HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Offseason Thread Part IX: WTF is Pitkanen worth anyway? Not $4.5 million apparently ‎

Old
08-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Sad King Jimmy
That's hockey baby!

vCash: 50
Offseason Thread Part IX: WTF is Pitkanen worth anyway? Not $4.5 million apparently ‎

Last one hit 1k

Then this happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Semin View Post
Back on subject about Chantel...

I'd drag my nuts through a mile of broken glass to hear her piss into a tin can over a set of old walkie-talkies.

Last edited by Sad King Jimmy: 08-30-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Sad King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:06 PM
Chicago Made Punk
Unregistered Loser.

vCash: 274
HockeyWriters must have consulted the FB page on that one.

Chicago Made Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Novacane
RIP UT

vCash: 500
I lol'ed when I saw that. I usually steer away from the main NHL threads, but that was too big to gloss over.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:33 AM
Boom Boom Anton

In fairness, Pitkanen's contract started in 11-12 and he's played 1 season where he was only able to play only 30 games. I realize it's because of injuries, but $4.5M for 30 games is an overpayment. If he can stay healthy, I have little doubt he'll be worth his contract, but since the lockout, there's only been 1 season where he's played almost a full season.

05/06: 58 games
06/07: 77 games
07/08: 63 games
08/09: 71 games
09/10: 71 games
10/11: 72 games
11/12: 30 games

If Pitkanen plays less than 70 games again this season, then I could see why people would say he's over paid. It's my concern with Ruutu's contract as well. Given his style of play, I'm not convinced he can stay healthy. Only time will tell.

Boom Boom Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:05 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 3729
It being Chantel is confirmed.

Yay. Yay yay yay yay yay yay. Yay.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:17 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 3729
Quote:
Mike Sundheim ‏@MikeSundheim
Welcome @CanesChantel! Stick tap to @aaronward_nhl, who recommended the team contact her. They worked together at @NESN.
Spittin' game.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:47 AM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Country club atmosphere!

Head Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:26 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Is Bob Harwood still here too or is she his replacement?

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:38 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Bob left.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
It being Chantel is confirmed.

Yay. Yay yay yay yay yay yay. Yay.
I would run a 5k with a 5lb bar bell hanging from my nipples just to hear her flush the toilet being played across an phonograph.

Metro Misfits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Clark Gillies
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
In fairness, Pitkanen's contract started in 11-12 and he's played 1 season where he was only able to play only 30 games. I realize it's because of injuries, but $4.5M for 30 games is an overpayment. If he can stay healthy, I have little doubt he'll be worth his contract, but since the lockout, there's only been 1 season where he's played almost a full season.

05/06: 58 games
06/07: 77 games
07/08: 63 games
08/09: 71 games
09/10: 71 games
10/11: 72 games
11/12: 30 games

If Pitkanen plays less than 70 games again this season, then I could see why people would say he's over paid. It's my concern with Ruutu's contract as well. Given his style of play, I'm not convinced he can stay healthy. Only time will tell.
I agree that 70 is the minimum number of games I would like to see.

I would, however, consider those 71 and 72 game seasons as close to a full season, given the nature of the sport there are bound to be some nagging minor issues or an illness that will sideline a player for a few games. According the Canes website they had a total of 4 players that played in all 82 games, while 5 more were in the 75-81 range.

Unlike many Canes fans - I believe in Joni and still think he is the best overall D man on the roster.

Clark Gillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I think the appreciation for Joni comes at a certain point of hockey comprehension when you realize that not only can players not be perfect, but having a player that can play half the game and not make any excessively debilitating mistakes while not entirely clogging up the offensive game is a pretty rare thing to have. Effective minutes is the thing you seek from every player, it's just harder to determine what constitutes an effective shift for a defender because the nuances are more subtle. He plays quietly effective hockey and gives us good minutes. I don't know what else can be asked of him.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Carolinas Identity
NY Rangers Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I think the appreciation for Joni comes at a certain point of hockey comprehension when you realize that not only can players not be perfect, but having a player that can play half the game and not make any excessively debilitating mistakes while not entirely clogging up the offensive game is a pretty rare thing to have. Effective minutes is the thing you seek from every player, it's just harder to determine what constitutes an effective shift for a defender because the nuances are more subtle. He plays quietly effective hockey and gives us good minutes. I don't know what else can be asked of him.
Jay Bouwmeester-esque offensive production

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Gillies View Post
Unlike many Canes fans - I believe in Joni and still think he is the best overall D man on the roster.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Joni at all. When the guy is healthy, he's a workhorse out there and eats up a lot of minutes. My only point is health. If he is playing 70+ games, then he'll likely be a bargain at his contract amount. If he can't stay healthy, then like any player, he won't be worth it.

Old
09-03-2012, 10:31 AM
bleedgreen

I never liked him because he was clearly our number one guy in role and pay from day one, when he has none of the attributes mentally of a number one guy. If he was number two he'd be one of the better number two's in the league. He is in a role where leadership is needed, as well as some gumption. He lacks both so that's where my problem with him is. It's just who he is, which really isn't his fault I guess. It's the expectations that come with the role and money given by the team. His contract looks great now, but nothing has changed about his role. We need a guy above or equal to him that brings the rest, it's been arguably our biggest hole for awhile, and is glaring now that we've shored up so much up front.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
I never liked him because he was clearly our number one guy in role and pay from day one, when he has none of the attributes mentally of a number one guy. If he was number two he'd be one of the better number two's in the league. He is in a role where leadership is needed, as well as some gumption. He lacks both so that's where my problem with him is. It's just who he is, which really isn't his fault I guess. It's the expectations that come with the role and money given by the team. His contract looks great now, but nothing has changed about his role. We need a guy above or equal to him that brings the rest, it's been arguably our biggest hole for awhile, and is glaring now that we've shored up so much up front.
No argument there. This team hasn't had a true number 1 in ages. If Marc Staal some day wants to join Eric and Jordan, maybe he might be able to fill that role.

Old
09-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

I would argue that there was a time, early in his Hurricanes tenure when he was playing on the PP during the dead puck era, that Glen Wesley was pretty damn close. I would certainly consider him the best we ever had back there.

Old
09-03-2012, 02:32 PM
bleedgreen

Well he filled a desperately needed role for sure. When he came to the whale he was an automatic fixture on the pp, but he enever really had the impact predicted. He very quickly became a rock in his own end, as that was needed the most. It's hard to say if we every really had a number one, but we've had a lot of legit dmen. Quenneville, Samuelson, chaisson, hedican, James Patrick, Jeff brown etc, a lot of guys who were close to number ones at some point, but never really got there or weren't there for us. I would agree Wesley was arguably the most well rounded, but in terms of offense we've had a bunch better. Chaisson stood out more than Wesley did all around to be honest in his first year or two.in fact he stepped right in as number one the day he showed up in Hartford, over Wesley. Don't know if he really maintained that pace in greensboro.

I would take just about any of the above over Pitts.

Ps suter right now is a pretty fair comparison to what Wesley was at the time he came to the whale. Similar age, style, profile, huge contract. Very similar. I bet that's why jr was legit in the chase for him. It's funny watching fans tear up Burke for kessel when jr gave up more for Wesley. That's Toronto I suppose.

Last edited by bleedgreen: 09-03-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old
09-03-2012, 02:47 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Well he filled a desperately needed role for sure. When he came to the whale he was an automatic fixture on the pp, but he enever really had the impact predicted. He very quickly became a rock in his own end, as that was needed the most. It's hard to say if we every really had a number one, but we've had a lot of legit dmen. Quenneville, Samuelson, chaisson, hedican, James Patrick, Jeff brown etc, a lot of guys who were close to number ones at some point, but never really got there or weren't there for us. I would agree Wesley was arguably the most well rounded, but in terms of offense we've had a bunch better. Chaisson stood out more than Wesley did all around to be honest in his first year or two.in fact he stepped right in as number one the day he showed up in Hartford, over Wesley. Don't know if he really maintained that pace in greensboro.

