HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Discussion VII:I Stole A Thousand Beggars' Change And Gave It To The Rich

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2012, 03:23 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
NHL Lockout Discussion VII:I Stole A Thousand Beggars' Change And Gave It To The Rich

Continue.

Part I: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1284387
Part II: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1286167
Part III: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1287493
Part IV: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1295449
Part V: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1295995
Part VI: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1296423
Quote:
OK we are now allowing lockout talk on the NHL Talk forum. If you would like to voice your opinions of the negotiations and those involved you may do so here.

A few ground rules before we get started:
  • All site rules will still apply, obviously
  • You may post links to news stories, but we will not have a separate thread for that. If you only want news without the discussion there is a thread on the BoH
  • This will be the ONLY Lockout discussion thread on the NHL Talk forum. Do not post new threads for the purpose of discussing the lockout.
  • People are entitled to their opinions. If you have an issue with a post and you feel it breaks a rule, report it and let us handle it. Otherwise your options are to reply in a respectful manner to correct the perceived error, or simply ignore the user. Vigilante troll hunting will result in infractions.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:28 PM
SidTheKid8787

Friedman has a good piece today about the intricacies of decertification:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...questions.html

Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Folks.. economic talk is to be used for hockey. We don't need to jump into global economics discussion.

Old
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

From previous thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
No, I see the business taking a big hit and stagnating.
I could see stagnation, but eventually revenues will start to grow again. However if it stagnates or grows, the no gross dollar amount decrease after year 2 is meaningless. It only matters if there is significant decline of revenue after year 2, which I don't see happening.

The owners should just give them that one.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:31 PM
delirium trigger

Legal precedence may be there, doesn't mean its law. The decert may be proven to be illegal, or the lockout might, either based on past precedence, but not without a potentially lengthy legal case.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:31 PM
yoss

Any update on who might've hacked into Oneil's twitter account? There needs to be a full investigation into that.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
From previous thread:

I could see stagnation, but eventually revenues will start to grow again. However if it stagnates or grows, the no gross dollar amount decrease after year 2 is meaningless. It only matters if there is significant decline of revenue after year 2, which I don't see happening.

The owners should just give them that one.
Yes, you're right.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoss View Post
Any update on who might've hacked into Oneil's twitter account? There needs to be a full investigation into that.

Maybe it was krys barch

Zing!!

Old
11-23-2012, 03:34 PM
delirium trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoss View Post
Haha

Old
11-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Jetsfan204*

Quote:
It after the 2nd year though, I think revenues would take a hit for the shortened season and maybe the backlash might effect the next year, but I'd imagine it'll start growing after that again.

I think the fans/sponsors who are not going to come back will do that right away and then slowly more fans will come back and new fans will take interest. I don't think people who come back will stop watching/buying tickets/merchandise after year due to this lockout.
I can only speak for myself, but i'm pretty sure this lockout will have a deeper impact then just next year. For myself, I spent way too much money on the NHL last year, thousands of dollars(we just got back the jets, and I may have gone a little spending crazy). As a consumer I feel like I got a giant slap in the face by the owners after they have their "best ever business year"(http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=559630), and then not only lock the players out, they lock the fans out. Personally as a consumer I feel the only way I can have my voice heard, even if it isn't, is to withhold my money. It seems to be the only language the owners understand. And not for just 1 year, because that would do nothing but welcome more lockouts. Of course I would be willing to put that aside if they could come to some sort of deal before another season is lost, but if they can't, they can kiss my ass goodbye as a consumer of NHL product, possibly forever.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:36 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

The NHL should issue an ultimatum, the PA accepts their final offer or the whole season is cancelled. I'm sick of the back and forth games and you all know damn well the season is lost anyway.

Us fans deserve better.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 50
Henrik Lundqvist showing the less smart players how you do it.

Henrik Lundqvist ‏@HLundqvist30

Big part of my life is missing.. I don't think I ever felt this frustrated over anything... Hope to see you all at the Garden very soon!!

Old
11-23-2012, 03:37 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
According to the Washington Post, Troy Brouwer, one of the Capitals' two player representatives to the union, was frustrated by the recent comments made by his teammates about the NHLPA and the current lockout.

Within a two-day span, defenceman Roman Hamrlik spoke out against the NHLPA's negotiations and goaltender Michal Neuvirth stated that the lockout was more about "several superstars with big contracts," than the rest of the players.
Neuvirth really struck a nerve with that comment. Probably because it's bang on.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan204 View Post
Of course I would be willing to put that aside if they could come to some sort of deal before another season is lost, but if they can't, they can kiss my ass goodbye as a consumer of NHL product, possibly forever.
But the point (missed by me too ) is that fans aren't going to come back and then leave, they'll either not come back or slowly come back. That might mean no growth but it isn't likely to mean less revenue, so all this talk about guaranteed raises is silly.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I can only speak for myself, but i'm pretty sure this lockout will have a deeper impact then just next year. For myself, I spent way too much money on the NHL last year, thousands of dollars(we just got back the jets, and I may have gone a little spending crazy). As a consumer I feel like I got a giant slap in the face by the owners after they have their "best ever business year"(http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=559630), and then not only lock the players out, they lock the fans out. Personally as a consumer I feel the only way I can have my voice heard, even if it isn't, is to withhold my money. It seems to be the only language the owners understand. And not for just 1 year, because that would do nothing but welcome more lockouts. Of course I would be willing to put that aside if they could come to some sort of deal before another season is lost, but if they can't, they can kiss my ass goodbye as a consumer of NHL product, possibly forever.
Right, but you'll do that right away, you won't watch for a year, then stop watching.

Most who will stop will do it right away, so the revenue hit will be immediate, not gradual.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Some Other Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
The NHL should issue an ultimatum, the PA accepts their final offer or the whole season is cancelled. I'm sick of the back and forth games and you all know damn well the season is lost anyway.

Us fans deserve better.
Definitely. Would make it far easier for the PA to illustrate how the league wasn't interested in bargaining in good faith.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Stuck in Socal

I'm starting to lose all interest in this.

I hope the NHL loses its contract with NBC and we get 1 game a week on spike tv.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Matador

The Fehr comment is so misleading. The NHL is losing $18-20 million in potential revenues, not profits. You cant just come out and say the NHL would have been better off accepting the NHLPA's proposal because it is less than the lost revenue. From an opportunity cost point of view, the league is better off locking the players out.

No wonder there has been no deal yet with the rhetoric flying around. I still question whether the NHLPA understands the difference between revenue and profits, as well as opportunity cost.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

vCash: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Neuvirth really struck a nerve with that comment. Probably because it's bang on.
Exactly.

Consider that about 12% of the NHLPA has a contract term over 5 years (and 6% has a contract longer than 6 years). Tell me why a 5 year contract limit would matter to the remaining 88% of the player membership, who may never see such a term?

Old
11-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Jetsfan204*

Quote:
Right, but you'll do that right away, you won't watch for a year, then stop watching.

Most who will stop will do it right away, so the revenue hit will be immediate, not gradual.
Sounds good to me.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

vCash: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
The Fehr comment is so misleading. The NHL is losing $18-20 million in potential revenues, not profits. You cant just come out and say the NHL would have been better off accepting the NHLPA's proposal because it is less than the lost revenue. From an opportunity cost point of view, the league is better off locking the players out.

No wonder there has been no deal yet with the rhetoric flying around. I still question whether the NHLPA understands the difference between revenue and profits, as well as opportunity cost.
The NHLPA most certainly understands. They phrase it in that way so the casual fan may not understand.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Sounds good to me.
No "soft landings" here.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:52 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Henrik Lundqvist showing the less smart players how you do it.

Henrik Lundqvist ‏@HLundqvist30

Big part of my life is missing.. I don't think I ever felt this frustrated over anything... Hope to see you all at the Garden very soon!!
i really hate henrik lundqvist...for obvious reasons.

but the dude got it right. Says the right things, always does the right thing, class act, super star talent...great dude. I'd let Joel sleep with my daughter if it meant my son had Henriks skill set.

The NHLPA and BOG should both stop talking to the press. Every statement is the same exact pile of steaming stinky manure that we have heard from them the past 70 or so days. Give it a break. Fehr, you wont come off your de-linked proposals. We all know it. NHL, they wont budge on contracts til you do it. We all know that. How can you two sides, full of "educated" people who have the "best interests" of everyone involved(minus the fans) not see it?

Old
jeety mcjeet
I know a thing or 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
Friedman has a good piece today about the intricacies of decertification:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...questions.html
Very interesting article, Friedman has become my favorite hockey writer. After reading that article its clear that neither side would want to find out what happens if the players proceed with legitimate decertification and anti trust lawsuits. And by that I mean none of the "big 4" would want to find out the result.

Old
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
The NHLPA most certainly understands. They phrase it in that way so the casual fan may not understand.
You believe that most NHLPA members know the distinction between profits and revenues?

The line "The league had record revenues and still want to cut our salaries" gets really old.

Closed Thread