HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does anders lee sign with the isles after this season?

View Poll Results: does anders lee sign with the islanders when he finishes college
yes 29 42.65%
no 39 57.35%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-18-2012, 11:49 AM
  #1
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 6,272
vCash: 500
Does anders lee sign with the isles after this season?

does he?

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:19 PM
  #2
BennyBST
Registered User
 
BennyBST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fairfield CT
Country: United States
Posts: 1,990
vCash: 500
I think Lee is over-hyped to be honest. He is no Brock Nelson. He probably is a solid third liner at best. He can dominate NCAA games but disappears a lot. I think he'll make some excuse saying that "I'll have a better opportunity in another organization." I think we get too wrapped around certain guys. I've learned from losing Gregoire, Kessel and Petrov that it's really not a big deal. Are those guys producing? No not really. Are they NHL ready? Hell no.

I'll be more disappointed if we don't sign Kichton instead. I hate how the loophole system works with college guys. There should be compensation, like the team that signs these guys has to offer a prospect or a compensatory pick, so we don't lose a guy for nothing. Kind of like how the Devils were awarded Scott Stevens for the Blues signing Brendan Shanahan. (albeit on a much smaller scale) you get my point though?

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:38 PM
  #3
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
I think Lee is over-hyped to be honest. He is no Brock Nelson. He probably is a solid third liner at best. He can dominate NCAA games but disappears a lot. I think he'll make some excuse saying that "I'll have a better opportunity in another organization." I think we get too wrapped around certain guys. I've learned from losing Gregoire, Kessel and Petrov that it's really not a big deal. Are those guys producing? No not really. Are they NHL ready? Hell no.

I'll be more disappointed if we don't sign Kichton instead. I hate how the loophole system works with college guys. There should be compensation, like the team that signs these guys has to offer a prospect or a compensatory pick, so we don't lose a guy for nothing. Kind of like how the Devils were awarded Scott Stevens for the Blues signing Brendan Shanahan. (albeit on a much smaller scale) you get my point though?
I'd like to see that type of rule in the new cba.

It doesn't seem fair that a team drafts a player, brings him to their prospect and training camps for development, only to see him say thanks but no thanks.

Isles have a glut of forward prospects. I don't think it'd be surprising, if Lee decides to go to a team with a weaker prospect pool, trying to get into the NHL asap.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:49 PM
  #4
seafoam
Registered User
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,089
vCash: 50
I think he will. He can play a very key role in our bottom six one day and posseses good leadership on and off the ice; or at least his captaincy would suggest that.

I also think he has top six potential. He is currently the leading scorer and goal scorer on ND with nine points and five goals in 11 games. Besides Lee, they have a few other goal scorers but it doesn't seem like ND is an offensive power house. I looked at there roster and they have three seniors, so Anders may be trying to carry the load too much. Plus, didn't he transition back to center? As the team's captain and number one center (I would assume) he might be trying to play more of a complete role and do too much.

At the end of the day, he is commiting to ND and his teammates so I hope he would he would do the same for the team who drafted him giving him an opportunity to play professional hockey, which he turned down football for.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:12 PM
  #5
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I'd like to see that type of rule in the new cba.

It doesn't seem fair that a team drafts a player, brings him to their prospect and training camps for development, only to see him say thanks but no thanks.

Isles have a glut of forward prospects. I don't think it'd be surprising, if Lee decides to go to a team with a weaker prospect pool, trying to get into the NHL asap.
But, international draftees can do the same (from countries with international agreements with the NHL). CHL guys can go back into the draft, or become FAs like Kitchon, if drafted after his first year of eligibility.

Its not really an NCAA loophole as much as its a loophole period. I like it to be honest. You can't hold on to guys forever.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:32 PM
  #6
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
But, international draftees can do the same (from countries with international agreements with the NHL). CHL guys can go back into the draft, or become FAs like Kitchon, if drafted after his first year of eligibility.

Its not really an NCAA loophole as much as its a loophole period. I like it to be honest. You can't hold on to guys forever.
I'd like to see teams offer the prospect an ELC contract, based on where the player was drafted. If the player rejects the team's ELC offer, the team gets compensated with a pick.The player's rights are not held onto forever and the team does not get screwed over.


Losing Lee would be unfortunate for the NYI. He's got 2nd/3rd line potential.
But, can you imagine how much worse the Ducks situation must be? Justin Schultz looks like a stud, drawing comparisons to a young Berard.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 03:49 PM
  #7
Riddick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,332
vCash: 500
heres a better question: assuming the season is lost, with no CBA CAN he sign with the Islanders?

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 03:56 PM
  #8
NYI78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Milford CT
Country: United States
Posts: 711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I'd like to see teams offer the prospect an ELC contract, based on where the player was drafted. If the player rejects the team's ELC offer, the team gets compensated with a pick.The player's rights are not held onto forever and the team does not get screwed over.


