HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HeroStats - Grabovski, #1 or #2 C.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:44 AM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
And if you guys are expecting Grabovski to be a Joe Thornton then give your heads a shake!!! I guess to you guys unless he puts up as many points as a Thornton being on a second line he's not an effective player.

The poster was using players as a benchmark to demonstrate there are area's where Grabs is a good player and not as bad as people make him out to be. Nowhere did he say he was as good as those players!! PP points can inflate/deflate a players stats depending on how much PP time they receive. I think 29 assists for a #2C is very good and that number may have been increased had Kulemin not slumped. I'm not saying Grabo is the best center in the game but he is a very good player and will definitely improve on those numbers. He had his slumps last year and needs to find more consistency for sure but I am positive he will.
Just a clarification, I didn't bring up Joe.

BTW Kule had 30 the year before, and Grabo had 29 assists, he had 28 last year with Kule scoring 7 before he was hurt. Draw your conclusion what Kule means to his stats. Coincidentally that was when Grabo went into one of his unproductive streaks.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
The guys you mention all bring ALOT more intangibles to the table than Grabo.

Regardless I think you missed the point or chose to ignore it, Grabo's career high in assists is 29. Not a total one would cite as a good playmaker of any renown. Now since you have demonstrated a knack for statistical manipulation. Look up the career high assists for the players you cited as comparables.

You might clue in then.
Quote:
Just a clarification, I didn't bring up Joe.

BTW Kule had 30 the year before, and Grabo had 29 assists, he had 28 last year with Kule scoring 7 before he was hurt. Draw your conclusion what Kule means to his stats. Coincidentally that was when Grabo went into one of his unproductive streaks.
You did suggest looking up their career highs (Joe Thornton being one of them) as if unless Grabo achieves the same numbers he is not an effective player.

Grabo is a very effective #2C and 29 assists while not award-worthy is also not anything to dismiss as the one pointer demonstrated. He has come close to the 60 pt mark the last two seasons and I feel when the 2nd line is finalized with either JVR, Frattin or whomever makes the cut he will certainly surpass that 60 pt marker.

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Interactif

Quote:
You did suggest looking up their career highs (Joe Thornton being one of them) as if unless Grabo achieves the same numbers he is not an effective player.

Grabo is a very effective #2C and 29 assists while not award-worthy is also not anything to dismiss as the one pointer demonstrated. He has come close to the 60 pt mark the last two seasons and I feel when the 2nd line is finalized with either JVR, Frattin or whomever makes the cut he will certainly surpass that 60 pt marker.
Again, I didn't bring Joe into the conversation.

When another poster brings up a silly comparison into the conversation, one usually refutes the point if they can, thus it is open for discussion.

Just as you didn't address the fact that Kule with 30 goals or 7 goals had minimal effect on Grabo's assists total, I take this as an admission of a lost point to Grabo enablers.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:09 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

Grabovski is a 2nd. line center, so for him to be in that category he'd have to be in the top 60.

Is he a top 60 centerman?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Fogelhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Grabovski is a 2nd. line center, so for him to be in that category he'd have to be in the top 60.

24th in points for all C, over the past two years.

------------------------------------------------------

I like Grabs, and he is a decent #2 C. With a legit #1 C, and a decent #3C who can play up if needed, I think a team could compete with Grabs at #2. My concern with him on the Leafs is questions around his long-term durability. How many times can a body take getting crunched like he does, before he ends up getting hurt, or worn down? I'm sure a clever person could come up with quite the Youtube video, highlighting some of the checks this guy has taken. To his credit, he is a pretty tough guy, and gets up when you wouldn't expect it... but for how long?

Last edited by Fogelhund: 11-29-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Interactif

Quote:

He's also a 2nd line C that hasn't seen a playoff game since 06-07 at the pro level.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:15 AM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:

Does that mean there are 30 #1Cs around the league?

This has no relevance for Grabo's status as a #2C, merely differentiating #1Cs from centers who happen to play on the first line, and #2Cs from centers who happen to play on the 2nd line. There are a few top 60 centers in the league (who actually play center, not just listed as center on NHL.com) who I would HATE to have as our #2C. I don't hate having Grabo there, but I'm not loving it, either.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Interactif

For those that refer to Grabo as a player that would be a monster in the playoffs, not when you look at his career playoff stats.

32 Games, a total of 13 points.

Reality check, to make matters worse these stats were achieved at levels less than the NHL level.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Fogelhund

Quote:
For those that refer to Grabo as a player that would be a monster in the playoffs, not when you look at his career playoff stats.

Reality check, to make matters worse these stats were achieved at levels less than the NHL level.
Really stretching to prove your point here. Looking at raw stats, without much of an understanding of them is pointless.

Corey Locke was the #1 point scorer for the Bulldogs in that AHL playoffs... just a fine predictor of how he would do in the NHL.

He's played in a number of WC and other tournaments, 54 points in 56 games... basically playoff like competition....

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 11:09 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 10-5

Quote:

What happens in the past doesn't determine what will happen in the future.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Leafsman

Quote:

When another poster brings up a silly comparison into the conversation, one usually refutes the point if they can, thus it is open for discussion.

Just as you didn't address the fact that Kule with 30 goals or 7 goals had minimal effect on Grabo's assists total, I take this as an admission of a lost point to Grabo enablers.
It wasn't a silly comparison and showed that even strength Grabo has decent numbers. No one will argue he's as good as the players listed at the moment but those stats showed that he is a decent 2C.

As for the Kule comment. It is not far-fetched to believe that had Kule performed the same as the year previous his stats would be better. How much better is impossible to say. The year before Grabo did have 29 goals which ranks him 11th among centers which may explain his lower assists as he was shooting the puck more.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Leafsman

Quote:

Last year he was 31st.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Leafsman

Quote:

Just to also clarify I believe the poster was justifying the relevance of amount of assists and not Grabovski's play compared to the people listed. Someone said 29 assists was not impressive.

Old
11-29-2012, 12:24 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
What happens in the past doesn't determine what will happen in the future.
Maybe the Leafs should see if Vesa Toskala is still looking for an NHL gig then.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 12:27 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 10-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Maybe the Leafs should see if Vesa Toskala is still looking for an NHL gig then.
Is this random thought suppose to have relevance?

Old
11-29-2012, 12:32 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Is this random thought suppose to have relevance?
Not random...does your statement only hold true for Mikhail Grabovski or is it just a general statement about anybody or anything?

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 12:42 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 10-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Not random...does your statement only hold true for Mikhail Grabovski or is it just a general statement about anybody or anything?
In this case Grabovski but would hold true for anyone in a similar situation.

Random would have made more sense.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:44 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:

he just played with 2 guys one who got 60 pt's and another who got 30 goals, that a pretty good to elite offensive 2nd line he's not gonna get much better then that and he didn't get 60.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 02:52 PM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
he just played with 2 guys one who got 60 pt's and another who got 30 goals, that a pretty good to elite offensive 2nd line he's not gonna get much better then that and he didn't get 60.
JVR is gonna have to fit into the top 6 somewhere. So clearly the lines aren't finalized.

When Kulemin was going good Grabs almost broke 60 and had 29 goals. He was around 26 at the time. Last year he came pretty close on a fairly dysfunctional team.

Once we see some consistency in the lineup and especially his line, we will see his full potential. It is not absurd to believe he hasn't maxxed out his potential already at 28. He has improved his game consistently over the last few years and no reason to believe he won't continue. Without question Grabo is a legit and very effective 2C.

I know I am on my own here but with further development I could see him being a 1C if we do not land one soon. That is my own personal belief/gutfeeling.

Old
11-29-2012, 05:52 PM
bunjay

Quote:
So now according to Grabo apologists, PP stats don't count. If Grabo had any semblance how to use his teammates as say a Joe Thornton does, maybe PP stats would count to the Grabo apologists.

Unbelievable.
No, it's just important to compare stats that are actually comparable. Last year Grabovski was 61st amongst centers in PP time. His even strenght assist production was good even with his former 30-goal-scoring winger forgetting how to play hockey. But to you he is a puck hog with tunnel vision who has low hockey IQ and doesnt know how to use his linemates. You're so far off the mark that it's incredibly easy to show it. And the best you can do is 'OMG Thornton comparison, sooooo ridicuLOL!'

You keep denigrating his assist numbers. His assists are about 80% even strength, and a very simple sorted list shows that you're just wrong.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 06:10 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
No, it's just important to compare stats that are actually comparable. Last year Grabovski was 61st amongst centers in PP time. His even strenght assist production was good even with his former 30-goal-scoring winger forgetting how to play hockey. But to you he is a puck hog with tunnel vision who has low hockey IQ and doesnt know how to use his linemates. You're so far off the mark that it's incredibly easy to show it. And the best you can do is 'OMG Thornton comparison, sooooo ridicuLOL!'

You keep denigrating his assist numbers. His assists are about 80% even strength, and a very simple sorted list shows that you're just wrong.
What did Grabo do to this guy? Is it his last name or something? Everyone should know that he plays low tier 1C top tier 2C production, and his overall play is not weak by any measure. Sure you could have Crosby and Malkin as 1c 2c, doesnt mean you win the cup every year though.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 06:27 PM
bunjay

Quote:

Huh? What it shows was that it was never Kulemin 'doing all the heavy lifting' with Grabovski just happening to be along for the ride in 10-11. There is absolutely no way to spin this in a negative way, it's amusing that you'd actually assume this reveals some sort of flaw.

Old
11-29-2012, 06:28 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
What did Grabo do to this guy?
No idea, but apparently the scars are deep

Old
11-29-2012, 06:29 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Huh? What it shows was that it was never Kulemin 'doing all the heavy lifting' with Grabovski just happening to be along for the ride in 10-11. There is absolutely no way to spin this in a negative way, it's amusing that you'd actually assume this reveals some sort of flaw.
This happens a lot.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:51 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
No idea, but apparently the scars are deep
Maybe he doesn't like Pineapples?

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote