Notices

Globe Sunday Notes Column

Old
11-25-2012, 09:02 AM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Globe Sunday Notes Column

Very interesting stuff imo this must read- couldn't agree more with the featured article on the lockout. The owners are up 35-3 here and no reason to try trick plays and throw the ball deep (wait? sounds like my Patriots).

The NHL owners cleary are going to get what the NBA and NFL has percentage-wise and do some restructuring on contract length, FA age, Arbitration age and tenure, and entry level parameters- it now comes down to the 'make whole' figure.

Here is hoping some owners call off the dogs and don't have to drain every ounce of blood out of the NHLPA like a Columbian retaliation drug hit.

Anyways, it needs to stop before the children in this squabble are all bitter, angry, and unforgiving. (I'd characterize US, sponsers, and broadcast holders in that group)

The spotlight has been shining but not that brightly yet- even a few of my NBA buddies had to take a second thought to remember they had a lockout last year until Christmas.

This to shall pass- but only if this settled very, very, very shortly like in December at the latest.

HAMILTON, SVEDBERG, THOMAS

for those sick of the CBA stuff, this alone is worth the read.

For those who remember Larry Robinson of the Habs- big, rangy, offensively gifted, very nice but could be mean if had to, but generally an honest monster on the blue line. Dougie sounds just like him. I have only seen him live in one OHL game but it was against London in the elimination Cup game and he looked exactly like that. I've heard the Blake comparisons but don't see it. Blake could be a mean sob at times and not the offensive minded guy like Hamilton.

No matter what, Chiarelli's comments are so positive and he usually holds back a bit. Going to a veteran team like Boston and already having friends in the organization is a big plus. He can get his skates wet like Seguin with this group.

I've seen Svedberg a bunch, and we sat behind him for a few Providence games and he is super competitive like Chiarelli said. I'm not saying Thomas like or even Khudobin- who both look like they would throw the kitchen sink at the puck to stop it if they had one on them, but he's battling out there. Great comment to hear Chiarelli say he could play in the NHL if had to right now. Yowza.

THOMAS? why do I think there will be a 60 Minutes episode on this guy in a few years, and maybe even the cover but atleast a strong feature in the annual SI issue of Where Are They Now.

I can't decide whether it feels like a million years ago the Bruins won the Cup and Thomas was the man, or it was just yesterday....

Took the dog to the dog park this morning and for the first time wore a winter hat and scarf- it felt like hockey weather; and as I stood watching the dogs play I replied to a friend of mine when she asked me if I was thinking about football, I said no, 'I'm thinking about what I can get for a player on my hockey team in the SIM league I belong to'

see, hockey is creeping back in....my kid starts tomorrow, the weather is turning cold, put me down for optimistic this ends before Christmas (one month from today btw)...I'll forgive but every day I am getting more iritated especially when this could be done by dinner today if they really tried.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 09:32 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm so sick of these money battles that I don't care if they come back or not. Too much alternate entertainment available. I've missed a single digit of Bruins games in my life when not in the Navy,but I've had it,if it comes back it comes back,if not,oh well!

BNHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
There is an outstanding piece in the Globe about Chris Niland too. I highly recommend the read.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 09:45 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
There is an outstanding piece in the Globe about Chris Niland too. I highly recommend the read.
saw it and scanned it, will definitely read it. If he is sincere and really wants peace and happiness he can find it and if he spreads it and teaches it- awesome.

My favorite Nilan story is being the old Forum for game 7 in 1979 as a Canadiens recently drafted player. It was Don Cherry's last game in Boston and the too many men on the ice game. Knuckles was with a bunch of fresh faced Habs draftees like himself and when the Habs scrored to beat the Bruins Nilan couldn't hold back his emotion and scared the crap out of the other Habs guys. Nilan was clearly a Bruins diehard as I would have been regardless of who owned my rights.

Ironically, Ray Bourque was at the game and rooting for the Habs and said he was screaming and clapping as loud as ever. Two months later the Bruins drafted him

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 12:46 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

20th man Daniel Paille has made 5.7 million dollars in his 7 year career,about $127000 a year if it was stretched out over a normal guy's 45 year work life. They can all **** in a hat.

Old
11-25-2012, 08:10 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
For those who remember Larry Robinson of the Habs- big, rangy, offensively gifted, very nice but could be mean if had to, but generally an honest monster on the blue line. Dougie sounds just like him. I have only seen him live in one OHL game but it was against London in the elimination Cup game and he looked exactly like that. I've heard the Blake comparisons but don't see it. Blake could be a mean sob at times and not the offensive minded guy like Hamilton.
Let's cool off before comparing the guy to 2 HOFers, 1 of whom an inner tier HOFer. And Blake wasn't as offensive minded as Dougie? I guess that means we can expect 2 20+ goal seasons from Hamilton then as well.

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
20th man Daniel Paille has made 5.7 million dollars in his 7 year career,about $127000 a year if it was stretched out over a normal guy's 45 year work life. They can all **** in a hat.
If a normal guy has a talent that can get him 5.7 million dollars, good for him. I fail to see the problem with a person getting whatever a market will pay him.

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 10:42 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
If a normal guy has a talent that can get him 5.7 million dollars, good for him. I fail to see the problem with a person getting whatever a market will pay him.
The problem is you're now held hostage by a battle of millionaires you will continue to support with non stop escalating ticket and merchandise prices.What is it the players are crying about?

Old
11-25-2012, 11:38 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
The 20th man on the roster is closer to a Trent Whitfield than Daniel Paille, and his earnings aren't impressive. Paille had the benefit of being a 1st round pick and putting up some points early.

The owners essentially dictated the last CBA down to the players, got everything they ever wanted. Revenue went up 60%, the average value of the teams went up 50%, and the average salary of an NHL player went up 30%. What are the owners complaining about? That many of them chose to pay players more than they should? That many of them found ways to get around the system and pay players even more?

Last edited by dafoomie: 11-25-2012 at 11:51 PM.
dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:02 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
The 20th man on the roster is closer to a Trent Whitfield than Daniel Paille, and his earnings aren't impressive. Paille had the benefit of being a 1st round pick and putting up some points early.

The owners essentially dictated the last CBA down to the players, got everything they ever wanted. Revenue went up 60%, the average value of the teams went up 50%, and the average salary of an NHL player went up 30%. What are the owners complaining about? That many of them chose to pay players more than they should? That many of them found ways to get around the system and pay players even more?
Whitfield has made 2 million including $235000 last year with Providence. 1.5 million in NHL salary for 194 games and 500K+ for 1000 AHL games (probably another 500K). About $7700 per NHL game. He's a minor leaguer How anyone could defend either side here is beyond me.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:10 AM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
Whitfield has made 2 million including $235000 last year with Providence. 1.5 million in NHL salary for 194 games and 500K+ for 1000 AHL games (probably another 500K). About $7700 per NHL game. He's a minor leaguer How anyone could defend either side here is beyond me.
I think the players have given up the most thus far in the negotiations and haven't received very many concessions in exchange.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:42 AM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

the problem here is that as soon as the Owners make the players bend-over and give up a whole lot, the owners will try and circumvent the new CBA.

The owners are trying to make a deal that is foolproof or at least "stupid owner" proof.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:47 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
I think the players have given up the most thus far in the negotiations and haven't received very many concessions in exchange.
I simply don't care who is getting richer. This ain't some blue collar union fighting for health benefits and mortgage money. Saw Joe Thornton (65 million career earnings) griping yesterday. What fan in their right mind supports either side of this jackassathon?