait personally. The emotions/fragility on display here is some terrific stuff - from the meeting with Cox, to seeing how the pressure of being in the Sutter family can affect a teenager to seeing a draft-eligible goalie heartbroken after letting in 9 goals.

Full credit to the Blades for pulling back the curtain, I know I'm pulling for them now in a certain way even though I'm an Oil Kings fan.
Maybe you should have listened to the interview.

Don Hay was asked a question and answered it, and it wasn't in bad taste and did nothing to garner a 4 paragraph rant.

If the blades play like they did in Victoria the other night for the majority of the remaining season and I could easily see the league stepping in.

The camera's can't be helping.

Ps. We saw the same thing on Shawinigan last season, not sure it ran 8 episodes or was as rivetting television as episode 1 last night.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 01:40 AM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

I cried in the last scene. Having a close relative that was cut from a team early in the year as a veteran, it hit close to home. Can't wait for the next episode.

Molleken is a beaut

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:41 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
No, that's Les Lazaruk, the team's play-by-play voice.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:35 PM
hyster110

are there links to either series?

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:27 PM

any links yet?

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:32 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

No, it still hasn't been posted online by Sportsnet.