Ps suter right now is a pretty fair comparison to what Wesley was at the time he came to the whale. Similar age, style, profile, huge contract. Very similar. I bet that's why jr was legit in the chase for him. It's funny watching fans tear up Burke for kessel when jr gave up more for Wesley. That's Toronto I suppose.
Well... on paper at least.

The picks we gave up turned into Kyle McLaren, Sergei Samsonov, and Jonathan Aitken. So far I'd say Seguin is on track to be better then Samsonov, and Hamilton is projected to be better then McLaren (we'll see). If Knight plays as much as one full season he's better then Aitken ever was.

But yeah, that's probably the most comparable trade to the Kessel one in recent memory.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 03:01 PM
bleedgreen

Three first rounders for a two way defenseman. Welcome to the NHL jr. He would've been shot in TO.

There was no way to know how the picks would turn out. I would argue samsonov was better than seguin in their rookie years. Mclaren was a moster dman too. In fact seguin has his work cut out to be better than Sammy was his first five years, he'll probably do it but it'll take work. I think the two deals are actually very similar even in terms of who the players are. A forward and a d as the top 2, both impact players. Mclaren had a huge role at a young age for the B's.

Actually Sammy crushed the rookie year comparison.

Last edited by bleedgreen: 09-03-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old
09-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:

All strong points for sure. Chaisson certainly continued to be the more offensive threat between he and Wesley. We had a few guys in there offensively that could be considered more useful than Wes, it was just my contention that he did have something of an offensive role earlier in his career for those that simply remember him as the inoffensive shut down guy he eventually became. I would even argue at some point during his tenure that Sean Hill flirted with being the real deal for a few seasons. The year he had in 1999-2000 was as strong of an all around season as anybody has put up here. 44 points and 13 goals in 62 games while averaging 24:31 per night.

Then he signs that deal in St. Louis and wrecks all the forward momentum he had in his role here. He comes back in 2001-2002 and plays as underrated of a role as anybody played on that team.

Old
09-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
It's funny watching fans tear up Burke for kessel when jr gave up more for Wesley. That's Toronto I suppose.
True.

I think it's also because a large share of the posters on these boards weren't alive or were way too young to even remember that trade.

Old
09-03-2012, 03:15 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
All strong points for sure. Chaisson certainly continued to be the more offensive threat between he and Wesley. We had a few guys in there offensively that could be considered more useful than Wes, it was just my contention that he did have something of an offensive role earlier in his career for those that simply remember him as the inoffensive shut down guy he eventually became. I would even argue at some point during his tenure that Sean Hill flirted with being the real deal for a few seasons. The year he had in 1999-2000 was as strong of an all around season as anybody has put up here. 44 points and 13 goals in 62 games while averaging 24:31 per night.

Then he signs that deal in St. Louis and wrecks all the forward momentum he had in his role here. He comes back in 2001-2002 and plays as underrated of a role as anybody played on that team.
Yeah hill had that one great year. I was never a huge fan to be honest,though. Jeff brown could've been one of our best ever, his back had basically did him in before he ever showed up. Chaisson, brown, and James Patrick were the three that impressed the most in terms of impact on the team from the day they showed up. Not sure I've seena cane dman have that much an impact, other than maybe your hill comparison. Those last few whaler teams had good d. Wesley, leschyshyn, brown, chaisson, diduck, Patrick for short while, Burt. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. Glynn. Lots of former nucks.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:55 AM
caniac247

Today starts the informal practices at RCI. There may be no CBA in sight, but 16 guys showed up:

All 3 Staals, Gleason, Faulk, Harrison, Tlusty, Dwyer, Stewart, Dalpe, LaRose, Pitkanen, Ward, Peters, Corvo and Nodl

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Novacane
RIP UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
Today starts the informal practices at RCI. There may be no CBA in sight, but 16 guys showed up:

All 3 Staals, Gleason, Faulk, Harrison, Tlusty, Dwyer, Stewart, Dalpe, LaRose, Pitkanen, Ward, Peters, Corvo and Nodl
Oh god. Dalpe but not Boychuk.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote