HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL thread: Esks in camp

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2013, 05:47 PM
  #501
oilers4cup
No More Koolade
 
oilers4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Last place
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,259
vCash: 50
@dantencer: Eskimos GM Ed Hervey on my show tonight at 8:30pm for those that want to hear him address the moves today...early FYI...

oilers4cup is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 05:50 PM
  #502
oilers4cup
No More Koolade
 
oilers4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Last place
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,259
vCash: 50
@sunterryjones: QB Masoli not a fit here. LB Lawrence can play. Wojt OK. No idea about Canadians coming back in trade. And 6/49 ticket is 6th pick in draft.

oilers4cup is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 05:54 PM
  #503
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg
 
Ser Woof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 11,282
vCash: 86
Salary dumps.... the salary cap in the CFL is stupid IMO but it is what it is.

Ser Woof is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 05:54 PM
  #504
402
#ualberta
 
402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Egypt
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
To bad we got nothing for Messam

402 is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 06:07 PM
  #505
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
@dantencer: Eskimos GM Ed Hervey on my show tonight at 8:30pm for those that want to hear him address the moves today...early FYI...
I'd like him to address why anybody should continue to buy tickets to see this football club.

Seems like a whole lot of Harold Ballard moves going on.

Replacement is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 06:23 PM
  #506
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'd like him to address why anybody should continue to buy tickets to see this football club.

Seems like a whole lot of Harold Ballard moves going on.

Ballard would never have got Mike Reilly and would have named Kerry Joseph as the starting QB next year with Jyles as the backup.

Stoneman89 is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 06:24 PM
  #507
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,991
vCash: 500
Next move...Kyle Koch. Please....

Stoneman89 is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 06:37 PM
  #508
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,608
vCash: 500
Gregor is saying he made too much money. If they didn't trade him, had to release him

awesomo is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 06:44 PM
  #509
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Gregor is saying he made too much money. If they didn't trade him, had to release him
That is the part that makes the most sense, and likely is the truth. Tillman left this team in a big hole regarding cap issues and unsigned free agents. A 6th round draft pick is the price to take the contract off your hands.

Stoneman89 is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 06:53 PM
  #510
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Ballard would never have got Mike Reilly and would have named Kerry Joseph as the starting QB next year with Jyles as the backup.
Mike Reilly comes cheaper than Joseph. Not sure what you're saying with that. Plus when we have a firesale of players who suddently "don't fit" you kind of wonder whats going on other than bean counting.

Cap Space? How could this club be anywhere near the cap?

Replacement is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 07:01 PM
  #511
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Mike Reilly comes cheaper than Joseph. Not sure what you're saying with that. Plus when we have a firesale of players who suddently "don't fit" you kind of wonder whats going on other than bean counting.

Cap Space? How could this club be anywhere near the cap?

Not cheaper. Better. Younger. More mobile. No comparison, really.

The firesale is the result of a new GM finding his own people that fit. Pretty common practice, especially for teams that finished in last place and got blown out in a playoff game they had no business being in.

When you have the amount of players unsigned that we had (and still have - thankyou Tillman), it's unlikely they or whoever their replacements are, will sign up for free. Obviously, they know what the cap is, and what they need to get there. When a guy is making the money Messam was, you sure as hell better be the feature tailback. And no way in hell that was happening with Hugh Charles on the team. Messam didn't exactly give them cause for a competition this year after crapping the bed last year on his return.

There's being cheap. And then there's working within a cap world. Ballard was cheap.

Stoneman89 is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 07:02 PM
  #512
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,763
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Exactly they couldn't get anything for the guy. We got something for a guy who wasn't going to play for us.
Messam was a Canadian...they have value in this League.

Not buying the cap space issue either. There has to be more to this...Hervey couldn't be that daft.

guymez is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 07:06 PM
  #513
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Not cheaper. Better. Younger. More mobile. No comparison, really.

The firesale is the result of a new GM finding his own people that fit. Pretty common practice, especially for teams that finished in last place and got blown out in a playoff game they had no business being in.

