HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL thread: Esks in camp

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 12:07 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Hopefully the new GM is right and Hervey/Reed will be the dynamic duo that the dysfunctional duo of Tillman/Reed couldn't be. Coach Kavis' work ethic has always been there. Now, able to focus solely on his duties as Head Coach, we'll be able to accurately judge if the aptitude is there.
This is a guy who went with Kerry Joseph as our starting Qb. How did off field distractions have anything to do with that?

Multiple time count violations, sending the punt team out without the kicker, there are many examples of sheer incompetence. The handling of the running backs all year and specifically in the playoff game was another head scratcher.

Reed is a buffoon.

A gm who refuses to see that and/or lets the gong show continue unabated is NOT what this team needs.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
There would have been a full blown mutiny if he had tried to veto the trade. People cant put that on him. But the timing of the Tillman firing was strange to say the least. He has given no real good explanation for the timing of that firing imo. If Tillman was that bad he should have canned him earlier, like right after the kicker trade.

If they were going to wait until the week of the first playoff game they should have just waited until after it was over.
Gotta agree with this. The timing of the firing is the strangest part, not the actual firing. Should have waited till the playoffs were over, for better or worse.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:26 PM
bellagiobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I'd like to hope too, but it's doubtful. I love that Hervey is the GM now, but everything surrounding this just screams old boys club that is going to save certain guys and not allow certain guys to do their job to the fullest.
Our last two GM's were not part of the OBC and were complete failures. As long as the guy is competent, I like the hiring of someone with a history with the team. Hervey experienced what the Eskimo way was as a player and was a winner as a player. All things being equal, I prefer the guy that already has ties to our past and our community.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:36 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

It can't be worse can it?

Thats the mentality I have going into next season. This season was such a gong show and every front that I think that we only have to go up at this point.

I hope that i'm not proven wrong.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:37 PM
HockeyOrDie
Hockey Hockey Hockey

David William Naylor ‏@TSNDaveNaylor
Edmonton expected to soon announce the signing of former Miami Hurricanes quarterback Jacory Harris. Can he be The Guy?? #cfl #esks

Old
12-11-2012, 12:46 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKY D ELEPHANT View Post
It can't be worse can it?

Thats the mentality I have going into next season. This season was such a gong show and every front that I think that we only have to go up at this point.

I hope that i'm not proven wrong.
it can get worse if we do not find a new QB

Old
12-11-2012, 01:38 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
This is a guy who went with Kerry Joseph as our starting Qb. How did off field distractions have anything to do with that?

Multiple time count violations, sending the punt team out without the kicker, there are many examples of sheer incompetence. The handling of the running backs all year and specifically in the playoff game was another head scratcher.

Reed is a buffoon.

A gm who refuses to see that and/or lets the gong show continue unabated is NOT what this team needs.
I wasn't making excuses for Reed. Everything you bring up is there on his resume as is an 12W 8L season in 2011 which included a home playoff win and players who respect him as much off-the-record as on (including #22 who he yelled at in the heat of a game). If the 2012 gong show continues and the team doesn't win, he'll be gone just like any other unsuccessful coach would be.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:00 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyOrDie View Post
David William Naylor ‏@TSNDaveNaylor
Edmonton expected to soon announce the signing of former Miami Hurricanes quarterback Jacory Harris. Can he be The Guy?? #cfl #esks
2 posts in 2 years? wtf?

Anyways is this guy good?

Old
12-11-2012, 02:33 PM
IV XIV XCI

Seeing Ed Hervey's interview yesterday gave me some reassurance that he is at least dedicated to righting this ship. I like his Green/Gold passion if nothing else. He seems much more intelligent than I gave him credit for.

What's the status on Matt Nichols recovery?

Let's not quit on this guy. He might be our leader for years to come. Hopefully he can fully recover his strength (mental/physical).

Old
12-11-2012, 02:43 PM
bellagiobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV XIV XCI View Post
Seeing Ed Hervey's interview yesterday gave me some reassurance that he is at least dedicated to righting this ship. I like his Green/Gold passion if nothing else. He seems much more intelligent than I gave him credit for.

What's the status on Matt Nichols recovery?

Let's not quit on this guy. He might be our leader for years to come. Hopefully he can fully recover his strength (mental/physical).
He tweeted this last week:

Matt Nichols ‏
Crazy how much better my ankle feels already. 6 hours a day of rehab right now. Gonna get more intense as the weeks go by.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagiobob View Post
He tweeted this last week:

Matt Nichols ‏
Crazy how much better my ankle feels already. 6 hours a day of rehab right now. Gonna get more intense as the weeks go by.
Somebody ought to tell the poor guy they had to amputate.