Losing Lee would be unfortunate for the NYI. He's got 2nd/3rd line potential.
But, can you imagine how much worse the Ducks situation must be? Justin Schultz looks like a stud, drawing comparisons to a young Berard.
unless lee's skating improves he wont be better than a bottom 6 forward..he's not a 20 year old prospect either he'll be 23 going into next year...its time for him to **** or get off the pot

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:17 PM
  #9
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 6,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
unless lee's skating improves he wont be better than a bottom 6 forward..he's not a 20 year old prospect either he'll be 23 going into next year...its time for him to **** or get off the pot
from the very little i have scene of lee i would say his skating is one of his strengths, is that not accurate?

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:19 PM
  #10
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
unless lee's skating improves he wont be better than a bottom 6 forward..he's not a 20 year old prospect either he'll be 23 going into next year...its time for him to **** or get off the pot
Newsday said the isles had tried to sign Lee over the summer and he rejected their offer, went back to college. Sounds like the isles think he has nhl potential.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:38 PM
  #11
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Officer Clutterbuck
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
from the very little i have scene of lee i would say his skating is one of his strengths, is that not accurate?
Totally not accurate. He's really not a good skater, it's always been the weakest part of his game.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:35 PM
  #12
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I'd like to see teams offer the prospect an ELC contract, based on where the player was drafted. If the player rejects the team's ELC offer, the team gets compensated with a pick.The player's rights are not held onto forever and the team does not get screwed over.
That's pretty fair.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:34 PM
  #13
Beastrt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
This is gonna be tricky, if they close the loophole he will sign with us. There is also a chance the loophole is closed, but that he will be grandfathered in and he can choose to be a FA. The real question is why hasnt he signed already, he does seem like a loyal guy to ND and wants to finish school. Hopefully, he will be loyal to us for drafting him but only time will tell. Has he waited this long to have his choice of where he wants to go and risk injury and money? I hope not

Beastrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 05:32 AM
  #14
BillD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,128
vCash: 500
Lee has stated many times that he wants to finish his education and graduate from ND. If the Isles want to sign him to an ELC it will be a question of what money they can agree on. Lee was a 6th round pick, but after a successful, but not great college career, he will expect more than average 6th round money. The Isles will likely not throw 1st round money at him, so there will be room for disagreement.
Lee was a 6th rounder more because it was not known if he would choose football over hockey. If he was clear about choosing hockey he could have been drafted in the 3rd or possibly late 2nd round. He has skating issues that need to be resolved, and the fact that he is already 22, will be 23 when he graduates, is both a pro and con for his value. As a 23 year old he should have already resolved his skating and other hockey related skills. On the other hand, at 23 he is emotionally more mature than typical 3rd/4th year draftee, and he has had the physical stature of an NHLer since graduating HS.
I feel the Isles will try to sign him for no more than 3rd round money, Lee will choose to test free agency, and we will lose him.

BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:09 AM
  #15
luki here
Registered User
 
luki here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vienna
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,277
vCash: 500
They should absolutely close the loophole. What schultz did was very low.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:37 PM
  #16
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
They should absolutely close the loophole. What schultz did was very low.
It will be very, very difficult for the players to let anything like this go. I fear that stipulation is going to remain. Remember, you still have a college prospect for at least 4 years (naturally including any he might spend ahead of time in prep school or the USHL). With the junior kids, they can go right back into the draft within two years and if it's a later round guy, then you get nothing as compensation for him (you get a 2nd rounder if your first rounder doesn't end up signing with you and opts back into the draft).

Also, don't forget that any college kid can walk after college if he really wants to. He just doesn't sign and then becomes a UFA. Most are or would be too old to reenter the draft.

I believe the option to reenter the draft ends when you're 21, if not 20.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:47 PM
  #17
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastrt View Post
This is gonna be tricky, if they close the loophole he will sign with us. There is also a chance the loophole is closed, but that he will be grandfathered in and he can choose to be a FA. The real question is why hasnt he signed already, he does seem like a loyal guy to ND and wants to finish school. Hopefully, he will be loyal to us for drafting him but only time will tell. Has he waited this long to have his choice of where he wants to go and risk injury and money? I hope not
Actually, stipulation or not, Lee never HAS to sign with the Isles. If he doesn't want to be here for whatever reason, then Snow needs to move his rights before he can become an UFA, be that next spring or the spring thereafter, should he play his senior year at ND.

Also, what do you think the owners can do to alleviate this problem in the future? In NCAA kids, they already have the longest period of prospect rights, at least amongst North Americans. I'm still fuzzy on what exactly happens with these Euro-kids who aren't signed within two years of their draft. As I understand it now, the rights are retained as long as the NHL team 'officially' makes them an offer, even if they refuse it. One way or another, a team can NEVER fully assure that a pick will sign with them. The picks ALWAYS have the option to reenter the draft or wait things out until unrestricted free agency comes (age-dependent).

The only difference is the timetables.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 12:20 PM
  #18
ndgolden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
My advice is to relax and realize he cannot skate and is damn near 30! Why lose sleep over a lowly 6 round pick? There is also no way his score sheet from this weekend is correct either.

ndgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 12:40 PM
  #19
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgolden View Post
My advice is to relax and realize he cannot skate and is damn near 30! Why lose sleep over a lowly 6 round pick? There is also no way his score sheet from this weekend is correct either.
Lee was born in 1990. Does he have some aging disease we aren't aware of?

MacDonald plays quality top 4 mins for the isles. He's a 6th round pick.

Martin's a fan favorite for a very good reason. He's a 5th rounder.

Moulson's what a 7th or 9th rounder?

Isles tried to sign Lee, so they must see nhl potential there.If ends up nothing more then a trade chip for Snow down the road, that's preferrable to seeing him sign elsewhere and the isles getting nothing for him.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 12:51 PM
  #20
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Actually, stipulation or not, Lee never HAS to sign with the Isles. If he doesn't want to be here for whatever reason, then Snow needs to move his rights before he can become an UFA, be that next spring or the spring thereafter, should he play his senior year at ND.

Also, what do you think the owners can do to alleviate this problem in the future? In NCAA kids, they already have the longest period of prospect rights, at least amongst North Americans. I'm still fuzzy on what exactly happens with these Euro-kids who aren't signed within two years of their draft. As I understand it now, the rights are retained as long as the NHL team 'officially' makes them an offer, even if they refuse it. One way or another, a team can NEVER fully assure that a pick will sign with them. The picks ALWAYS have the option to reenter the draft or wait things out until unrestricted free agency comes (age-dependent).

The only difference is the timetables.
Teams with deep pockets and weak prospect pools, will be making Lee offers if he gets to the ufa market. His agent wouldn't be doing his job, if he didn't encourage Lee to see what other teams will offer.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 02:57 PM
  #21
Kvashinator12
Registered User
 
Kvashinator12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: United States
Country: United States
Posts: 7,022
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Anders Lee can be a good 3rd liner, and I don't think his upside is much higher than that. I could be wrong, but I think Isles fans have overrated him. I don't think he is in the same stratosphere as Brock Nelson

Kvashinator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 05:15 PM
  #22
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
It will be very, very difficult for the players to let anything like this go.
Actually this is one of those bargaining chips I am guessing the players will be more then happy to part with if they get something back. In all honesty what does does 30 year old, or even 22 year old player care about some guy who figures a way around the rules and gets a sweetheart deal for proving nothing. It's not a thing I expect the NHLPA giving up willingly without a small fight, but I do think it's on their list of stuff to give up to try sweeten the pot without second thought


Last edited by boredmale: 11-25-2012 at 05:26 PM.
boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 05:25 PM
  #23
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,900
vCash: 500
I don't know why everyone is putting Lee down by saying he's only a 3rd liner. Honestly, that is why I like him. We have a ton of guys who project as top-6 or bust type players, we need guys like Lee to build the bottom-6 around IMO.

Is it the end of the world if we lose him? No, but I definitely won't be happy.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 05:34 PM
  #24
Kvashinator12
Registered User
 
Kvashinator12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: United States
Country: United States
Posts: 7,022
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I don't know why everyone is putting Lee down by saying he's only a 3rd liner. Honestly, that is why I like him. We have a ton of guys who project as top-6 or bust type players, we need guys like Lee to build the bottom-6 around IMO.

Is it the end of the world if we lose him? No, but I definitely won't be happy.

I think that isn't putting him down, but more being realistic. A year ago the expectations were a 1st liner, and people were orgasming over him, and I am glad people have toned down expectations. If he is better than a 3rd liner that's great, but if he is a good 3rd liner that is just as good as well.

Kvashinator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 06:18 PM
  #25
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12 View Post
I think that isn't putting him down, but more being realistic. A year ago the expectations were a 1st liner, and people were orgasming over him, and I am glad people have toned down expectations. If he is better than a 3rd liner that's great, but if he is a good 3rd liner that is just as good as well.
I've read scouting reports saying he's a potential 2nd or 3rd liner. I never looked at Lee as a possible 1st liner.

Let's say he just develops into a high end 3rd liner.

How many fans don't want 5th rounder Matt Martin traded because of what he brings to the bottom 6?
I think some of our fans are down playing Lee's potential because the isles have a deep prospect pool and they know he can bolt if he chooses to under the old cba rules.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.