When you have the amount of players unsigned that we had (and still have - thankyou Tillman), it's unlikely they or whoever their replacements are, will sign up for free. Obviously, they know what the cap is, and what they need to get there. When a guy is making the money Messam was, you sure as hell better be the feature tailback. And no way in hell that was happening with Hugh Charles on the team. Messam didn't exactly give them cause for a competition this year after crapping the bed last year on his return.
I'm sold on the bolded at the moment. We'll see what Reilly can muster.

But really I'm not sure what direction this football club is going. Sure looks like some belt tightening last couple years.

Also I'm confused by a club that favored Messam over Boyd consistently and now deemed Messam absolutely expendable, and now has one ready running back in the whole org. That spells confusion to me. If Messam isn't the guy then he's not the guy. Why did they spend a lot of the season trying to forcefeed this with a guy "who clearly didn't want to be here"

Sounds like random decisions and yet more confusion to me.

Replacement is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 07:07 PM
  #514
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Messam was a Canadian...they have value in this League.

Not buying the cap space issue either. There has to be more to this...Hervey couldn't be that daft.
As I mentioned one wonders about the due dilligence and attention to detail of this org.

Suddenly Messam didn't want to be here. But Boyd did, and we cut Boyd twice and favored Messam at every turn in who was dressed and who was getting the downs.

Seems sensible..

Replacement is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 07:17 PM
  #515
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm sold on the bolded at the moment. We'll see what Reilly can muster.

But really I'm not sure what direction this football club is going. Sure looks like some belt tightening last couple years.

Also I'm confused by a club that favored Messam over Boyd consistently and now deemed Messam absolutely expendable, and now has one ready running back in the whole org. That spells confusion to me. If Messam isn't the guy then he's not the guy. Why did they spend a lot of the season trying to forcefeed this with a guy "who clearly didn't want to be here"

Sounds like random decisions and yet more confusion to me.
It's the force of nature and mathematics at work. You spend more in one area, you must lose it at another. Cheap? They just forked over 140,000 for Reilly for next year, 70,000 of which is a signing bonus. Personally, from what I've seen and know, and of course last year confirmed it, I'd rather spend more money on the QB position than others. Not crazy money, but certainly more. And we found out what cheaping out and making wrong decisions at that position will do to you last year, right? At the end of the day, I want the resources to go to the right people and properly allocated. Maxing out at the cap is not and has never been an issue with this org. As for Messam's big fat contract extension he received last year, you'd need to talk to Tillman about that. While you're at it, maybe ask him what he thinks we should do with that kicker we acquired from Montreal last year for a 1st round and 4th round pick. You know, the one that never played, save for a solitary blocked kick.

If Messam was playing ahead of Boyd last year as you stated, why did Boyd play in the playoff game and Messam didn't have a sniff?

Stoneman89 is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 07:28 PM
  #516
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
It's the force of nature and mathematics at work. You spend more in one area, you must lose it at another. Cheap? They just forked over 140,000 for Reilly for next year, 70,000 of which is a signing bonus. Personally, from what I've seen and know, and of course last year confirmed it, I'd rather spend more money on the QB position than others. Not crazy money, but certainly more. And we found out what cheaping out and making wrong decisions at that position will do to you last year, right? At the end of the day, I want the resources to go to the right people and properly allocated. Maxing out at the cap is not and has never been an issue with this org. As for Messam's big fat contract extension he received last year, you'd need to talk to Tillman about that. While you're at it, maybe ask him what he thinks we should do with that kicker we acquired from Montreal last year for a 1st round and 4th round pick. You know, the one that never played, save for a solitary blocked kick.

If Messam was playing ahead of Boyd last year as you stated, why did Boyd play in the playoff game and Messam didn't have a sniff?
I thought we were paying REilly 70K, looks like I haven't been following closely.

Didn't we dress both Messam and Boyd in playoffs? I seem to recall that. In anycase Messam had more reps and was dressed more while both were available. Really looked like the club was going with Messam and thus why they released Boyd twice. That doesn't sound confused to you?

