HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Rumor

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2003, 03:53 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Prospect Rumor

There's talk on the Q board, that the Habs have notified the Halifax Mooseheads management that defensemen Steeve Villeneuve is going to be signed, and not returned to Halifax. Nothing official yet, but the Dogs do need some help on defense. Good news for the 20 year old if it's true.

Dogs open camp at 2 pm tomorrow.

Old
09-21-2003, 08:12 PM
Mathieu Lavergne
AKA Saku K.

Send a message via ICQ to Mathieu Lavergne
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
There's talk on the Q board, that the Habs have notified the Halifax Mooseheads management that defensemen Steeve Villeneuve is going to be signed, and not returned to Halifax. Nothing official yet, but the Dogs do need some help on defense. Good news for the 20 year old if it's true.

Dogs open camp at 2 pm tomorrow.
How come the Dogs need some help on defense?

Bouillon
Archer
Van Hoof
Holmqvist
Plante
Shasby
Beauchemin
One of Hainsey, Traverse, Dykhuis

That's already 8 defensemans. If he gets signed I highly doubt he will earn a spot with Hamilton, he will get sent down to the ECHL if they think it would be better for him development though IMO. I fail to see how the Dogs's defense is in the need.

Old
09-22-2003, 05:45 AM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku K.

Bouillon
Archer
Van Hoof
Holmqvist
Plante
Shasby
Beauchemin

That's already 8 defensemans. If he gets signed I highly doubt he will earn a spot with Hamilton, he will get sent down to the ECHL if they think it would be better for him development though IMO. I fail to see how the Dogs's defense is in the need.
I agree. Holmqvist is Tampa's top defensive prospect and with the return of Souray, a bunch of guys with NHL experience are going to get sent down to Hamilton strictly from the numbers game. If the Habs sign Villeneuve and/or MacLellan, I would see them sending them back to their Q teams as 20 year olds as there doesn't seem to be much room in Hamilton any more (unless you are a centreman or a good left winger).

Old
09-22-2003, 06:28 AM
RichardZednik#20

I say sing them and send them back to the Q. MacLellan is a big D-man that will take more time to devellope but could become some big for us in a couple of season(maybe in 5-6 years). Villeuneuve might just be depth but he is solid and could become a solid 7-8th D-man in his career.

Imagine having those D-man in future(very future :p ):

Komisarek (6'4'' 225lbs)
O'Byrnes (6'5'' 230 lbs)
Archer (6'4'' 220lbs)
MacLellan (6'4'' 225 lbs)
and with Markov and Hainsey for offence. I'm just dreaming but a good one none the less .

Old
09-22-2003, 06:30 AM
habsfan11

They might need him, keep in mind Holmqvist could be called up during the year, and if all goes well Hainsey will be with the habs sometime during the year. And its not that impossible to see one off (Boullion, Dyhuis and Traverse(maybe not)) get picked up on waivers, we could possibly need a depth d-men in hamilton soon.

Old
09-22-2003, 06:32 AM
RichardZednik#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_s_
They might need him, keep in mind Holmqvist could be called up during the year, and if all goes well Hainsey will be with the habs sometime during the year. And its not that impossible to see one off (Boullion, Dyhuis and Traverse(maybe not)) get picked up on waivers, we could possibly need a depth d-men in hamilton soon.
Yes but we could then bring him back from the Q if needed.

Old
09-22-2003, 07:02 AM
Sam I Am

I attended the final game in Pierrefond. To my mind, Villeneuve stood out as one of the few players on the ice that really seemed out of his depth. Generally, he looked small and lost out there.

I, for one, would rather the Habs take a chance on McLellan who is large and mobile...

Old
09-22-2003, 09:23 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku K.

Bouillon
Archer
Van Hoof
Holmqvist
Plante
Shasby
Beauchemin

I don't see Traverse or Dykhuis in Hamilton. Hainsey will see the NHL at some point this season, even if it's only for a few games here and there.

The Dogs will use 6 defensemen I assume, but carry a few extras for depth as callups happen often. Last year the Dogs had most of their top players called up throughout the season, so expect a few to move up and down.

Shasby, Plante, Van Hoof, should be on the lower pairings, adding a Villeneuve gives them more depth.

Old
09-22-2003, 09:27 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan
I agree. Holmqvist is Tampa's top defensive prospect and with the return of Souray, a bunch of guys with NHL experience are going to get sent down to Hamilton strictly from the numbers game. If the Habs sign Villeneuve and/or MacLellan, I would see them sending them back to their Q teams as 20 year olds as there doesn't seem to be much room in Hamilton any more (unless you are a centreman or a good left winger).

You missed the point of the rumor, the rumor (and it's just that a rumor) is that the Habs have contacted the Mooseheads to let them know they aren't getting their 20 year old defensemen back.

The Mooseheads (owned by ex Hab Bobby Smith) can start looking for another overager if they know Villeneuve wont be back. I'm sure they would be grateful to know as soon as possible since the team is off to a slow start as well.

Who knows if it's true or not, we'll find out soon enough. If it is, don't expect Villeneuve back in the Q.

Old
09-22-2003, 09:57 AM
Mike The Wall

Quote:
You missed the point of the rumor, the rumor (and it's just that a rumor) is that the Habs have contacted the Mooseheads to let them know they aren't getting their 20 year old defensemen back.

The Mooseheads (owned by ex Hab Bobby Smith) can start looking for another overager if they know Villeneuve wont be back. I'm sure they would be grateful to know as soon as possible since the team is off to a slow start as well.

Who knows if it's true or not, we'll find out soon enough. If it is, don't expect Villeneuve back in the Q.

Thank You for the update bud

Old
09-22-2003, 10:31 AM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:

The impact of the rumour is not lost on me (I am awake this Monday!!). It is just given all the other defencemen likely competing for spots in Hamilton (9 of them as per other threads going on right now), it just doesn't seem to make sense to have one or two of the junior tryouts also staying in the pros as opposed to getting signed and then being reassigned to their junior clubs.

Old
09-22-2003, 04:22 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan
The impact of the rumour is not lost on me (I am awake this Monday!!). It is just given all the other defencemen likely competing for spots in Hamilton (9 of them as per other threads going on right now), it just doesn't seem to make sense to have one or two of the junior tryouts also staying in the pros as opposed to getting signed and then being reassigned to their junior clubs.

But the person that the rumor came from seems to think or know that the Habs have contacted the Moose already, so who know what plans they have for the defensemen, but if he's signed, it seems unlikely he'll be back in the Q.

Old
09-22-2003, 08:06 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
But the person that the rumor came from seems to think or know that the Habs have contacted the Moose already, so who know what plans they have for the defensemen, but if he's signed, it seems unlikely he'll be back in the Q.
Thanks for the info Dan, I guess we all wait and see what happens over the next few weeks. All the contracts and assignments should be sorted out by then.

Closed Thread