HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Neuvrith for J.Merrill + 3rd

Old
11-23-2012, 09:20 PM
intylerwetrust
Space Oddity

vCash: 500
Neuvrith for J.Merrill + 3rd

good/bad deal?

intylerwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:43 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

As a Devils fan, I'd rather not.

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PADevil3034 View Post
As a Devils fan, I'd rather not.
Why not?

As a fan of neither team I assumed they would.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:50 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

We need a goalie coming back our way for Neuvy in the deal.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:22 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Which won't be happening.

And the Devils have Kinkaid and Wedgewood waiting in the wings. Not saying they're better options than Neuvirth, but they're good enough to depend on, without having to give up our second best defensive prospect.

Old
11-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Why not?

As a fan of neither team I assumed they would.
its the 3rd round pick that NJ would never move!!

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:
And the Devils don't need another goaltender until the 2014-2015 season...

Devils need forwards and I don't think they trade Merril unless a solid return.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
I would only trade Merrill for a Good Top 6 Fwd

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:29 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
I would only trade Merrill for a Good Top 6 Fwd
Yup. He's only moving in a package for a quality goal scorer.

EDIT: That said, the value in this proposal isn't far off. It's just highly unrealistic.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:28 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Contrary to popular belief, the Devils are not desperate to trade for a goalie. Marty is signed through next season, as is Moose. Lou is comfortable with that tandem for now. After that, we have Wedgewood, Kinkaid, Clermont, and Frazee taking up all the spots in the system. Lou might consider an upgrade, but he claims he is happy with the progress of the goalie prospects. Devils fans can easily see Wedgewood or Kinkaid panning out to become the long term successor for Marty.

Merrill is the Devils' second best defence prospect, behind only Larsson. He is not likely to be traded, and especially not for a goalie, a position that the Devils already have a glut at.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:10 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
its the 3rd round pick that NJ would never move!!
They already did. Minnesota owns New Jersey's 3rd round pick in 2013.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:51 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
I think the Devils should seriously consider the repercussions of Hedberg and Brodeur retiring at the same time. Neuvirth might not be the best fit, but relying on Wedgewood with possibly nobody else around is extremely risky. I think that having Brodeur for so long has diminshed the fact that it's very hard to get legitimate goaltending, and the vast majority of the time relying on prospects to fill the gap left by franchise talent(especially at goaltending) likely won't cut it.

Although I'd be curious who the Caps would use to Tandem with Holtby if the OP were to take place.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:14 AM
Halpysback

I'd do for Volchenkov and a depth goalie.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:48 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
I'd do for Volchenkov and a depth goalie.
I'd rather not take on such a huge salary or package Hamrlik in the deal.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 03:09 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
I'd rather not take on such a huge salary or package Hamrlik in the deal.
Hamrlik is up after this year anyway.

Good idea though. Make em take Schultz.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 03:52 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Probably too steep for the Devils.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 06:37 AM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I think the Devils should seriously consider the repercussions of Hedberg and Brodeur retiring at the same time. Neuvirth might not be the best fit, but relying on Wedgewood with possibly nobody else around is extremely risky. I think that having Brodeur for so long has diminshed the fact that it's very hard to get legitimate goaltending, and the vast majority of the time relying on prospects to fill the gap left by franchise talent(especially at goaltending) likely won't cut it.

Although I'd be curious who the Caps would use to Tandem with Holtby if the OP were to take place.
This is not a perfect situation for the long-term but we've got to deal with this: Bordeur and Hedbeg are signed for the next 2 seasons and everyone from Lou Lamoriello to the Devils fanbase is ok with that.

So why would Devils trade one of their best prospect for a guy that is unlikely to play until end of 2014 ?

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 06:37 AM
Zippy316

Quote:

Yes that mighty happen, but instead of giving up our best defensive prospect, we are better off waiting until 2014-2015 and signing a UFA to play in a tandem with one of the young guys. We aren't in desperate need right now, maybe towards the end of the 2013-2014 season, we may find out that our goalies aren't ready, and then this trade is plausible.

Although, if this were to happen Devils would likely be sending Hedberg the other way, meaning we would be asking for a forward or forward prospect in return.

Last edited by Zippy316: 11-24-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:27 AM
SMantzas

While I think Neuvy is a solid goalie, I don't think he'd be any better than a stopgap (see Theodore) Devils are better off keeping Merrill, who has huge upside, and taking a chance from within

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:

It's not hard to find a stopgap goalie in UFA if necessary, somebody to play in a tandem with Wedge or Kinkaid for a year until the kid is ready to take over full time. There are always more NHL calibre goalies than available goalie slots. Obviously they probably won't match the quality or steadiness of Marty, but Lou seems fine with taking that chance.

And it is possible that Marty will want to stick around a bit longer as a backup to transition in his successor.

Either way, that means trading a promising defensive prospect for a goalie right now is a bad idea.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

proven players > prospect. Neuvirth isnt that proven, but i really think that he could gain alot of valuable experience and consistency and become a solid starter, because the talent is there. the only issue is that the Devils have Marty and Moose locked up for 2 years with NTC's. i think Neuvirth is going to be a fantastic starter in the NHL, but the way the Devils have their goaltending structured, adding a goalie at this point would create more problems than solutions

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 11:15 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Absolutely not. No point in trading top D prospect and an additional draft pick for a goalie who won't start for at least two years.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri the Fury View Post
This is not a perfect situation for the long-term but we've got to deal with this: Bordeur and Hedbeg are signed for the next 2 seasons and everyone from Lou Lamoriello to the Devils fanbase is ok with that.

So why would Devils trade one of their best prospect for a guy that is unlikely to play until end of 2014 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Yes that mighty happen, but instead of giving up our best defensive prospect, we are better off waiting until 2014-2015 and signing a UFA to play in a tandem with one of the young guys. We aren't in desperate need right now, maybe towards the end of the 2013-2014 season, we may find out that our goalies aren't ready, and then this trade is plausible.

Although, if this were to happen Devils would likely be sending Hedberg the other way, meaning we would be asking for a forward or forward prospect in return.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
It's not hard to find a stopgap goalie in UFA if necessary, somebody to play in a tandem with Wedge or Kinkaid for a year until the kid is ready to take over full time. There are always more NHL calibre goalies than available goalie slots. Obviously they probably won't match the quality or steadiness of Marty, but Lou seems fine with taking that chance.

And it is possible that Marty will want to stick around a bit longer as a backup to transition in his successor.

Either way, that means trading a promising defensive prospect for a goalie right now is a bad idea.
Yeah, sorry if I implied you should do this deal, as I said, Neuvirth wouldn't be a good fit at this point in time. But I don't think doing nothing for the next two years is a good idea either. That's all.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

If Merrill turns out as projected we can get a way better goalie than Neuvirth for him.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:32 PM
KovalSNIPE

Merrill is a defensive prospect that has top-pairing potential and has a high chance of reaching that.

The only way we would trade him would be for a first-line potential winger, or in a package for a top-pairing defenseman already established in the league.

KovalSNIPE is offline   Reply With Quote