This org is a gongshow.

Replacement is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 07:41 PM
  #517
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I thought we were paying REilly 70K, looks like I haven't been following closely.

Didn't we dress both Messam and Boyd in playoffs? I seem to recall that. In anycase Messam had more reps and was dressed more while both were available. Really looked like the club was going with Messam and thus why they released Boyd twice. That doesn't sound confused to you?

This org is a gongshow.
Did any of what happened last year make any sense to you? Of not, neither myself. New GM now and different way of doing things. The gongshow you're referring to was last year. I will judge this year on it's own merits. So far, much more good than bad.


Messam has zero's across the board for his playoff experience last year.

Stoneman89 is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 09:53 PM
  #518
oilers4cup
No More Koolade
 
oilers4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Last place
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,259
vCash: 50
@Dave_CHED: Acquiring OL Carson Rockhill according to Hervey fills the void of not having that first round pick. #Eskimos #CFL #yeg

oilers4cup is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 10:03 PM
  #519
oilers4cup
No More Koolade
 
oilers4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Last place
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,259
vCash: 50
@Dave_CHED: Bottome line: Hervey says Messam, Wojt, and Lawrence would be backups in 2013. They simply didn't fit the plans. #Eskimos #CFL #yeg

oilers4cup is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 10:52 PM
  #520
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
@Dave_CHED: Bottome line: Hervey says Messam, Wojt, and Lawrence would be backups in 2013. They simply didn't fit the plans. #Eskimos #CFL #yeg
Exactly what I said earlier about Messam. Charles has won the starters job. You can't have a backup making what Messam is making, and he can't play special teams. Again, your salary structure has to be relative to the value of the players on it.

Stoneman89 is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 11:09 PM
  #521
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,796
vCash: 500
Messam has always been a head case and always worn out his welcome where ever he has gone. Even when he had the big year for us he took a slew of horrible selfish penalties.

Beerfish is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 11:21 PM
  #522
samiam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 147
vCash: 500
Let the dust settle before evaluating

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Brutal trade, in my view. A player of his calibre should warrant a second-rounder, I think. He's paid a high salary which reduces his appeal, but the guy was the outstanding Canadian and he's young. Maybe a bit injury prone, but a sixth-rounder is a terrible return. Ha, let's fire Swerve and bring back the other guy. /joke

I hate some of the returns we got in certain trades - Ricky Ray and Chris Pronger come to mind.



Not to Hi-jack this thread, but part of the return for Mr. Pronger included one Laddy Smid, as well as one Jodan Eberle. Fixtures to the organization for the next 10-15 yrs I'm sure.

Not saying the return on Messem will equate to a hill of beans, but let's wait and see what shedding that contract will allow us to do.

samiam is online now  
Old
02-05-2013, 11:25 PM
  #523
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,690
vCash: 500
The Wojt move puzzles me. I understand they want to move Rottier into Wojt's position but I've always been a big Wojt fan and I think he's a big-time offensive lineman in this league when healthy.

The only way I'm okay with this move is if Rockhill turns into a legit prospect and if the Eskies sign Perrett in free agency.

__________________
Burn Girl Prom Queen
Cerebral is online now  
Old
02-06-2013, 01:26 AM
  #524
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan
 
Paralyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
The Wojt move puzzles me. I understand they want to move Rottier into Wojt's position but I've always been a big Wojt fan and I think he's a big-time offensive lineman in this league when healthy.

The only way I'm okay with this move is if Rockhill turns into a legit prospect and if the Eskies sign Perrett in free agency.
Well, remember, if Hervey said Sherritt is legit, I'm sure Rockhill will be solid as well.

Paralyzer is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 01:33 AM
  #525
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
Well, remember, if Hervey said Sherritt is legit, I'm sure Rockhill will be solid as well.
Hervey said Kavis Reed was legit and a very good coach.

We can take either extreme on what his judgement and assessment is.

Really all we know is we don't know.

Replacement is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.