HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Broken Runner - replace holder as well?

Old
11-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

vCash: 500
Broken Runner - replace holder as well?

Hey hockey players,

So last night was the first time ever that I've broken a steel runner. I had my RBK's for 5+ years before getting my Grafs last year and never had an issue with the runners. Eitherway, I love my grafs

Anyway, I've been having a reoccurring issue with the the same holder over the past several months. The screw that tightens the runner would become lose. I'm sure I skated more than a number of times while it was lose as I could feel the difference, and last night was no exception. I felt something was wrong immediately and after a shift I got hold of a screw driver and tightened it up. A period and a half later, snap! Thankfully I wasn't hurt on the play and managed to get off the ice right away, and the ref saw the broken blade and got it before anyone else got injured.

So I have a theory that the reason the runner lost strength was from the constant vibration from being lose in the holder. I haven't diagnosed the holder yet, but I suspect the threading is bad. Has this ever happened with any of you? If the threading is bad then it leads me to think I need to get an entire new holder as well, but again I've never experienced this issue before.

Thanks in advance!

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

So after calling the LHS that is actually knowledgable of skates, and Grafs in particular, they mentioned that the issue may lie in the alignment of the holder itself. Apparently grafs have been known to be off by just a little bit, which would cause more stress on the blade and the holder in general. So I'm going to re-align the holder and get replacement runners.

Old
11-26-2012, 05:16 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
So after calling the LHS that is actually knowledgable of skates, and Grafs in particular, they mentioned that the issue may lie in the alignment of the holder itself. Apparently grafs have been known to be off by just a little bit, which would cause more stress on the blade and the holder in general. So I'm going to re-align the holder and get replacement runners.
Yes, definitely check to see if the holders are on straight first as that can be a big issue, but if there haven't been any issues with bent steel or sharpening issues, then a misaligned holder is unlikely.

From what I've read and heard, along with my own experience with my G35's, loose runner screws are common with Graf cobra/nt lite holders & steel. No biggie, just dip the screw in some blue loctite and you'll be fine. No more loose runner.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
Yes, definitely check to see if the holders are on straight first as that can be a big issue, but if there haven't been any issues with bent steel or sharpening issues, then a misaligned holder is unlikely.

From what I've read and heard, along with my own experience with my G35's, loose runner screws are common with Graf cobra/nt lite holders & steel. No biggie, just dip the screw in some blue loctite and you'll be fine. No more loose runner.
Interesting. I haven't been aware of any sharping issues and I usually go to the best sharpeners in the area. I'll just have them take a look and if its straight, I'll just replace the runner and use the blue loctite you mentioned. Thanks!

Old
11-27-2012, 09:29 AM
TLow97

Last night I actually lost a screw for one of my runners. I have Reebok 12K's. Any idea where I can replace the screw?

TLow97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Hit up a good shop like General Sports or Westwood. I think Sports World USA in EP is good as well. They will fix it up possibly even free of charge.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote