HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XX: Horcoff/Hemsky/7th overall Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-08-2013, 09:11 PM
  #1
Oilbleeder
Moderator
Lead us to glory.
 
Oilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,822
vCash: 81
Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XX: Horcoff/Hemsky/7th overall Edition

I'll update with posts later.

__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/nemesis15/QuadSig-OB.gif <-- Credit goes to The Nemesis.
Oilbleeder is offline  
Old
06-08-2013, 09:12 PM
  #2
Auguste Escoffier
Registered User
 
Auguste Escoffier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 5,641
vCash: 500
It is going to be an interesting summer in Edmonton!

Auguste Escoffier is online now  
Old
06-08-2013, 09:16 PM
  #3
aleshemsky83
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,581
vCash: 500
I imagine well have to retain 3-4 million of Horcoffs cap hit to dead him, same with Hemsky, doesn't make a ton of sense, I'd rather buy them out then set that ridiculous a precedent.

aleshemsky83 is offline  
Old
06-08-2013, 09:39 PM
  #4
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...
 
stratedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,237
vCash: 50
Someone might be interested in Horcoff / Hemsky in around July 7th... after all the UFAs are signed, and plan A and plan B didn't quite work out for them.

The nice thing is with the amnesty buyouts, the Oilers can freely acquire the players they want as UFA signings, and then if they can't dump Hemsky/Horcoff for a pick/prospect/bag of pucks, they can fall back to a buyout.

I don't think that happens with Hemsky though, I think you utilize him for the year. He might be over paid but he's still a very useful asset. Horcoff though... if they can get a good 3C somehow, it miiiiight happen.

stratedge is offline  
Old
06-08-2013, 10:00 PM
  #5
stoff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
Someone might be interested in Horcoff / Hemsky in around July 7th... after all the UFAs are signed, and plan A and plan B didn't quite work out for them.

The nice thing is with the amnesty buyouts, the Oilers can freely acquire the players they want as UFA signings, and then if they can't dump Hemsky/Horcoff for a pick/prospect/bag of pucks, they can fall back to a buyout.

I don't think that happens with Hemsky though, I think you utilize him for the year. He might be over paid but he's still a very useful asset. Horcoff though... if they can get a good 3C somehow, it miiiiight happen.
Buyout period is before ufa period. Usually starts right after cup finals are over and lasts for 10 days.

stoff is offline  
Old
06-08-2013, 10:07 PM
  #6
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...
 
stratedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,237
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
Buyout period is before ufa period. Usually starts right after cup finals are over and lasts for 10 days.
Oh yeah. Makes sense too because how else are those guys going to find a team.

stratedge is offline  
Old
06-08-2013, 10:47 PM
  #7
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,550
vCash: 612
I can't wait for the buyout period, things will get really interesting, imo.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
06-08-2013, 10:53 PM
  #8
stoff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I can't wait for the buyout period, things will get really interesting, imo.
Me too. Definitely adds a whole new element that gms will have to work with. Especially since the draft and buyout period will overlap. Might have some players be bought out only if the team can make a trade.

Lots of strategy required this year which is why I'm glad we don't have tambo.

stoff is offline  
Old
06-08-2013, 11:29 PM
  #9
armandh01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,018
vCash: 500
You think Hemsky has enough value at half the cap hit to get John Mitchell from Colorado? He seems like a solid 3C. Assuming we retain some of Hemsky (1.5m). They could use a 2nd line RW.

armandh01 is offline  
Old
06-09-2013, 12:15 AM
  #10
Ringo13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
If the big Russian winger (Nishuchin??) is available at #7, I wonder if Pittsburgh would be interested. Neal would be awesome on the second line here and Pitt could shave some salary.
I don't think the 7th would be enough. I wonder what we might have to add.

Horcoff will end up in Florida or NYI.

Hemsky will be a Blue or a King.

Ringo13 is offline  
Old
06-09-2013, 12:21 AM
  #11
Ringo13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
I had a dream that the following trade happened:
Shea Weber for Yakupov, Klefbom, #7.

Seems far fetched, but reasonably fair!

Ringo13 is offline  
Old
06-09-2013, 12:23 AM
  #12
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo13 View Post
I had a dream that the following trade happened:
Shea Weber for Yakupov, Klefbom, #7.

Seems far fetched, but reasonably fair!
That is a lot to give up for any player. Weber is good but you take away Yak, Klefbom and the 7th and that is a lot of depth away from this team. Top players never get what fans think they are worth.

rockinghockey is offline  
Old
06-09-2013, 12:28 AM
  #13
Ringo13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
That is a lot to give up for any player. Weber is good but you take away Yak, Klefbom and the 7th and that is a lot of depth away from this team. Top players never get what fans think they are worth.
You are right that it is a lot to give up, but remember, 2 of the assets have not played an NHL game and Yak has played 40 some.
That said, I am not sure how I'd feel about this trade!

Ringo13 is offline  
Old
06-09-2013, 12:40 AM
  #14
tv14
Registered User
 
tv14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,025
vCash: 50
Buy out Horcoff and gain 5.5 million in capspace. Sign Nathan Horton to 5.25-5.75 per year and boom you traded Horcoff for Horton.

tv14 is offline  
Old
06-09-2013, 12:47 AM
  #15
Jet Walters
Registered User
 
Jet Walters's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
I imagine well have to retain 3-4 million of Horcoffs cap hit to dead him, same with Hemsky, doesn't make a ton of sense, I'd rather buy them out then set that ridiculous a precedent.
If you're considering 3-4 million to have them killed, I know a much cheaper guy. You are are correct in fact however, that offing them would set a ridiculous precedent and not make a lot of sense. Buyout it is. At least for Horcoff. Hemsky however should sleep with one eye open for the next little while.

Jet Walters is offline  
Old
06-09-2013, 12:52 AM
  #16
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,536
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo13 View Post
I had a dream that the following trade happened:
Shea Weber for Yakupov, Klefbom, #7.

Seems far fetched, but reasonably fair!
Overpay IMHO. Pronger went for way less than that when he came here. Try Petry, Marincin and a first.

Seedling is offline  
Old
06-09-2013, 01:07 AM
  #17
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,417
vCash: 500
I would be interested in Bickell and he would not cost as much.

What do you guys think about Roszival (sp), he is having a good Cup run with Chicago.

rockinghockey is offline  
Old
06-09-2013, 01:08 AM
  #18
McRib
2nd Rate Fan
 
McRib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,487
vCash: 500
Not so wild predictions... The Oilers have a short list of guys they want at #7 and if one of those guys isn't there, they'll move the pick (which is what will happen).

MacT will go hard after some of those guys bought out by other clubs.

Horcoff and Hemsky will be gone for sure. Probably a few more guys as well.

The Oilers won't trade any of the kids... this year. Let them develop for a bit longer so we know what type of assets we have on our hands. We're not close to the cap so we have room to sign vets and not have to move our younger guys (3 of the 5 are on ELCs still.)

Dubnyk will have competition... if he's still here.

Wouldn't surprise me if we see some movement with our D... I would bet that Petry is probably done in Edmonton. Nick Schultz maybe as well.

None of our assistant coaches will return.

We won't get Bickell or Horton, but MacT will press hard on them, too.

McRib is offline  
Old
06-09-2013, 01:08 AM
  #19
Burnt Biscuits
Registered User
 
Burnt Biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,686
vCash: 500
I was thinking Horcoff was tradeable to a cap floor team especially if we ate a little bit of salary, but hearing that he only want's to go to a contender I am not sure if there is a market for him even with half his salary retained. Buyout will probably be the best option, I would of preferred to hold onto him for one more year and then buyout, but if his heart isn't in it anymore it's probably best we just cut our losses.

Burnt Biscuits is online now  
Old
06-09-2013, 01:31 AM
  #20
Burnt Biscuits
Registered User
 
Burnt Biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Not so wild predictions... The Oilers have a short list of guys they want at #7 and if one of those guys isn't there, they'll move the pick (which is what will happen).

MacT will go hard after some of those guys bought out by other clubs.

Horcoff and Hemsky will be gone for sure. Probably a few more guys as well.

The Oilers won't trade any of the kids... this year. Let them develop for a bit longer so we know what type of assets we have on our hands. We're not close to the cap so we have room to sign vets and not have to move our younger guys (3 of the 5 are on ELCs still.)

Dubnyk will have competition... if he's still here.

Wouldn't surprise me if we see some movement with our D... I would bet that Petry is probably done in Edmonton. Nick Schultz maybe as well.

None of our assistant coaches will return.

We won't get Bickell or Horton, but MacT will press hard on them, too.
Why would you think this? MacT outlined what he was looking for in our d core and the description fit Petry pretty well. His mobility and ability to move the puck fits into the kind of style we are trying to build, do you see a readily available upgrade for him?

Burnt Biscuits is online now  
Old
06-09-2013, 01:45 AM
  #21
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec
 
nofool6110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,008
vCash: 500
7th for Couts from Philly.

nofool6110 is offline  
Old
06-09-2013, 02:34 AM
  #22
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Not so wild predictions... The Oilers have a short list of guys they want at #7 and if one of those guys isn't there, they'll move the pick (which is what will happen).
I've seen this idea mentioned several times before, and the issue I see with this is that most teams will probably have a very similar list to that of us.

If the guys we want at 7 are gone, the guys other teams want at 7 are probably also going to be gone, hence no reason for them to trade for 7.

If we end up trading the 7th pick, I think it will be before draft day.

SeriousBusiness is offline  
Old
06-09-2013, 02:44 AM
  #23
Bergeron47
Registered User
 
Bergeron47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
7th for Couts from Philly.
Bob Mackenzie said if Couturier was dealt it would be most likely for defense help. Something we don't have.

Bergeron47 is offline  
Old
06-09-2013, 02:57 AM
  #24
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Bob Mackenzie said if Couturier was dealt it would be most likely for defense help. Something we don't have.
Only way I could see it happening is if they are really high on Nurse. I would be all over it if it was there.

Spawn is offline  
Old
06-09-2013, 02:58 AM
  #25
Puritania
Skooma Addict
 
Puritania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,242
vCash: 1206
I still think a swap of Hemsky for Umberger would be beneficial. I've always been a fan of his, and I think he could get back to being an effective player with this club.

Puritania is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.