Old
12-11-2012, 04:19 PM
HockeyOrDie
Hockey Hockey Hockey

Quote:
2 posts in 2 years? wtf?

lol I don't post very often

As for the twitter quote...I was wondering the same thing and was hoping someone could elaborate.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Hopefully the new GM is right and Hervey/Reed will be the dynamic duo that the dysfunctional duo of Tillman/Reed couldn't be. Coach Kavis' work ethic has always been there. Now, able to focus solely on his duties as Head Coach, we'll be able to accurately judge if the aptitude is there.
We have no choice but to hope this will be an exceptional case, but once a coach has a season as bad as Reed did, they almost never turn in around and show that it was an aberation. Quite the opposite. I'll believe it when I see it.

Reed has essentially gotten a free pass, with 100% of the blame heaped on Tillman. Tillman didn't tell him to start Joseph over Nicholls in the playoffs after he'd already been fired. Tillman didn't refuse to run the ball throughout the season, and Tillman didn't cause us to set what is surely a league record for time count and procedure penalties. Bad coaching was the #1 reason we lost in the majority of our losses this year. Which speaks volumes considering the QB position was as poor as it was.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
2 posts in 2 years? wtf?

Don't remember watching much of him while he was at The U. His TD-INT ratio wasn't great, but at least he was a passing QB, not just a srcambler. The raw tools might be there, and he's just 22, so maybe there's some potential. Surprising that he didn't get a look in the NFL though, and he's listed at 6'4, so it wasn't a case of being too small.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

I haven't posted once since the Hervey hire because I wanted to collect my thoughts and not do a knee jerk reaction.

I'll be blunt here. This is the Edmonton Eskimos desperately seeking public approval and hiring Hervey on after basically canvassing and noting public opinion for awhile. This is a populist move. To make it more contrived, manipulative the presser is even scripted with no more "Ego Empire" nonsense and Hervey when asked about his relationship with Tillman stating "there wasn't one" With buffoons like Reed and Rhodes grinning like cheshire idiots on either side. Either of whom wouldn't have asked a question about Tillman as little as a month ago and are desperate to save their own bacon and latch onto another *savior* which gives them one more season..

Really what we have here is idiots incorporated basically anointing the one guy left that's popular among fans in desperate hope this will accomplish something. Well really what it accomplishes is optics and trying to flush the bad Tillman taste out. Maybe sell a few season seats before the stink of another season sets in.

So people like Terry Jones are clapping like seals buying this latest move hook, line, and sinker because somebody said "Ego Empire" Gold Jerry...

Meanwhile, I note that we still have Rhodes who doesn't know a damn thing about football and never watched a CFL game before the hire, and doesn't seem to know anything about being the CEO of an org either. Then we have Reed who doesn't know a thing about pro coaching, and now backed by Hervey who doesn't know a thing about managing a pro team.

So the 3 top guys in the org get set for another offseason without a clue, without a trace of anybody with knowledge of how to perform their roles or run a football team.

Again I feel like I'm being played here. The 3 ring circus is still in town.

Last edited by Replacement: 12-11-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old
12-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I just saw some of Hervey's comments on Sportscentre. Yeah... he was talking about Tillman and he didn't mince words. Based on his comments he knows that the team needs a massive upgrade at QB and he's going to push hard to find a suitable replacement for Ray. He was against the trade last year and he and Tillman didn't see eye to eye on a number of issues.
This is laughable.

Looks like all the remaining captains on the Whitestar line are conveniently blaming Bruce Ismay-Tilman for the disaster although its duly noted none of them did or said a damn thing at any stage where the disaster could have been avoided.

But its so comforting to know that Rhodes, Reed, and Hervey were all against Tillman all the time, could barely stand the guy, and you know, hate him, just like the fans want.= <taped, canned golf clapping> and all is well in Eskimoland.

AT what point do I wonder do these guys start saying the same thing about Reed? Or Rhodes, or whoever. Who gets in the meat grinder next? It should make anybody sick that Rhodes and Hervey are firmly behind Kavis Reed who removed any doubt that he's incapable of coaching a pro football club.

I could give a **** if the trapdoor opens again and more buffoons meet their end.

At what point do we stop buying that the "next guy" is going to right the ship? It takes zero candor to take shots at the guy that recently departed. It would take guts to point the finger at anybody that remains..

This here needs a fullscale flush. At this point just blow up the entire management and start over. Hire people that actually have specific credentials and experience for which they are hired.

Last edited by Replacement: 12-11-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old
12-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This is laughable.

Looks like all the remaining captains on the Whitestar line are conveniently blaming Bruce Ismay-Tilman for the disaster although its duly noted none of them did or said a damn thing at any stage where the disaster could have been avoided.

But its so comforting to know that Rhodes, Reed, and Hervey were all against Tillman all the time, could barely stand the guy, and you know, hate him, just like the fans want.= <taped, canned golf clapping> and all is well in Eskimoland.

AT what point do I wonder do these guys start saying the same thing about Reed? Or Rhodes, or whoever. Who gets in the meat grinder next? It should make anybody sick that Rhodes and Hervey are firmly behind Kavis Reed who removed any doubt that he's incapable of coaching a pro football club.

I could give a **** if the trapdoor opens again and more buffoons meet their end.

At what point do we stop buying that the "next guy" is going to right the ship? It takes zero candor to take shots at the guy that recently departed. It would take guts to point the finger at anybody that remains..

This here needs a fullscale flush. At this point just blow up the entire management and start over. Hire people that actually have specific credentials and experience for which they are hired.
This is why you don't drink and post kids!

I'm a bit more optimistic. Lets see how it plays out. Hervey clearly is what Tillman wasn't.

Also Burris seemed pretty pissed about the whole Cortez situation in Hamilton. Perhaps we can lure them to Edmonton. Burris had a great year and could be a decent stop gap, has decent legs, he's actually won the Grey Cup. He was my pick after Ray was shipped out of town.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
This is why you don't drink and post kids!

I'm a bit more optimistic. Lets see how it plays out. Hervey clearly is what Tillman wasn't.

Also Burris seemed pretty pissed about the whole Cortez situation in Hamilton. Perhaps we can lure them to Edmonton. Burris had a great year and could be a decent stop gap, has decent legs, he's actually won the Grey Cup. He was my pick after Ray was shipped out of town.
Burris was my pick as well.

I don't get what we know about Hervey as a GM of a pro football club. We're drifting in even more uncharted waters at this point. Fact is we don't know a thing about how this pans out. Its simply an optics move by a desperate org noting drastically decreasing ticket sales. Hervey could say anything as long as some shots at Tillman were included. What the hell does this mean lol:

Quote:
"Winning is what I want to do, and I won't stop until I do," he said. "That's just how I'm wired. But I also believe in structure. I believe in the best players, I believe in the best staff, but I'm not mistaken to believe that it's not about the football team. We are a football club, and football is what we do."
If Danny Macs face was attached to the above Hervey quote there'd be another year of groaning. But because Hervey looks and sounds the part(whatever that means) he's a shoo in? I can't even gather anything about what his goals, strategy, gamplan is. "Winning"? Yeah, every other GM is out to do that as well.

Or this on Reed:

Quote:
"He is the guy. I believe in him," Hervey said "I want to give him the opportunity to coach this football team without any side distractions. Just give him a department that can work well with him that's efficient. I've had a chance to work with Kavis and he's very good."
****, any game I watched Kavis Reed WAS the distraction. Reed just got a get out of jail pass. Another year of a football club looking absolutely lost on the sidelines. lets be honest here, how the hell could Tillman, who rarely even showed up in Edmonton, be responsible for how disorganized this clownshow looked in nearly every game. Thats on coaching, thats on Reed.

You do know that Hervey means more of Reed and Reed means more of Joseph.

Its another circle jerk. Same old same old.

I'm tired of seeing how it plays out. My optimism with this club has expired. Somehow I tried to maintain optimism all year but this is a joke org continuing to be a joke.

I see through the lame presser and its intent. Reads like it was scripted by Lelacher (sp)

Last edited by Replacement: 12-12-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old
12-12-2012, 12:27 AM
abootzky

Say what you want about those of us who are okay with the Hervey hiring. You can't deny that there's not exactly a multitude of candidates out there right now for CFL GM jobs that perfectly fit the bill. Maciocia was an odd choice plain & simple. Tillman (questionable character and all) was a 'safe' hire after the DM debacle because of his previous experience and success. Hervey is a popular choice among the media, Eskimo alumni, the surviving office staff from ET's reign of weirdness, and most season ticket holders.

Remember that the 2 most successful Eskimo GM's in my lifetime (Norm Kimball & Hugh Campbell) came in here with as much GM experience as Ed Hervey has (none). His popularity will buy him some patience and there's nothing wrong with that. Of course success isn't guaranteed. It's not inconceivable either.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:33 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Say what you want about those of us who are okay with the Hervey hiring. You can't deny that there's not exactly a multitude of candidates out there right now for CFL GM jobs that perfectly fit the bill. Maciocia was an odd choice plain & simple. Tillman (questionable character and all) was a 'safe' hire after the DM debacle because of his previous experience and success. Hervey is a popular choice among the media, Eskimo alumni, the surviving office staff from ET's reign of weirdness, and most season ticket holders.

Remember that the 2 most successful Eskimo GM's in my lifetime (Norm Kimball & Hugh Campbell) came in here with as much GM experience as Ed Hervey has (none). His popularity will buy him some patience and there's nothing wrong with that. Of course success isn't guaranteed. It's not inconceivable either.
All I'm saying is I don't understand it. 80% of Eskimos fans are strongly behind this and suddenly saying this is going to resurrect the club. Basically everywhere I look, read, hear, in Etown is saying how great this hire is.

On what basis? Hervey was a good player, maybe a good scout. He's a huge unknown with zero experience at the role he's just been hired for.

Campbell didn't come here as a GM, he came here as a coach, and was a great coach who eventually, years later, became a GM. Who was properly groomed for that role by a competent org that was topshelf in every regard. So its incomparable.

Also just to clarify some confusion the esks org has stated they had "groomed" Hervey for the GM role. Hervey himself has stated he had nothing at all to do with Tillman.
So who exactly was grooming Hervey? Donald duck?

Sorry if I don't buy the bs the org is trotting out and the lame presser that clearly milked one intent.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:40 AM
bellagiobob

Quote:
I haven't posted once since the Hervey hire because I wanted to collect my thoughts and not do a knee jerk reaction.

I'll be blunt here. This is the Edmonton Eskimos desperately seeking public approval and hiring Hervey on after basically canvassing and noting public opinion for awhile. This is a populist move. To make it more contrived, manipulative the presser is even scripted with no more "Ego Empire" nonsense and Hervey when asked about his relationship with Tillman stating "there wasn't one" With buffoons like Reed and Rhodes grinning like cheshire idiots on either side. Either of whom wouldn't have asked a question about Tillman as little as a month ago and are desperate to save their own bacon and latch onto another *savior* which gives them one more season..

Really what we have here is idiots incorporated basically anointing the one guy left that's popular among fans in desperate hope this will accomplish something. Well really what it accomplishes is optics and trying to flush the bad Tillman taste out. Maybe sell a few season seats before the stink of another season sets in.

So people like Terry Jones are clapping like seals buying this latest move hook, line, and sinker because somebody said "Ego Empire" Gold Jerry...

Meanwhile, I note that we still have Rhodes who doesn't know a damn thing about football and never watched a CFL game before the hire, and doesn't seem to know anything about being the CEO of an org either. Then we have Reed who doesn't know a thing about pro coaching, and now backed by Hervey who doesn't know a thing about managing a pro team.

So the 3 top guys in the org get set for another offseason without a clue, without a trace of anybody with knowledge of how to perform their roles or run a football team.

Again I feel like I'm being played here. The 3 ring circus is still in town.
If you are looking for a GM who has had previous success in the CFL at that position, who would you have interviewed for the position?

Old
12-12-2012, 12:45 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
If you are looking for a GM who has had previous success in the CFL at that position, who would you have interviewed for the position?
Why would I be specifically looking at a CFL GM? I would look anywhere for a GM that took the reigns of a club and built a contender. College, Pro, wherever.

I would look for a GM that has experience being, you know, a GM.

Nothing should be as obvious in my post that I see the combination of Rhodes, Reed, Hervey as offering a laughable lack of experience.

We basically have 3 guys who won't have a clue what they're doing and which is already obvious from this past year from two of them.

But again I'm supposed to buy that Rhodes was handicapped by Tillman, Reed was handicapped by Tillman.

I saw Rhodes and Reed being repeatedly incompetent all on their own. Now I see Hervey standing firm with these clowns. What am I supposed to think?

Old
12-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
I'm wondering this as well.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:00 AM
bellagiobob

Quote:
Why would I be specifically looking at a CFL GM? I would look anywhere for a GM that took the reigns of a club and built a contender. College, Pro, wherever.
The CFL is a different animal than the NFL and US college ball. Many hot shot US coaches have come up here and failed to grasp the nuances of the game. You need somebody that understands the importance of building with Canadian talent and has experience with our game. I have issues with Rhodes/Reed, but I think Hervey has what it takes to at least be given a chance. Was just curious what names you were interested in being interviewed for the position.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:27 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
The CFL is a different animal than the NFL and US college ball. Many hot shot US coaches have come up here and failed to grasp the nuances of the game. You need somebody that understands the importance of building with Canadian talent and has experience with our game. I have issues with Rhodes/Reed, but I think Hervey has what it takes to at least be given a chance. Was just curious what names you were interested in being interviewed for the position.
Being that its not my job I didn't have a shortlist at the ready. Obviously I don't agree with you that running a club here is clearly different than elsewhere. Can't be that hard to understand our import rules, importance of Canadian Content. Its football. All the guys that come here, including Hervey, adapted to Canadian football.

The first action Hervey will take as GM will be extending Reed's contract. Thats already a problem. Wrong decision right off the bat and the biggest one there is to make.

My patience with this org with Reed and Rhodes running things is dead and gone.

Closed Thread